As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think my only hope at getting a job is to do call center work which I absolutely do not want to do. I'm gonna try and focus on work from home at least and absolutely will not do collections so that means customer service.

I really don't want to work at a call center anymore.

You're a totally solid writer. Maybe split the difference and look for an online chat support job? It'd be customer service but at least you wouldn't be on the phone.

As someone who works in customer care, chat support is definitely not a single role that someone would fill, but would be part of that role. We have chat support available for 2 of our 3 offices right now, and will have it available for our US office soon. So that means that we will have chat, phone, and email support when that is released. The bulk of our days are spent on email support tickets, because we do not make our phone number readily "available" unless a customer is at a certain subscription level, or they are savvy enough to simply Google the digits. If you can find something focused on email and chat, with intermittent calls, I would recommend looking for something like that. I am not someone who enjoys the phone part, but I am much more comfortable with it, especially since I am trying to assist someone, and there is an extremely limited volume of outbound support.

I don't know if this helps, but I feel for ya, I just happened to land a pretty sweet gig and I know that's rare.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Two girls just came in with a pass written by a nonexistent teacher. How did they think that was going to work? Completely made up name.

Was it Dale Snitterman?
    SNITTERMAN!!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Turning the people on each other is a classic dictatorship tactic for a reason: it works.

It's the thing my Co Manager does and is one of the things he is known for. The other is idle threats like yesterday was the 3rd time he has said I don't care if I have to fire everyone I want it done by 11 what you are assigned to do.

Yesterday I did not know I they got rid of a storage trailer that was pulled against the loading bay for years. So I assumed it had not arrived yet. I just told people to blitz out grocery when about 3ish? He causally tells me that the truck is here it is YOUR job to know of changes to your job. If that trailer is gone or still here. I just say nothing but a lot of people agreed even they did not notice it

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Two girls just came in with a pass written by a nonexistent teacher. How did they think that was going to work? Completely made up name.

Was it from Miss Zarves on the 19th floor?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mr Steck.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    So, I totally spaced on 1099s until two days ago

I got them into the mail, though! Phew!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Turning the people on each other is a classic dictatorship tactic for a reason: it works.

It's the thing my Co Manager does and is one of the things he is known for. The other is idle threats like yesterday was the 3rd time he has said I don't care if I have to fire everyone I want it done by 11 what you are assigned to do.

Ooh, the classic ‘I can’t be arsed to manage so I’ll make unenforceable threats and scare people into doing work they shouldn’t have to’ tactic.

Janson on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Job thread, I'm bad with little sleep.

Wrote two POs wrong (didn't send them, obviously), then wrote a bunch of poor instructions that went in the garbage.

Now I'm home and gonna nap. I used to be just fine with five hours, these days I'm a delirious mess. I think I'm gonna get an appointment with a sleep clinic like y'all talk about.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think my only hope at getting a job is to do call center work which I absolutely do not want to do. I'm gonna try and focus on work from home at least and absolutely will not do collections so that means customer service.

I really don't want to work at a call center anymore.

You're a totally solid writer. Maybe split the difference and look for an online chat support job? It'd be customer service but at least you wouldn't be on the phone.

As someone who works in customer care, chat support is definitely not a single role that someone would fill, but would be part of that role. We have chat support available for 2 of our 3 offices right now, and will have it available for our US office soon. So that means that we will have chat, phone, and email support when that is released. The bulk of our days are spent on email support tickets, because we do not make our phone number readily "available" unless a customer is at a certain subscription level, or they are savvy enough to simply Google the digits. If you can find something focused on email and chat, with intermittent calls, I would recommend looking for something like that. I am not someone who enjoys the phone part, but I am much more comfortable with it, especially since I am trying to assist someone, and there is an extremely limited volume of outbound support.

I don't know if this helps, but I feel for ya, I just happened to land a pretty sweet gig and I know that's rare.

I'll add that it is a model that exists - I know this because I used to manage a team, and we had a couple of people that only responded to emails, in part because those people really didn't do well on the phone.

That said, I've been out of that position for coming on seven years now and it was a government contract job, so YMMV. Since Stragint is looking for employment, it's probably best not to hold out for what might be an unusual edge-case.

• Options

Wrote two POs wrong (didn't send them, obviously), then wrote a bunch of poor instructions that went in the garbage.

Now I'm home and gonna nap. I used to be just fine with five hours, these days I'm a delirious mess. I think I'm gonna get an appointment with a sleep clinic like y'all talk about.

I feel as if a sleep study should be a routine part of healthcare. I hope it helps you!

I’ve mentioned it before but the amount of mistakes I made as a sleep-deprived mom to a newborn was enough to show me how utterly stupid the lack of US maternity leave is.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Was it from Miss Zarves on the 19th floor?

There is no 19th floor.

There is no Miss Zarves.

• Options
    I saw the blurb on my phone this morning for a Washington Post story saying "Think you can get less sleep and catch up later? It could harm your memory and more."

I think we've talked about it in this thread before but articles about how sleep deprivation has all these negative consequences just make me mad now. Between working 50+ hours a week and having two little kids, it's literally impossible for me to get 8 hours a night without setting aside time for myself completely. By the time our kids are in bed and we've taken care of all the nightly chores there are to do it's after 9, and I'm up at 5. If I went from washing dishes to going straight to bed I'd still lie awake with anger that I didn't get to decompress.

So it's kind of a bitter reminder that makes the media rounds every now and then that a common way of life for many Americans is slowly killing us, but unlike, say, quitting smoking or changing a diet, there's literally no way for me to create more time to sleep.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

I feel as if a sleep study should be a routine part of healthcare. I hope it helps you!

I’ve mentioned it before but the amount of mistakes I made as a sleep-deprived mom to a newborn was enough to show me how utterly stupid the lack of US maternity leave is.

My sleep study was helpful in that it indicated that I had positional apnea. If I stayed on my side, I generally slept through the night with minimal oxygen issues. When I rolled onto my back, my hypoxia incidents went through the roof. It helped explain why I always felt better rested throughout my life when I had a bed with a wall on one side. It also pointed to the optimal solution for me not being the CPAP machine (which was just as bad or worse) or a dental device. Instead it was triangular pillows to help wedge me in the right position so I stay on my side throughout the night.

I also experienced highly variable apnea in that I would have extremely acute incidents of sleep deprivation and then it would go away, only to arise again a year or so later. This pattern is not typical to apnea as most doctors diagnose it, but it was due to me spending more time on my back while asleep versus my side and minor changes in my sleeping arrangements.

The sleep study itself sucked since I was a side sleeper and the hospital bed was set up for sleeping on your back. The take home instruments weren't that great either since they were so uncomfortable I couldn't fall asleep with them on, or couldn't sleep on my side while wearing them. But I did get enough information to figure out how to solve it. Note that most doctors are going to push you towards CPAP since it is generally treated as the panacea for apnea. The dental devices can have some long-term impacts on your teeth positioning as well.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i not sleep good last night so i am dead

my flight was late

in other news my friend was at a sales conference and her ceo said some imo reasonably racist things (she is asian) and she doesn't know if or how she should report him because he's the ceo and everyone else is white ppl so hm fun

poo
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I saw the blurb on my phone this morning for a Washington Post story saying "Think you can get less sleep and catch up later? It could harm your memory and more."

I think we've talked about it in this thread before but articles about how sleep deprivation has all these negative consequences just make me mad now. Between working 50+ hours a week and having two little kids, it's literally impossible for me to get 8 hours a night without setting aside time for myself completely. By the time our kids are in bed and we've taken care of all the nightly chores there are to do it's after 9, and I'm up at 5. If I went from washing dishes to going straight to bed I'd still lie awake with anger that I didn't get to decompress.

So it's kind of a bitter reminder that makes the media rounds every now and then that a common way of life for many Americans is slowly killing us, but unlike, say, quitting smoking or changing a diet, there's literally no way for me to create more time to sleep.

We all need to work less. Thirty hour weeks, just have a few more people for coverage. Forty is an arbitrary number and less would be just fine. There are dozens of studies proving that by shortening the day, the labor is actually done more quickly. The same work needs to be done, in any field, so you just focus up and do it a little faster. If it's impossible to do faster, than you probably needed two people to do the work anyway.

Edit: Also, more generous deadlines, across the board. Just add 10 days to all deadlines for all things. Whatever that thing is, it'll be better and more accurate for it.

Edit edit: Right, nap.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options

We all need to work less. Thirty hour weeks, just have a few more people for coverage. Forty is an arbitrary number and less would be just fine. There are dozens of studies proving that by shortening the day, the labor is actually done more quickly. The same work needs to be done, in any field, so you just focus up and do it a little faster. If it's impossible to do faster, than you probably needed two people to do the work anyway.

Edit: Also, more generous deadlines, across the board. Just add 10 days to all deadlines for all things. Whatever that thing is, it'll be better and more accurate for it.

That's the massive cultural shift we'd need. Sadly I doubt it'll happen during my lifetime, let alone my career.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

That's the massive cultural shift we'd need. Sadly I doubt it'll happen during my lifetime, let alone my career.

It actually was being pushed in the 30s.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Quality is everyone's responsibility.

• Options
    The enforcement of arbitrary deadlines is really frustrating and harmful at times.

The start-ups I worked for didn’t even have working products, yet they’d hold meetings to discuss selling strategies and customers early in the morning and harass accounting and marketing to deliver reports in record time, often forcing them to work well into the night.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I like the 888 life. Although in practice its more than 8 hours of work as time spent driving or getting ready for work aren't reAlly non-work hours, even if you aren't paid for them.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I found out my uncle passed away today. I just don't know how to feel at the moment about it, given that I probably won't be able to make it to the funeral (it's on the other side of the country) and all the other emotional aspects with it being my late mother's brother who passed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I bonked my head into the corner of a big tv at work trying to pick up a switch controller while distracted

It hurt a lot

I have a lump on my head

poo
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Me to editors: "So the reviewers have asked for more information about our research to be included in this extended abstract, but a) we're already at the length limit and b) it's an ... abstract, surely they can wait for the full paper for all the juicy bits?"
    Editors: "Your paper was SO GOOD that the reviewers got overexcited, ignore them! Also you can have an extra page."

I like these guys. I'm not sure they know what they're doing, but I like them.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Well, today it happened. The state rejected our budget plea. I'm working a conference this week for our unit out of town. 5am till just now at 8pm. This is the news I come back to in my room.

Best case now is the termination of everyone by June, rather than by next week. There is no if now, only when.

Fuck.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Well, today it happened. The state rejected our budget plea. I'm working a conference this week for our unit out of town. 5am till just now at 8pm. This is the news I come back to in my room.

Best case now is the termination of everyone by June, rather than by next week. There is no if now, only when.

Fuck.

This is the kind of blatant fraud and mismanagement that's talked about in textbooks and nobody really believes ever happened.

I'm sorry, dude. You got screwed hard with the blunt end. I know we've all said you should get out asap - you must know that with your skills you'd be snatched up by any other university or large institution. So all I'll add is once the immediacy of this nonsense has passed, you should consider writing it up as a case study for a public management journal. Because it is BONKERS.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

Fuck.

This is the kind of blatant fraud and mismanagement that's talked about in textbooks and nobody really believes ever happened.

I'm sorry, dude. You got screwed hard with the blunt end. I know we've all said you should get out asap - you must know that with your skills you'd be snatched up by any other university or large institution. So all I'll add is once the immediacy of this nonsense has passed, you should consider writing it up as a case study for a public management journal. Because it is BONKERS.

I would not be surprised if some criminal charges arrive at some point. Small comfort to those who lost their jobs though.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I bonked my head into the corner of a big tv at work trying to pick up a switch controller while distracted

It hurt a lot

I have a lump on my head

I banged my head hard on the service lamp so you can see inside the trucks while unloading them they continued to make fun of my hard head again

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I would uh definitely help you write up this as a case study in mismanagement

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Like honestly if we wrote it up and passed it around my public affairs school we could get it published in a journal

Little consolation that it is

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So, I found out my uncle passed away today. I just don't know how to feel at the moment about it, given that I probably won't be able to make it to the funeral (it's on the other side of the country) and all the other emotional aspects with it being my late mother's brother who passed.

Sorry, man :(

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm maybe getting a little too feisty in my emails with work so now I'm trying to back it down a notch. I've been trying to be a bit unpredictable with them to keep them on their toes and because I am rather angry about what I went through but although I'm completely in the right I shouldn't give them any ammo whatsoever for if/when they try to illegally terminate or discriminate against me. I really want to be the one to sever our relationship. In that vein I've got an interview early next week with an industrial robotics company. Also have a couple more leads via another recruiter.

I've been working on the maintenance of my engineering license, which involves 15 hours of training each year, 1 of which must be ethics and 5 can be self studied. Not too much of a burden but the due date is coming up and it seems like a good time to knock them out, as I have so much free time. I might also put in a request for a DARPA grant for an idea I had while my brain was on fire a couple of years ago.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Since Saturday is the 2nd this year, today I am doing my yearly tradition of showing the movie Groundhog's Day once and only once in the library.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    double fuck, no stealth surgical robot company for me either.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Since Saturday is the 2nd this year, today I am doing my yearly tradition of showing the movie Groundhog's Day once and only once in the library.

Crazy how that movie has a runtime of four days... I wonder how they handled that back when it released in theatres?

• Options

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    double fuck, no stealth surgical robot company for me either.

Sounds like something a stealth surgical robot company would want you to think

• Options
    I am not doing that post thing again like I did last year. I won't clutter up the thread.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am not doing that post thing again like I did last year. I won't clutter up the thread.

I dunno what you're talking about, but do you know what would be a cool idea? Playing the movie Groundhog Day on Groundhog Day multiple times, just to confuse the students.

• Options

I dunno what you're talking about, but do you know what would be a cool idea? Playing the movie Groundhog Day on Groundhog Day multiple times, just to confuse the students.

That would just be weird. Who would do something like that?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Not Bill Murray.

Chris Elliott might though.

This discussion has been closed.