As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Trials of the Nine was Trials of Osiris if it sucked and was left out in the sun for a couple of weeks.

Elimination is the only real Trials mode, fuck Countdown.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    It also didn’t help trials that d2y1 was “all pvp is 4v4, fuck off if you don’t like it” it still makes no sense to do that when every other mode in the game is either 3 or 6 people (excluding gambit now).

So many bad pvp decisions stemmed from this. With the benefit of hindsight, if you absolutely had to, it should have been 6v6 for QP, 3v3 trials, 4v4 competitive. Making everything the same part size all around made it feel samey.

It’s also nuts to me that they just......haven’t replaced trials with anything. Like, even just putting back trials of the nine like it was and saying “don’t expect us to do anythinf outside of exploit fixes for this mode while we work on something else”.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I am not seeing the appeal of Anthem at all.

It's magic power armor Diablo.

Comparisons to Destiny really don't work.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    It also didn’t help trials that d2y1 was “all pvp is 4v4, fuck off if you don’t like it” it still makes no sense to do that when every other mode in the game is either 3 or 6 people (excluding gambit now).

So many bad pvp decisions stemmed from this. With the benefit of hindsight, if you absolutely had to, it should have been 6v6 for QP, 3v3 trials, 4v4 competitive. Making everything the same part size all around made it feel samey.

It’s also nuts to me that they just......haven’t replaced trials with anything. Like, even just putting back trials of the nine like it was and saying “don’t expect us to do anythinf outside of exploit fixes for this mode while we work on something else”.

They'd have to put some sort of reward in for it then. And it would continue to be a giant gaping "look at this terrible shit" for the game.

It's basically like the other thing they removed: faction rallies. It just wasn't working and they've probably just not had the time to sit down and make a better version or had a good idea about what that better version would be.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I am not seeing the appeal of Anthem at all.

It's Destiny with more random loot and you're Iron Man

Yeah the pitch sounds great but when you see the actual product? Nah.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    If you want Destiny and you try Anthem you will be unbelievably disappointed, because Anthem isn't at all on the same wavelength and really, truthfully, isn't trying to be. They're getting compared because a) in our current culture we need to constantly compare and rank all media, ever, until we all fucking die and b) they're both scifi loot shooters with a fair heaping of fantasy mixed in.

But really, they look very different, have very different stories and tones (and worldbuilding, and scope), have completely different end game loops and progression, and play extremely differently. All the breathless hot takes trying to compare the two are utterly missing the point of both games. Anthem is actually trying to vacuum up Diablo, Path of Exile, and Division players. Not Destiny players.

They can very happily coexist. I anticipate bouncing back and forth between them as they drop new content for a long time to come.

3cl1ps3 on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    All these lifer games are in direct competition for your time. So not only is comparison natural, it is necessary. Fun time is a battle royale game where well over 99 different shows/ comics/ games/ bars/ etc drop in and only a small handful get you to try them. Like, Apex plays nothing like Destiny but they're both buttons on my computer for me to click and play hours of.

That's true! And ultimately everyone needs to pick the games of that type that they have the most fun with and stick with those because there simply aren't enough hours in the day to play all of them.

I just don't think Anthem and Destiny are actually trying to grab the same playerbase and the froth that's being whipped up about their competition has always felt very weird to me because I don't see them as occupying the same niche at all.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    If you want Destiny and you try Anthem you will be unbelievably disappointed, because Anthem isn't at all on the same wavelength and really, truthfully, isn't trying to be. They're getting compared because a) in our current culture we need to constantly compare and rank all media, ever, until we all fucking die and b) they're both scifi loot shooters with a fair heaping of fantasy mixed in.

But really, they look very different, have very different stories and tones (and worldbuilding, and scope), have completely different end game loops and progression, and play extremely differently. All the breathless hot takes trying to compare the two are utterly missing the point of both games. Anthem is actually trying to vacuum up Diablo, Path of Exile, and Division players. Not Destiny players.

They can very happily coexist. I anticipate bouncing back and forth between them as they drop new content for a long time to come.

I agree with what you're saying, but a lot of people don't care about the 'mechanically sound shooter' aspect of destiny and are just here for the Diablo/Path of Exile with guns experience. If you read r/dtg (don't) a huge portion of the audience wants stats to mean more, more min/maxing more leveling more bars bars bars.

So yes, Anthem is in direct competition with Destiny because a lot of people miss the point of Destiny.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'd say it's fair to label destiny as the first successfully MMO flavored Looter Shooter. It's got the campaign and co-op action of a Borderlands with the always online and party system of a Phantasy Star Online, and a healthy dose of Halo inspired gunplay for a halfway decent PvP experience. The "games as service" model wasn't invented by Destiny but it naturally fell into that mold after the fact. It's natural Anthem is trying to share some of that headspace, and there's plenty of room for competition.

I think there's a lot of players that like Destiny because it's easy to hop into with friends and have a good time, and some of us dig into those experiences deeper than others. I know a lot of people who play these games a lot more casually and probably have a better time for it; they don't see the cracks and rough edges we tend to fixate on.

And if Anthem scratches the same itch as Destiny, go for it. Personally, I'm liking Apex Legends for my high octane, ability based FPS combat. The kind of plays I could pull off as a Bladedancer used to have me cackling like a madman. Now I'm in Apex swinging around as a robot with shotgun. I think the thing is, there's so much quality stuff out there for everyone, the second Destiny stopped being our main game, it opens the doors for others.

The great community here has kept me coming back, and will continue to do so. I think people play destiny for a lot different reasons, and that's part of why it was so great, it kind of brought people across the board together to tackle new stuff. The friend-game was real, and it was beautiful. Dragging people into Trials every weekend was a great time and hopefully someday I'll do it again. That's not an experience I can have in Anthem so, it's probably just not for me.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Y'know, I just now realized haven't really heard much about DDOSing ever since Trials went away.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I’m with you. In fact I’ve been thinking about how much it looks like Warframe since I saw the first demo, and how calling it the Destiny killer has been wrong and stupid for a while, and even more so now that we see what it is.

And I want Anthem to be successful. Generally I’d like games to be good. Unfortunately, I think in its current state it does not look very fun. I hope they get there.

If anything Ubisoft has proven if you take opportunities for games like The Division to grow by providing constant updates and support, you end up with really good games. I think BioWare can do the same if given a chance, because they already did so with The Old Republic.

And I just don’t know wtf EA was thinking releasing Apex two weeks before Anthem. They’re not the same games but the ven diagram of players between the two is going to be wide.

Anyway that’s enough Anthem talk from me becaus this is the Destiny thread and at the end of the day I’m not here to shit on another game.

Opty wrote: »
    Y'know, I just now realized haven't really heard much about DDOSing ever since Trials went away.

Yeah, that's the other problem with Trials they basically can't solve.

edited February 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

Yeah, that's the other problem with Trials they basically can't solve.

Permabanning obvious cheaters would definitely have helped in this regard.

It was very, very easy to find cheaters, there were a bunch of people winning because all the opposing teams got DC’ed all the way through 7 wins, this info was widely availabe on tracker sites.

It got so bad that one of the Destiny tracker sites called Bungie out on them doing literally nothing about it.

Then suddenly, by chance they banned some cheaters for 2 weeks... And then cancelled Trials for 2 weeks (emote silly walk cheat) effectively nullifying their flimsy punishment.

The once mighty banhammer is a fucking joke.

Sirialis on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, DDOS is still a potential problem in the Competitive playlist but no one really cares.

Getting DDOS'd out of your flawless match? That's emotionally devastating.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, especially since they removed Mercy

*Still bitter*

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    As someone whose old fireteam is dragging me into Anthem, I feel like there is a lot to offer that Destiny has to deal with competitively. Anthem satisfies similar PVE and exploration needs. Apex has some really tight, new PVP experiences. It's going to be hard to find time for Destiny, at least personally. With not much bringing me back besides other players, and those players drifting, it'll likely mean a break from Destiny outside of full curse week lore hunting and maybe finally getting Cursebreaker.

But that's ok! I took a break in year one until Warmind, and that was ultimately the right choice! So maybe Joker's Wild will have some fun stuff to secure one Destiny night a week, while Anthem and Apex occupy some of the other play spaces. And then a Forsaken style full expansion will bring people back once more.

It's not about what game is best, it's about what game is best for you at the time.

DDoS will be impossible for Bungie to comprehensively solve until PvP isn't P2P.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m still spending time in the game, but after an involuntary one week break I think I’ll be mostly jumping in to do specific things to finish up my triumphs hunt.

Maybe that changes with the upcoming DLC, but if it doesn’t that’ll be fine, I could use more free time to play Anthem and other games for a bit and come back refreshed for the next big drop.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m still spending time in the game, but after an involuntary one week break I think I’ll be mostly jumping in to do specific things to finish up my triumphs hunt.

Maybe that changes with the upcoming DLC, but if it doesn’t that’ll be fine, I could use more free time to play Anthem and other games for a bit and come back refreshed for the next big drop.

I’ve long thought that Destiny is a game that’s meant to be played until you’ve gotten what you want from it, and then put down for a time. Maybe you come back, maybe you don’t, but lately I think the season pass stuff has been fun. (I guess I don’t find the forge much more grindy than anything else and it’s basically another horde mode which I love).

But things are slowing down and I’m not playing as much. When the new content drops, I’ll be more active again until I need a break.

GoodKingJayIII on

I’ve long thought that Destiny is a game that’s meant to be played until you’ve gotten what you want from it, and then put down for a time. Maybe you come back, maybe you don’t, but lately I think the season pass stuff has been fun. (I guess I don’t find the forge much more grindy than anything else and it’s basically another horde mode which I love).

But things are slowing down and I’m not playing as much. When the new content drops, I’ll be more active again until I need a break.

RE: bolded

D2Y1 - Players got everything "too easily" and got bored (which IMO was a massive misinterpretation of what was wrong with vanilla D2)
    D2Y2 - Now... you have a high probability of playing a ton but still never getting what you want

I still play almost daily but I'm definitely mostly grinding out a last few things here and there. (titles, PvP rank, etc, etc)

Black Armory has been lighter on content then I hoped but it's not been terrible and I think the pace overall is close to what I think works. They need more just general content drops though, like new strikes and crucible maps and update the standard vendors (vanguard, crucible, gambit, etc) each season. And maybe explore some more text-based quest storylines. I know you can't get voice acting for every little thing but some of these quests have had nothing at all. Give us some text.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I would be hyped if they went the Fortnite route and just made changes to the existing areas. Have a ship crash into something and change the environment and add a scannable lore thing to the wreckage. Have the ship crash be an actual event people who are logged on at the right time get to experience, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ual9ZT2uP8&t=3m30s

I also really like the new lore collection system and think it would be neat if stuff would just get added in here and there.

edited February 2019
    I've been pretty busy this week and not able to get much playtime in on Destiny so I thought I was in trouble for Crimson Days. But tonight was actually very productive.

It helped that the bow was the only new item this year so like 20 minutes of work and I didn't have to grind for anything except the triumphs. And I managed to get 10 games of Crimson Doubles in and nail all 3 secret triumphs and almost finish off all the "get X kind of kills" triumphs. And 3 out of the 4 medals too. Two-Tailed Fox one was definitely the hardest to nail down. Took a few tries to get those buggers to stack up in the right way. Crimson was maybe annoying to do though because I don't like it as a PvP weapon. Just not enough range or damage.

Crimson Doubles is just as fun as it was last year. It's a really great little PvP mode imo. Thankfully I only ran into 2 teams running coordinated bullshit comps. As always in round-based PvP, Spectral Blades is kinda stupid broken.

shryke on
    Here's my ranking of all the triumphs we've seen so far.

All of them.
    Doing all of them again.
    Fucking Master Smith.

On a more positive note, I have a Blacksmith title to go with Rivensbane!

ed156339-385a-4a78-9aec-ea8e41995819_Thumbnail.PNG

You better believe I have that equipped on all 3 characters right now.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    if bungie is going to give out bullshit stuff like Not Forgotten then it should just be to everyone in the game and not the top tier pvp reward

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    Anarchy get!

I have 21 Scourge of the Past completions according to raid report. And over half my raidmates are still missing it.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
    It is the east, and I... I AM THE CRUCIBLE.

My wife and I played 18 matches of Crimson doubles, and they were for the most part excellent. Just under 50% win rate even with me faffing about getting triumphs and bounties, with a several matches going to sudden death (and both of us having supers up: she a hammer titan, me a golden gun hunter, the two of us blasting onto the control point in a fiery explosion and instagibbing the enemy team).

Then we lost the next five games in a row to the sweatiest teams because we just had two wins left to get all the triumphs, but aside from that it's been a lot of fun.

Arteen wrote: »

RE: bolded

D2Y1 - Players got everything "too easily" and got bored (which IMO was a massive misinterpretation of what was wrong with vanilla D2)
    D2Y2 - Now... you have a high probability of playing a ton but still never getting what you want

Well, what I meant was that when you’re done with the content you just put it down until you want to play it again. I don’t think the game is meant to be just played forever, always, like an mmo.

I’ve gotten plenty of garbage but a number of guns have seen me through a lot. Breakneck got me through everything forever. I got a good roll on Blast Furnace. I have an LMG with mulligan/feeding frenzy. Stuff shows up that’s good.

But I do agree that there aren’t enough drops that help you level, and I think they need to ease back on some of the infusion requirements. And I’ve never seen a masterwork weapon except two Y1s, which is worthless.

But I’m taking a small break until Drifter drops and that’s fine.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    if bungie is going to give out bullshit stuff like Not Forgotten then it should just be to everyone in the game and not the top tier pvp reward

They didn't exactly give it out, people worked their asses off for it. It sucks to play against but let's be honest, someone with a Not Forgotten is going to kick almost everyone's ass regardless of what gun they have.

I do think that there should be some kind of weapon with Magnificent Howl available via a more involved quest, like they did with Redrix, but I don't have a problem with Not Forgotten as a trophy.

I think Not Forgotten and Luna's Howl are interesting in that they show a direct 180 direction change at Bungie's PvP approach.

I remember all the talk about guns obtainable from Flawless Trials runs couldnt be better than the guns that the average player was able to get.

Yet here we are with these new guns, which are pretty much, exactly that.

Peen wrote: »
    skyknyt wrote: »

They didn't exactly give it out, people worked their asses off for it. It sucks to play against but let's be honest, someone with a Not Forgotten is going to kick almost everyone's ass regardless of what gun they have.

I do think that there should be some kind of weapon with Magnificent Howl available via a more involved quest, like they did with Redrix, but I don't have a problem with Not Forgotten as a trophy.

Yeah, just redoing what they did with Redrix Claymore/Broadsword makes sense at this point. Give everyone a quickplay Luna quest, and give people who already have it some kind of cosmetic so there are not too many complaints.

5 resets was a little too much, though.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    I get the impression that Bungie didn't realize just how difficult hitting Fabled for Luna's Howl would be for most players. I don't have any empirical evidence for that, but it seems to me like they thought Fabled would be very doable for someone who put in the time, and they underestimated how punishing the Glory system can be.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I mean honestly for me the problem is more that the quest requires so much damn hand cannon usage; if you didn't do it in the first season then you're going into comp against a ton of people that already have a Luna/Not Forgotten and using a hand cannon against them is really really tough, which is the spot I'm in now. I could hit fabled but grinding out the hand cannon kills and then precision kills is a deeply unappealing prospect.

I really hope the upcoming TWAB has the details about the next pinnacle pvp weapon. I want to start thinking about my next loadout right now, and take it out for a spin.

I'm sort of dreading it turning out to be a sniper, but maybe that'll make me learn to use one.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Oh jeez, Luna's requires Fabled? I'm chewing my way through the precision hand cannon kills right now and I'm only at 668 points.

It also took us 12 matches but we finally got the last two Crimson Doubles wins we needed for the sugary shell.

awsimo wrote: »
    I get the impression that Bungie didn't realize just how difficult hitting Fabled for Luna's Howl would be for most players. I don't have any empirical evidence for that, but it seems to me like they thought Fabled would be very doable for someone who put in the time, and they underestimated how punishing the Glory system can be.

It's always been pretty clear that Bungie does not understand how to design a ranking or progression system. They made the Glory system but they don't know how it actually works.

Trying to claw my way out of Brave on PC is the work of like a month or more in my experience.

I played Competitive for a bit this season, with aspirations of hitting Fabled and getting Luna's Howl and Mountaintop. But eventually I gave up since it wasn't worth the time investment, especially with the chance that I wouldn't pull it off.

I'd be more willing to try if the ranking system was stacked more in the player's favor for early ranks. Like 30 points for a win, 20 for a loss. I know there are streak bonuses and the weekly reward, but 2100 points is still an intimidating climb.

edited February 2019
    Had a really tense game of survival that we managed to squeeze a win out of. I was like, ah, yes, this is why I like comp.

... it was followed by a 3v4 game of countdown. That we actually won four rounds of! One of which was a round where it was down to a 1v1, they'd set the charge, so I ran over, started defusing it, and kept defusing it while they showed up and I killed them.

Possibly my best countdown play ever?

Anyway we still lost because lol countdown and down a teammate.

At least I got to keep 4 of the glory points from the last win!

Surfpossum on
    It's currently something like 34/44/54/64/74 for a win and -30 for a loss. At least, afaik.

Which means a back-and-worth 50% winrate nets you a whopping +2 points per game. (1050 games to Fabled) +9 if you can manage to string 2 wins together consistently. (233 games) 66% win rate is like +16 per game. (131 games)

It's brutal without a consistent win streaks. And the way it's set up to make your score really swingy just makes people feel like shit.

And you gotta do this climb through a wall of spectral blade hunters rocking Lunas and Dust Rocks.