As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    To be fair, “bye-bye” and slamming the table are also fairly alarming ways to end negotiations

In other, more dangerous negotiations, it would be... frightening, to say the least

I think he is honestly losing his grip on reality and is horrifyingly, obviously unfit for office, and declaring a national emergency to get his wall would signal to me that he is so far beyond gone that he needs to be removed from it ASAP

A president that will fuck with the entire country for a racist, pointless, expensive vanity project and refuse to budge to the point that he will go above their will and Congress’ to get his way is closer to a dictator than a democratically-elected president

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah he learned from when he had to own up to the shutdown and how schumer and pelosi played him. He's not bringing the cameras in to mug again he'll get creamed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    As if him slamming his hand on the table was the real point of contention. Nobody really gives a shit whether he did that or not.

It’s the getting up and immediately stopping negotiations the second he was told he wouldn’t get exactly what he’s demanding that people are focused on.

I definitely like the idea someone posted that all these negotiations be televised, if there's going to be contention as to what was said or done in the meetings. Let's see who has the calmer demeanour, and who's the irate toddler.

Pelosi already has Trump's number, so it'd be fun.

The funny thing is Pelosi tried to save Trump from himself when she suggested they take the famous "I'll own the shut down" conversation off camera.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Sunrize wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah that impenetrable wall we're currently shut down over?

It can be cut with a saw.

El.

Oh.

El.
    Oh lordy. Those look thinner than I was thinking they were too.

This cracks me up because there were no cross supports in the original MS Paint image, so I mentally see the middle bars hovering in space.

Given the lack of reality surrounding the whole wall thing, this is remarkably on-brand.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    To be fair, “bye-bye” and slamming the table are also fairly alarming ways to end negotiations

In other, more dangerous negotiations, it would be... frightening, to say the least

I think he is honestly losing his grip on reality and is horrifyingly, obviously unfit for office, and declaring a national emergency to get his wall would signal to me that he is so far beyond gone that he needs to be removed from it ASAP

A president that will fuck with the entire country for a racist, pointless, expensive vanity project and refuse to budge to the point that he will go above their will and Congress’ to get his way is closer to a dictator than a democratically-elected president

And over the pettiest of shit*

*of course if you overlook that he’s probably already received advances on the graft he’s probably looking to get from the construction contractors

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    As to the 'Wall can be broken down' image, it is IMPOSSIBLE to build a wall that someone else cannot knock down given access to a home depot, proximity to the wall and 6 hours. No technology can exist to build something on a large scale for which the counter technology, given the level of access that people will have to an unguarded wall, cannot be easily built by the consumer using stuff from a hardware store. This has been true for the entirety of history. Walls provide height advantage for defenders, protection from incoming missiles designed to kill defenders, and encourage people to take alternate routes due to the time commitment required to knock them down. At no point in history has a wall EVER done anything to deter movement which modern drones and a rapid response border patrol force could not also achieve.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    As if him slamming his hand on the table was the real point of contention. Nobody really gives a shit whether he did that or not.

It’s the getting up and immediately stopping negotiations the second he was told he wouldn’t get exactly what he’s demanding that people are focused on.

I definitely like the idea someone posted that all these negotiations be televised, if there's going to be contention as to what was said or done in the meetings. Let's see who has the calmer demeanour, and who's the irate toddler.

Pelosi already has Trump's number, so it'd be fun.

The funny thing is Pelosi tried to save Trump from himself when she suggested they take the famous "I'll own the shut down" conversation off camera.

I think she was actually playing him hard

He was basically going to oppose any suggestion she made, so asking him to take it off cameras came off more to me as her baiting him into “Oh you want off the cameras eh? Keep them rolling! This is gonna be good for me!”

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nah he learned from when he had to own up to the shutdown and how schumer and pelosi played him. He's not bringing the cameras in to mug again he'll get creamed.

Then you get to call him on that.

"Mr President, what do you have to hide? Why, when given the capacity to prove you're the level headed one, do you not take it?"

Shit like that. Basically, force him to choose betweeb humiliation (if he does), and cowardice (if he doesn't).

I'm morbidly curious which motive has greater sway over his psyche.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    As to the 'Wall can be broken down' image, it is IMPOSSIBLE to build a wall that someone else cannot knock down given access to a home depot, proximity to the wall and 6 hours. No technology can exist to build something on a large scale for which the counter technology, given the level of access that people will have to an unguarded wall, cannot be easily built by the consumer using stuff from a hardware store. This has been true for the entirety of history. Walls provide height advantage for defenders, protection from incoming missiles designed to kill defenders, and encourage people to take alternate routes due to the time commitment required to knock them down. At no point in history has a wall EVER done anything to deter movement which modern drones and a rapid response border patrol force could not also achieve.

And yet...

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Is it really playing Trump to just assume Trump will act like Trump and embarrass himself?

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Apparently Donald is still talking in public. I'm seeing a new clip of him saying "During the campaign, I would say Mexico is going to pay for it. Obviously, I never said this" in the news.

Found a tweet with it.

Can we get a fresh round of mental health checks for trump? because yeah: This is a bit of a clue that the man is coming down with alzheimers.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Uh... yeah? Not sure who you are arguing with here. We all know and agree on this.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

If a man had tools to make a thing another man with half those tools can unmake it. Its always a lot easier to wreck something than to build it. This is why walls are only as good as your ability to have them constantly manned.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm thinking the most likely (and probably best) conclusion to this thing is Trump just saying fuck it and declaring a national emergency already.

He's clearly gearing up for that, trying to paint this as "I'm doing my best to do this the proper way, but those dang Democrats won't let me, so I'll just do it myself and reopen the government."

It's a way that will allow everyone to save face in the short term. And then, hopefully, Trump gets shot down by the court system who will tell him lol no, that's not how this shit works.

But at that point, Trump will either rage on Twitter and fight the court system until this hits SCOTUS, or, more likely, find a way to declare Mission Accomplished and change the subject.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm thinking the most likely (and probably best) conclusion to this thing is Trump just saying fuck it and declaring a national emergency already.

He's clearly gearing up for that, trying to paint this as "I'm doing my best to do this the proper way, but those dang Democrats won't let me, so I'll just do it myself and reopen the government."

It's a way that will allow everyone to save face in the short term. And then, hopefully, Trump gets shot down by the court system who will tell him lol no, that's not how this shit works.

But at that point, Trump will either rage on Twitter and fight the court system until this hits SCOTUS, or, more likely, find a way to declare Mission Accomplished and change the subject.

At this point, I honestly think he's also just waiting for the 22nd day mark so he can brag that he shut down the Government longer than anybody else.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The best way to prove you’re not a big baby is to call people names and draw lots of attention to yourself by loudly shouting, “I AM NOT A BIG BABY!”

• HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    He'll probably build about 50 feet of wall somewhere on DoD property. By the time the court strikes it down, those 50 feet of wall will already be there, and nobody is going to tear it down after the fact. Then Trump will proudly proclaim that he got the wall built and thanks to him the border is now secure.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Apparently Donald is still talking in public. I'm seeing a new clip of him saying "During the campaign, I would say Mexico is going to pay for it. Obviously, I never said this" in the news.

Found a tweet with it.

Can we get a fresh round of mental health checks for trump? because yeah: This is a bit of a clue that the man is coming down with alzheimers.

Nah he just says whatever he thinks will benefit him the most in any given situation and then deletes it from his very limited floppy disk of a brain immediately after.

Juggernut on
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

Found a tweet with it.

Nah he just says whatever he thinks will benefit him the most in any given situation and then deletes it from his very limited floppy disk of a brain immediately after.

Thats pretty much a good definition of what Alzheimers disease does to your decision making process.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think that claiming that the democrats have agreed and that the wall is being built would be as effective as anything else.

edited January 2019
    I think that claiming that the democrats have agreed and that the wall is being built would be as effective as anything else.

Honestly I don't understand why he doesn't just DO that. There are plenty of spots on the border where impressive fencing is being built and refurbished right now. He should say....

"Thanks to my smart leadership, I've come up with a plan to secure the border with a wall far cheaper than the Democrats thought they could do it! So I will now sign the bill to re-open the government and construction of the wall will proceed apace!"

and then he can literally go to the border RIGHT NOW and get video of him with people building really serious looking fences, and repairing damage, and patrolling vast sections of wall.

Government open, Trump says he won, and look, here are photos of him with a big old wall. Take that stupid Democrats!

edit - And it looks even better for Trump, because the Democrats are now having to make the complex argument that when they said "There would never be a single cent for a wall" they meant that there wouldn't be any money for a specific sort of NEW wall, and Trump can do the simple thing of just handing over big checks to construction firms, and meeting with workers putting up fences and barriers. He can even say that he's stopped the crisis, and immigration is back to manageable levels, BECAUSE IT ALREADY IS.

tbloxham on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The best way to prove you’re not a big baby is to call people names and draw lots of attention to yourself by loudly shouting, “I AM NOT A BIG BABY!”

Yeah, not sure who to believe: a twenty year sitting Senator, or the guy who routinely tweets provable lies in all caps and literally just called that senior Senator “cryin chuck.”

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I mean, that was just insanely stupid to begin with, to claim that he was going to be able to force Mexico to pay for the wall.

I think the most insulting thing about Trump is that his lies are just blatant crazy stupid bullshit that he doesn’t even really try to obfuscate or walk back strategically. It’s almost like there’s an undertone of “yeah, I’m lying to you. So what?” to everything he says and does, which shows an excessive amount of disrespect for American citizens. His lies are crazy and lazy. He is pathological.

At least past lying presidents and their teams tried to lie intelligently.

He's 72 and has spent 70 of those years never having to worry about the consequences of his bullshit. Someone has always done the actual work for him.

Now that he actually has to produce something he has no idea what to do. There's no actual plan to build a wall, no cost estimate, no specs, no schedule, nothing. The emperor has no clothes and all he knows how to do is yell loudly.

Not to mention how the GOP has no plans for governance, they have nothing to use as a lure to keep him going along. McConnell hasn't a damn thing he can offer up to Trump, policy wise, that'll work as a substitute. Being a party of "No" means you don't have anything you want to say "Yes" to when your turn to run things comes around. And all McConnell can do is the same thing he's been doing: Nothing.

It's a perfect storm of ineptitude 50 years in the making. We got Monty Burns syndrome.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Pelosi should just say Trump isn't man enough to negotiate on camera. Those meetings would be on TV tomorrow.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

According to NPR yesterday, most people aren't even trying to avoid them! Most of the illegal crossings happen close to know entry points and people are looking for agents so they can get picked up, claim asylum, then be released to wait several years for their case to come up.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    spool32 wrote: »

According to NPR yesterday, most people aren't even trying to avoid them! Most of the illegal crossings happen close to know entry points and people are looking for agents so they can get picked up, claim asylum, then be released to wait several years for their case to come up.

Asylum is a legal right and claiming it does not make you an illegal alien. I suppose crossing at place that aren't ports of entry can be termed "illegal" but I have a quibble with that term being broadly painted across the backs of people clearly seeking asylum and being forced to "get picked up" because the port of entry is basically closed indefinitely.

So It Goes on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Asylum is a legal right and claiming it does not make you an illegal alien. I suppose crossing at place that aren't ports of entry can be termed "illegal" but I have a quibble with that term being broadly painted across the backs of people clearly seeking asylum and being forced to "get picked up" because the port of entry is basically closed indefinitely.

Yes, in our current situation those who are not complying with the law are those refusing to treat asylum seekers in the manner we have previously laid out in law.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We're kind of seeping into immigration policy here so further comments on this particular thread of conversation probably should shift over there.

Yup this was going on when all the kids were coming across unacompanied. They were told specifically cross at known places go to a road sit there until the border patrol comes to get you. They are not trying to hide.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

At this point, I honestly think he's also just waiting for the 22nd day mark so he can brag that he shut down the Government longer than anybody else.

I swear, I had the same thought this morning. I think that’s it.

He can’t win at anything else, so why not excel at being the pettiest princess. I mean president.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

He can’t win at anything else, so why not excel at being the pettiest princess. I mean president.

That would fit into his insatiable need to be the “best”.

“We were trapped in the longest government shutdown in history, until I did what neeeded to be done and ended it!”

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    ~Screams with ontological horror~

This has been me for the better part of the last 18 months. The first 6 months I lied to myself that he was just running a con/grift and went about my business, but it's become more and more clear that he has no moorings to reality as we know it.

I can only imagine what Anselm or Thomas Aquinas would do hearing some of his screeds.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do you think he wakes up knowing he's president, or does he have to be reminded? Does he think this is all just on the TV?

• TachTach Registered User regular

That would fit into his insatiable need to be the “best”.

“We were trapped in the longest government shutdown in history, until I did what neeeded to be done and ended it!”

Honestly, he’s going to do that anyway. Whatever he ends up doing, that’ll be the exact quote.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    There's plenty of details on McConnell saying "no, fuck you".
    McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign. And the President has dug in in his refusal to sign legislation that does not meet his demand for roughly $5 billion for a border wall, which Democrats refuse to provide.

"The last thing we need to do right now is trade pointless -- absolutely pointless -- show votes back and forth across the aisle," McConnell said on the floor. He added, "The political stunts are not going to get us anywhere."
    McConnell instead blamed Democrats for the impasse, saying that the shutdown has been "prolonged by my Democratic colleagues' refusal to even come to the table."

So there's that. They managed to get Kavanaugh through by sheer spite, so who knows.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the whole wall is a political stunt mitch.

you don't come to the table with terrorists. the government is non-negotiable mitch.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm very happy democrats gained control of the house because, guess what, all legislation starts in the house.

So fuck you McConnell. Republicans are the ones that need to come to the table now.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's plenty of details on McConnell saying "no, fuck you".
    McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign. And the President has dug in in his refusal to sign legislation that does not meet his demand for roughly $5 billion for a border wall, which Democrats refuse to provide.

"The last thing we need to do right now is trade pointless -- absolutely pointless -- show votes back and forth across the aisle," McConnell said on the floor. He added, "The political stunts are not going to get us anywhere."
    McConnell instead blamed Democrats for the impasse, saying that the shutdown has been "prolonged by my Democratic colleagues' refusal to even come to the table."

So there's that. They managed to get Kavanaugh through by sheer spite, so who knows.

So the guy refusing to hold a vote on something passing the house is trying to claim the other party is not coming to the table fuck you mitch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm very happy democrats gained control of the house because, guess what, all legislation starts in the house.

So fuck you McConnell. Republicans are the ones that need to come to the table now.

Also, the Democrats were at the literal negotiating table yesterday!

Sounds like one or more of the dems are going to object to adjourning for the weekend today. That should be pretty interesting I am not sure if doing so then requires a 60 vote majority to adjourn or not. Probably a good idea though nobody is going home for a weekend until we open the govt back up.

This discussion has been closed.