As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I could see an argument that being on the GDQ stage gives you a lot of exposure to a wider audience and could potentially attract more people to their own twitch channel, I know there's a few people I learned about through GDQ who's streams I'll check out every now and then. But it's by no means guaranteed and a big risk when you have to take off at least part of a week of streaming, which is a big deal, and viewing a charity event through that lens is pretty shitty in the first place.

I also thought this part was pretty funny
    “People will focus on the fact ‘omg he cheated,’ and not on the sheer amount of preparations done to ensure ... the segmented run will go unnoticed.

Oh no, people are now talking about how you lied to everybody for an incentive, something people paid money to see, and not how much work you put in to make sure nobody caught on that you were cheating (which I mean doesn't seem to be that much seeing as he got caught pretty damn quick).

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Just catching up on last week

The Emerald Randomiser was very entertaining. I will be haunted by the sheer power of that Golbat for a while

The Spyro run was good, a lot of pure skill on display. The routing reminded me of a travelling salesman problem, I kept worrying because he kept missing easy to get gems but it was all part of the path

Happy's Humble Burger Farm is the kind of run I look for, a chaotic game coupled with a chaotic runner. Good fun

Quantum Tiger on
    kime
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Oof that sounds a lot like they were voluntold

I just looked into it a bit during the marathon when I couldn’t find bloodstained on the schedule anymore, def my fault for not getting all the info

I was watching BarbarousKing yesterday and he talked about this (he was in the room). He described it as Blacktastic volunteering with the knowledge that people who agreed would be automatically accepted next time. Still a shitty outcome, but he wasn't cut by staff at least.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The Dread and Super Kazio reaffirmed my love for Metroid in speedruns. Even if that one guy on the couch during the Dread speedrun was a little much

Just absolute pure skill showcases

BahamutZEROkime
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I could see an argument that being on the GDQ stage gives you a lot of exposure to a wider audience and could potentially attract more people to their own twitch channel, I know there's a few people I learned about through GDQ who's streams I'll check out every now and then. But it's by no means guaranteed and a big risk when you have to take off at least part of a week of streaming, which is a big deal, and viewing a charity event through that lens is pretty shitty in the first place.

I also thought this part was pretty funny
    “People will focus on the fact ‘omg he cheated,’ and not on the sheer amount of preparations done to ensure ... the segmented run will go unnoticed.

Oh no, people are now talking about how you lied to everybody for an incentive, something people paid money to see, and not how much work you put in to make sure nobody caught on that you were cheating (which I mean doesn't seem to be that much seeing as he got caught pretty damn quick).

GDQ definitely gives people exposure.. although not as much as people think.

It's the fact that he looks at it as if it's the reason for participating itself though. It's a very selfish, douchy way to explain equally douchy behavior. I feel like that was one of the worst explanations he could have possibly given. Even "I did it for the luls" would have been better.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    H0b0manjungleroomxMidnite
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Someone legit trying to make the exposure claim, like ouch bro. You do the charity because you believe in the charity, even for bigger streamers like Barb it costs more money than it brings in everytime.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    PinfeldorfHandsome CostanzaH0b0manMidnitefacetiousMunkus Beaver
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Okay I watched the OoT TAS and it was incredible, not just in terms of technical skill (which was mindblowing) but also in terms of the creativity of the story telling and the message

Loved it. Might have actually teared up a little at the end

kimeKristmas KthulhuHandsome CostanzaGoose!Neveron
    I was amused Barb apparently started a kerfuffle because he watched the end of the OoT run and cracked "oh so it turned into a worse game." When it got to breath of the wild.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean he's not wrong...

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    PreacherReynolds
    Sen also asked him why he doesn't like skyward sword and he said because he played it. Barb is a man of opinions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    kimeKnight_Mr Fuzzbutt
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can see it because SS and BotW are both fairly polarising, but the unconditional worship of OoT is a bit much sometimes.
    It was incredible for its time, but for people who come to it now the jankiness is a lot easier to see and harder to forgive.
    I grew up with it so I've got the nostalgia goggles, but it's equivalent to going back to Zelda 1 on the NES. I've made several attempts to beat that, but always found it too obtuse for me after playing games like LttP beforehand.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am totally willing to acknowledge I have a huge nostalgia bias for OoT and Majora, but compared to other contemporary games I ought to also have big nostalgia for, they stand out as holding up.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Duke 2.0
    My old man in me says Link to the Past as my favorite zelda

pleasepaypreacher.net
    MegaMan001Fig-DPemulisbwanie
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    my favorite zelda is probably wind waker

skyward sword is the worst and it's not close

the only game where you have to have like, one of those disorders that prevent short term memory from becoming long term memory to be able to enjoy it, because otherwise the endless prompts and reminders every time you boot the game again will make you go insane.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Preacher
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Favorite is still Zelda 2

And yes, I've played it recently on the Switch. Still love it.

A duck!kime
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Aside from the usual incoherent progression that's inherent with most NES games that don't have you just moving right, Zelda 2 has definitely gotten better with age.

A duck!jungleroomxNeveron
    Javen wrote: »
    Aside from the usual incoherent progression that's inherent with most NES games that don't have you just moving right, Zelda 2 has definitely gotten better with age.

The Nintendo Power progression bits are the biggest strike against it, but I have to be honest

We're so far past that mattering these days that it's no longer the massive negative it once was.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watching the FF6 Randomizer, never even heard of this before, but why are there no random enemy fights?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watching the FF6 Randomizer, never even heard of this before, but why are there no random enemy fights?

They have an accessory that prevents them set.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Okay...so uh, the first how many minutes of this is four people just walking around the map and not actually fighting enemies?

Polaritie wrote: »

Okay...so uh, the first how many minutes of this is four people just walking around the map and not actually fighting enemies?

A fair bit. I can't say I really cared for the run - it was just fishing for OP equipment from chests with encounters off for a lot of it. Random boss fights... after they'd already found silly items. Etc.

cj iwakura
    edited July 2022
    Yeah I think this is pretty uninteresting. Going to move around to Tunic.

Actually skipping Tunic as well cause I'd like to actually experience it without knowing anything.

This Metroid Kaizo stuff seems insane.

MegaMan001 on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

Actually skipping Tunic as well cause I'd like to actually experience it without knowing anything.

Ratchet and Clank run is pure chaos with a fun runner and couch, I highly recommend it for a good time.

Knight_Kristmas Kthulhu
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

I thought Kaizo Metroid was extremely tedious. Don't get me wrong, what he was doing took impressive skill. Just...it was extremely slow paced most of the time. Repeating uninteresting areas, annoyingly long enemy kill times...I dunno, I wasn't feeling this one at all, and I love Super Metroid runs, including whatever the harder one they did last time (I think?) was.

Super loved the Mario Maker Relay, those are always great. Pretty surprised how fast they flew through it this time

Kristmas Kthulhu
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Kaizo Metroid hurt me to watch because my butt was clenched the whole way through lol
    It was very entertaining though

BahamutZERO.gif
    jungleroomxMunkus Beaver
    Kaizo Metroid hurt me to watch because my butt was clenched the whole way through lol
    It was very entertaining though

I don't think I breathed more than 3 times during that section where he had to space jump through spikes.

BahamutZERO
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Just be like me and dislike all of Zelda equally!

Preacher
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Kaizo Metroid is neat, but it’s a fair criticism that the middle chunk has a lotta backtracking. Especially the mandatory picking up of almost every missile upgrade.

The runner Oatsngoats doing a stream reviewing the run to call out and ban anti mask weirdos from his chat

VRXwDW7.png
    NeveronMidniteMunkus BeaverBahamutZERO
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Flame Fatales schedule is up: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/40

BahamutZEROL Ron Howardfacetious
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Flame Fatales schedule is up: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/40

The last run each day has some fun categories.

There's some very cool runs there. I had no idea Ghostbusters was on the Commodore 64

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I am excited for anything involving the Commodore 64.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Reynolds

The thread basically equates to: Fuck Florida

A mix of the cautionary steps taken at SGDQ being legally unallowed in Florida, and the fact that the state hates acknowledging the existence of anyone LGBTQ+, ensured that any event held in Florida is not going to be safe. It's really shitty that they're having to take a bath in regards to the contract, too.

I assumed the only real possibilities due to contracts was Florida or online and I am not surprised they came down on the online side.

BahamutZEROPolaritieCurly_BraceL Ron HowardshoeboxjeddyMunkus BeaverMidniteH0b0man
    yeah they go into that in the thread, the cost of both backing out of the contract in florida, and negotiating a new one somewhere else and having an in-person event would just be too much, in-person events being much more expensive, for obvious reasons

edited September 2022
    Sorry, I should have put more context in my post. Prior to this announcement, with SGDQ not giving a location and it being early September with no ADGQ announcement, I had always assumed GDQ was between a rock and a hard place with their Florida contract. The thread confirms that.

Anyway, time to warm up for another hosting audition.

Baidol on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Would love to see someone in the games industry step in and donate the cost of the contract cancellation. I know its not going to happen, but that's an easy PR win

kime
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    My guess is that even if they did, it’s too late to set up a new location in the next 3-4 months.

Polaritie
    Good on them for putting people before money.

Curly_BraceL Ron HowardkimeshoeboxjeddyCrippl3Reynoldsff7007BahamutZEROMunkus BeaverMidniteChallGimjungleroomxH0b0man
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

the fact that the state hates acknowledging the existence of anyone LGBTQ+

For the record, as the resident Floridian, that is not true of the entire state.

y3H3Fa4.png