As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I can't say this is what actually happened, but when the Mega Man Zero 2 Hard run ended and it was mentioned that the time could be a world record, I went online to check and found the webpage to fail due to having "too many connections", so there may have been a massive rush to check.

I think it was.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    yes it was wr

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    yes it was wr
    Can you pull up a verification / citation that it was? Because hell yes if he got it.

As for Majora's Mask, honestly it and OoT have worn thin for me. OoT I've been watching a lot of randomizer races for with a bunch of different categories. Majora's Mask I don't even like the casual run of.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    its all over the speedrun subreddit

e: there's some drama about keizaron hosting since allegedly he's a super abusive manipulative person

(shirt rip guy)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Several parts of that skip to the ice mountain dungeon made me audibly gasp

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php?game=26&category=584 FYI this is the leaderboard for the game+category he ran. He beat his previous record by 3 seconds

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That was a fucking great start to AGDQ.

Hollow Knight is one of the best games to watch skill/speed runs. Great choice to start with.

• Options
    The estimated time of the Portal run being the same as the setup time makes me wish they just did MGS2 early instead

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Portal runs are fucking amazing to watch, though.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That was a fucking great start to AGDQ.

Hollow Knight is one of the best games to watch skill/speed runs. Great choice to start with.

The bit where he skipped to Blue Lake by dying and then pogoing off of his own Shade was wild to me.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    portal made my head hurt

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I got to the MGS2 run a bit late, after Olga it looks like. Is this a no-kill run?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I got to the MGS2 run a bit late, after Olga it looks like. Is this a no-kill run?

Yeah I think that is a requirement of the European extreme difficulty.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just woke up to the start of a game called Monster World 4.

This game is charming! The music and art are great! Why have I never heard of this before?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Mostly a Genesis series, so unfortunately not many people know about it, along with the other classics.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's criminal. I mean, I had a friend with a Genesis, and thought I knew about many of the bigger Sega games, but.. yeah. I can see the influence for so many games in here. I gives me a huge Kirby vibe too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    They just released a new game in the series a year or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYmEsguGPQw

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This event has been growing. The US is mostly asleep, and there's still 84k people watching a genesis game.
    I saw 145k when I looked at the counter during Mega Man yesterday.

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the GDQ's celebrating 100k concurrent viewers as a milestone.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    monster world 4 was proto shantae, change my mind

• Options
    Oh man. Heart wrenching from D4gr0n... He plays Mega Turrican because it was the last gift he got from his mom before she died of cancer.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    They actually just put out a new Monster Boy game (The japanese name for Wonder Boy that they're using for all regions now) last month. It's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWJOg1TydM

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    This is scratching my itch for a Demon's Crest style platformer something fierce...

Edit: THE FUCK?! Hudson's Adventure Island is an adaptation of this series?!

Athenor on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Here’s an article explaining some of the wonkiness in the series’s various ports & titles:
    https://www.wired.com/2007/11/virtual-conso-3-2-2/amp
    Sadly, that article is in the context of “here’s what you can get on the wii virtual console”, so I think most of those titles aren’t actually available any more.

The game that came out a couple years ago (Dragon’s Trap) is a remake of the fourth game and the one that just came out a month or so ago is a completely new game in the same style of that remake.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I went to bed and woke up like a regular adult so I'm up early. Caught the last half of the Vectorman run (man that was short). That was pretty impressive. I knew the double jump attack was strong but not THAT strong. Shame on them for that false "TIME!" though on the last boss.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    AGDQ isn't supposed to make me cry!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    AGDQ isn't supposed to make me cry!

i dunno you ever watch awful block

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    k ive never seen this bloody wolf game before but i love how when the bad guys get shot with a FLAMETHROWER they get a giant cannon wound in their chest and point to the sky like they just scored a touchdown

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    k ive never seen this bloody wolf game before but i love how when the bad guys get shot with a FLAMETHROWER they get a giant cannon wound in their chest and point to the sky like they just scored a touchdown
    Yeah the death poses are pretty great. To me it looks more of like they're doing an overly dramatic theater performance "A CURSE ON YOU AND YOUR HOUSE!" pose.

• Options
    I'm working during the entire castlevania block :(

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Monster World 4 run as those people just made tiny little jabs at each other the entire time.

No, I don't want to talk about why I was awake for that.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the Monster World 4 run as those people just made tiny little jabs at each other the entire time.

No, I don't want to talk about why I was awake for that.

The runs I've seen so far have had excellent couch commentary. This is obviously performance, but they really are bringing on good people and amazing runners.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “This [vampire boss] is just awful.”
    *boss dies in 1 second*

• Options
    Hahaha, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts nailed on the estimated time.

• Options
    Yes! PJ broke the whiteboard art!

• Options
    Man I really hope they meet that Castlevania 3 goal. There was a long way to go still when I started running errands.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I really hope they meet that Castlevania 3 goal. There was a long way to go still when I started running errands.

They met it right before Symphony of the Night began

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The PSP version of SOTN looks wrong and I don't like it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    The PSP version of SOTN looks wrong and I don't like it.
    The changes they talked about are odd, like not being able to infinite wing smash as a bat.

Still, the version has one thing going for it. When Alucard talks to Death at the start of the game he tells him "Step aside old man." I loved that a lot.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    also the PSP screen looks so fuzzy and low-res in a way I haven't seen SOTN in a long-ass time, being that I'm always playing it on something that uprezzes it with sharp pixels.

sig.gif