As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Got Heart of Inmost Light from Dreaming City and then got the Megaman Buster Jotunn from Beluga forge right afterwards.

Good....GOOD

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    jlqan8dk54n5.png

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Destiny 3: Marathon 2.

I mean, people like the MOBAs, right? And the battle royales? Obviously it's time to bring it back, since Bungie basically did invent the BR video game genre. Minotaur 2: Online.

100 adventurers this time are teleported into a massive labyrinth, and have to scavenge weapons, armor, traps, and spells to be the last person standing. Watch out for the monsters, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    jlqan8dk54n5.png

B r u h

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

They should have waited until 2am and said "hey u up?"

Would have been so much better.

My completely unrealistic dream (and probably a bad idea anyway) for this whole thing, since Bungie gets to set their release/development schedule now would be for Bungie to announce that Destiny 2 is now just "Destiny", integrate all the D1 content into D2 (same engine...) and say "there will be no D3, there is only Destiny, and from here on out we will just expand on the game and universe".

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    the more that I think about this the more I think this means big changes to how destiny is released, or even potentially an end to destiny as we know it.

consider the following:
    1. A vast proportion of recent Destiny development was undertaken by studios owned by Activision
    2. In 2019 with Warframe, the Division and Anthem there is more competition in the shared world shooter space than ever before
    3. Forsaken underperformed
    4. The Destiny brand is probably tarnished enough that Destiny 3 is less valuable than 'New Untitled Bungie Project'
    5. Even with the new tools available in Destiny 2, it still seems like Bungie finds it incredibly expensive to produce new Destiny assets & content
    6. All destiny releases have gone massively overbudget.

Given all of the above, I find it really hard to believe that Bungie would take the massive risk of self publishing another TTK/Forsaken or full sequel sized content.

My bet is that they go down the free to play route

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    You gotta remember they're probably well into development of Destiny 3, and the reason they outsourced other studios was to get the releases out in a timely manner

I can't speak for the general public, but I'm ok with them taking more time to finish Destiny 3 if it means better content. I don't think we should say the sky is falling just yet.

• Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    the more that I think about this the more I think this means big changes to how destiny is released, or even potentially an end to destiny as we know it.

consider the following:
    1. A vast proportion of recent Destiny development was undertaken by studios owned by Activision
    2. In 2019 with Warframe, the Division and Anthem there is more competition in the shared world shooter space than ever before
    4. The Destiny brand is probably tarnished enough that Destiny 3 is less valuable than 'New Untitled Bungie Project'
    5. Even with the new tools available in Destiny 2, it still seems like Bungie finds it incredibly expensive to produce new Destiny assets & content

Given all of the above, I find it really hard to believe that Bungie would take the massive risk of self publishing another TTK/Forsaken or full sequel sized content.

1) [citation needed] I know they had outside help from High Moon (and another?) but "vast" seems like a vast overstatement
    2) Warframe and Destiny aren't nearly as similar as some people claim. They play very differently, have completely different systems and design, and one doesn't replace the other. If Mario and Sonic can coexist, Destiny and Warframe can. And I think that's a fairly decent analogy. Anthem, from what I've seen with all the recent gameplay videos released, also doesn't play like Destiny. In fact, it seemed more similar to Warframe. Plus, with EA and Bioware being in their own "stuff" with fans, Anthem has its own uphill battle to fight.
    3) To Activision. That context is extremely important. Bungie said they were very happy with its performance, and by the metrics we know Activision uses for "success", the array of possibilities of how well it did is vast. "underperformed" to Activision could just as easily mean lost money as it does only made a billion dollars instead of two. In fact, if it didn't make them gobs of money they'd have pulled the plug anyway. It just didn't make them all the gobs of money.
    4) I think you underestimate both the goodwill Forsaken earned and how many people believe a large portion of the taint on D2 was from Activision. You could be right, sure; but in a world where FFXIV went from the most unmitigated of disasters to an excellent and persistent success, I don't believe any brand is forever tarnished.
    5) No doubt, hopefully they have some sort of plan or idea on how to improve this, or what to do moving forward to solve this problem.
    6) [citation needed]

• Options
    Jason Schrier, the guy who broke this story, has some great behind the scenes insight on the development of Destiny 1 and 2. While it was absolutely far from perfect, I think the biggest issue is that on both releases they had to scrap everything and start over. Destiny 2 in particular had it's Dev time effectively cut in half since they had to scuttle it and start again. If the time constraints had not been placed upon them by Activision, I doubt D2 would have ended up such a mess.

• Options
    You gotta remember they're probably well into development of Destiny 3, and the reason they outsourced other studios was to get the releases out in a timely manner

I can't speak for the general public, but I'm ok with them taking more time to finish Destiny 3 if it means better content. I don't think we should say the sky is falling just yet.

I'd be curious if D3 is still using the same basic engine/tools (I know "engine" is kind of a loaded idea) as D2 and thus D1, and if, in my dream scenario, they decided to not have the game be individual titles, how big of a shift it'd take to just roll what they've got for D3 into D2 and have it be just one going going forward.

Regardless, I'm going to still assume D3 is happening, because right now there's really no reason to assume otherwise. I do hope though, if they're going to try to justify another completely separate entry, they do it better than D2 did. D3 needs to feel like it has a reason to be its own game, assuming it is. D2 didn't do that. Hell, it still doesn't do that, no matter how much it has improved. I still have yet to feel like anything D2 has done couldn't have just been done in D1.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    HEY GUYS DID YOU HEAR THAT BUNGIE SEPARATED FROM ACTI--

Ah.

Yes.

You did.

I am very happy with this development.

Also, obligatory: Fuck Activision

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Robin Colcord ruined Destiny.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I hate drafts

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So overall, I'm super happy for Bungie and I think overall this means good things for Destiny.

I just don't know how it comes together yet. I wonder if Destiny 2 doesn't get transitioned to be "Destiny" and it simply becomes a live service that sells expansion content on a reasonable development schedule with a cleaned up, cosmetic only, microtransaction structure. That to me would seem like a win-win. No "Destiny 3", Destiny 2 just transitions in to the Destiny platform from here on out with story and content expanded in to this engine. The more standard MMO model essentially. Given how many steps backwards Destiny 2 took from Destiny 1, some that it still hasn't fully re-established, I'm all about a model where Bungie doesn't "start over" every four years.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Scored a Jotunn with my last powerful frame of the week.

Did some crucible tryouts specifically with switching it out in my Telesto Hunter build. I think, for me, Telesto is far better in most circumstances. Where Jotunn really gets powerful is being able to engage at a range that Telesto can't.

The reload is super ponderously slow, so if you can mitigate that it's much better.

I was able to do ridiculous things with it using Transversive Steps to both increase my ability to zip around the map using Burst Glide and getting the free reload. The tracking allows you to pop up, fire and make your escape very quickly.

In terms of general advice is that if an opponent is running perpendicular to you the tracking can't keep up in the slightest so don't waste the ammo.

You may have seen some videos of two-tap kills out of super but it is very difficult if they don't come at you straight. Nova Warp teleport will most likely throw the tracking off and Hunters move too damn fast in Arc Strider and Spectral Blades. Dawnblades and Sentinels you've got a good chance on though.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

consider the following:

1) [citation needed] I know they had outside help from High Moon (and another?) but "vast" seems like a vast overstatement
    2) Warframe and Destiny aren't nearly as similar as some people claim. They play very differently, have completely different systems and design, and one doesn't replace the other. If Mario and Sonic can coexist, Destiny and Warframe can. And I think that's a fairly decent analogy. Anthem, from what I've seen with all the recent gameplay videos released, also doesn't play like Destiny. In fact, it seemed more similar to Warframe. Plus, with EA and Bioware being in their own "stuff" with fans, Anthem has its own uphill battle to fight.
    3) To Activision. That context is extremely important. Bungie said they were very happy with its performance, and by the metrics we know Activision uses for "success", the array of possibilities of how well it did is vast. "underperformed" to Activision could just as easily mean lost money as it does only made a billion dollars instead of two. In fact, if it didn't make them gobs of money they'd have pulled the plug anyway. It just didn't make them all the gobs of money.
    4) I think you underestimate both the goodwill Forsaken earned and how many people believe a large portion of the taint on D2 was from Activision. You could be right, sure; but in a world where FFXIV went from the most unmitigated of disasters to an excellent and persistent success, I don't believe any brand is forever tarnished.
    5) No doubt, hopefully they have some sort of plan or idea on how to improve this, or what to do moving forward to solve this problem.
    6) [citation needed]

1. The two studios are High Moon and Vicarious Visions. If you watch the Warmind vidoc, a lot of the talking heads weren't bungie. Same for Forsaken, but not as much. I don't know for certain, but it seems pretty clear that the portion of non-bungie developers on destiny is higher than ever before.
    2. I have no interest in Warmind, Anthem or Borderlands because as you say they are fundamentally very different from Destiny. However it seems like for a large portion of the audience (the r/dtg crowd) all they really want is a game where you shoot mooks and bars go up so any of these things will satisfy that itch. The things that make Destiny unique don't seem to be that important to a large portion of the audience.
    3. Fair point, there's really no way of knowing.
    4. This is a good point. If they were good at marketing they could probably spin the next big release 'what destiny was always supposed to be' and people would eat it up. I guess the main thing I was drawing on is the fact that for all of the love Forsaken gets on reddit, you don't really see anywhere near as much mainstream press (in kotaku and giant bomb etc) covering the goings on in Destiny as you used to.
    6. As Local H Jay said, Jason Schreier @ kotaku has done a good job of chronicling the many woes of Destiny development.

I'm not trying to doomsay - i just find speculating about this stuff interesting. And I think Bungie can probably find a release method that makes destiny successful. I just don't think it's going to be the one we're used to.

and self-publishing isn't going to make Bungie more likely to give a big Destiny release another year in the oven. It's a lot harder to justify a hugely expensive year of development when you're playing with your own money.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm actually pretty bummed for Vicarious Visions and High Moon, they were doing a lot for Destiny (mostly because I used to do volunteer stuff for VV and live near them)

reminder that the universe of Marathon canonically exists in Destiny through the MIDA weapons

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    *logs on for the first time today*

"Man, what a long day. Exhausting. Guess I'll hit up PA. Probably not too much happening in the D2 thread..."

Er, uh, oh. Wow. Whoa.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's great for them to have creative freedom, but I wonder if they have the money to self-publish future games of similar scope. There's a reason they worked with Activision in the first place.

• Options
    It will be really interesting to see which design ideas were activision and which were not going forward. Hard to be sad about losing the yoke of a soulless, anti-fun profit-farming entity like activision though, whatever positives they may have also brought with them.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty bummed for Vicarious Visions and High Moon, they were doing a lot for Destiny (mostly because I used to do volunteer stuff for VV and live near them)

reminder that the universe of Marathon canonically exists in Destiny through the MIDA weapons

They've also hinted in the Books of Sorrow that the Darkness is at least in part a W'rkncacnter, which is frankly exactly the kind of enemy you'd need paracausal powers to fight against.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Played some Destiny tonight. Knocked out the DC stuff to see Mara (fuck you, too, Mara) and knocked out all but two of the available BA bounties (the do X dailies and the heroic story one). No Rare bounty drop :/

So how do I get into Beluga? Just wander around the Outskirts until I find it? Or do I need to do the quest chain starting with the underbelly?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I know absolutely nothing about Marathon but all of that sounds pretty cool.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A lot of the reactions I'm seeing to the news seem to be forgetting how Bungie got here.

Bungie blew every penny it had to get out of Microsoft ownership. Independent they needed some help getting their feet on the ground so they struck a deal with Activision for a single series (four games minimum) to get back on their own feet. Bungie never complained, near as I can tell, all the way up to today. Activision also wasn't trying to like buy or acquire Bungie. It was a publishing deal, not a hostile takeover or something.

The most I'm willing to grant here is "Destiny wasn't living up to Activision's expectations so they are cutting their losses more than they're being magnanimous." At the end of the day everyone wins, but neither was anyone trying to be a villain or anything.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    A lot of the reactions I'm seeing to the news seem to be forgetting how Bungie got here.

Bungie blew every penny it had to get out of Microsoft ownership. Independent they needed some help getting their feet on the ground so they struck a deal with Activision for a single series (four games minimum) to get back on their own feet. Bungie never complained, near as I can tell, all the way up to today. Activision also wasn't trying to like buy or acquire Bungie. It was a publishing deal, not a hostile takeover or something.

The most I'm willing to grant here is "Destiny wasn't living up to Activision's expectations so they are cutting their losses more than they're being magnanimous." At the end of the day everyone wins, but neither was anyone trying to be a villain or anything.

Nobody tries to be a villain. Just sometimes you pick up your EA ballcap, look at it, then turn to your cube-mate and ask, "Are we the baddies?"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Nobody tries to be a villain. Just sometimes you pick up your EA ballcap, look at it, then turn to your cube-mate and ask, "Are we the baddies?"
    Activision honestly has been getting their act together as far as being a hostile entity goes. Still not angels by any stretch but I consider Ubi and certainly EA way more questionable / objectionable in business practice.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Played some Destiny tonight. Knocked out the DC stuff to see Mara (fuck you, too, Mara) and knocked out all but two of the available BA bounties (the do X dailies and the heroic story one). No Rare bounty drop :/

So how do I get into Beluga? Just wander around the Outskirts until I find it? Or do I need to do the quest chain starting with the underbelly?

Its in the bottom of the EDZ map, you can go there anytime.

You can forge all types of weapons there and forging a weapon there will give you a chance to get Jotunn, the Megaman Buster exotic.

The Leviathan quest is for Izanami's Burden, an exotic kinetic Sniper Rifle.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I don’t think anyone doubts this happened because of an Activision business decision. Bungie wasn’t getting out of this contract unless Activision wanted it.

I’m not really on the “Activision sucks” bus but it was pretty clear they wanted Destiny to be a new CoD4.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Keep in mind if Activision goes down, Blizzard is too

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I don’t think anyone doubts this happened because of an Activision business decision. Bungie wasn’t getting out of this contract unless Activision wanted it.

I’m not really on the “Activision sucks” bus but it was pretty clear they wanted Destiny to be a new CoD4.
    Yeah I dunno what Activision's internal expectations are for the series. And I don't follow Destiny as a series very well, I have a vague notion that 2 wasn't received as well as 1, but still far away from doing shit-bad in sales or whatever.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    There’s a whole history of the problems with 2 vs 1 but it many ways 2 was a better game severely lacking content.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

At this point, with what Blizzard's doing, fine. They're just an Activision skinpuppet now.

• Options
    My memories of 1 vs 2 are much happier, apart from the story up through house of wolves...

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

At this point, with what Blizzard's doing, fine. They're just an Activision skinpuppet now.

I disagree... but only because I don’t want it to be true.

• Options
    blizzard is very much not the company I was obsessed with back in the day. their quality control alone is a sad shell of what it used to be.

• Options
    What’s happening to Blizzard is what happened to BioWare x1000

• Options
    Totally unrelated to Destiny but someone at work mentioned the president of Blizzard stepped down today as well. Maybe whomever replaces him will get them to release a new game not on phones.

In Destiny-related things: isn't there a Destiny novel? I swear I remember people talking about one. Not the Baru Cormorant series by the Books of Sorrow guy (though those are excellent and if you enjoy reading Destiny lore at all you owe it to yourself to checkout The Traitor Baru Cormorant which is simultaneously nothing at all like Destiny lore and also just like Destiny lore) but an actual in-universe Destiny book? I googled and amazon'd but don't see anything.

• Options
    Totally unrelated to Destiny but someone at work mentioned the president of Blizzard stepped down today as well. Maybe whomever replaces him will get them to release a new game not on phones.

In Destiny-related things: isn't there a Destiny novel? I swear I remember people talking about one. Not the Baru Cormorant series by the Books of Sorrow guy (though those are excellent and if you enjoy reading Destiny lore at all you owe it to yourself to checkout The Traitor Baru Cormorant which is simultaneously nothing at all like Destiny lore and also just like Destiny lore) but an actual in-universe Destiny book? I googled and amazon'd but don't see anything.

https://youtu.be/fgRFQJCHcPw