As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Servers are up, Patch 8.2 ahoy ! When did Azshara grow three extra eyes ?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Is anybody else using the flight whistle in Dazar'Alor finding themselves teleported to the top of the zig, rather than the flight master?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I dunno why people are surprised when stuff like that gets nerfed; like it's clearly an exploitation of game mechanics to level faster than they want you to level

and like, I don't think it's some great sin to participate in it but you can't really be surprised that 'blizzard nerf fun' when fun just means 'we found a way to get rewards much faster than normal'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    whoa
    cjb5gm7nk85l.jpg

That is an error I have not seen in a long time. They done fucked some shit up with this recent patch. Been disconnected a few times tonight or got hung on a loading screen.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    There is already an update stating they are going to reconsider.

While that is good that they realized this was a HORRIBLE decision, the kneejerk reaction makes me wonder what the fuck is even going on in this company anymore.

Honestly, this sort of thing makes me wonder if someone is really really bored. Like... who's even looking at fucking data analytics for this? Someone's identifying that there are a lot of people locked between 110-115, then seeing they're spending their time in PvE and not PvP, and then seeing that they're partied with unlocked people? Unless Blizzard's data metrics are really advanced/weird, this was a lonnnnng process to figure this out.

Which, okay, this happens at game companies, somebody at the bottom is bored and messing around with the tools and they're super-nerds so this is what they do, but then they also have enough pull to get this raised up to the top and have a policy change implemented as a result of that? That seems weird. Surely, as a manager, you'd be asking why the fuck they're spending their time doing this and why the fuck they're wasting your time with this? So... does that mean it's someone at the TOP who's really fucking bored? Or someone at the top who is really obsessed over little shit and is tasking people to work on this little shit?

Guaranteed it's the new CFO telling them to find ways to bilk people for more money. "Why are people paying for services outside of our offerings?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I mean tbh this is no different than a level 100 running level 10s through deadmines.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Guaranteed it's the new CFO telling them to find ways to bilk people for more money. "Why are people paying for services outside of our offerings?"

Guaranteed it's not, since they don't sell any services related to this.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Confession: I have no idea how the new pvp progression system works. I can't find a menu where it lists my pvp stats anymore and I don't know what advancing in pvp rank gets me. Every now and then I go futzing through the system for it and ... kind of not obvious? Also, I have been too lazy to google it because I don't really care that much about pvp.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    There is already an update stating they are going to reconsider.

While that is good that they realized this was a HORRIBLE decision, the kneejerk reaction makes me wonder what the fuck is even going on in this company anymore.

Honestly, this sort of thing makes me wonder if someone is really really bored. Like... who's even looking at fucking data analytics for this? Someone's identifying that there are a lot of people locked between 110-115, then seeing they're spending their time in PvE and not PvP, and then seeing that they're partied with unlocked people? Unless Blizzard's data metrics are really advanced/weird, this was a lonnnnng process to figure this out.

Which, okay, this happens at game companies, somebody at the bottom is bored and messing around with the tools and they're super-nerds so this is what they do, but then they also have enough pull to get this raised up to the top and have a policy change implemented as a result of that? That seems weird. Surely, as a manager, you'd be asking why the fuck they're spending their time doing this and why the fuck they're wasting your time with this? So... does that mean it's someone at the TOP who's really fucking bored? Or someone at the top who is really obsessed over little shit and is tasking people to work on this little shit?

You're probably over-thinking this. It probably has nothing at all to do with data analysis.

Blizzard just went to reddit and read about it. And didn't like it.

• Options
    Its under the lfg tool under the pvp tab, then click the rated button on the left. It will show you rating in 2s, 3s, and rbgs. The top right chest icon will tell you what you need to do to get the weekly chest next week. The bar at the top shows how much conquest you have/need to jaut go choose a piece of gear of whichever slot is currently showing (its a set order of slot). The middle right shows which tier you have achieved and what rating is the next tier. The bottom right is percentage towards the pvp mount for the season, you have to win 80-100 arena matches above 1400 to get it, roughly.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Got into a island that was just the worst one i had ever done my party members were two mages and they just kept pulling and pulling but like overpulling over and over.

The entire island was just both mage's would run through three or four packs then die and the mobs would mince me we lost 4200 to 9000.

I got a mount drop from the loss.

Risen Mare looks like a basic undead racial mount.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Its under the lfg tool under the pvp tab, then click the rated button on the left. It will show you rating in 2s, 3s, and rbgs. The top right chest icon will tell you what you need to do to get the weekly chest next week. The bar at the top shows how much conquest you have/need to jaut go choose a piece of gear of whichever slot is currently showing (its a set order of slot). The middle right shows which tier you have achieved and what rating is the next tier. The bottom right is percentage towards the pvp mount for the season, you have to win 80-100 arena matches above 1400 to get it, roughly.

Thaaaaaaank yoooooou. LFG would have been the last place I checked! I don't do a ton, but I've weirdly enjoyed doing some extremely casual pvp to get the tokens for the oooold tier 3 raid gear I was too lazy to raid for back in the day. I really want that warlock one with the shoulders that have skulls on spikes. I already have the priest angel set from pvp in legion. Who knows, I might get into it more for leveling alts or something. Weirdly, bugs aside, the faction zone invasions are pretty fun to me. I actually kind of enjoy it when the factions hate each other, regardless of how little sense it makes when yet another big bad shows up. So the urge to get into battleground pvp is rising.

World pvp can still go to hell though.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Got into a island that was just the worst one i had ever done my party members were two mages and they just kept pulling and pulling but like overpulling over and over.

The entire island was just both mage's would run through three or four packs then die and the mobs would mince me we lost 4200 to 9000.

Ha, congrats! The RNG gods have taken pity on you.

I have yet to get a single new mount from this xpac outside of allied races. time to do some islands!

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »

I had almost the same experience and got like 3 of the battlepets in one go.

soylenth wrote: »

Thaaaaaaank yoooooou. LFG would have been the last place I checked! I don't do a ton, but I've weirdly enjoyed doing some extremely casual pvp to get the tokens for the oooold tier 3 raid gear I was too lazy to raid for back in the day. I really want that warlock one with the shoulders that have skulls on spikes. I already have the priest angel set from pvp in legion. Who knows, I might get into it more for leveling alts or something. Weirdly, bugs aside, the faction zone invasions are pretty fun to me. I actually kind of enjoy it when the factions hate each other, regardless of how little sense it makes when yet another big bad shows up. So the urge to get into battleground pvp is rising.

BGs are fun, and are even in win %. I can get my win of the day first try on both factions most of the time.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

... they do?

I mean not really but basically yes.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-service-level-110-character-boost

So once they're ready to roll out the new one they don't want competition, best to snuff it out now.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In a world where they hadn't just sped up leveling across the board that would make a ton of sense...but I doubt the WoW dev team writ large is sitting around trying to find ways to get you to buy boost tokens. I don't believe they are making game design decisions around it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ yet here we are

• Options
    I don't think they're concerned about 1-80 anymore, but I think they're pushing analytics at the higher end to encourage buying services as much as possible.

ATVI is concerned about money now, after all blizzard was told to make more games or else, so I imagine there's a lot of pressure to capture as much as possible.

Maybe not. Who knows.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying there aren't executives pushing that angle, but as someone who works in software (albeit not gaming), it's surprising how much power a dev team can exert over a C-suite's desires. Obviously sometimes you straight up get the "do this or else", but that's not a card C-levels tend to play very often for fear of losing their most talented people.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    In a world where they hadn't just sped up leveling across the board that would make a ton of sense...but I doubt the WoW dev team writ large is sitting around trying to find ways to get you to buy boost tokens. I don't believe they are making game design decisions around it.

I bet you $100 that Activision is putting the pressure on to sell more boosts and store items by removing features to make them more attractive, and the current CEO of Blizzard is an out and out corporate lickspittle. I think Morhaime provided some cover for his teams but Brack seems to be gleefully throwing them to the wolves.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I don’t think the dev team at large is looking for it, but I’ll bet people buying boosts was a peripheral issue previously and given the monetization push was identified as an area where players were spending real money that they could be spending on Blizzard services.

Especially given we’re about to see two new races unlocked, one that’s been anticipated since Vanilla.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's too early to tell what is Brack and what was already in motion before Morhaime stepped down. There are a whole lot of cogs in motion, and I don't think Brack has been in power long enough to really be casting the blame on him yet.

Projects such as Diablo Immortal would have been green lit by Morhaime. That would have happened long before Brack took the reigns. Likewise, all the various quality woes in BfA 8.0 ultimately fall at Morhaime's feet, as that project was in development far before Brack.

• Options
    The problem is ATVI literally just replaced a blizzard CFO with their former VP of investor relations. I doubt devs give a shit if someone is getting to 120 in 5 hours instead of 10. I sure as shit wouldn't.

• Options
    Oh they've replaced two c-level executives with ATVI stooges? lol RIP blizzard

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah, it was inevitable once Activision bought them that this was going to happen I think. Activision doesn't really believe in quality products over quantity. They want yearly releases monetized to the gills.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Yeah, it was inevitable once Activision bought them that this was going to happen I think. Activision doesn't really believe in quality products over quantity. They want yearly releases monetized to the gills.

Here I was just thinking it was this new CFO, but it's CEO and CFO from atvi proper? lol they're 100% getting Bullfrogged within the next 5 years.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Confession: I have no idea how the new pvp progression system works. I can't find a menu where it lists my pvp stats anymore and I don't know what advancing in pvp rank gets me. Every now and then I go futzing through the system for it and ... kind of not obvious? Also, I have been too lazy to google it because I don't really care that much about pvp.

Go to the group finder interface and at the bottom there is a tab for PVP once you go in there you can see your honor rank and at the top the bar for your conquest gains towards the next pvp item and if you click rated on the left you will see your season stats if you have done any rated pvp.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Removing features in order to protect some little thing the players are making a mockery of? That feels like a crazy-dev thing.

Putting a bunch of old store stuff in a bundle and announcing that those things are being "retired" in an effort to bump up q4 earnings? Now that sounds like Activision.

• Options
    Im sure theres a lot of internal anxiety about whether wow classic will boost sub numbers and thus earnings. Depending how all that goes it could make some analytics people crucify either retail wow devs or the team who pushed for the classic servers. Either way i imagine somebody will be getting the axe when it launches because either way someone will be on the wrong end of an argument. There arent really any other platforms for them to release diablo or overwatch on. Hearthstone probably wont go to consoles. Diablo gacha will be a flop. Wc3 remaster is a short term thing. They dont have much else in the pipes to throw at investors that are releasing in the next year. I expect there will be some scummy things in the next year to stop-gap those earnings.

Hopefully i get to enjoy the azshara patch before everything blizzard burns to the ground. Ive literally been looking forward to a max level naga themed zone/raid since wc3. Vashjyr was cool but nothing max level, and most raids with nagas are just a boss or two, other than coilfang, but tbc raids sucked other than kara.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Im sure theres a lot of internal anxiety about whether wow classic will boost sub numbers and thus earnings. Depending how all that goes it could make some analytics people crucify either retail wow devs or the team who pushed for the classic servers. Either way i imagine somebody will be getting the axe when it launches because either way someone will be on the wrong end of an argument. There arent really any other platforms for them to release diablo or overwatch on. Hearthstone probably wont go to consoles. Diablo gacha will be a flop. Wc3 remaster is a short term thing. They dont have much else in the pipes to throw at investors that are releasing in the next year. I expect there will be some scummy things in the next year to stop-gap those earnings.

Hopefully i get to enjoy the azshara patch before everything blizzard burns to the ground. Ive literally been looking forward to a max level naga themed zone/raid since wc3. Vashjyr was cool but nothing max level, and most raids with nagas are just a boss or two, other than coilfang, but tbc raids sucked other than kara.

I'm not sure why anyone should actually be panicking at all, actually. Blizzard's stock is dropping, sure, but so is, like, everybody's. Not just game companies, either, it's everybody. That's not a time when you go, "Shit shit shit okay lets try something really fucked up and hope it works!" It's when you explain to your investors that it's been a Bull Market for a couple years now and it's over. It's time to come back to reality.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

I'm not sure why anyone should actually be panicking at all, actually. Blizzard's stock is dropping, sure, but so is, like, everybody's. Not just game companies, either, it's everybody. That's not a time when you go, "Shit shit shit okay lets try something really fucked up and hope it works!" It's when you explain to your investors that it's been a Bull Market for a couple years now and it's over. It's time to come back to reality.

A lot of stocks are essentially normalizing too. But investors are dumb, so.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dhalphir wrote: »

... they do?

I mean not really but basically yes.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-service-level-110-character-boost

So once they're ready to roll out the new one they don't want competition, best to snuff it out now.

the boost is from level whatever to level 110; this issue is about people staying at 110 using legion gear/leggos to powerlevel other people from 110 to 120 via island expeditions

if anything it probably makes the 110 boost a little bit more attractive, since if you don't like leveling anyway now you also don't necessarily have to level the rest of the way

ed: also historically, max-level boosts have not become a thing until the prepatch for the next expansion

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Well that's what I mean. Every economist has been saying for the past 2 years that the stock market is based on hope and emotion right now instead of fundamentals, and it was doomed to eventually settle back down again. Without Blizzard posting their sub numbers anymore, it's really hard to say how they're actually doing.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

I don’t think the dev team at large is looking for it, but I’ll bet people buying boosts was a peripheral issue previously and given the monetization push was identified as an area where players were spending real money that they could be spending on Blizzard services.

Especially given we’re about to see two new races unlocked, one that’s been anticipated since Vanilla.

Just came in to lurk, as I haven't played wow in quite some time.

...What new races are being unlocked?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    zandalari trolls and kul tiran humans

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

Well that's got me from "won't ever play wow again" to "solidly waffling"

Zandalari trolls look fantastic

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Numi wrote: »
    Putting a bunch of old store stuff in a bundle and announcing that those things are being "retired" in an effort to bump up q4 earnings? Now that sounds like Activision.

I thought this was a joke about some other game Activision publishes, then I saw the news. Yikes.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Numi wrote: »

I thought this was a joke about some other game Activision publishes, then I saw the news. Yikes.

to be honest, i would never buy any of those for full price, and only a couple even interest me. them being 50% off is pretty huge. i probably will buy one of the battle pets, and maybe the faerie dragon, but thats it. that they are going away doesnt put any pressure on me at all anyway because i dont even like most of them.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

The plus side just doing your three daily wins in standard BG is a really good way to get some decent gear. And if you don't finish your 500 in one week no problem your progress carries over week to week.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Khraul wrote: »

Well that's got me from "won't ever play wow again" to "solidly waffling"

Zandalari trolls look fantastic

Be warned: so far allied race unlocks involve getting faction rep to exalted, so don't re-sub with dreams of just jumping in an getting to make a zandalari right away, gonna be a couple weeks of req grind at least first. Although in general the allied races look sharp and come with their own cool mount.

That said, I'm 75 rep away from being able to make Mag'har, so that should be fun to finish up tonight.

Also, one of the new warfront horde quests disguises you as a kul tiran human (I'm assuming this isn't really crucial enough to spoiler), and I liked the look of it a great deal. Will still be tempted to roll one when they're finally released. Although hoping they add mages because obviously, c'mon.

Do we know what rep it will be for those btw? Am I foolish for not having zandalari empire and proudmoore admirality at exalted? Or will it be some new rep unlocked with the patch we'll need to grind?

soylenth on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Well that's what I mean. Every economist has been saying for the past 2 years that the stock market is based on hope and emotion right now instead of fundamentals, and it was doomed to eventually settle back down again. Without Blizzard posting their sub numbers anymore, it's really hard to say how they're actually doing.

"THE STOCK MARKET IS DOOMED? SELL! SELL!" - Investor

This discussion has been closed.