As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Manafort "Sentenced"

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's a likely single-sourced Mueller nugget buried in this Vanity Fair article about the shutdown
    The shutdown has pushed the Russia investigation out of the news cycle. But Trumpworld knows it hasn’t gone away. Rudy Giuliani recently told a friend that he expects Mueller’s report to be “horrific,” a person briefed on the conversation said (Giuliani did not respond to a request for comment). “You’re already hearing people speculate Trump could do a deal and resign.”

While I'm very doubtful of a resignation, I'll take it as a hopeful sign if Mueller has that level of ammo.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Look, I know this is NOT what is going to happen, but if something crazy goes down and both Trump and Pence leave, would that make Pelosi president?

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Look, I know this is NOT what is going to happen, but if something crazy goes down and both Trump and Pence leave, would that make Pelosi president?

Yeah, Speaker of the House comes after VP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Only if the Vice Presidency remains vacant. More likely would be another President Ford, who never received a vote at the top of the ticket to attain that office.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pence seems unusually insulated from the Russia stuff

He's terrifying too

I lose sleep over the possibility of President Pence

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Is Pence like the Feyd Rautha to Trump's Beast Rabban?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    moniker wrote: »

Only if the Vice Presidency remains vacant. More likely would be another President Ford, who never received a vote at the top of the ticket to attain that office.

What would happen in this case is something along the lines of Trump resigns -> Pence becomes president -> Pence appoints someone else as VP -> Pence resigns - that someone else becomes president.

Even if Trump resigns, which will never happen, there is no possible universe in which Pelosi becomes president.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

He's terrifying too

wasn't he in charge of the transition committee?

I think he's just smart enough to keep his mouth shut, unlike most of the other dumdums in play. And Mueller isn't going to leak anything.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

He's terrifying too

I think he's just smart enough to keep his mouth shut, unlike most of the other dumdums in play. And Mueller isn't going to leak anything.

He is literally the man that went over Obama's advice and hired Flynn.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

He's terrifying too

He is literally the man that went over Obama's advice and hired Flynn.

He was also the choice of Manafort, when Trump wanted Christie

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

What would happen in this case is something along the lines of Trump resigns -> Pence becomes president -> Pence appoints someone else as VP -> Pence resigns - that someone else becomes president.

Even if Trump resigns, which will never happen, there is no possible universe in which Pelosi becomes president.

There's a universe where it happens, but it's not this one.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

More of a Dolores Umbridge

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

VP appointments have to be confirmed by both the House and Senate. You think the House would let them appoint whoever the fuck they want if both he and Pence are indicted?

I COULD see Pelosi resigning speaker for a week to put someone else in charge though, to maintain at least some air of propriety.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Barr has said some crazy witch huntery things about the investigation before and senator Klobuchar tweeted out that he told her and Blumenthal that he won’t be able to meet with them as members of the Judiciary Committee until after his confirmation hearing.

Why? Because if the shutdown he says.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh yea also this from Walter Shaub the former director of the office of government ethics.

Why hasn’t the Trump administration released the nominee financial disclosure report and ethics agreement of William Barr, whose hearing is scheduled for next week? If it’s not complete, how can they have a hearing?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

More of a Dolores Umbridge

I am not aware of Dolores Umbridge having any relation to House Harkonnen.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

VP appointments have to be confirmed by both the House and Senate. You think the House would let them appoint whoever the fuck they want if both he and Pence are indicted?

I COULD see Pelosi resigning speaker for a week to put someone else in charge though, to maintain at least some air of propriety.

*Acting* VP, you see.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

It's not a bad metaphor. Rabban was brutal and inept, Feyd was to be welcomed as the savior of the Arrakeen people, but was secretly groomed to be an even more terrifying ruler.

Trump and Pence are not that different, but one knows how to do the job while the other flails and rages and yells at clouds.

Hevach on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This may have been discussed but apparently the WH has rounded up some new lawyers, is gearing up for a legal fight and their strategy is gonna be to incite Executive Privilege to keep parts of the Meuller report confidential and out of public view. Heres the WaPo article.
    A beefed-up White House legal team is gearing up to prevent President Trump’s confidential discussions with top advisers from being disclosed to House Democratic investigators and revealed in the special counsel’s long-awaited report, setting the stage for a potential clash between the branches of government.

The strategy to strongly assert the president’s executive privilege on both fronts is being developed under newly arrived White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, who has hired 17 lawyers in recent weeks to help in the effort.

He is coordinating with White House lawyer Emmet Flood, who is leading the response to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report on his now-20-month-long investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign. Flood is based in White House Counsel’s Office but reports directly to Trump.

That article also mentions people seem to be under the impression that Meuller's report is incoming. Possibly even sometime next month which doesn't seem super likely.

Here is Neal Katyal's answer to whether or not that strategy would work. (Neal Katyal being a law professor, supreme court lawyer and former Acting Solicitor General of the United States. Also an "extremist centrist" whatever that is.)

The long and short of that thread being there are guidelines within the rules of the capacity of Special Counsel that basically plan for an eventuality that somebody (Whittaker or incoming Barr) may try to suppress a report so the report will be made public to Congress. Kind of a Dead Man's Switch. Also he's of the opinion that Trump's gambit of declaring he can't be indicted opens him up for impeachment proceedings and upends his claims of Executive Privelege.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Executive privilege for things that happened during the election.

Again.

Man, fuck these people.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I love this analogy.

Only issue is that Pence would have to be Sting and, well, yeah...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Executive privilege for things that happened during the election.

Again.

Man, fuck these people.

To these people the president is the king, with royal privilege

When he's a republican, that is.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

He's terrifying too

The reality is likely stupider, Pence is so dense this is him being charasmatic and communicating.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pence is a greed is good, actually Christian Dominionist, who literally wants to bring about the end of the world, and he's a vicious bigot who put gay kids in camps

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What I believe is that Trump broke the law and is absolutely willing to break more laws to try to hide or obfuscate that fact and anything he did or said surrounding his lawbreaking.

The only question is whether or not his lawyers are willing to participate in that lawbreaking or at least guiding him across his own lawbreaking. In any other reality, I would say “hell no, never” but unfortunately we’re in this reality.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how many lawyers are of the 'it's not breaking the law unless you get caught doing it' school.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I wonder how many lawyers are of the 'it's not breaking the law unless you get caught doing it' school.

I suspect very few. I remember so many stories about how lawyers would outright refuse to work with Trump, or would get paid up-front. While he definitely has his loyal followers (that quote about electing him to hurt people will never leave my mind), the pool of lawyers willing to help him out is likely small, given how much damage it could potentially do to their reputation. Then again, maybe they are getting paid a ton of money and exposure, and figure that's worth it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Even if you were, so many of Trump’s lawyers have already been caught that it would be really stupid to think you’ll be the one to actually get away with it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

If Pence takes over the Presidency, that would technically leave the VPOTUS seat vacant. Once Pence nominates someone, wouldn't the 25th dictate that they be confirmed by both houses?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Edit: off topic!

spool32 on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

He's terrifying too

The reality is likely stupider, Pence is so dense this is him being charasmatic and communicating.

He's been smart enough to keep his mouth firmly shut though. By current standards that makes him a political genius.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

He's terrifying too

He's been smart enough to keep his mouth firmly shut though. By current standards that makes him a political genius.

When the bar is set so low, it's not hard to shine, ironically by virtue of being invisible.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing about pence is that he really hasn't had much reason to not go full red october; the office of VP traditionally has almost no power and this is magnified by the fact that trump is capricious, petty an reactive so even in the traditional roll of policy spokesmen he can't credibly act.

Further, he's going to want to stay as quiet as possible if there is so much as a hint of his involvement in trump's smorgasbord of treason.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pence is the VP and linked to the investigation and campaign but this thread isn't really for dissecting his character, so try and keep discussion of him related to the investigation, please.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I'm so confused. I thought Manafort owed some guy money and was using the polling data also as a way to pay off his debt?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/politics/manafort-ukrainian-oligarchs/index.html
    "Manafort intended for polling data to go to 2 Ukrainian oligarchs who owed him millions"

Like all the other articles a few days ago said Manafort owed Oleg money.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    I'm so confused. I thought Manafort owed some guy money and was using the polling data also as a way to pay off his debt?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/politics/manafort-ukrainian-oligarchs/index.html
    "Manafort intended for polling data to go to 2 Ukrainian oligarchs who owed him millions"

Like all the other articles a few days ago said Manafort owed Oleg money.

The email sounded like the lobbying firm was owed the money, Oleg claims Manafort personally still owes him 20 million.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oleg-deripaska-sues-paul-manafort-rick-gates-using-mueller-indictment-2018-1

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Not many that want to get in front of the klieg lights of Mueller's investigation.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/politics/michael-cohen-testify-trump-congress.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
    WASHINGTON — Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former personal lawyer who implicated him in a scheme to pay hush money to two women claiming to have had affairs with him, has agreed to testify before the House Oversight Committee next month and give “a full and credible account” of his work for Mr. Trump.

Mr. Cohen’s decision to appear before the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Feb. 7 sets the stage for a blockbuster public hearing that threatens to further damage the president’s image and could clarify the depth of his legal woes. Mr. Cohen, a consigliere to Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer and presidential candidate as well as informally as president, was privy to the machinations of Mr. Trump’s inner circle and key moments under scrutiny by both the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and federal prosecutors in New York.

He could soon share them on national television under oath.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

CNN reporter.

This is gonna be real fun to see.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh boy. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I wonder what fluff or "this is on you and only you" questions the Republicans are going to throw in to try and distract from the extremely damaging stuff that's going to come out.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.