As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "That line was taken out of context" without actually providing the context is sitting right there Donald

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    From the wayback of 2016:
    "They’ll pay, in one form or another. They may even write us a check when it’s said and done.”

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    If that is a verbatim quote, it’s not clear to me. It’s literally breaking my brain.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its not a full quote.

“When I said Mexico will pay for the wall in front of thousands and thousands of people, obviously they’re not going to write a check, but they are paying for the wall indirectly many, many times over by the really great trade deal we just made.”

Like its still a lie, but he did try and weasel his way to "they are paying for it."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not a full quote.

“When I said Mexico will pay for the wall in front of thousands and thousands of people, obviously they’re not going to write a check, but they are paying for the wall indirectly many, many times over by the really great trade deal we just made.”

Like its still a lie, but he did try and weasel his way to "they are paying for it."
    Ilpala wrote: »
    From the wayback of 2016:
    "They’ll pay, in one form or another. They may even write us a check when it’s said and done.”

Narrator: But did did say write a check.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's right there in the video. You can hear it with your freaking ears. "I said a thing. I didn't say it."

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not a full quote.

It’s unbelievable that he’s attempting this, he’s on video doing a call and response at his rallies.

What are we going to build?
    “A wall”

And who’se going to pay for it?
    “Mexico!”

They even had that one weirdo who sat in the background wearing a god-damn unitard that he painted to look like a wall.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think it’s pretty clear, “I never said this, that Mexico would write a check,” is how the punctuation goes here

Let’s not break out the roflcopters for just yet, guys

Donaldjtrump.com still suggests Mexico make "a one-time payment of $5 - 10 billion".

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/439jyd/trump-says-there-are-more-people-in-pain-than-the-federal-workers-not-getting-paid?utm_medium=vicenewsfacebook&fbclid=IwAR0A-8Rzjq46qS3Uopd08W_ZqUTON0ftgpD-cQNxKm2LnhggPQuxDiu5anc
    Speaking to reporters Thursday as he headed to the border, the president responded to a reporter’s question about the “human pain” that has resulted from the government shutdown, now in its 20th day.

"You know has more human pain? The parents of people who had children killed by an illegal immigrant that should have never been in the country. Do you know who has more pain? The husband that lost the wife or the wife that lost the husband killed by illegal immigrant who came in five or six times who shouldn’t be here. That’s the human pain.”

The closest this asshole comes to empathy is to use it to keep stroking fear AND bash others.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah that impenetrable wall we're currently shut down over?

It can be cut with a saw.

El.

Oh.

El.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Why are we giving him the benefit of the doubt?

It was obvious during the campaign that he meant Mexico was literally going to pay for it. Never once did he stand up there and say, “I’m going to forge a trade deal, Mexico will be part of it, and that is going to bring so much money into the country that it’ll be like they paid for the wall themselves! But actually I need American taxpayers to appropriate the funds in literal terms.”

If you asked any random person at any of his rallies how Mexico was going to pay for it, they would have said something along the lines of, “They’re going to give us the money,” or “They’ll write us a check”. They’re only changing their tune now because their guy changed his.

Fuck this gaslighting bullshit.

joshofalltrades on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    WashPo's live updates thread where I pulled it from

Pence is back on the Hill.

This screams to me they are afraid of tomorrow. Polling isn't looking good. And you got more defectors on the Treasury bill last night. You get more and more reports with the cracks in the caucus. Graham is running his smoke screen "last ditch effort."

And then you have politico doing its normal.

Freshman Dems feeling the heat as shutdown drags on

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah, enjoy trying to walk the nation through nuance, Donald. Good fucking luck, man.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    “My grocery store is going to pay for my new car” and “My grocery store is going to pay for my new car, in the sense that if I clip enough coupons...” are two different things

Also the trade deal doesn’t make the government money, so the analogy in this case is actually, “My grocery store is going to pay for my car, in the sense that if they sell enough pudding...” and then it just trails off.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This screams to me they are afraid of tomorrow. Polling isn't looking good. And you got more defectors on the Treasury bill last night. You get more and more reports with the cracks in the caucus. Graham is running his smoke screen "last ditch effort."

When you are standing next to the bonfire where your enemies are actively immolating themselves, some heat is to be expected.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    “My grocery store is going to pay for my new car” and “My grocery store is going to pay for my new car, in the sense that if I clip enough coupons...” are two different things

Also the trade deal doesn’t make the government money, so the analogy in this case is actually, “My grocery store is going to pay for my car, in the sense that if they sell enough pudding...” and then it just trails off.

He’s desperate not to look like a loser and lots of people are apparently willing to indulge this line of thinking for him.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Man, it's a shame there isn't a digital record of say Trump's campaign website regarding his position on who would pay for the wall...

Oh. Whoops.

Ben Jacobs is a Guardian reporter.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

So Pence is joining the DHS secretary in saying there's a "humanitarian crises" at the border. I don't think they understand that THEY are causing it, via kidnapping and killing children.

Honestly, though? Here's the thing. He looks weak here. Like, obviously weak. His supporters are not able to do nuance, its MEXICO BAD, AMERICA GOOD. and Mexico is gonna pay for that wall in their minds.

This is probably the literal worst soundbite he could have recorded. It will play over and over of him telling a lie so obvious that it can't be refuted in good faith. And while his supporters will still support him, they aren't going to be as enthusiastic about it over the crunch they are likely feeling as the shutdown drags on.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

So Pence is joining the DHS secretary in saying there's a "humanitarian crises" at the border. I don't think they understand that THEY are causing it, via kidnapping and killing children.

Trump already blamed the deaths of children in ICE custody on the Democrats, because you see, if Democrats would've let them build the wall, those children wouldn't have needed to be taken into custody and die in the first place.

nibXTE7.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean, that was just insanely stupid to begin with, to claim that he was going to be able to force Mexico to pay for the wall.

I think the most insulting thing about Trump is that his lies are just blatant crazy stupid bullshit that he doesn’t even really try to obfuscate or walk back strategically. It’s almost like there’s an undertone of “yeah, I’m lying to you. So what?” to everything he says and does, which shows an excessive amount of disrespect for American citizens. His lies are crazy and lazy. He is pathological.

At least past lying presidents and their teams tried to lie intelligently.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/439jyd/trump-says-there-are-more-people-in-pain-than-the-federal-workers-not-getting-paid?utm_medium=vicenewsfacebook&fbclid=IwAR0A-8Rzjq46qS3Uopd08W_ZqUTON0ftgpD-cQNxKm2LnhggPQuxDiu5anc
    Speaking to reporters Thursday as he headed to the border, the president responded to a reporter’s question about the “human pain” that has resulted from the government shutdown, now in its 20th day.

"You know has more human pain? The parents of people who had children killed by an illegal immigrant that should have never been in the country. Do you know who has more pain? The husband that lost the wife or the wife that lost the husband killed by illegal immigrant who came in five or six times who shouldn’t be here. That’s the human pain.”

The closest this asshole comes to empathy is to use it to keep stroking fear AND bash others.

GoP can offer them the same thoughts and prayers that they offer victims of mass shootings and everything will be magically better.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I can only assume that when they're bringing up a humanitarian crisis at the border they're hoping to vaguely gesture at the issue being somehow Americans near the border being in danger and not the concentration camps they built.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Trump’s Shutdown Could Spark Corruption In Prisons, Airports, Border Crossings
    Federal law enforcement agencies like the Bureau of Prisons, the Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Customs and Border Protection have long struggled with integrity issues, from smuggling contraband into prisons and stealing from luggage to taking bribes at the border. Forcing employees of these law enforcement agencies ― which have also struggled with morale issues ― to work without pay could exacerbate corruption problems, some experts told HuffPost. When unpaid law enforcement employees get desperate, some could become compromised.

“As this thing goes on, and as people’s financial situations become more dire, it always increases the risk for corruption,” says John Roth, the former inspector general for the Department of Homeland Security, which includes TSA and CBP. “It’s ironic that you’re increasing the risk of corruption at the same time as you’re attempting to fortify the border.”

I also wouldn't love to be a person with a security clearance running into clearance-threatening financial difficulties due to the shutdown.

Fun Fact: Being heavily in debt is grounds for dismissal in most of those jobs

It's also grounds for having a clearance revoked because lol you're in debt and can be persuaded by outside influences for financial reasons.

Like I like to remind people, 2013 was when a huge contingent of the NSA left and flipped the US the middle finger.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I mean, that was just insanely stupid to begin with, to claim that he was going to be able to force Mexico to pay for the wall.

I think the most insulting thing about Trump is that his lies are just blatant crazy stupid bullshit that he doesn’t even really try to obfuscate or walk back strategically. It’s almost like there’s an undertone of “yeah, I’m lying to you. So what?” to everything he says and does, which shows an excessive amount of disrespect for American citizens. His lies are crazy and lazy. He is pathological.

He's 72 and has spent 70 of those years never having to worry about the consequences of his bullshit. Someone has always done the actual work for him.

Now that he actually has to produce something he has no idea what to do. There's no actual plan to build a wall, no cost estimate, no specs, no schedule, nothing. The emperor has no clothes and all he knows how to do is yell loudly.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

He's 72 and has spent 70 of those years never having to worry about the consequences of his bullshit. Someone has always done the actual work for him.

Now that he actually has to produce something he has no idea what to do. There's no actual plan to build a wall, no cost estimate, no specs, no schedule, nothing. The emperor has no clothes and all he knows how to do is yell loudly.

Not to mention how the GOP has no plans for governance, they have nothing to use as a lure to keep him going along. McConnell hasn't a damn thing he can offer up to Trump, policy wise, that'll work as a substitute. Being a party of "No" means you don't have anything you want to say "Yes" to when your turn to run things comes around. And all McConnell can do is the same thing he's been doing: Nothing.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
    Juggernut wrote: »

El.

Oh.

El.
    Oh lordy. Those look thinner than I was thinking they were too.

edited January 2019

Later he said, “I didn’t smash the table. I should have.”

Like, what? So he’s denying doing it — in front of witnesses! — but saying he should have?

This is why the shutdown is going on and on. Our President is stuck in some warped, demented personal reality while the rest of us wrestle with objective facts.

joshofalltrades on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I can't figure out if Trump is just spinning lies, or if he's legitimately unfit for office in a mental sense

I can't figure out if Trump is just spinning lies, or if he's legitimately unfit for office in a mental sense

Yes

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Edit: so slow

I Zimbra on
    "I politely said bye-bye and left."

~Screams with ontological horror~

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    On the list of reasons Trump is unfit for office "Mental Health" is probably no higher than, like, 7

Psn:wazukki
    "His favorite lie"? So he uses it a lot?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So I like how that snip of the plans get Mexico to pay for the wall is a straight up protection scheme

Not a trade deal, but a “abuse one of the banking provisions of the Patriot Act to extort Mexico and force them to give us the envelope with the money in it”

Captain Inertia on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    As if him slamming his hand on the table was the real point of contention. Nobody really gives a shit whether he did that or not.

It’s the getting up and immediately stopping negotiations the second he was told he wouldn’t get exactly what he’s demanding that people are focused on.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "I am NOT a big cranky baby!"

Marathon wrote: »
    As if him slamming his hand on the table was the real point of contention. Nobody really gives a shit whether he did that or not.

It’s the getting up and immediately stopping negotiations the second he was told he wouldn’t get exactly what he’s demanding that people are focused on.
    Yeah no kidding. He confirms that he immediately got up and walked out. He's not going to handle it well when the press point that out to him.

• SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

El.

Oh.

El.
    Oh lordy. Those look thinner than I was thinking they were too.

This cracks me up because there were no cross supports in the original MS Paint image, so I mentally see the middle bars hovering in space.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

I definitely like the idea someone posted that all these negotiations be televised, if there's going to be contention as to what was said or done in the meetings. Let's see who has the calmer demeanour, and who's the irate toddler.

Pelosi already has Trump's number, so it'd be fun.

This discussion has been closed.