As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think the MGS4 runner was saying at the start that the intro of the game triggers DMCA claims.

This is a wild reality we live in.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    aaaand we're back

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    As weird and pretty as Ecco the Dolphin was it certainly doesn't do my thalassophobia any favors.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Not too many games I'm dying to see, but as much as I love Startropics, it's fun to see someone who knows even more than me.
    (I played it when it came out, had to put water on the manual and all.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This morning / overnight has been a period of GDQ that I don't usually see. There's been some great runs and commentary couches going on.

Ecco the Dolphin is a game from my childhood. I got to the end once, and died to the boss swallowing me - and then the game fucking softlocked on me. I never beat it. Hearing them explain how the boss fight is supposed to go felt nice.

And the Startropics run was pretty aces. I dunno who else has played that game but it is SO RIGID in its controls. So seeing him just coast room to room was amazing. Best part,
    HALF A HEART

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The Golden Sun slot is way too early for me on Wednesday so I'll just watch the vod later

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    If you're not catching the Turok run right now, you gotta catch it on VOD when it's available.
    The meme is that the little triangles you collect give an extra life.
    The runner died and ran out of lives.
    He just ripped open a bag of Doritos and poured them all over his face

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    speed kid

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So there's a PC remake of Sonic 1 that is...completely different, mechanically, from Sonic 1?

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    So there's a PC remake of Sonic 1 that is...completely different, mechanically, from Sonic 1?

the sonic fandom is unbelievably cursed

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Looks like a phone version but they added spin dash and Tails?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the sonic fandom is unbelievably cursed

It's an official port, originally on mobile devices. It was developed by Christian Whitehead, with Headcanon. Some of the guys who worked on Sonic Mania later.

Seems like it's a port that brings in features from the later games, such as 2, 3, and And Knuckles.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Sonic world record, apparently

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Sonic world record, apparently

Confirmed by runner and by 3 seconds.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely the perfect way to start the sonic block. Flying Fox becomes fastest fox.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh, that's cool.

• Options
    I guess they're just not gonna mention the soundtrack mod they're using.

• Options
    2 WRs in a row is kinda nuts

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    2 WRs in a row is kinda nuts

That second one is off a very recent major glitch, so it's a bit more leeway in the time. But still.

• Options
    JHobz is interviewing runner Gordon Ramsay.

Hobz: What's the story behind the name?

GR: Free clout.

Baller.

• Options
    Argick has far too much energy for me to handle.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This is actually just the new TASbot

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

This is probably a result of things like not wanting to be on a crowded discord call for the sake of stream stability, but these online events seem to be placing a lot more of the burden of commentary on the actual runners as well. Lots more of the online runs have either empty couches, or just one person helping out with commentary.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    argick is AMAZING haha man I'm just losing my mind listening to this

• Options

This is probably a result of things like not wanting to be on a crowded discord call for the sake of stream stability, but these online events seem to be placing a lot more of the burden of commentary on the actual runners as well. Lots more of the online runs have either empty couches, or just one person helping out with commentary.

Eh, some runners like to do their own commentary. I am unaware of any restrictions regarding commentators beyond having below a certain number.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

A lot of games from that era tried this. Mario, megaman come to mind as having horrible attempts to make a DOS version.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If I had the time and willpower, I would absolutely take the audio from this run and make Scottish Self-Narrating Motormouth Sonic the Hedgehog shorts.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options

I happened to see a little bit of his stream recently and he was just as energetic there.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I mean it's also kind of more old school GDQ, having couch people do most of the commentary has become a lot more common over time. In earlier years it was more common for them to just be there for moral support, or maybe to explain a super precise trick while the runner focused on doing it.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Apparently in Sonic '06 you can just delete a boss

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I knew Sonic 06 was a broken mess, but not "force a boss to move so far out of bounds that the game deletes it and completes the level for you"

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I knew Sonic 06 was a broken mess, but not "force a boss to move so far out of bounds that the game deletes it and completes the level for you"

I like the followup commentary that the game won't crash no matter how much they break things in it. Which... well.

• Options
    Radical Train's motorcycle is jank. Observe.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BeautifulGleamingCarrotOSkomodo

• Options
    I LINKED THAT BEFORE IT HAPPENED ON THE RUN LMFAO

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Sonic Block of AGDQ 2021 is easily the best to ever happen at any GDQ. I'm calling it right now.

Also I got my stimulus money so I was able to drop a donation this year afterall. Not a lot but still.

Edit-

Henroid on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tech crew has been having a rough time this GDQ

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Tech crew has been having a rough time this GDQ

I honestly suspect most of it is Twitch being REALLY rough since the new year, and not really a result of GDQ in particular

• Options
    Not as bad as the year where there was the 4 way Tetris Championship thing that took like 2 or 3 hours to set up.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    argick is AMAZING haha man I'm just losing my mind listening to this

he's wayy too much for me i just find his schtick incredibly cringe