As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

John Wick Chucks An Assault Rifle At A Dude in the [movies] Thread

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @tynic

The secret is I want to be Cate Blanchett and fuck Cate Blanchett

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Helps that I spent the whole film unsure if I want to fuck Cate blanchett or be Cate blanchett

God if this isn't just an eternal mood these days

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Here’s the most shocking thing about Aquaman
    Willem Dafoe? More like Willem Dafriend!

He spends the entire movie as one of Arthur’s most trusted allies and never wavers, there is no third act betrayal, he’s just an old friend and mentor played by one of the best villainous actors ever

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just watched Assassination Nation.

That movie goes into my top ten for 2018.

It is legit the scariest fucking movie I've seen all year.

The first half especially is terrifying in a VERY real way.

edited December 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Willem Dafoe? More like Willem Dafriend!

He spends the entire movie as one of Arthur’s most trusted allies and never wavers, there is no third act betrayal, he’s just an old friend and mentor played by one of the best villainous actors ever

This is an Elliot-Kalan-ass joke

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hey while that spoiler is a welcome surprise, it’s a spoiler nonetheless.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

snip

spoiler tag that shit dude...

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Okay

This is genuinely not me trying to play devils advocate, and since someone asked it should be spoilered as thats the best general rule

But is "This thing does not happen" a spoiler?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Okay

This is genuinely not me trying to play devils advocate, and since someone asked it should be spoilered as thats the best general rule

The movie just came out. "Hey I didn't expect this but a thing didn't happen" is confirming that the opposite happens. Just put it behind spoiler tags.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I mean I'll do it, but it's not a thing that's even pushed in the movie a little bit

The only way you could expect it is outside bias, it's never in question

6F32U1X.png

That kind of feels like saying "This actor plays against type" is a spoiler?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Okay

Of course it is? Knowing what won't happen still informs your understanding of the plot as it unfolds. Like spoilers shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp, my dude. Extraneous information about the story you are going to experience changes how you experience the story in real time! It's that simple.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

I mean, it kind of is?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    @tynic

The secret is I want to be Cate Blanchett and fuck Cate Blanchett

You can’t do both!

Or either.

Okay

Of course it is? Knowing what won't happen still informs your understanding of the plot as it unfolds. Like spoilers shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp, my dude. Extraneous information about the story you are going to experience changes how you experience the story in real time! It's that simple.

I should probably just accept this is something I'm never going to understand and stop asking when it comes up

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I mean, it kind of is?

The general rule is if you even have a moments question, why not tag it? In this case I get the argument that it would be because
    when Defoe shows up on screen you expect a bad guy, it is almost a gag in and of itself to cast him this way

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    Let’s say the “something that doesn’t happen” comment is “at least the hero doesn’t die at the end” or “they don’t even get married!”

That’s just another plot point. The absence of something is something in and of itself in terms of narrative.

I find it hard to understand why that would be hard to understand.

For movies that just released, I usually try to stick to saying if it’s good or bad outside spoilers, then spoilering ANYTHING plot related. Best not to risk ruining a moment for someone.

Drez wrote: »
    Let’s say the “something that doesn’t happen” comment is “at least the hero doesn’t die at the end” or “they don’t even get married!”

That’s just another plot point. The absence of something is something in and of itself in terms of narrative.

I find it hard to understand why that would be hard to understand.

Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure I'm the broken one here

I don't understand why that would affect your enjoyment or involvement in the story, and people have tried to explain it to me over and over and I just don't get it

My brains just not built that way so I should probably give up on trying to understand the specifics

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'd liken it to like, a fan theory

Like, if after watching a trailer for a movie, everyone here was talking about something that we thought was being alluded to in that trailer, something that seemed like a genuine possibility to us

If that then didn't happen, is it a spoiler to say so? It was all based on conjecture, there was no true reason to expect it, but if you believed in that conjecture as a foregone conclusion, it ends up feeling like a twist

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    "Dracula is not in the movie Frankenstein" better not be a spoiler going forward

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like Willem Dafoe best when he's playing good hearted dudes

One of the things about spoilers, is when you're going into a movie you can't necessarily know what information does or doesn't affect the plot and that's an important detail in and of itself. I don't want to be robbed of that tabula rasa--not knowing what elements of the movie matter is part of the fun of seeing a movie. Whether you go in trying to puzzle out what's going to happen (in which case false leads are an important aspect of the "game") or you want to just get absorbed in the experience (in which case outside information engages your critical thinking and makes it harder to just lose yourself in what's unfolding), the less concrete information I have about it, the better.

Like that's the fundamental thing that spoiler arguments keep skimming past I feel--regardless of how you, personally view a particular piece of information relative to the film, you are robbing others of dictating their own level of engagement.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    "Dracula is not in the movie Frankenstein" better not be a spoiler going forward

Well exactly

This isn't a spoiler

Unless we're talking about the Dark Universe

Unless there are significant shots of bats flying in front of a spooky castle in the trailer

Also

I nominate Assassination Nation for best ending line in a movie ever.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Also

Even over Teen Titans Go! To The Movies?

edited December 2018
    My thoughts on "Dracula is not in the movie Frankenstein" is that if that possibility was never in question in the first place it would be unreasonable for anyone to get upset about that statement, however on the whole I'd still prefer not to know because now I've been presented with the possibility of a surprise Dracula cameo in the movie and then had it taken from me. I'll spend the whole movie pining for a crossover that will not happen

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

Also

Even over Teen Titans Go! To The Movies?

You have to watch Assassination Nation to understand but the last line is literally perfection.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I kind of secretly hope Dracula will turn up in.... every movie I watch

I'm internally debating whether or not Assassination Nation was the best movie I've seen in 2018.

I'm having a hard time putting anything over it.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think Life Aquatic is my favorite Goldblum

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I'd say that in many cases it is a spoiler to simply say that an actor plays against type. Or something like "Sean Bean lives through this one!". Some actors have well-earned reputations and saying that the expected doesn't happen is just as much a spoiler as talking about something that does happen in the film.

Oh... My fault.

We're doing our weekly, "What's a spoiler" debate.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    oh yeah it has been about enough time for people to get caught up and see assination nation

6vjsgrerts6r.png

it owns

6vjsgrerts6r.png

it owns

So

Fucking

Good

More like ass assination nation

...I haven't seen the movie but I've been sitting on that one since grade school

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Well... @Rorshach Kringle did just call it

"Assination Nation"

alright dude you can pump the brakes now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    why did they not just call it assassiNation, which is edgy and appeals to teens

This discussion has been closed.