As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Servers are up, Patch 8.2 ahoy ! When did Azshara grow three extra eyes ?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I know people love to take the path of least resistance.

But I bet it would go a whole lot faster to just play the Mythic and win it, then to let the computer win while idling on the boat.

Also, at least for the first 4 or so mythics, you would be contributing to your weekly quest. But I guess maybe the people doing the AFK thing don't care about the weekly and are just farming for island loot?

Anyway, my point is really that if time and efficiency are your goal, playing the map and winning would get you your loot faster than idling.

The point isn't time efficiency, is AFK time efficiency, where the path that lets you just alt-tab to Netflix takes priority.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    That isnt even a mentality that i understand. I would just not play a game if the way i played it was to actively try to not play it. Like i could just as easily make a spearsheet and every day roll a dice to try and beat my all time high score and update my high score. Because thats basically what just doing rng things for loot you dont use is doing, youre just trying to get arbitrarily larger numbers.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    They can sell it on the AH I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    You tend to see a lot of this type of behaviour in game content that is more grindy and doesn't necessarily have a game mechanics loop fun enough to sustain the player's interest through the grind required to get the desired rewards. In FFXIV, you saw a lot of AFK behaviour when they introduced Eureka which had a huge grind for some desired rewards. It was faster to get through the grind through alternate means, but it wasn't fun enough to be something you would want to do for the whole grind. Therefore, what a lot of people ended up doing was putting Netflix or another thing on their other monitor and did the minimal afk-type interactions to get some rewards while they did something else out of game. Island Expeditions are likely going to be vulnerable to this type of behaviour, since the time use is not for WoW, but for the other thing the person is doing while they still reap some rewards from WoW.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean, if you have a group willing to sit afk it’s Basically Free Real Estate

I expect blizzard will just tie the rewards to actually winning, since it’s not as though that’s hard.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Once my DK hits 120 ill have to grind dungeons for silvermoon rep as well. How long did it take you to grind it out/how far along were you when you started?

I needed roughly 3k so one heroic ramparts plus the first pull of heroic blood furnace got me there very quickly. So it's a pretty easy grind, as a couple of others have mentioned, once you get to it. I did it at 102 and not 120 even, and it was trivial.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have done about 100 Islands this week across 9 120s mostly with a partner and yes there have been A LOT of people who think it's perfectly acceptable to afk on the boat.

At first i was polite and gave a friendly "Hey if you don't start helping you will be removed." Funny enough nobody ever got the hint. Literally every time i warned somebody it was met with some rudeness or sass. This is why i run with a partner if i want somebody off the island they're off the island.

As arrogant as that sounds i'd like to stress that i only kick people from islands for afking or being rude. I don't remove people purely to be a jerk.

• Options
    I want to be clear, I am not advocating for afking, just making an observation based on typical mmo behaviour of how things will turn out.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I honestly don't feel much difference in the islands from 8.0 to 8.1. They say they moved mob density around and tried to create more concentrated camps. But I still feel like there are crocs, boars, snakes, and super aggressive deer all over the place. It really doesn't feel any different to me.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Hotfixes wrote:
    Players are now able to purchase Elixir of Tongues from Lizzi Liverzapper. Using and applying the potion will allow players to be able to understand the opposite faction.

Oooh, an excellent idea in the faction war expansion.

No cooldown, lasts an hour, costs 30 gold.

Methinks they should just let cross-faction communication happen, period, next expansion. 'Common' is a traditional feature in a lot of fantasy worlds, and we see IN CUTSCENES that Horde and Alliance characters can talk to one another just fine.

If the concern is harassment, it's not like the ignore feature isn't right there.

Or just have it an opt in feature. If you want to hear it flag it on if you don't want to be "harassed" then don't turn it on.

• Options
    I honestly don't feel much difference in the islands from 8.0 to 8.1. They say they moved mob density around and tried to create more concentrated camps. But I still feel like there are crocs, boars, snakes, and super aggressive deer all over the place. It really doesn't feel any different to me.

The newer island seemed to be pretty much how they described it. The older islands are better but mob density is still pretty thick without really clear paths through.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

The newer island seemed to be pretty much how they described it. The older islands are better but mob density is still pretty thick without really clear paths through.

I wasn't really saying that as a complaint either. Merely an observation. I personally do not mind all the density. I am a tank and I just ride through, round up a ton of stuff and clump it up for killing. The density doesn't bother me. I was just noticing that they said they moved density into camps but that does not seem to be the case.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Re: language:

They're probably not turning it on because having a language barrier is one of the best ways to get two groups of people to hate each other. I'm legitimately surprised they even offer a way around it at all.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Re: language:

They're probably not turning it on because having a language barrier is one of the best ways to get two groups of people to hate each other. I'm legitimately surprised they even offer a way around it at all.

With PvP servers, a language barrier makes sense since allowing cross-faction talk there is a quick recipe for incredibly toxic communication (and a bunch of extra GM tickets).

But with PvP servers not being a thing anymore, can slow roll players on the idea.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    kaid wrote: »

I wasn't really saying that as a complaint either. Merely an observation. I personally do not mind all the density. I am a tank and I just ride through, round up a ton of stuff and clump it up for killing. The density doesn't bother me. I was just noticing that they said they moved density into camps but that does not seem to be the case.

The old islands are a bit changed but also seemed pretty close to what they were before. The new island I did seemed to match more closely with what they were talking about for the mob changes so may just be a bit of change in the process of making the island that the new islands just had more time to fine tune the spawning areas.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Oh wow fuck the Yellow Monocle puzzle.

For me the "fuck this" one is the fish trading bullshit on timers

• Options
    Roe wrote: »
    I reached 100 on my Zandalar blacksmithing. So far I've sunk about 50k+ gold into buying mats.

Can anyone who has hit top BSing tell me what I can expect to make for gold on a normal day ballpark?

In my experience 0 gold per day.

I've been a blacksmith since vanilla and I literally have never made money except in Legion with the mount.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    I reached 100 on my Zandalar blacksmithing. So far I've sunk about 50k+ gold into buying mats.

Can anyone who has hit top BSing tell me what I can expect to make for gold on a normal day ballpark?

In my experience 0 gold per day.

I've been a blacksmith since vanilla and I literally have never made money except in Legion with the mount.

I made money in MoP with the Isle of Thunder weapons too. Really considering getting rid of it on my main and going back up mining.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    At least earlier in the expansion it was possible to make money by crafting 310 gear and weapons (mainly weapons). Not sure if that market is still there, and also the patch added a bunch of 340 recipes.

Other than that, blacksmiths can craft hoofplates that allow you to interact with objects while mounted, those could be a thing in your local auction house.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I made money with smithing in WotLK.

I got the Int Boots plans from Ulduar, and I was the only hordie on the server with those plans for a really long time. I charged 5k+mats to do combines. It was quick, easy money. Customer brings me everything to make them, plus money, and all I had to do was press a button and watch a bar fill up.

That's the only time in WoW I've made money with that profession.

I would say in BfA, smithing is miserable. The amount of Monolite required to level up is well past obscene. The amount of resources a person has to put into it for literally zero return is plain awful. The natural leveling and gearing loop will very likely have a person outgearing any of the Smithing crafted gear before a person is able to make themselves anything.

It certainly happened for me like that. I do my emissary every day, and usually a lot more daily quests beyond that, specifically targeting AP payouts and sometimes other things too. And ever since 8.1 I've been doing as many Invasions as I can. I've hit 5 so far. Additionally, I've completed about 98% of all zone quests, finished all the War Campaign quests, and as a general blanket statement, I have spent a lot of time "out in the world" and with everything I have mined myself, my smithing is only 85.

And I refuse to spend money on it to buy the Monolite to finish, because I know that's money I'll never earn back. Smithing in BfA is a total black hole of money and resources.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    In other news, I've finally gotten to level 110 and have gotten into the BfA content. Should have gotten there sooner but I've been away from home lately.

Guys I kinda super love Zandalar. I love the gratuitous use of gold for all the decor, I love the pyramids, I love the Zandalari, the swamps, all this shit. This is a fucking cool place.

Also Re: BSing: In Vanilla and BC I think Engineers were supposed to be the largest money sinks, but Blacksmiths were always a close second. Sharpening stones and armor enhancements would sometimes fetch money at the AH but only for people who didn't like enchants for some reason.

It's kinda always bothered me that Blacksmiths don't shine in this game.

• Options
    The outdoor zone design of BfA is some of the best they have ever done.

All 6 outdoor zones are glorious.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I have done about 100 Islands this week across 9 120s mostly with a partner and yes there have been A LOT of people who think it's perfectly acceptable to afk on the boat.

At first i was polite and gave a friendly "Hey if you don't start helping you will be removed." Funny enough nobody ever got the hint. Literally every time i warned somebody it was met with some rudeness or sass. This is why i run with a partner if i want somebody off the island they're off the island.

As arrogant as that sounds i'd like to stress that i only kick people from islands for afking or being rude. I don't remove people purely to be a jerk.

Honestly even pugging I have never had problems getting an afker kicked. Generally me and the other person doing stuff are moving a long and if its obvious that the guy on the boat is not moving or doing anything the active person will vote to kick with me with no fuss. Somebody sitting their leaching just slows it down for everybody so no point putting up with it.

• Options
    In my experience if someone sees a kick vote on their screen and the reason says "AFK", unless they are literally that person or a friend of theirs, they'll assume that's correct and push the kick button.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Hivemind stuff.

You don't actually need all four monocles. You can just collect one and group up with people using the other colors. Hell one required position for the monocle part requires no monocles at all.

Each monocle color lets you damage a specific mob four hidden in each corner of suramar what you need is one monocle of each color one each for four people then somebody with no monocles can be the person who runs into the room that opens up when all four "die" at the same time.

Pretty neat and it's why you're seeing a lot of scummy "Selling Hivemind skip" groups

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pretty neat and it's why you're seeing a lot of scummy "Selling Hivemind skip" groups

Hard disagree on your judgey tone there. If someone feels like paying to skip a puzzle, and there's a bunch of people willing to farm out their efforts, there's nothing wrong with that. Emergent player behaviour like that is something WoW has a massive shortage of, and I'm glad to see some of it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I did the Hivemind stuff the "right way" last night with my group. But even then, it seemed a little bit shoddy and questionable. If multiple groups are working on it simultaneously, a situation where groups unintentionally allow one another to skip it becomes highly possible.

Our fifth person, who was the door-entry doll clicker person ended up not even needing us. We were all spread around the world, each at our four monocle locations. But there were no less than 3 other groups doing it at the same time, and the guy in my group was able to just walk right in. So yes, we put in the effort to farm the monocles, and yes, we were each at different meat piles around the zone, but then it ended up not mattering anyway.

In a way, we were kind of disappointed that we were denied the experience of the 4 of us synchronizing our kills and opening the door for our 5th, but we weren't disappointed enough to wait around to do it the right way.

But yea, I'm totally on board with people selling skips. If a person has lots of money and not a lot of time or patience, I am glad to relieve them of their gold to let them walk through the door.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Hard disagree on your judgey tone there. If someone feels like paying to skip a puzzle, and there's a bunch of people willing to farm out their efforts, there's nothing wrong with that. Emergent player behaviour like that is something WoW has a massive shortage of, and I'm glad to see some of it.

Im 99% sure the reason you hard disaree is actually because you sell m+/raids of some difficulty and that's basically paying to skip content as well. It isn't emergent player behavior, people gouge others to do content for them all the time, and it certainly isn't good for the game. It certainly isn't something i want to see more of.

• Options
    Eh I mean if it bothered me I would mute trade chat and not engage in that behavior.

• Options
    It goes so much further than trade chat. There are people selling shit for gold in LFG even though they changed their policy to be against that. And people buying gear basically causes people to have high ilvl and still fucking suck at their class, which just makes it that much harder to find competent people to do any content.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh hey, nice, the new brawl (Cooking: Impossible) is up this week.

EDIT: Oh god it involves Nomi. ABORT

EDIT 2: In all seriousness, it's actually pretty cool.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Also, on the most practical terms, running a mythic guild costs a lot of gold in consumables and repair bills, so selling carries makes perfect sense. You will have to look hard for a top end guild that doesn't do it and you don't need pretentious terms like "emerging gameplay" to defend it.

Gold makes the world go round, specially when tokens add Blizzard balance.

(Which makes a lot of posts complaining about having to use IRL money for the blue fox super weird).

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Survivor: WoW

It's not arrogant, it's pretty reasonable to kick people who've made it clear they have no plans to contribute.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Okay, so Cooking Impossible.
    uL05MUV.jpg[/img]

The ingredients you need all spawn at those farms at the yellow dots on the edges. You need to grab them and tote them back to your flag. You do not need to click on anything when you get to your drop-off point, just run it in. Although don't be a silly goose like some people I've seen and run them through the enemy team's kitchen... since you drop the ingredients when you die, ergo making it a easy turn-in for the enemy team.

The three stars are large virmin that you can defeat and ride for special abilities, like a AOE air knock-up or fear. Helps break up zergs if there's a big mess in your kitchen.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    The new brawl is actually a lot of fun. The special virmin abilities like the knock up make people drop their food. so if you can get one and keep that person alive, they can just knock all the enemies in the air as they come to turn in and steal their food.

Also ele shaman is kinda nuts since the patch in pvp. and not even because of lasso that everyone complains about, usually enemies are on DR just because everyone throws stuns out willy nilly. The real terror is combining stormkeeper with master of elements, surge of power, and trinkets. after i got all the buffs up i 100-0 a flag carrier in wsg pressing lightning bolt twice. got like 4-5 overloads and they were all boosted by a lot of %.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I still don't entirely get the island stuff.

The normals seem stupid hard and there's stuff that just like oneshots you out of nowhere with no visual indicator it's happening.

I was tanking some elites and a rare then all of a sudden all 3 of us were dead.

Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than just run around and kill those elites/rares/pick up azerite stuff. On normal they seem to keep up pretty well with us even if we kill the npc group occasionally and destroy their extractors or whatever.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    The new brawl is actually a lot of fun. The special virmin abilities like the knock up make people drop their food. so if you can get one and keep that person alive, they can just knock all the enemies in the air as they come to turn in and steal their food.

Also ele shaman is kinda nuts since the patch in pvp. and not even because of lasso that everyone complains about, usually enemies are on DR just because everyone throws stuns out willy nilly. The real terror is combining stormkeeper with master of elements, surge of power, and trinkets. after i got all the buffs up i 100-0 a flag carrier in wsg pressing lightning bolt twice. got like 4-5 overloads and they were all boosted by a lot of %.

That sounds pretty boring for all parties involved to be honest. The non-interactive pvp gameplay is what always turned me off from delving in deeper to the game mode.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I still don't entirely get the island stuff.

The normals seem stupid hard and there's stuff that just like oneshots you out of nowhere with no visual indicator it's happening.

I was tanking some elites and a rare then all of a sudden all 3 of us were dead.

Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than just run around and kill those elites/rares/pick up azerite stuff. On normal they seem to keep up pretty well with us even if we kill the npc group occasionally and destroy their extractors or whatever.

You've got the "what to do" down

Getting one shot is definitely an occupational hazard. Most stuff in islands either does basically no damage or fucking obliterates you, with very little in between.

However, some general rules help. Most of the time, ground AOE effects and spellcasters will wreck you, while melee autoattacks are mostly trivial.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    what's the trick to win things higher than normal? Do you just send one person to harass the other group while the other two work on collecting azerite or something?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    what's the trick to win things higher than normal? Do you just send one person to harass the other group while the other two work on collecting azerite or something?

Big pulls, and hunt rares. Generally when you lose it's because you pulled too small. When I'm farming normals it's not uncommon to win 6000/1500 because we do more or less the entire island in one pull.

This discussion has been closed.