As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I ate a spicy chorizo breakfast burrito for lunch and the heat won't leave my mouth.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Customer comes up with her boyfriend. She had some charges on her account because money was being sent to an account in the boyfriend's name. His excuse was:

BF: Well she sends me to the ATM sometimes.
    Coworker: These were electronic transfers sent to a Square account.

A lot of back-and-forth that was going in circles.

BF: Well it might be from when she sends me to the ATM.
    C: That can't possibly be the case. These funds were transferred over the internet not an ATM.
    BF:...what is the internet?

BOLD STRATEGY.

so uh sounds like dude was straight up stealing from her?

hope he was an ex bf by the end of the discussion

I use to see this a lot. its sad when you can tell its familiar theft.

Also not to try and compare or one up but I love swapping these stories: I had a lady who had a ton of charges from a phone game who was calling in to dispute them.

me: Well maybe it was your child? We see that a lot kids use the parents phones and rack up charges.

Her: I don't have any kids.

Me: Ok, that was just a possibility, now I see a few of these purchases here and there over the last 8 or so months, usually for around $10. Have you played this game?

Her: No. I'm an adult, I don't play games. I don't even have a cell phone.

Me: Mam, the caller ID for this call rang up as "Verizon Cellular Customer". Are you sure you don't have a cell phone.

Her: Yeah this is my landline.

Me: Mam I'm looking at you account and you have a cell phone number listed. Its written in and matches the number your calling from?

Her: Look I told you I don't have a cell phone *in the background* "Mommmm I can't sleep"

Me: .......

Her: I'mma have to call you back

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Look, if it doesn't fall on a kid, it's fine and doesn't need to be fastened.

If it does fall on a kid, throw a drill in their hands and tell them to fix it. They probably shouldn't have been standing there.

Oh I didn't care at all about it falling on a kid. I was more concerned with someone stealing it after school.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Look, if it doesn't fall on a kid, it's fine and doesn't need to be fastened.

If it does fall on a kid, throw a drill in their hands and tell them to fix it. They probably shouldn't have been standing there.

At my middle school one of the teachers had a deer head mounted on his wall for some reason and one day it just fell off and one of the antler prongs stabbed a girl in the arm.

He wasn't allowed to have it anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Customer comes up with her boyfriend. She had some charges on her account because money was being sent to an account in the boyfriend's name. His excuse was:

C: That can't possibly be the case. These funds were transferred over the internet not an ATM.

BOLD STRATEGY.

Also not to try and compare or one up but I love swapping these stories: I had a lady who had a ton of charges from a phone game who was calling in to dispute them.

me: Well maybe it was your child? We see that a lot kids use the parents phones and rack up charges.

Me: Ok, that was just a possibility, now I see a few of these purchases here and there over the last 8 or so months, usually for around $10. Have you played this game?

Me: Mam, the caller ID for this call rang up as "Verizon Cellular Customer". Are you sure you don't have a cell phone.

Me: Mam I'm looking at you account and you have a cell phone number listed. Its written in and matches the number your calling from?

Her: Look I told you I don't have a cell phone *in the background* "Mommmm I can't sleep"

That one's funny. I was about to post a story in a similar format but it's not as funny -- one of those victim-in-denial stories I mentioned before. Guy's debit card was stolen from mailbox shared with his live-in girlfriend. Was sure it wasn't her. "She takes a lot of prescription medication, but she's not an addict."

ATM security footage shows female wearing sunglasses and a hoodie. It's obvious it's his girlfriend. Show him the pictures. "But, this woman is wearing a disguise, how can you tell? I don't think that's her."

Sorry guy, can't really help you much at this point.

Drake Chambers on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I used to use square to transfer money from friends who didn't like bringing cash for outings where splitting a check was cumbersome.

Dude sounds like he's stealing though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Reminds me of one of my friends discovering something about her husband a while back, when she asked one of the other ladies in the friend group "Hey, how much does your husband spend on video games in a month?"

Turns out it's pretty expensive to try to be competitive in (some of) those mobile games.

Bobble on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm sure there are people who've spent more on clash of clans than I've spent on pc parts and games over the past 5 years.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like if an earthquake happened here to knock the tv over we'd be turbo fucked anyway since zero buildings are constructed for earthquake safety.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    What’s a good gift for fellow managers?

Two managers gave me wine, a third gave me chocolates and makeup.

They are all a classy lot. I don’t know my wines well enough and most of them are diet-conscious and wouldn’t like chocolates or other candies.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Like if an earthquake happened here to knock the tv over we'd be turbo fucked anyway since zero buildings are constructed for earthquake safety.

Good! Why should we be concerned with the safety of earthquakes? Fuck 'em I say.

Pinfeldorf on
    Last I checked earthquakes don't even pay taxes.

Janson wrote: »

They are all a classy lot. I don’t know my wines well enough and most of them are diet-conscious and wouldn’t like chocolates or other candies.

The most sought-after gifts at our Secret Santa gift exchange were the bottles of whiskey. Wine is too complicated. Know what liquor they drink?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hi job thread. I also have a job. It brings me to people's homes to install and fix technology stuff. Today it brought me to the home of a woman who apparently doesn't believe in sanding her driveway!

Currently awaiting an x-ray.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Hi job thread. I also have a job. It brings me to people's homes to install and fix technology stuff. Today it brought me to the home of a woman who apparently doesn't believe in sanding her driveway!

If you haven't contacted your workmans comp, please do.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

as a non driveway and non car owner, is this a snow thing? Is salting/shoveling it not enough?

Asphalt + mild slope + one overnight freeze that isn't dealt with promptly = nightmarish skating rink

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Huh. Today i realized that sanding is also a contranym. I was trying to figure out why anybody would take a sander to their driveway.

Also, :bro:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Kamiro wrote: »

as a non driveway and non car owner, is this a snow thing? Is salting/shoveling it not enough?

Sand is an alternative de-icer to salt. Some places have laws against using salt on roads - I think Seattle is one of those places? For the environment?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

If you haven't contacted your workmans comp, please do.

Oh there's fun stuff there. I did. The only options for doctors were one in town that is by appointment only but can't see me until Monday, or one that's over an hour away. I ended up at my own doctor instead, I'll fight with them later about it.

Sucks working in the woods.

Salt will eat away at pavement/asphalt if used in large enough quantities over time. There are alternatives that are more effective and cheaper, I think.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Salt will eat away at pavement/asphalt if used in large enough quantities over time. There are alternatives that are more effective and cheaper, I think.

Leaving your driveway icy enough to injure people arriving at your house is probably not one of the recommended ones though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    I was wondering who has a wooden driveway and how'd you get a splinter from it.

JayKaos wrote: »

Leaving your driveway icy enough to injure people arriving at your house is probably not one of the recommended ones though.

Salt tends to melt holes in the ice and then dissolve away which, yeah, pollution. Good for stairs and walkways that you intend to shovel and scrape after, not so much for driveways.

Sand only melts a little but then it sticks in the ice and creates a surface you can get some grip on.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Heavy salt use really fucks up groundwater run-off as well. There are certainly alternatives to De-icing steps, stoops and walks. I use sand myself when the rare occasional calls for it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I should probably get some sand/salt for when winter really hits.

I have also used kitty litter in a pinch

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Snow day update: just took like a two and a half hour nap. Making tea now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

BOLD STRATEGY.

Way to one up me @Bucketman !

I just like swapping stories! :(

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Assuming they didn't feel you out about things like wine preference, go wild with whatever. Any decent person is going to say yay to getting a bottle of wine that isn't obviously from the bottom shelf. (And I'd appreciate two buck Chuck so long as I didn't think it was meant as a slight) Weird /fancy cheese's are also generally good if they are the sort to like food in general. They don't have to be super expensive, but can easily be something they'll enjoy trying that they might not have bought for themselves. Also in my experience the cheese counter person at any bougie shop is the most excited person there, will have great suggestions, and probably ply you with samples to boot.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

:mad:

Just messing with you man.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    So, I just gave my year end report thing to my boss. It went pretty well. I was kind of stuck in a conundrum though.

My team has gone from 9 people to 4 in the span of the year, with 9 being the number the company actually wants to have in this group. Everyone is just leaving due to job satisfaction and it kind of sucking here. I'm one of the most senior people in the division, with the senior title, projects to manage, and the ear of my skip level and all that. So, all that being said. I intend to leave this job by May. When asked how I feel about my job, I am always mum and blandly positive while expressing the desire for growth and opportunity, since my company is completely untrustworthy to do address a complaint in a way that would benefit the company. But this time, since I was leaving already, I kind of wanted to elude to unhappiness.

If I talked about my dissatisfaction with the job, in terms of opportunities, support etc. now would kind of be the ideal time since so many people have left and they are relying so heavily on the people who remain. I think if they were worried I would leave, which they probably aren't now but should be, I would have a lot leverage. I don't expect anything special in the year end reviews this year though, since I just got promoted last year and that will always be followed with an average review. So it would kind of be giving my boss (whom I like) anxiety, when he couldn't do anything about it.

I still kind of wanted to, just because I wanted to see if they would scramble, or actually do something unusual with my review if they were worried about it. I didn't though, just keeping my head down until I'm ready to go.

What do you guys think? Should I try and leverage the tough position they are in with staffing to get a little extra something on my way out the door, or not worth negotiating something when I intend to leave anyway?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Heavy salt use really fucks up groundwater run-off as well. There are certainly alternatives to De-icing steps, stoops and walks. I use sand myself when the rare occasional calls for it.

Burn it all.

tzpni10vlate.jpg

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

:winky:

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    So, I just gave my year end report thing to my boss. It went pretty well. I was kind of stuck in a conundrum though.

My team has gone from 9 people to 4 in the span of the year, with 9 being the number the company actually wants to have in this group. Everyone is just leaving due to job satisfaction and it kind of sucking here. I'm one of the most senior people in the division, with the senior title, projects to manage, and the ear of my skip level and all that. So, all that being said. I intend to leave this job by May. When asked how I feel about my job, I am always mum and blandly positive while expressing the desire for growth and opportunity, since my company is completely untrustworthy to do address a complaint in a way that would benefit the company. But this time, since I was leaving already, I kind of wanted to elude to unhappiness.

If I talked about my dissatisfaction with the job, in terms of opportunities, support etc. now would kind of be the ideal time since so many people have left and they are relying so heavily on the people who remain. I think if they were worried I would leave, which they probably aren't now but should be, I would have a lot leverage. I don't expect anything special in the year end reviews this year though, since I just got promoted last year and that will always be followed with an average review. So it would kind of be giving my boss (whom I like) anxiety, when he couldn't do anything about it.

I still kind of wanted to, just because I wanted to see if they would scramble, or actually do something unusual with my review if they were worried about it. I didn't though, just keeping my head down until I'm ready to go.

What do you guys think? Should I try and leverage the tough position they are in with staffing to get a little extra something on my way out the door, or not worth negotiating something when I intend to leave anyway?

Never underestimate the willingness of a company to cut off its own foot to spite a stellar employee expressing dissatisfaction with the company atmosphere.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I inherited a team lead position, we've lost 3 people in the past two months. Morale is bad enough across the entire software team that people are openly asking me how long I'm planning to stick around.

I'm not sure if it's indicative of the low morale, or if it's more a reflection on me that everyone thinks I'm already halfway out the door.

Also maybe if you go, the rest of them are going to go too. Maybe they want to know so they can make their own plans.

There's definitely an element of that, I've spoken privately to another person at my level and we've both gotten a gauge on how long we're each willing to wait and see if things get better. Because we both know if one of us leaves the other is out too.

I tend to err on the side of "dont burn bridges uncessarily." As a former manager, I was only given a certain amount of budget that I had to allocate within my team for the purposes of raises etc. If I had someone milk me like that and then leave when I could have been using it to keep someone else... I wouldn't be too happy.

That said generally the advice is take care of you first, which is also perfectly reasonable. Just giving the other (potential) flip perspective, there's no guarantee that your employer is at all similar to mine or that your bosses aren't douches.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I inherited a team lead position, we've lost 3 people in the past two months. Morale is bad enough across the entire software team that people are openly asking me how long I'm planning to stick around.

I'm not sure if it's indicative of the low morale, or if it's more a reflection on me that everyone thinks I'm already halfway out the door.

Also maybe if you go, the rest of them are going to go too. Maybe they want to know so they can make their own plans.

There's definitely an element of that, I've spoken privately to another person at my level and we've both gotten a gauge on how long we're each willing to wait and see if things get better. Because we both know if one of us leaves the other is out too.

I tend to err on the side of "dont burn bridges uncessarily." As a former manager, I was only given a certain amount of budget that I had to allocate within my team for the purposes of raises etc. If I had someone milk me like that and then leave when I could have been using it to keep someone else... I wouldn't be too happy.

That said generally the advice is take care of you first, which is also perfectly reasonable. Just giving the other (potential) flip perspective, there's no guarantee that your employer is at all similar to mine or that your bosses aren't douches.

Yeah, I know my managers are under the same kinds of constraints, except all of the people who have left were immediately offered promotions when they said they were leaving, when at focal time there was somehow no budget for it.

I don't think I will actually do anything like that, the upside is pretty low, but it's kind of fun to think about.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Boy it is real fuckin demoralizing to receive an email notifying us that the banking center employees who work at the branch literally 30 seconds up the road get to go home early because the roads are horrible

But us lowly call center peons have to stay for another 3 hours even though we are literally on the same street and the roads are just going to get worse

CYpGAPn.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That sucks. Sorry about your bad bosses, Blank.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I did a tooon today. Finally did a bunch of dockets. Of course in the process of doing them I also noticed a few that I hadn't set reminders, etc for, so my list is... only marginally smaller. Still, I'm getting them done, at least.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My last day at work was on Monday. I was planning on taking this week off to do things around the house that I never do because I don't make time. Unfortunately, I've got some kind of evil lung illness that just isn't getting better. Regardless of the terrible American Health Treatment and Money Milking System we have, I'm not covered by insurance because they have to mail out the COBRA shit, and that takes forever. Also, the new insurance doesn't kick in until I start the job. The real bane of my existence is that I'm so very slowly getting better. It's taking weeks, and I still get drained going down the stairs.

Even though I've got my offer letter signed saying I'd be starting next Monday, is it wise to ask to move that out? I don't care about the pay, I just want to rest. Computer work is lazy enough as it is, but it's exhausting talking to people, and I want to nap. I also don't want to bring the plague with me to the new place. Like, "hello, thanks for hiring me! fuck you here's the lung plague!"

This discussion has been closed.