As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Servers are up, Patch 8.2 ahoy ! When did Azshara grow three extra eyes ?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm fully onboard with a full reboot and faction merge, the more changes the better. I think it makes total sense for both the story and the game. But I'm not optimistic that they would do anything so drastic. So much more tempting to just put out another continent with a 130 cap to keep the current players paying their monthly fee.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah that all sounds like extremely wishful thinking to me.

Its ok to have hope Bahamut. Its ok to believe.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think they allow cross-server Mythic raiding, but it's on a time delay?

only after it's no longer cutting edge content, once the next raid tier is out I think

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    These were posted to r/wow a while back, apparently/allegedly from a survey Blizzard sent out.

https://i.imgur.com/gU9PlHl.png
    https://i.imgur.com/3z3DbMH.png

If it's legit, it lends credence to the idea that some sort of overhaul is on the horizon.

A level squish AND a change to factions seems like a good start to some sort of soft reboot.

Kamar on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think they allow cross-server Mythic raiding, but it's on a time delay?

only after it's no longer cutting edge content, once the next raid tier is out I think

Once the hall of fame fills. BoD has been cross realm for a few months now.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    These were posted to r/wow a while back, apparently/allegedly from a survey Blizzard sent out.

https://i.imgur.com/gU9PlHl.png
    https://i.imgur.com/3z3DbMH.png

If it's legit, it lends credence to the idea that some sort of overhaul is on the horizon.

A level squish AND a change to factions seems like a good start to some sort of soft reboot.

I too got a super secret blizzard survey from my uncle who works at nintendo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The level squish survey was absolutely real and widely discussed.

• Options
    are you implying my uncle doesn't work at nintendo?! how dare you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so is the idea that you'll just have this plethora of content available at 60 to keep people entertained? Because it sounds like a good idea actually.

M+ versions of molton core and bwl and doing it at level appropriate level... thought hey may have to rework it since we don't have shit like decursive anymore.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'd imagine they'll do it the easy way and just halve everything. So MC and BWL will be level 30.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'll do it the easy way and just halve everything. So MC and BWL will be level 30.

I'd kind of be disappointed in that a bit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    They're never going to do another revamp. Part of why Cata stumbled so hard is because of the time spent updating the old world.

Now they may truncate the leveling experience, creating some new zones designed to streamline everything. Maybe the new zones in 9.0 scale back to level 1, but go all the way to cap. Say the cap is 70; half the new zones will get you to 60, and the other half gets you to 70. A 60 only has to do half the zones to get to 70, but for the whole story you'll wanna do every zone at some point.

Of course, the old zones will still exist for variety. By making the expansion's story more of a lull in the overarching plot (a la Vanilla or MoP) the zones can be a bit more long-term in their relevance with everything relegated to local threats instead of Doomsday Scenarios.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I’m glad we are approaching expansion speculation time. That one of my favorite things about wow. Sometimes more than actually playing.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Does WoW only get 2 major content patches per expansion, or should we be expecting a .3 and .4 as well?

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I’m glad we are approaching expansion speculation time. That one of my favorite things about wow. Sometimes more than actually playing.
    The best part is seeing leaks and going "that's stupid and would never happen."

And then it ends up being the leak that's true.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Does WoW only get 2 major content patches per expansion, or should we be expecting a .3 and .4 as well?

Unless they seriously deviate from past expansions, we will get an 8.3 which has the last raid tier.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I’m will to put money down on wrathion and dragon flights being the next big thing. Even before all the hints dropping in 8.2.

Didn’t someone get bfas name right super early but everyone focused on the ashara angle.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Ah yes, the guy who plotted in MoP to have one side win the faction war in order to unify the mortal races against an impeding Legion invasion and, when that failed, set into motion the events of WoD in order to save Azeroth from the Legion with an army from across timelines.

So it was only natural that in Legion he play...no role whatsover when the actual invasion occurs. I'm sure we can expect nothing but excellent writing from him in the future.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Ah yes, the guy who plotted in MoP to have one side win the faction war in order to unify the mortal races against an impeding Legion invasion and, when that failed, set into motion the events of WoD in order to save Azeroth from the Legion with an army from across timelines.

So it was only natural that in Legion he play...no role whatsover when the actual invasion occurs. I'm sure we can expect nothing but excellent writing from him in the future.

To be fair though, any time spent on him could potentially have been less time spent with Dadghar, so like... yeah in this instance I think I prefer the timeline we got.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My understanding regarding Wrathion was that they wrote him out of the story in a last-minute rewrite.

You know all that Ebonhorn stuff? That was supposed to be Wrathion.

You know Ebonhorn. The last remaining black dragon, brood of Neltharion? The one that lore-wise and canon-wise shouldn't exist because Wrathion is the last? Yeah. They really screwed the pooch with their lore when they wrote Ebonhorn into the story. But they thought he humanized the ancient history of Huln better than Wrathion would.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My understanding regarding Wrathion was that they wrote him out of the story in a last-minute rewrite.

You know all that Ebonhorn stuff? That was supposed to be Wrathion.

You know Ebonhorn. The last remaining black dragon, brood of Neltharion? The one that lore-wise and canon-wise shouldn't exist because Wrathion is the last? Yeah. They really screwed the pooch with their lore when they wrote Ebonhorn into the story. But they thought he humanized the ancient history of Huln better than Wrathion would.

At least Ebonhorn did serve a very important role.

He's canon proof that Wrathion does not mean that Black Dragons are dicks regardless of whether they're corrupted or not, Wrathion is just a dick.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    To be fair, Wrathion is a literal child, so it's not surprising he panics at the first sign of danger and takes dramatic measures to handle it without thinking about the consequences.

And when his plans go awry he skulks away. In short, he's a styled himself as a mysterious chessmaster but lacks any of the experience or wisdom to properly pull that off.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ebonhorn is cool, wrathion is... not a character I know beyond seeing him sitting in that tavern on the mountain trail in pandaria, because I didn't play pandaria when it was current content

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I'm fully onboard with a full reboot and faction merge, the more changes the better. I think it makes total sense for both the story and the game. But I'm not optimistic that they would do anything so drastic. So much more tempting to just put out another continent with a 130 cap to keep the current players paying their monthly fee.

It would still be easy to do a two faction thing one merged alliance faction and one refusers faction of those who just won't go along with it. That way you can have horde/alliance people on the same side to be easier for friends to group/raid together.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I suspect we will see a third major content patch for BFA I think wod was the only one that got 2. Everything is setup for a show down with n'zoth and we are not going to see that in 8.2.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

I suspect we will see a third major content patch for BFA I think wod was the only one that got 2. Everything is setup for a show down with n'zoth and we are not going to see that in 8.2.

Sylvanas.

• Options
    Azshara in August/September for 8.2.5, then 8.3 in winter featuring...I dunno maybe Tirisfal as a Warfront and endgame zone like Darkshore? Then 8.3.5 featuring Totally Not Siege 2 raid in the late spring, and 9.0 patch in mid summer with the xpac in late august or early september.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yeah they'd have to gut too many systems to remove the split. I could see them giving you the option of transferring between factions independently of race though.

One less extreme way they could move away from the faction system would be to do something like this: it could be a third faction you can't start as, but can change to (via a questline), with the potential of using it as a stepping stone to then switch to the opposed faction. You'd still have Horde and Alliance and all the systems that depend on it unchanged, but people could be any race on any faction, and the pool of people you could group with for pve content becomes much wider via the third faction.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I searched for a source on this and it all appears to have come from one Reddit user, Nivens. Were there a lot of other people who came forward to confirm it? Because it's completely unbelievable to me that they would write a survey that literally announces a huge game overhaul to the public. That's not what surveys do. "Are you aware of this thing from the next expansion we've never announced? How do you feel about that?" Makes no sense. If they needed people's opinions about it they would have posed it as a hypothetical before deciding to do it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel if they do a level squish do it at either 60 or 100
    Bring back the talent trees the post cata system did solve the issue of the old talents but became a different mess

Really the story in BFA says to me they ran out of ideas

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

I searched for a source on this and it all appears to have come from one Reddit user, Nivens. Were there a lot of other people who came forward to confirm it? Because it's completely unbelievable to me that they would write a survey that literally announces a huge game overhaul to the public. That's not what surveys do. "Are you aware of this thing from the next expansion we've never announced? How do you feel about that?" Makes no sense. If they needed people's opinions about it they would have posed it as a hypothetical before deciding to do it.

Ion has openly talked about it in developer Q&As. It's not a secret that it's something they're considering.

• Options
    This quest honestly feels like a dev used the most horrific grammar he could think of in a bet with a colleague to see how long it took someone to notice it

unfortunately it is also entirely possible that it's just incompetence

cw92oh1nd369.png

• Options
    Two comma splices in one quest. My journalism teacher weeps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It was only 40 gold for the water walking on an alt.

I gotta wonder if there was even a point to that and not just make another heirloom-ish tab.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    For some reason the mount equipment on my main disappeared overnight. :\

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    This quest honestly feels like a dev used the most horrific grammar he could think of in a bet with a colleague to see how long it took someone to notice it

unfortunately it is also entirely possible that it's just incompetence

cw92oh1nd369.png

I wonder if it's emphasized that way to show the mechagnomes are fucked up?

• Options
    That is way too subtle for Blizzard.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    dym8gtih1qce.png

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It was only 40 gold for the water walking on an alt.

I gotta wonder if there was even a point to that and not just make another heirloom-ish tab.

Small gold sink + less UI effort + maybe more intuitive?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    As much as I'd love to blow up the faction divide, that shit ain't happenin', Blizzard don't have the stones to try.

Now, giving the player the ability to give the faction war the double middle fingers and allow you to communicate, guilds, party and raid with the other side, that I could see. If you pvp together, it'll just do what it does already with the mercenary system and make non-faction-appropriate players appear faction appropriate.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
This discussion has been closed.