As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me PC Games I've Missed

UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm just about to purchase a new PC, haven't bought one in about five years, and I'm looking to catch up on the big games I've missed.

So far I'm planning to pick up:

Half-Life 2
CS: Source
Far Cry
Oblivion

I'm a bit on the fence about picking up these games:

Halo 2
Civilization 4
C&C 3
Battlefield 2142

I'm open to suggestions from lots of genres. I'm not too into RTS, but I'll take a look if it's a good game, and I realise my list is a little FPS heavy, but then I really want to see what graphics I've missed =)

So, any suggestions?

UnreadableHulk on

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Halo 2 is good, but I'm not sure I'd pick it up for PC.

You've omitted Quake IV and Doom 3, both of which were excellent games, albeit a little one-dimensional.

C&C3 is excellent. Supreme Commander is similarly excellent but (I'm told) requires the micromanagement skills of a stereotypical 15-year-old Korean male.

Salvation122 on
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really enjoyed F.E.A.R.

For really good RTS's I can recommend Company of Heroes (for low level unit tactics and micro management) and Supreme Commander (for higher level strategic resource management). I preferred both of them before C&C3.

Grudge on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Civ 4 or C&C 3 would be absolute must haves, on that list. I'd also like to throw Titan Quest out there, if you need a diablo-mouse-click-fest fix.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    STALKER is a good, recent FPS. Patches have ironed out the majority of the bugs.

captaink on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Just make sure you patch it to 1.2

Edit: I should proabbly say more about it. It's a slightly more RPGish FPS than Deus Ex, but with vampires.

LewieP on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? I haven't played it myself, but it seems to be pretty well liked. Comparable to F.E.A.R., just a bit more intense.

Masonite on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neverwinter Nights 2 has some problems with the graphics not being as good as you'd think for it's system requirements, but it is a really, really fun time. Priority one should definitely be HL2 and Episode 1.

Darlan on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Get UT2k4. You can get it for really cheap now and its still a ton of fun. Or you might just want to wait until UT3, but I dont know if your new comp will be able to handle the U3 Engine.

BiggNife on
  • UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    STALKER and Titan's Quest both look awesome. (Particularly cause I'm always jonesing for some Greek mythology action)

I had forgotten about Bloodlines, but I'll definitely get that. I've been a huge White Wolf tabletop fan for years.

I'm wondering on Halo 2, is half the attraction playing it online? I'm guessing the PC version won't allow me to play with the huge community of Xbox gamers. Not trying to start any arguments, but is the single player worth it as an FPS or is there much better single-player experiences out there?

UnreadableHulk on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't Halo 2 Vista-exclusive or something stupid like that?

Daedalus on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm wondering on Halo 2, is half the attraction playing it online? I'm guessing the PC version won't allow me to play with the huge community of Xbox gamers. Not trying to start any arguments, but is the single player worth it as an FPS or is there much better single-player experiences out there?
    I love Halo 2, but you'll be good for FPSes for a while if you get HL2 and CS:S. May as well wait for the Halo 2 mod community to take off and maybe a price drop. SP is very "good, but not great."

Darlan on
    edited May 2007
    Also, should I be looking at any places besides Amazon/Best Buy to pick these up? Any place with better deals?

I have some reservations about picking up copies of these used (eBay, etc.) just because I don't want to get a game with a serial key, find it's been used, and be unable to play the game/online. Am I overreacting?

UnreadableHulk on
  • StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do not be on the fence about Civ 4 or C&C3.

You should get them.

Warning about FarCry: It was a great game, but it won't run on my new computer. Or more specifically, it runs about 30 times too fast and won't recognize the mouse when I'm playing. I've got an Athlon 64 x2 processor and a GeForce 7900 for the record.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Stover wrote: »

You should get them.

Warning about FarCry: It was a great game, but it won't run on my new computer. Or more specifically, it runs about 30 times too fast and won't recognize the mouse when I'm playing. I've got an Athlon 64 x2 processor and a GeForce 7900 for the record.

D: I am planning on getting a system with that kind of Athlon processor... Damn. This is one of the games I remember following a while back and I was really looking forward to seeing it in action. Maybe I'll just wait on it and try to find a friend with a copy.

UnreadableHulk on
  • StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FarCry and PoP: Sands of Time are the only games I've seen with this problem. Too bad, because they're both awesome.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know you said you weren't a heavy RTS gamer, but I'd definitely would give Company of Heroes a shot. There should be a demo around somewhere. Amazing single player campaign, with realistic physics and a more "tactical" take on the RTS genre.

Rhapsody on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In my mind, Company of Heroes is the RTS game for people who don't like RTS's. Lots of low level unit tactics, not as much of an emphasis on the big picture resource management, and more of an emphasis on spread out small scale incursions. For people who don't like the breakneck dunk in pace of Supreme Commander or CnC3, it's much much better.

zerg rush on
  • Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
    Fantastic RTS. When combined with its two expansions (Winter Assault and Dark Crusade), you can play as one of seven different armies.

Dawn of War demo

Dark Crusade demo (standalone expansion; original game not needed to play)

Mr. Gruntor on
    edited May 2007
    I did see a friend play some Company of Heroes, and it looked like it played like X-Com. Am I off on that?

UnreadableHulk on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stover wrote: »

You should get them.

D: I am planning on getting a system with that kind of Athlon processor... Damn. This is one of the games I remember following a while back and I was really looking forward to seeing it in action. Maybe I'll just wait on it and try to find a friend with a copy.
    That's a common bug with dual-core processors. I have an A64 x2 4200+ and when I first set up my system, Far Cry (and many other games) ran waay too fast. There are some drivers/hotfixes that help. Go here (AMD's driver page for x2 CPUs) and download the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer (first one) and the A64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver (second to last). That, plus an XP hotfix that used to be in the wild on the web (you had to pay MS for it but fuck that) and may or may not still be. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you. I can't remember if that's all I did to fix the problem, but I think it is. I've moved on to Vista so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

As for games to get, STALKER and FEAR are both great. FEAR is scarier and much more of a standard FPS while STALKER is more open-ended. IMO, FEAR is the better game. I don't mind the nonlinearity of it and the gunfights are so amazing.

fogeyman on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thief 3.

august on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, should I be looking at any places besides Amazon/Best Buy to pick these up? Any place with better deals?

I have some reservations about picking up copies of these used (eBay, etc.) just because I don't want to get a game with a serial key, find it's been used, and be unable to play the game/online. Am I overreacting?

The only way that would happen is if the original owner was online at the same time. The serial key isn't tied to your hardware or anything. I mean, that would suck: it would mean you could never upgrade your computer or else your games would all start working. So they don't do it that way.

Daedalus on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your must-get list is basically the same as mine, in terms of recent PC games. Out of absolutely everything else, I would rate Half-Life 2 as the most important game. Far Cry is great, but I have that damn mouse problem on my MacBook Pro, and if it's happening on more modern computers it may be something to avoid. Oblivion is also great (particularly if you never played Morrowind or only kinda liked it enough to play for a little until getting pissed at how shitty the gameplay was), though you may find the need for a balance mod in short order, but we have other topics about that. The gameplay could still use a lot of work, but for me, Oblivion was the adventurous exploring fun of Morrowind, only playable.

Other games I've only played demos of, but Dawn of War is near the top of my list, based on demo alone. Also, based on the demo, Doom 3 is total crap.

Also, if you want to go old school, I have so many favorite games that I think everyone should play, like Myth: The Fallen Lords / Soulblighter.

LoneIgadzra on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did anyone say the Fallouts or Planescape:Torment? If not I'll just get that out of the way since they always come up in a thread like this.

DuskTwilight on
  • strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I did see a friend play some Company of Heroes, and it looked like it played like X-Com. Am I off on that?

Not even close. X-com is turn based, CoH is RTS. And you don't get a set number of units in CoH. It works like a typical RTS. Build base buildings, use buildings to produce units, use units to kill enemy.

Only instead of harvesting resources you capture territory that provides you a certain type of resource at a steady rate. IE: You capture a high fuel point you get +16 added to your fuel income every minute. There's 3 resource types manpower, munitions, and fuel.

Manpower is required to pretty much do anything. Build buildings, produce units, research abilities. No manpower = none of that. Thankfully it's produced from your HQ so you don't have to worry about the enemy cutting it off.

Munitions is required to use abilities. Things like artillery strikes, grenades, and new weapons for axis infantry squads all require munitions to use. This must be captured.

Fuel is required for pretty much every vehicle in the game. Unless said vehicle is part of your commander tree(more on this in a second). Tanks, half tracks, and armored cars all require fuel to produce. This resource also must be captured.

The game also has this nifty things known as Commander Doctrines. Basically each side has 3 doctrines they can choose from, and within these doctrines are special abilities like artillery strikes, income boosts, special units, or even things like Allied War Machine(an ability that replaces any tank that is destroyed while the ability is active). These doctrines can, and will, make or break your game. You may find a time where you needed an artillery strike really badly, but can't use it because your doctrine doesn't have access to one. Or you needed that special tank, but you selected infantry so you don't get said tank.

It's all very cool, and the game doesn't use Blizzards patented "micro for the sake of microing goddamnit" mentality.

So yeah, throw in another vote for you to try CoH. It's an absolutely amazing game, and without a doubt my favorite game of last year.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Although you say you're not into RTS (everyone goes through that stage), you can always try!
    RTS:
    Company of Heroes
    C&C3
    Warhammer 40k
    Warcraft III: TFT (older game, but alot of fun custom maps, the game itself will be quite hard for beginners)

FPS:
    Half-Life 2 (comes with CS: Source)
    Stalker
    F.E.A.R.
    Quake 4 (although the online scene is a bit elitist)
    UT2K4 (same as Quake 4, but a nicer scene)
    Quake Wars (very soon to be released, expected to be made of awesome milk juice)
    FarCry
    Halo 2 (It's not even released yet and could be Vista only, not sure if it will live up to the other PC shooters)

RPG/Adventure:
    Titan Quest
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Oblivion
    Sam & Max
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Jade Empire

MMO:
    EVE
    WOW
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes/Villains

Action/Adventure:
    Tomb Raider Legend
    PoP: Sands of Time
    Max Payne 2 (dirt cheap)
    Hitman: Blood Money
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    Psychonauts

Civ games:
    Sims 2
    Pirates!
    Civ4

Lot's more but it's a start :P.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited May 2007

The only way that would happen is if the original owner was online at the same time. The serial key isn't tied to your hardware or anything. I mean, that would suck: it would mean you could never upgrade your computer or else your games would all start working. So they don't do it that way.

Hmm, I may go used then, as a list like this is going to take quite a bit of scratch. Thanks

I did play Morrowind and basically explored/ignored the main quest for the entire time I played it. I'm really looking forward to Oblivion.

I have played the two Fallout games, and I've got a copy of Planescape floating around here somewhere. Funny thing, Morrowind was the last big PC game I played (barring MMOs) as I picked that up right when I got my last computer. So anything pre-Morrowind I've covered fairly well.

Edit: Hmm, it may not have been Company of Heroes then. I think the game was called Storm...something. With that kind of endorsement though, I think CoH has made it onto the list =)

I had almost forgotten about Sam & Max. I may need to get a Gametap subscription just to keep up with that. Now if only Full Throttle 2 would get picked back up...

Max Payne 2 is another that I never got the chance to try, but I did play the first. Definitely a pick up.

UnreadableHulk on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Edit: Hmm, it may not have been Company of Heroes then. I think the game was called Storm...something. With that kind of endorsement though, I think CoH has made it onto the list =)

Was it called Silent Storm? Its an excellent strategic (fictional) 2nd World War game. Wee, leveling buildings was so much fun.

Dratatoo on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I built myself a new computer and I'm slowly trying to get a collection of PC games built up. Here's my current list:

Oblivion - Purchased
    FEAR
    Brothers in Arms 3
    Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
    Gothic 3
    Two Worlds
    Medal of Honor: Airborne Assault
    Battlestations: Midway
    Civilizations 4: Warlords
    Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
    Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
    Freedom Force: Fall of the Third Reich
    Freedom Fighters
    Red Orchestra
    Doom 3
    Prey
    Quake 4
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Far Cry
    Call of Duty 2
    Evil Genius
    Jade Empire: Special Edition
    ArmA: Combat Operations
    Star Wars: Empire at War - Purchased

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I was wondering what was so special about HL2 that made it a must have? I mean from what Ive seen its basically an FPS with some nifty physics. Anything more than that other than the mod scene?

Though I will admit that portal looks pretty friggin cool.

Bedlam on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »
    So I was wondering what was so special about HL2 that made it a must have? I mean from what Ive seen its basically an FPS with some nifty physics. Anything more than that other than the mod scene?

As far as I am concerned, HL2 is the Citizen Kane of video games.

LewieP on
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Word.

UT2K4 is also more bang for your buck than you can possibly imagine.

august on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

It's a really fucking good FPS. It didn't bring anything significantly new to the table, everything in it was just done really well.

fogeyman on
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd consider the gravity gun and physics pretty new. Not unprecedented, but definitely the best so far.
    Also, I TOO was thinking of Silent Storm when I heard 'Company of Heroes'. Weird.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    august wrote: »

Word.

Do people still play that game? I just got a new computer and I haven't installed it yet, should I bother?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I honestly thought half life 2 was extremely boring. The enemies just aren't fun to fight. The only thing it has going for it is its level design. Fear was the direct opposite. Really fun combat, but the levels sucked horribly.

I have been enjoying STALKER a lot more than either of those games though.

wakkawa on
    edited May 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Word.

Do people still play that game? I just got a new computer and I haven't installed it yet, should I bother?

People "still play" everything. Check my sig.

Except Bombing Run. I could never find a decent pug of that.

august on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My votes for PC games go for:

Psychonauts: Just all around great RPG and it can really be humorous.
    Dawn of War: Awesome gameplay and EPIC backstory if you ever read up on it. Don't forget to zoom in on the melee fights.
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted: Lots of fun during cops chases, 1 generation behind but it has better gameplay and runs easier but still looks awesome.
    Oblivion: This one is an obvious must.
    The Sims 2: Addicting and fun, but be wary of certain expansions, they just flat out suck. If you don't want your sims to go to college and skip that stage of the game, then there is absolutely no reason to pick up that EP, for example...
    Cell Factor Demo: If you can get it to run at a decent frame-rate, it's actually pretty fun.

Lucky Cynic on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Alphabetized for her pleasure:

Baldur's Gate I and II
    Battlefield 2 or 2142, depending on whether you like sci-fi more
    Battlestations: Midway
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Brothers in Arms
    Call of Duty 1 and 2
    Civilization 4
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Diablo II
    DEFCON, Darwinia, Uplink
    Deus Ex
    Far Cry
    Freedom Fighters
    Freelancer
    Freespace 2 (this game is free)
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Galactic Civilizations II
    Grim Fandango
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    GUN
    Half-Life 2 and HL2: Episode 1
    Hitman (there's like 4 of them)
    Homeworld 1 and 2
    Jade Empire
    Just Cause
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
    LEGO Star Wars 1 and 2
    Max Payne 1 and 2
    Medieval 2: Total War
    Natural Selection (free mod for Half-Life)
    Need for Speed: Carbon
    No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Painkiller
    Planescape: Torment
    Psychonauts
    Rainbow 6: Vegas
    Sam and Max - Season 1
    Serious Sam
    SiN Episode 1 - Emergence
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
    S.W.A.T 4
    Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
    Splinter Cell: All of Them (except possible Double Agent which I haven't played)
    Supreme Commander
    System Shock 2
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    The Specialists (free mod for Half-Life)
    Thief 1, 2, 3
    Titan Quest
    Tomb Raider: Whatever that one game is (the good one)
    Tron 2.0
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Warcraft III
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
    XIII

That's not a full list but it should keep you from having to dip in to utter shit like Halo 2 for a while, at least.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dwarf Fortress and Cave Story have taken up a lot of my time recently, and they're both free. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png