As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    My least favorite runs involve running around inside geometry and skipping about out-of-bounds. I am sure it rquires reaction-time and finesse but it doesn't really provide a bunch of spectacle.

Unless the skipping around out of bounds is boost ball abuse in Metroid Prime. And skipping means "suddenly Samus exists everywhere at once" to collect every pickup currently loaded. That's a fun glitch, and they usually have to get to the room with or before an upgrade to get it even with that, so you still see much of the game.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    runs of 3d games are always kind of a crapshoot since you can clip into oob really consistently in almost every one ever made

if you're lucky it'll be a 3d game that's secretly held together with spit and thumbtacks, like Donkey Kong 64 or Metroid Prime

those are some real entertaining runs

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    My least favorite runs involve running around inside geometry and skipping about out-of-bounds. I am sure it rquires reaction-time and finesse but it doesn't really provide a bunch of spectacle.

Unless the skipping around out of bounds is boost ball abuse in Metroid Prime. And skipping means "suddenly Samus exists everywhere at once" to collect every pickup currently loaded. That's a fun glitch, and they usually have to get to the room with or before an upgrade to get it even with that, so you still see much of the game.

"and now I'm going to spin at infinite speed and exist at all points in this room simultaneously" is a thing you will hear someone say in a Metroid Prime speedrun, and it's great

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    runs of 3d games are always kind of a crapshoot since you can clip into oob really consistently in almost every one ever made

if you're lucky it'll be a 3d game that's secretly held together with spit and thumbtacks, like Donkey Kong 64 or Metroid Prime

those are some real entertaining runs

those are the ones I like because watching the game just fall apart is amusing to me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya there's def a difference between watching a glitch run where they are always oob and it's impossible to tell what is going on or even what game they're playing, which get real boring, and then there's stuff like the N64 zelda games that allow you to use loading zones to just warp all over the game and get up to some real goofy shit.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

"and now I'm going to spin at infinite speed and exist at all points in this room simultaneously" is a thing you will hear someone say in a Metroid Prime speedrun, and it's great

the first time I saw that trick used I kinda blinked for a little bit and though to myself "sometimes videogames are ok"

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I enjoy some of Sonic Adventure's OoB skips. "Slingshot yourself across the map semi-blind and hope for the best."

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spw8wfcL7vo
    rewatched this after reminding myself of this run. i love when runs go sideways but the runner is still cool.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't think of any runs that were all or mostly OoB stuff that had nothing to look at for the audience.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The time is almost upon us.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I can't think of any runs that were all or mostly OoB stuff that had nothing to look at for the audience.

That one super metroid glitch

But that really aint super metroid and ots usually a after run incentive or was

Same as beating yellow in 2 mins with the credit warp/lttp walk to the triforce

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I am excited for a GDQ

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited for this! ... Except... I am yet to play Hollow Knight, and I really want to, and have so far mostly been able to avoid spoilers of even the aesthetics. So I'm like... kinda wanting to skip the opening!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Preshow does, at least. First run is at noon EST

• Options
    Y'know it's really heartwarming to see how close they actually were with the Hilton they used to do this at. That they got the hotel manager to play along with the opening show bits.

Also spikevegeta got ooooowwwwnnnnnnnned.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Dkc and super Mario rpg shirts? Looks like I'm getting 2 this time

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Oh man that FF9 shirt...I wish it were on a darker color

• Options
    Man this Hollow Knight run is really making me want to go back and finish that game. I think it also had some DLC come out last year that I should check out as well.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Catching some of the Hollow Knight run before work

Damn, he tore through those Watcher Knights

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    The boss fight execution in this run is incredible. I'm torn between fascination and being mad because this game gave me a hard time to beat it. The final boss of the True Ending is gonna be where it's at.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh man that FF9 shirt...I wish it were on a darker color

Same. Slate or a dark blue would be awesome.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    fucking anthony....

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That last boss fight had me nervous

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight run was cool. That not-healing in the final boss fight got tense.

• Options
    I'm so glad he first tried the last boss. I had a hard time with the Radiant and he cut it close. The visuals when it's defeated are fucking amazing. I never get tired of seeing it.

As for the Path of Pain, fucking hell he did a lot of it clean enough. That part of the game was just... fucking impossible.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That was a fucking great start to AGDQ.

• Options
    We got a PA Discord going on and I had Tonkka add an AGDQ channel

https://discord.gg/X8uGNe

Come join!

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wow I had no idea Master Hand was a Kirby thing.

[edit] Nevermind this came out after Smash.

Deans on
  • Options
    Smash Bros is basically Sakurai's way of making everybody see all his Kirby stuff.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    #nice

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'm not very hot on races when they're so one-sided. Still seeing the new tech in DKC was pretty rad. I wonder if they'll find more stages to execute it in.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I
    love
    SpikeVegeta.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So uhh

Mario Kart speed running is pretty boring huh

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    there's never been a good mario kart speedrun

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    it's basically just playing the game normally with lots of snaking and an occasional shortcut yeah, and by virtue of always being way ahead of the CPUs the only time it's not just time trials is when they throw a blue shell or lightning at you

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TAS Mario Kart is pretty rad

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    majoras mask run should be really cool and its one of my favourite games