As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Spoke too soon and finally got a clear with the bow! Got down to 18 health with no DDs left, but I did it! I did the stupid Anvil thing hoping to get Flurry Shot, but ended up with Sniper and Explosive instead. Basically the only way I am any good with the bow is if I ignore the Attack completely and just spam Special and Cast. I'm not patient enough and dash around too much to use an attack that needs a half second to charge up.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I built the habit of firing off my special before reloading and had to break that habit for the reload aspect because it wouldn't proc the bonus damage if I hit special before reload.

The main problem I have with Rail is that you can't stand still for that long on the actually difficult fights, and if you spec for AOE damage then that generally costs you single-target burst, and you generally can't take advantage of the rapid damage stunlock against those same difficult mobs. Also its range is just short enough to put you in just as much danger as a melee weapon for everything except the small rush mobs.

It's just a wonky weapon by default and I tend to value its special over its primary fire, especially if you can get one of the baller Daedalus upgrades.

But yeah, chain lightning builds in general can be hilariously effective for any multi-hit weapon fire, especially if you get Jolt and a good duo boon. I'm pretty sure my first successful shield run used lightning with special spam.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Since you can dodge while you shoot I play the rail like the fists. Start firing and dodge through the enemy, reload/special, and repeat

Ethea on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    My fastest weapon is the spear. But it is nowhere near my safest. I get like 5 minute faster times on it, but I limp into the final fight with very little left in the tank.

On the other hand, give Zagreus a gun and he takes the Thanatos keepsake and laughs his way to the big big damage bank.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Holy motherforking shirtballs!
    jdswbliis5zr.jpg

Ended the run with about 83 health and no defiances. During the run, right before Lernie, I had all of 2 health. Had to do Lernie only taking 1 damage.

It was freakin' nerve racking!

And with all that adrenaline pumping, I forgot to even use Skelly. :rotate:

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    LOLOLOLOLOL Pact of Punishment
    The Theseus upgrade! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Who's employee of the ambiguous underworld time?
    Gxq0VS9.png

It's me!

... somehow!

I have no idea what triggers this!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Looks like Switch/PC cross-save went in today!

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Also, I'm not sure if I just missed this, or its something I haven't stumbled on yet:
    Do we ever find out who hired skelly? Are we to just guess that its Nyx or maybe even Hades? Have I missed some clue?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Also, I'm not sure if I just missed this, or its something I haven't stumbled on yet:
    Do we ever find out who hired skelly? Are we to just guess that its Nyx or maybe even Hades? Have I missed some clue?
    You do find out eventually :)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Annnd now I get to buy it on PC, since I was waiting on crossplay! Oh no poor me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cross play is super exciting... but I'm too nervous about it breaking achievements to actually use it. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I did a runthrough with the Aspect of Arthur yesterday. It's by no means my favourite weapon, and I don't think the boons were that great a combination... but the whole thing just wakkawakkawakka'ed through poor Dad's health like it was M&Ms. I almost felt sorry for him.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Has anyone managed to beat
    Charon
    ? I’m not sure at what point I should try for that fight again, and if thats even worthwhile for pushing the story forward.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    He seems to rely on projectiles, I imagine Athena's dash would give you a massive advantage there

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Charon isn't super hard, though the first time I beat him was with Excalibur so the bubble that slows projectiles went a long way. There are some side-story hooks and a prophecy that requires beating him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Charon
    ? I’m not sure at what point I should try for that fight again, and if thats even worthwhile for pushing the story forward.

Generally don't try it in Tartarus, but if you have a decent build you can try it. I don't think it has any narrative influence except for the related prophecy.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just had had a run end against Lernie because I forgot I activated Extreme Measures and the trap damage increase. 400% more damage lava against Lernie was brutal.

Sucks too because I had all off the Demeter/Artemis Cast buffs going and was probably going to stroll through the rest of the game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I just finally got Zag to nickname Lernie in my latest run. Not sure what triggers it but I'm halfway through getting Heat 1 runs on every weapon.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I had a weird run where I got all the way to Dad without a boon on attack, special, or cast. 13% critical chance on all damage, thanks to poms and pom flower. I'm amazed I got that far with no damage boost to speak of, especially with Extreme Measures 3 along the way. Appropriate boons just never got offered after Tartarus.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    I had a weird run where I got all the way to Dad without a boon on attack, special, or cast. 13% critical chance on all damage, thanks to poms and pom flower. I'm amazed I got that far with no damage boost to speak of, especially with Extreme Measures 3 along the way. Appropriate boons just never got offered after Tartarus.

Never discount flat damage boosts!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Finally did a run with Aspect of
    Lucifer and ugh it was terrible. I ended up with Deflect on Attack and wow, what a terrible decision. I assumed the deflect would work on the full length of the laser beam, and I had triple beam, so I figured I would just spam circles with the laser but instead the deflect only works at literally melee range and also the stupid weapon auto-locks when there's a target in range so you can't aim the beam where you want regardless.

Clearly I should've picked something like Chill or Hangover instead. Or even taken Poseidon knockback and just spammed Special/Cast and used Attack to keep range forever.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    And that's credits! Scrying pool says I got there in 35 escape attempts. I'm really so very impressed with the game and how they built the narrative so that it continues after you "beat" the game.

Now to fill out relationships, unlock the rest of the secret weapon aspects, and run the heat up.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Oh there's a Hades thread huh. How did I not notice this thread before

HELLO HADES THREAD i play this game a lot

The other day, I completed my 32 Heat run:

EpPIZiMXMAMLp6E.jpg
    ZNSBHE1.png

I had to play to my own strengths as a player, finding things that fit within my playstyle. I'm very fast and aggressive and reckless so turning on things like +Attack or +Attackspeed/Movespeed were kinda no-bueno in combination with everything else. Hell, even EM4 Dad was proving to be a bit too much, even though I'd been clearing him regularly. So after fiddling with toggles I finally found stuff that worked for me. I figured I could make a 5-minute time limit work.

I had 1.68 seconds left on the timer after killing Dad :rotate:

I also like to record my EM4 Dad fights, cause I think they're interesting to watch. Here's what are probably my best two clears:

(Spoiler Warning for Extreme Measures 4! If you care about that kinda thing, I mean)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOhgqFXs7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkkcHzFcV0

game's pretty good tho yknow

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hey @Dibby, welcome to the Hades thread. You're....really good at the game. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Hey Dibby, welcome to the Hades thread. You're....really good at the game. :)

THANKS HOMIE I'VE GOT OVER 174 HOURS PLAYED SO FAR

edit: Oh, yeah, I'd been playing a bunch during Early Access, too, though, so. But I didn't really start to get like, good til after the game launched (I had stopped playing at some point during EA, took a looooong break). Back during Early Access I was like "pfft, Bow, what a dumb weapon" and now it's like one of the weapons I'm best at! That and Fists, yup yup.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Had three fun builds last night,
    1. Secret gun with unlimited ammo and Aphrodite on attack with the legendary that activates charm - turns it into a love-ray, like a 60s Batman villain.
    2. Secret sword with all of Poseidons knockback stuff - turns it into the baseball bat from Smash Bros.
    3. Zeus shield with all the the lightning boons - constant, unending lightning.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Charon

Oh I have good advice for this one. It's a seemingly pretty hard fight but not too bad once you figure out what you need to do.
    So first thing's first: my boy hits HARD. Everything of his hits ridiculously hard. I think his slash hits for like 50, his wave hits for 40...

In general, you wanna stay close-ish to him, not far away. This is because he always winds up to slash in front of him. That slash will ALWAYS be in front from the moment the wind-up happens. So what you do is literally dash behind him when you see the wind-up, swipe goes out, then dash behind him again (because he'll turn around and swipe where you were standing). Once you master this, the fight becomes a lot more managable. From there, it's just avoiding his waves, avoiding the ghostblobs that come from the corners of the screen (he'll motion where it'll be coming from). The last set of ghostblobs is tricky since it comes from multiple directions, you dash through one set and then dash through the second set, try to stagger dashes if possible, makes it easier than trying to cross both at the same time.

He also does do a melee-range stun aoe, occasionally, but I don't think that does damage, just stuns you. It's not too bad to eat it, honestly.

The reward is pretty good though. It's definitely worth picking up, and the more you do the fight the more comfortable you'll get with it.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    This game just gives and takes away.

Ran a heat three Lucifer Aspect and didn't get a single Olympian boon by the third room of Asphodel. I got a starter Artemis and...that was it.

Darkness, Gems, Gold, Nectar, or Health the entire run up until that point.

Ran into miniboss Witches and just got murdered.

• Options
    Wow that's insane, I don't think I've ever gotten RNG that bad. It feels like that isn't even possible, like they probably check at some point you get a boon, right?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Epk7TJ4XYAAQtco.jpg

sometimes i get fun build ideas such as "i wonder how fucking hard i can get Hestia's shot to hit for"

PRETTY FUCKIN' HARD

2.3k crits, nbd yknow?

edit: i think it should be 2.3k if the math is right anyway. base damage of 150, crit multiplier of 372% (200% base + 150% from Heart Rend + 22% from Clean Kill), regular damage bonuses of 232% (60% from Artemis, 62% from Chaos, 50% from Boiling Blood, 40% from Privileged Status, 20% from Ravenous Will)...

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I really wish modified damage numbers were visible on the stats screen to make comparisons like that more visible. I have a pretty tough time intuiting what effect each modifier will end up having on the final score.

This is probably because I am so steeped lately in engine-building board games, which have all the same kinds of combos but where the numbers are small because you have to do the math yourself.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Wow that's insane, I don't think I've ever gotten RNG that bad. It feels like that isn't even possible, like they probably check at some point you get a boon, right?

You are guaranteed 2 shops an area, which always have at least one boon in them.

Also, mini-bosses always give a boon. It is possible to skip your mini-boss and also skip both your shops. But you'd have to work for it.

BSoB on
  • Options
    I really wish modified damage numbers were visible on the stats screen to make comparisons like that more visible. I have a pretty tough time intuiting what effect each modifier will end up having on the final score.

This is probably because I am so steeped lately in engine-building board games, which have all the same kinds of combos but where the numbers are small because you have to do the math yourself.

Or at least a better way to test out builds on Skelly.

I had to consult the Hades wiki for the damage calculation formula and I'm still not 100% sure I got it right.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Here's a fun video of Hades developers watching a twenty five minute fresh file clear.

https://youtu.be/VKepf4jyn4o

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So, it took me just shy of 30 runs to beat Hades for the first time. I lost a couple times after that, and am now on a 5-game winning streak. It really does feel like you cross a threshold on being able to complete a run, and it gets a lot easier after (until you start ramping up the Heat).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

Or at least a better way to test out builds on Skelly.

I had to consult the Hades wiki for the damage calculation formula and I'm still not 100% sure I got it right.

Being able to summon Skelly into a cleared room to beat on and test your build would be nice

• Options
    edited December 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Here's a fun video of Hades developers watching a twenty five minute fresh file clear.

https://youtu.be/VKepf4jyn4o

HOLY CRAP DUDE I KNOW IT'S A SPEEDRUN BUT COULD YOU AT LEAST PAUSE SO THAT US NON SPEEDRUNNER SCRUBS CAN READ THE UNIQUE DIALOGUE FOR THE ENDBOSS AFJLSDLKJFdskljd

(Also, I'm glad the devs are gently appalled that he doesn't even look to see if the Good Shade is there!!! HOW DARE YOU NOT GREET THE SHADE.)

*EDIT*

By the power of being VERY quick on the draw with the Youtube pause button, I have transcribed it. Note that it's *mostly* the same, but it notably does not reference you having ever attempted/gotten very far before (because, well, you haven't). I'm still transcribing it so that y'all can know :)
    HADES: ... I never grew accustomed to the air, up here. It gusts senselessly whichever way it pleases. I suppose you must prefer it to the stillness of the air below.

ZAGREUS: You know, you're right. The air up here seems pretty good so far. But I will reserve judgement till I've had my fill. I have to say, though, Father: The Helm of Darkness suits you. I'm touched you'd dust it off on my account.

HADES: It should not have come to this. For all your antics with me and around the House, I always kept my temper, have I not? Unlike you.

ZAGREUS: Well let's see. You've berated me repeatedly and often. You've lied to je. Mustered a bunch of incompetent wretches to try to kill me. But, sure, I'll grant you that you've always kept most of your anger bottled up. All that's about to change, then?

HADES: We're gods, boy. Killing one another is our lot. Although, I always thought I was above it. I told you that you cannot leave this place. It seems I must enforce my rules myself. I'm sending you home, now.

Spoilers that follow are for winning this fight! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    -ROUND 2- (spoilers: there's a round 2. He has a second health bar. Oops.)

Hades: ...Tsch. To have been brought this low... by my own ungrateful child. I would expect such treatment from my brothers, but from you..? Nrrrgghhhh....

--On Victory--

HADES: I... how... you... Go. Go, then! Go!! Get out of here! Get out!

ZAGREUS: I told you that I would, father. And I'm going to. Goodbye.

HADES: ... Wait. Wait, just... if you... if you find her. If you somehow find her? Tell her something for me, tell her... Tell her Cerberus is doing very well.

ZAGREUS: What? Wait. I don't think I owe you any favors, here. Though, answer me one question, and I'll give it some thought, how's that?

HADES: ... I know your question, boy. But, ask it anyway.

ZAGREUS: Persephone. My mother. Why did she leave?

HADES: ... I... urgh... blood and darkness...

HADES: There... is... no... escape...

--Hades Dies--
    (He'll get better)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The fight winning dialogue is the same, I think. The intro reads similar but might be a little different.

• Options

(Also, I'm glad the devs are gently appalled that he doesn't even look to see if the Good Shade is there!!! HOW DARE YOU NOT GREET THE SHADE.)

always thank your local good shade

ALWAYS

DNiDlnb.png