As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Manafort "Sentenced"

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    If they have American assets the court can lay hands on those.

Yes, this is a thing, but can be an extremely complicated thing to untangle and would probably not warrant the effort as long as we're talking about thousands and not millions of dollars.

I guess that depends on how long they don't turn over info for. Long enough and it could start looking worthwhile.

This is, of course, assuming that they're unwilling to pay. The fact that they are working within the US system to appeal (albeit with apparently trollish US lawyers?) suggests that they have enough investment in the American market that they're trying to normalize things and continue doing business however they have in the past. It may not end up being an issue at all.

You're mixing up the 6000 court cases, the Troll lawyers are representing the russian troll farm (fitting); we don't know much of anything about the company refusing to cooperate.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Politico reporter:

Well things are getting interesting over here now again.

Quick edit: oh and the judge is a trump appointee, FYI.

My guess is they are dicking her around because it's Russia and that's what they do. And no judge, regardless of political affiliation, likes that shit.

Marshall Cohen is a CNN reporter

Yeah, that would piss off pretty much any judge.

Follow-up:

Lawyers for one of the Russian companies charged over election meddling continue to file peevish things in court, this time about how unhappy the judge seemed to be about previous peevish filings ->

Brad Heath is a reporter for USA Today.

You know, there's stupid.

And then there's this.

Get the popcorn, the fallout from this is going to be amazing.

I believe that right after what’s posted here, they go on to complain about Rachel Maddow doing a segment about their childish filings.

Yes, yes they did.

They also basically concede the point as well.

It is the world's most whiny Parthian shot.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »

Yes, this is a thing, but can be an extremely complicated thing to untangle and would probably not warrant the effort as long as we're talking about thousands and not millions of dollars.

I guess that depends on how long they don't turn over info for. Long enough and it could start looking worthwhile.

This is, of course, assuming that they're unwilling to pay. The fact that they are working within the US system to appeal (albeit with apparently trollish US lawyers?) suggests that they have enough investment in the American market that they're trying to normalize things and continue doing business however they have in the past. It may not end up being an issue at all.

You're mixing up the 6000 court cases, the Troll lawyers are representing the russian troll farm (fitting); we don't know much of anything about the company refusing to cooperate.

I was JUST about to post that same thing. I conflated the two cases.

The Russian troll farm is indeed represented by a US troll lawyer that is based in Washington DC.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Did they really have to include the stupid Trump-ian shot of "Rachel Maddow, who we've never heard of."

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Of course they did

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Maddow also spent maybe about 5 minutes of her show on these clowns, mostly just laughing at how dumb they are and giving a rundown of the judge ripping them apart.

She also drew attention to the fact that they are being used as a tool of Russian intelligence.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

And isn't the fine 50K a day? So 1.5 Million a month, 18 Million a year. On the one hand this is enough to fund the Mueller investigation perpetually. On the other, for a large enough company, that's less than the catering budget.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Rchanen wrote: »

And isn't the fine 50K a day? So 1.5 Million a month, 18 Million a year. On the one hand this is enough to fund the Mueller investigation perpetually. On the other, for a large enough company, that's less than the catering budget.

No, I don't think so. Last I saw it was $5,000 a week, so $250k per year.

Got this wrong too apparently!

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Did they really just turn an internet troll saying "die in a fire" into two sentences of legalese?

I mean, of course they did. I should sue for the time it took me to read and parse that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

CNN has it as 50K a day.

As does CNBC

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Did they really just turn an internet troll saying "die in a fire" into two sentences of legalese?

I mean, of course they did. I should sue for the time it took me to read and parse that.

It is truly Cotton's Bold Legal Strategy.

Let's see if it pays off.

• Options
    edited January 2019

CNN has it as 50K a day.

As does CNBC

Huh, maybe it increased? I'm certain I had read $5k weekly at some point.

Edit: Okay I'm not crazy. This MSN article stated $5k weekly. That was on December 21 though.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

CNN has it as 50K a day.

As does CNBC

But the New York Times had it at 5K per week.

But Vox has it at 50K per day.

Son of a....

Can I get a straight answer on the per diem here?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ can we slow down I can't keep up with this TRAIN OF JUSTICE careening down the TRACKS OF COLLUSION

I barely have the energy to realize that SCOTUS ruling was a very good thing

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Did they really have to include the stupid Trump-ian shot of "Rachel Maddow, who we've never heard of."

Also calling her journalism a "variety show", because we really need more misogyny

• Options
    edited January 2019

CNN has it as 50K a day.

As does CNBC

But the New York Times had it at 5K per week.

But Vox has it at 50K per day.

Son of a....

Can I get a straight answer on the per diem here?

Ugh, still writing this post, standby

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

CNN has it as 50K a day.

As does CNBC

Huh, maybe it increased? I'm certain I had read $5k weekly at some point.
    That article says it was originally 5k back in mid August.

I thought I'd read that it increased daily, but that the clock had been stopped while under appeal. Plausibly there were 45 days between the original contempt ruling and the Oct 10 appeal?

I will try to run down that increase later; I thought it was in that recent public filing (with no amount specified) that called out 'The Company' and 'Country' by 'Name
    '

Edit: Nevermind. Appeals court states plainly where it was set
    Per Curiam Order, In re Grand Jury Subpoena, No. 18-3068 (October 3, 2018). The district court then held the Corporation in contempt, imposing a fine of $50,000 per day until the Corporation complies with the subpoena, but stayed accrual [pending appeal]

Must have misunderstood a reference to the fine being assessed every day as it compounding.

pdf:
    https://t.co/CRVNi6PmV6?amp=1

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I can't spend any more time on it this afternoon but here's what I think happened.

On December 18 the appeals court published their ruling, affirming the ruling of the lower court and stating that yeah, Mystery Company has to comply with the subpoena. In their opinion, the court disagreed with the Company's assertion that they couldn't be fined, and they cited another case where a company found in contempt was fined $5,000 a day. Whether such a thing could be done in this case was left as "a question for a later day".

So I think the initial reporting of the $5k a week might have been a misunderstanding of this part of the order. In essence, the appeals court was just saying, "Yeah, it's been done before for this much."

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Jesus Christ can we slow down I can't keep up with this TRAIN OF JUSTICE careening down the TRACKS OF COLLUSION

I barely have the energy to realize that SCOTUS ruling was a very good thing

The timing of this with the person posting posting just yesterday that Russian interference in the election wasn't an issue is kinda hilarious.

Every leak out of this investigation isn't even ambiguous or coy. It's like "HOLY SHIT JUST LOOK AT ALL THIS COLLUSION!".

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Is that really where we’re at now?

“Racheal Maddow laughed at me,” wrt court cases involving defrauding the US?

C’mon man!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yes, this is where we are at now.
    God help us all.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Didn't Manafort get caught in part due to his lack of understanding of computer technology? I forgot what it was specifically, something about his emails and adobe documents or something.

Anyway none of this surprises me.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Is that really where we’re at now?

“Racheal Maddow laughed at me,” wrt court cases involving defrauding the US?

C’mon man!

We are in late-80s movie/early-90s music/late-90s videogame lawsuit territory regarding serious matters of national security and constitutional law.

This is reality now, Dormammu.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Didn't Manafort get caught in part due to his lack of understanding of computer technology? I forgot what it was specifically, something about his emails and adobe documents or something.

They used whatsapp for encrypted communications... then saved the logs in plain text to their icloud

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Henroid wrote: »

Bond007

Also sending incriminating documents around asking for help with them because he can’t edit .pdfs

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Remember, that's the country that deployed nerve agents in British residential neighborhoods and spent awhile joking about it on state media. Their government's been in cartoon-villain territory for awhile.

I also don't think they're that afraid of the Americans, given they got a secretary of state instafired for criticising them during that fiasco.
    Taramoor wrote: »

Trump and Russia are the same. They are fully cooperating, fully on the same page, and absolutely agree on most things.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Trump and Russia are the same. They are fully cooperating, fully on the same page, and absolutely agree on most things.

Eh, Trump and Russia might be on the same page, but Trump is just looking at the pictures, whereas Russia is busy highlighting and underlining key sections in the fine print.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Eh, Trump and Russia might be on the same page, but Trump is just looking at the pictures, whereas Russia is busy highlighting and underlining key sections in the fine print.

I'm just saying, he's 100% on team Russia, with the limited mental capacity he has. He cares not one bit about the US

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Politico reporter:

My guess is they are dicking her around because it's Russia and that's what they do. And no judge, regardless of political affiliation, likes that shit.

Follow-up:

Lawyers for one of the Russian companies charged over election meddling continue to file peevish things in court, this time about how unhappy the judge seemed to be about previous peevish filings ->

And then there's this.

To be clear: Are these US-based lawyers who work for a US-based law firm?

And, in doing this, are they risking/openly-inviting censure from their applicable bar association?

Someone has to graduate at the bottom of every class.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Politico reporter:

Follow-up:

And then there's this.

To be clear: Are these US-based lawyers who work for a US-based law firm?

And, in doing this, are they risking/openly-inviting censure from their applicable bar association?

Someone has to graduate at the bottom of every class.

Michael Cohen attended the lowest ranked law school in the country.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    More details on Manafort's dealings:
    Both Mr. Manafort and Rick Gates, the deputy campaign manager, transferred the data to Mr. Kilimnik in the spring of 2016 as Mr. Trump clinched the Republican presidential nomination, according to a person knowledgeable about the situation. Most of the data was public, but some of it was developed by a private polling firm working for the campaign, according to the person.

Mr. Manafort asked that Mr. Kilimnik pass the data to Oleg V. Deripaska, a Russian oligarch who is close to the Kremlin and who has claimed that Mr. Manafort owed him money from a failed business venture, the person said. It is unclear whether Mr. Manafort was acting at the campaign’s behest or independently, trying to gain favor with someone to whom he was deeply in debt.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Manafort's lawyer filed a document today, redacted of course.

Or was it...

Mike Scarcella is an editor for lawdotcom

All the redactions can be copy-pasted to magically unredact them!

Honestly, the sheer amount of ineptitude on display here is insulting.

I probably shouldn't complain too much because it's the only thing that's kept these dipshits from taking over the world but I mean. Come on.

Come on.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Preacher wrote: »
    SCOTUS rejected the mystery company's stay request:

Lawdog who works for Yahoo News sometimes.

Ok like I think I understand this, but help me out here, is this a good or bad thing?

Good thing.

Mystery foreign company has been ordered to pay a fine until they comply with Mueller's request for information, company appealed the fine, this is the Supreme Court saying "You have to pay the fine."

One can't help but wonder if the court got to see some of the same shit that caused Flynn's judge to have a sudden change of heart.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Both Mr. Manafort and Rick Gates, the deputy campaign manager, transferred the data to Mr. Kilimnik in the spring of 2016 as Mr. Trump clinched the Republican presidential nomination, according to a person knowledgeable about the situation. Most of the data was public, but some of it was developed by a private polling firm working for the campaign, according to the person.

Mr. Manafort asked that Mr. Kilimnik pass the data to Oleg V. Deripaska, a Russian oligarch who is close to the Kremlin and who has claimed that Mr. Manafort owed him money from a failed business venture, the person said. It is unclear whether Mr. Manafort was acting at the campaign’s behest or independently, trying to gain favor with someone to whom he was deeply in debt.

So which private polling firm is it

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Manafort's lawyer filed a document today, redacted of course.

Or was it...

Mike Scarcella is an editor for lawdotcom

All the redactions can be copy-pasted to magically unredact them!

I have no sympathy, but I have seen this happen so many times from so many different companies. The company I used to work for got bit by this as well. I understand that it's because the user did not know how to redact properly, but in the scale that this happens, I'm more inclined to believe this is a massive UI problem that Adobe has. Functions should work exactly how you expect, and if I'm covering text with something, I expect it to be deleted underneath. I can't think of a single reason when this isn't the case. Here's an idea. How about when you try and cover text with a non-transparent object, Adobe should immediately pop up a warning:

"Are you trying to redact data? Please go here"

However, I think the biggest argument that this a screw up on Adobe's part is below...

CzNVDkb.png

== EDIT ==
    Wrong tool. Even *I* screwed it up!

==Ninja Edit==
    "Box Text Select -> Set foreground/background color to black" is just as evil. That says something that you have multiple ways to screw it up.

halkun on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

So which private polling firm is it

Totally not the one that locked their doors and frantically disposed of boxes and boxes of documents for 24 hours straight the second they thought they were going to investigated. Surely not.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The real right move is to rasterize the page, delete the pixels where the words you want to redact were, then fill it in with black. If you want to be nice you can run OCR on the now-redacted document to reduce file size and make it searchable... but so long as you are just putting a mask over it, you can unmask it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The problem is trying to redact a PDF.

They're nominally editable, but in practice...yeah, not really.

And simply blacking out part of the text leaks information since you know the length of the text and can potentially back into the exact text if it's not a fixed width font. Ideally you'd just replace whatever it is with <REDACTED> or something.

I'm sure Mueller is compartmentalizing the various cases to the degree possible, but I hope this sort of garden variety stupidity doesn't fuck things up.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    The problem with rasterizing the page is you lose all your text and it kills document search. On the other hand, the document may also also have OCR metatext and equally will bone you. I think that a "clippy" answer is the best. If you are making the text and background black or putting an opaque object over a text object, then a "WTF are you doing" dialog would be enough.

I just realized that it's also most likely they are doing the redaction in Word and exporting to PDF. Then I have no help, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm sure that the legal industry has tools and software purpose built to redact and distribute documents securely.

I'm also sure that Manafort's team is too cheap to buy them, and too incompetent to learn how to use them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.