As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monolith Productions' 1997 Build Engine Classic "Blood" Getting Nightdive Remaster

2»

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Update #1 (1.8.8) is available now!

Hello Everybody,

We have been working hard over the last week or so, listening to your feedback and comments and, today we are happy to release our first patch for Blood: Fresh Supply!

Steam users don't need to do anything to receive the update. You will receive the update automatically through Steam.

Below is a list of the following fixes and alterations:
    Fix video crash when switching from OpenGL to other renderers,
    Fluidsynth now loads MIDI internally, resolving some instances of user crashes depending on the user's directory name,
    Fix CD audio music not being present when reloading a level,
    Fix MP monster settings not being respected,
    Change "Show Player Weapons" to "Show Player Weapons Overhead",
    Fix armour being affected by friendly fire if friendly fire was switched off,
    Remove the three extra recoil SFX for Cultists,
    Tesla blast projectile now renders as flat - adding custom definition entry for making it always pitch towards the viewer,
    Bug fix with TNT/Spray can disappearing when exploding in hands while on the last ammo,
    Removing the run glitch feature,
    Fixed incorrect negative shade for candles, causing the sprite effect to appear brighter,
    Removed the pre-fire animation for tesla weapon,
    Removed the morphing animation for gargoyle statues,
    Stone gargoyle now uses the correct recoil SFX,
    Lightly Broiled is now always the default selected menu item when entering the difficulty menu,
    Akimbo Napalm weapon now plays the correct firing animation as seen in DOS version 1.21 (was using the old 1.0 one),
    Fix taunting when killing enemies with TNT not working,
    Stop players using power ups when dead,
    Disallow Quickloading if no saves are available to load,
    Fix a bug that caused a crash at the start of Death Wish E2M1,
    Autorun state is now saved between sessions,
    Fix the FoV slider being uncapped when using the arrow keys or controller,
    Key sprites now default to full shade values,
    Importing updated extra voxels,
    Major revision to virtual vram system and shaders. Height is now only padded for wall textures now. Fixes tiling issues with non power of 2 texture widths,
    Padded textures and normal textures are now treated as separate virtual vram entries. Fixes issue with the monolith logo in the save game menu being distorted while in E3M2,
    Concussion damage is now scaled against tick scale, making gibbing to occur more easily,
    Changed jump height for getting out of water back to the original height. This broke E2M2,
    Shade value for walls with back wall swap flag is now accounted for,
    Proper shade and palette values are now inherited from sprite to voxels (they now appear correct in DWE3M1),
    Texture UV mapping fixed for E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E3M2, E1M8,
    Fix a bug that would allow loading in multiplayer,
    Fix issue when moving between menus if the current selected menu entry is too high or low,
    Players are now always respawned with 100 health, regardless of what the level start has,
    Spraycan and HellHound missiles now deal correct damage type and burn time,
    Tesla weapon now fires one extra projectile at the end of its firing animation,
    All TNT/Prox/Remote/dynamite explosions now play the correct sprite if not colliding with the floor first,
    Fix players being able to cheat to acquire the E3M1 no-civilians-killed achievement,
    Add support for private and friend lobbies,
    Add missing Cerberus electrocution state,
    Jumping boots now negate all pummel (includes fall) damage,
    Make sure zombies are changed into dead actors on death, restores knockback force in the DOS version,
    Add load screen messages when loading fails; allow loading from specific older versions. If, in this case, you want to load saves from the previous Fresh Supply version please type `developer 1` in console, load, save over your old save, then type `developer 0` in console.
    Fixing timing of burn damage,
    Enemies now correctly avoid water,
    Fixing DWE2M1 bug with player start spawns,
    Duplicate addon paths are now checked for,
    Key 7 is now defined,
    Remove a specific voxel on E2M2,
    Scale voxels at the same ratio as sprites,
    Show extra info in lobby list,
    Pressing use now performs a standard hitscan operation. This resolves some issues in DWE1M9.

We hope you enjoy the update!

Keep Spillin'
    Daniel G
    Nightdive Studios Production Team

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1010750/announcements/detail/1620645290559247391

https://youtu.be/oFUPNlfWiYg

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    OH dammit, there's an alt-fire function to the weapons. No wonder the shotgun sucked so much before!

Hasn't made the game easy by any stretch, but at least I don't feel like I'm missing key abilities in my arsenal anymore.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    OH dammit, there's an alt-fire function to the weapons. No wonder the shotgun sucked so much before!

Hasn't made the game easy by any stretch, but at least I don't feel like I'm missing key abilities in my arsenal anymore.

Another thing I missed for the longest time: you can hold down fire to "charge" your dynamite throws to chuck 'em farther and at higher velocity.

The different weapon functions made Blood pretty forward thinking, iirc, and also they're really fun. The alt fire for the flare gun in particular is ridiculous and amazing at clearing out clustered groups of distant cultists.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finally finished this (including Cryptic Passage)

-I love the aesthetic, and especially the weapon design. Giving the player a damage-over-time attack as the first ranged weapon is a very intersting choice, and the obsession this game has with fire is pretty cool.
    -Monster design leaves a lot to be desired. The cultists can just chew through massive amounts of health in a fraction of a second. Turning a corner and losing half of your health before you can even react isn't fun; it's just quickload fodder. Flying enemies also suck because they fly around in a circle constantly, which means they're not attacking you and they're incredibly hard to hit.. just not fun at all... though I think that might just be a build engine thing, as I kinda recall enemies in Duke 3D doing that too.
    -Level design was acceptable for the era, and had a few cool bits, though few come to mind at the moment.

The Plasma Pak expansion was kind of disappointing. the only new monsters (besides the boss and some evil dead ripoff mini-Calebs) were two new kinds of cultists, one of whom just throws dynamite 24/7 and the other who has a tesla gun and is immune to them, and some plants who basically act like turrets. Kinda disappointing.

Cryptic Passage definitely felt like it was made by someone else; extremely poor ammo/powerup balance. I was loaded to the gills almost constantly and the game would throw powerups at you, often in useless situations. (I don't need 2 +100 life pods, guns akimbo AND invulnerability to take out like 6 dudes.)

Overall it was net and I definitely got my $10 out of it. Was pretty great to finally get a crack at this piece of shooter history.

Now to find out if there's a decent fanport of Blood 2.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @Undead Scottsman I just have to say one thing about your post, the level design was second to none for the time, and still holds up today. The Overlook Hotel level for example was incredibly designed with secret areas and passage ways out the ass that folded back on themselves and turned the stage into kind of a Metroidvania experience.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I always loved the level design in blood. The carnival level was so intense when I was young.

I enjoyed the weapons as well, but the monster design I would agree is the weaker part of the game.

I’d love for a modern day blood, definitely translate better then duke.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I actually really like fighting the cultists, with the exception of their accuracy and response time being overtuned. They have a lot of character, and their multiple abilities make encounters feel very dynamic. The zombies are zombies, but I think they're jockeying for "best video game zombie" with the ones from the original Quake, for me. It's pretty simple, but I like how zombie encounters and cultist encounters are both very different beasts compared to zombie+cultist encounters, particularly with the infighting that can occur.

Every other enemy doesn't do much for me, really. The gargoyles are annoying. Oh! The sharkmen are cool and also multifaceted, being terrifying Jaws encounters in the water, but pretty sluggish and easily handled on land.

There's a running theme in all the features of Blood: This thing can do this thing, but also this thing. When at its best, the execution of this theme makes the game feel constantly fresh, even when replaying the same area over and over.

BloodySloth on