As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Inauguration Fund/Committee Investigation.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Spoit wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    It's interesting how quickly Trump's top down approach to grift found purchase with his lieutenants and agency heads. The majority were quickly found to be living large off the tax payer dollar; buying insanely expensive furniture, first class plane tickets, keeping ridiculous security details, etc etc.

I suspect it's always been this way to some degree and they got greedy and dialed it up a little too much.

Or like, it was low key one of the reasons he liked them in the first place

It wasn't especially low key.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If you want people who are into, or tolerable towards your malfeasance, it helps if they're dirty too.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thank you for this thread and the writeup in the OP. Between that and the posts in the Mueller thread Im pretty sure I now know what this is all about :D always be grifting, ain't that the truth. I was dumbfounded when I heard there were crimes committed with the innaguration , wondering how you could commit a crime in relation to the innaguration .

Where there's a will, there's a way. This family sickens me.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The Obama people constantly mention that Obama felt that you set the tone at the top and I think he's entirely correct there. Trump basically sets the tone that he's in this for the money and it's ok to grift and so the people below him think they aren't gonna take any heat for it and look at all the people around them doing all this grifting and what could a little more hurt.

I suppose Truman's old "Buck Stops Here" plaque has lost all meaning today, but yeah, it's leadership 101, if the CEO is putting in 4 hour days, golfing all the time , skipping meetings, and hiding at home at home every time there's bad news, no one is going to be working particularly hard to run a tight ship under that CEO either. I just can't remember a time I've seen such an obvious example in politics. Even GW knew enough to demand a dress code and minimum level of decorum.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie, Maddow has been covering this for so long and so often that I thought nothing would become of it with all the other stuff going on. And to my shame, I was actually getting a bit tired of all the coverage she gave it despite other issues.

But I am glad it's getting the proper investigation it deserves. Any shit Maddow gets from that silly tax thing is 100% forgiven. She, and the investigators, do good work.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Should we talk about this here? Via the New York AG:
    #BREAKING: We’ve secured a stipulation requiring the Trump Foundation to dissolve under judicial supervision, with our review of recipient charities. The Foundation functioned as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump’s interests. Our lawsuit remains ongoing.
    The funds remaining in the Foundation have to be distributed and can only be done so to entities that the NYAG approves of. This is a fucking colossal hit against Trump.

Edit - Oh right there's a thread for the Trump Foundation. Man I don't know guys we have too many of these fucking things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    How much money did the Trump foundation have on hand?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I did a quick google and couldn’t find anything with total assets.

I did find a couple of specifics though that can paint a bit of a picture; WWE by itself donated at least ten million dollars over the course of a few years. Trump’s Maralago parties could pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a couple million of dollars. Trump has bragged that his foundation gave over 102 million dollars (take that with double the lethal dose of salt). And very, very few of his supposed donations could be verified and that those that were verifiable were exaggerated by the Trump Foundation, like a nickel on the dollar at best.

I couldn’t find anything specific, but I’d guess they had hundreds of millions in assets that Trump and his kids used as a private slush fund.

So ya, a major kick in their collective dicks.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Good
    Goooooood

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I did a quick google and couldn’t find anything with total assets.

I did find a couple of specifics though that can paint a bit of a picture; WWE by itself donated at least ten million dollars over the course of a few years. Trump’s Maralago parties could pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a couple million of dollars. Trump has bragged that his foundation gave over 102 million dollars (take that with double the lethal dose of salt). And very, very few of his supposed donations could be verified and that those that were verifiable were exaggerated by the Trump Foundation, like a nickel on the dollar at best.

I couldn’t find anything specific, but I’d guess they had hundreds of millions in assets that Trump and his kids used as a private slush fund.

Well, now we know how he selected at least one member of his cabinet.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He would have had Vince run a department as well if someone hadn’t locked him in a car and blown it up

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He would have had Vince run a department as well if someone hadn’t locked him in a car and blown it up

Oh! COLLUSION!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Secretary of the Interior Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Ambassador to Saudi Arabia - Bonesaw

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

At least there's one person ready for the job.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

r4iyad4c8nbs.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Trump really does work with the cream of the crop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Only the best people, man. Only the best people.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We're on page two and people have run out of on topic things to say already?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the emoluments case moves on:

Mark your calendars: The 4th Circuit has scheduled arguments in the emoluments clause case against Trump re: his interest in his DC hotel for the week of March 19.

Zoe Tillman is a reporter for BuzzFeed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That needs a separate thread, which I thought we had, but if not go ahead and make one.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    That needs a separate thread, which I thought we had, but if not go ahead and make one.

Why do you keep hitting yourself, SiG??!? :D

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Guess who's getting subpoenaed.
    Federal prosecutors in New York have subpoenaed the Trump inaugural committee for documents related to donors, vendors and finances, according to a source familiar with the outreach.

The wide-ranging subpoena from the Southern District of New York, reviewed by CNN, shows a request for documents related to donors and benefits offered in return. It asks for donations made by, and on behalf of, foreign nationals and communications related to the possibility of foreign nationals donations.

The subpoena also seeks committee memos and information regarding restrictions on donations "including but not limited to prohibitions on donations by foreign nationals or donations on behalf of a third party."

Federal prosecutors also want information about donations made directly to vendors and communications discussing that possibility.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/politics/sdny-subpoena-trump-inauguration-committee/index.html

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mmm. That is a delightful smell of schadenfreude.

Because you know that was handily the most corrupt inauguration in history, and that subpoena is demanding basically everything... which also makdse wonder what SDNY already has.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is this one of those times a prosecutor asks for something specific ("donations made by, and on behalf of, foreign nationals and communications related to the possibility of foreign nationals donations") because they already have proof of it and are seeing how it is responded to?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I would imagine so. Gates was on this committee and Gates has been cooperating.

Kyle Griffin of MSNBC: According to WaPo, the subpoena for Trump's inaugural committee indicates that prosecutors are investigating crimes related to conspiracy to defraud the United States, mail fraud, false statements, wire fraud, and money laundering.

Oh yes. That is a good list of things.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Kyle Griffin of MSNBC: According to WaPo, the subpoena for Trump's inaugural committee indicates that prosecutors are investigating crimes related to conspiracy to defraud the United States, mail fraud, false statements, wire fraud, and money laundering.

I mean they did use the Inauguration to launder a shit-ton of pay-to-play foreign money.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I mean they did use the Inauguration to launder a shit-ton of pay-to-play foreign money.

It isn't really money laundering when the money is still dirty and the origins still pretty easily discoverable.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

It isn't really money laundering when the money is still dirty and the origins still pretty easily discoverable.
    Sorry, so crimes aren't crimes if they are done poorly? I don't follow the point you are making.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

Sorry, so crimes aren't crimes if they are done poorly? I don't follow the point you are making.

Sounds to me like the point was that the laundering did not effectively hide the money. Not that the attempt to hide it was not illegal.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It is more just illegally accepting foreign money and not even going through the work of properly laundering the money for at least maximum plausible deniability.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

It is more just illegally accepting foreign money and not even going through the work of properly laundering the money for at least maximum plausible deniability.

Somehow, to me, the fact that they’re almost to a one so incredibly bad at this makes it all the more infuriating that they’ve been doing it for decades without the slightest fear that there would be repercussions.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Isn’t Ivanka heavily tied to this?

If so, hopefully she goes down with this ship.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Let's not forget in December Sarah Sander's quote on this

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/14/sarah-sanders-trump-inauguration-spending-1064503
    "That doesn't have anything to do with the president or the first lady," Sanders told reporters Thursday evening outside the White House regarding the investigation. "The biggest thing the president did, his engagement in the inauguration, was to come here and raise his hand and take the oath of office. The president was focused on the transition during that time and not on any of the planning for the inauguration."

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/14/sarah-sanders-trump-inauguration-spending-1064503
    "That doesn't have anything to do with the president or the first lady," Sanders told reporters Thursday evening outside the White House regarding the investigation. "The biggest thing the president did, his engagement in the inauguration, was to come here and raise his hand and take the oath of office. The president was focused on the transition during that time and not on any of the planning for the inauguration."

So, Trump didn't order his inauguration to be riddled with corruption, he had no idea that everyone he hired to handle it was grifting on his behalf?

The best people!?

Did I do it right?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever asked sanders what the president actually does?

I've only ever heard her say that he doesn't really know this person or wasn't involved in that or etc. etc.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

So, Trump didn't order his inauguration to be riddled with corruption, he had no idea that everyone he hired to handle it was grifting on his behalf?

The best people!?

Did I do it right?

Including his entire family.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2019

The best people!?

Did I do it right?

Including his entire family.

But for real, Ivanka was all over the inauguration, right? Does this potentially put her in the room on criminal activities?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Has anyone ever asked sanders what the president actually does?

I've only ever heard her say that he doesn't really know this person or wasn't involved in that or etc. etc.

he gets coffee, mostly

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Translation: a ton of illegal shit went down, Trump was fake-hair deep in all of it, it's all on paper, oh my god they are coming for us, gotta distance Trump from this and hope he doesn't go down for it

shryke on