As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    So, as my ongoing quest to move into hardcore datascience, it would obviously be very good to get proficient in Python. I've gotten pretty far in Learn Python the Hard Way, but am running up against the boredom cliff. Does anyone know any Python learning resources they found really good, especially if it has kind of like structured projects to work on?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    So, as my ongoing quest to move into hardcore datascience, it would obviously be very good to get proficient in Python. I've gotten pretty far in Learn Python the Hard Way, but am running up against the boredom cliff. Does anyone know any Python learning resources they found really good, especially if it has kind of like structured projects to work on?

I'd check out Udemy, as they have a lot of good resources, and have regular sales.

Speaking of which, the DVP heading the division I'm in bought us a corporate Udemy contract. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Just got a ~15% pay raise out of the blue.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So I'm going to have to send out a reminder email for my staff to take their cybersecurity training.

Is there a website specifically designed to shame people who click on a misrouted link in a cybersecurity reminder email, or should I just rickroll them?

I’m not aware of one and a very cursory google search came up blank, so unless you want to create something real quick, I would absolutely rickroll them

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »

You might try some of the coding challenge sites, which are like gamified test problems for coders. I haven't used them for Python specifically, but I've wasted time improving my developer skills before on Hackerrank, and I think Topcoder has project-style problems.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It was my para's birthday today so I bought her a full pizza and we ate it. She was happy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Happy birthday, timspork's ghost's para!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hey some of us around the office have noticed one of your testicles hangs lower than the other. It's really upsetting some of our female employees, so I'll have to ask you to do something about it.

I’d like to invite you to submit a request for bofa, and this will be taken care of.

WHATS BOFA??

Breath of Fire: Advance

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Me: dear finance department i have no idea what i'm doing and i want to make sure i understand my duties and the budget

Them: sure we can setup a meeting, budget for the year is pretty much finalized and other person in your department does a great job organizing stuff

*meeting*

Me: There's almost $200k of expected expenses missing from the budget

Them: ...

THANKS OLD BOSS

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Update on that client on a mountain: they called later and asked when I would be there. I told them "Saturday between 12-2 as my boss discussed with you before."

"Can I just pay you under the table? I really need this done now."

It seems I might not be able to get out there Saturday either. Keep it up, let's see if we can get you into February!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    tfw a customer says "I appreciate you trying to explain all of this to me but I don't care" and then emails back later saying they still can't log into 2-factor.

Yeah? I bet you can't unlock your car keys either, buddy.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey some of us around the office have noticed one of your testicles hangs lower than the other. It's really upsetting some of our female employees, so I'll have to ask you to do something about it.

I’d like to invite you to submit a request for bofa, and this will be taken care of.

WHATS BOFA??

Breath of Fire: Advance

Now I want a new Breath of Fire game.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

WHATS BOFA??

I can explain it to you in a second, but first I would like to like to bring to your attention that one of your shoes seems to have untied laces.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Today I discovered that Old Owner had reset the access e-mail, passwords, and removed the buyers account of one of the wholesale vendors we use.

I discovered this by trying to log in to our account with all the various e-mails until I tried Old Owner's personal e-mail, which got me to a password screen instead of a register new account screen.

So, a short call to customer service later, and an audit on their account logs, resulted in his information being stripped, and our information getting set with a password reset sitting in my inbox. It's truly insane. We're all trying to figure out what kind of crazy pills Old Owner is taking, because it's getting comical now. The way we proved ownership of the account is two fold: I have access to all the e-mails with all the orders/invoices, and he left New Owner's payment information on the account.

At this point I'm laughing pretty hard. I can't even begin to comprehend the decision making that got Old Owner to the point where he literally stole the companies wholesale account. I reminded everyone he tried to do this with the webhost account, and there was a question raised: "Has he been struck in the head?"

That got a hearty chuckle.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    anon whatever happened with your company's website and that incompetent web designer?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So the plan for me at work is executing slower than desired due to like, half of our staff being out of the office each day due to being sick this week, but things are progressing.

It seems like the plan is to essentially keep me a secret, while I am trained up to be an account manager with a focus on retention, and once I have all of those elements down present me to the account management team as fully trained... and also as the lead of the account management team.

I'm not... super enthused with the secrecy if I am being frank, however, apparently there are some pretty big egos in the current account management team and the folks that run the office feel it will be easier to present them with a fait accompli then tell them in advance what the plan is.

I'm basically in a "look, if you'll advance me just say jump, and I'll jump" mode. I mostly just plan to keep my nose down, learn what I am being asked to learn as quickly as I can, and as thoroughly as I can, and see where I am where the dust settles.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    anon whatever happened with your company's website and that incompetent web designer?

We're on cloudflare to deal with the system resource issues, but that's about it. I was tasked with rebuilding, but I have no time to put into it, so nothing's happened!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hear Angelfire and Geocities hosting costs have gone way down.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I've been desperately unhappy at my current job, partly for job reasons, mostly for remote and isolated location reasons, and I ended up interviewing for one of the only positions I'd actively want at my former museum. And got it.

I'll be an apprentice! And honest to God apprentice. Something I've wanted for a very long time.

My new master called me back 10 minutes after my interview to offer me the position. He said, "You blew the interview out of the water, said all the right things. I'm not only hiring an apprentice, I was looking for somebody who can become the person who will take the shop into the future. That person is you."

Considering how horribly down on myself I've felt lately (even more than usual! like a lot more!), I was pretty stunned by those statements. And kind of had a nervous breakdown because I didn't know how to handle such high praise contrasted against how I've been feeling about myself.

But, yes, I'll be going back to my previous museum I worked at for a couple of years. And I still have tons of friends there. It feels a bit like going home.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I regret that I have but one awesome to give that post, facetious.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

We can count agreeing with yours as a doubler Jedoc.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Damn straight.

Being told you deserve the job is one thing. Being told, “You should be doing my job someday!” is quite another.

Congrats!

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Update on that client on a mountain: they called later and asked when I would be there. I told them "Saturday between 12-2 as my boss discussed with you before."

"Can I just pay you under the table? I really need this done now."

It seems I might not be able to get out there Saturday either. Keep it up, let's see if we can get you into February!

Accept his under the table offer

https://youtu.be/U0hTrnaa8aE

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The new HR manager suggested doing escape rooms as a team-building exercise and I said hell yes, then we excitedly talked escape rooms while two of the other managers just sat and stared at us

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Came into work today and still not fired. I'm kind of annoyed this is taking so long.

I don't know why but indeed is flooding me with FBI and police positions.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The new HR manager suggested doing escape rooms as a team-building exercise and I said hell yes, then we excitedly talked escape rooms while two of the other managers just sat and stared at us

Nerd

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So I'm going to have to send out a reminder email for my staff to take their cybersecurity training.

Is there a website specifically designed to shame people who click on a misrouted link in a cybersecurity reminder email, or should I just rickroll them?

I’m not aware of one and a very cursory google search came up blank, so unless you want to create something real quick, I would absolutely rickroll them

Have them call in to a teleconference to 760-706-7425.
    The number is registered to Nakatomi Corporation, and Never Gonna Give You Up starts when the connection goes through.
    It's a dummy number someone once set up to feed to marketing forms when you don't want to give out your real number.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

They're going to be dead weight, do not let them be on your team.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I remember my dad had set up some kind of frontend for DOS back in the day that let me boot straight into a bunch of games. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have played as many games as I did if it wasn't for that.

God, videogames today are so EASY to play, comparatively. I don't mean that in some snobby "Oh they were BETTER back then" way, just like, the act of actually playing a game is so much fucking simpler. I feel like if they ever made a 'PC Classic' (which... they would probably never make) they should include an 'oldschool' mode where you have to set up boot disks, deal with sound card conflicts, and so on. It would be tremendously stupid but...

I remember comparing work-around solutions and learning DOS commands from friends at school

I’m beginning to realize that I may have, in fact, been a nerd in elementary school.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I remember my dad had set up some kind of frontend for DOS back in the day that let me boot straight into a bunch of games. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have played as many games as I did if it wasn't for that.

God, videogames today are so EASY to play, comparatively. I don't mean that in some snobby "Oh they were BETTER back then" way, just like, the act of actually playing a game is so much fucking simpler. I feel like if they ever made a 'PC Classic' (which... they would probably never make) they should include an 'oldschool' mode where you have to set up boot disks, deal with sound card conflicts, and so on. It would be tremendously stupid but...

I think you can get close if you get heavily enough into modding Skyrim.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    There is no better feeling than realizing that you have an extra day to do something

Mmmm procrastination

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I don't get escape rooms. Trapped inside a room is where I want to be.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, but you'd have to pay 25-30 bucks an hour to stay trapped in there.

• Options
    Pft, I can do that at home for free. If I never leave the house they can't trap me in their expensive room.

• Options
    Oh man, I have no idea why but the last full shift I worked and the full shift I did today ended with asshats.

This time I had someone who said they were recording the call as well after I read the call recording disclosure and after I told them they do not have permission the person argued with me for a few and then said they were not recording. I then asked for the account number and the person got pissed off again because I didn't have the account up like it is somehow my fault and it was just so dumb. They kept saying I was having an attitude and not respecting them and how they want to speak to someone with customer service and then said they were in fact still recording the call and is going to put it on youtube.

Then they asked for a supervisor and like with every other person I have to tell them there is not one available (because our night coverage is garbage) and like so many others they said they will wait. Had to tell the person they will have to wait 24 to 48 hours. More anger. Never got the account number, no idea who I talked to. Transferred them to our customer service dept and that was the last call of the night.

While I know it is kind of messed up to feel some amount of pleasure at frustrating some of these people who are being so immensely rude by telling them they can't talk to a manager I do enjoy it sometimes.

Luckily I wont have to deal with this stuff much longer assuming it doesn't take them long to process my termination.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Wait, why can't they record the call?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Wait, why can't they record the call?

Yeah. "You must consent to us recording this call if you want to continue. Wait, you want to record the call too? Haha, no."

That's garbage. Not your fault, but garbage nonetheless.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Also the majority of states in the US only require one party consent.

TheStig on
  • Options
    I have no idea what the point of saying they don't have permission is, I just know every call center I've been at has instructed us to tell someone who says they are recording the call that they don't have permission.

It also gets odd with two party consent states. Apparently because we are based in a one party consent state we don't have to worry about two party consent states.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Either my supervisor is an idiot and asked someone to drive in morning rush hour to let a thirs person into our office (which was full of people)

Or someone is an idiot and is lying about said supervisor issuing that comma d

This discussion has been closed.