Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Awesome Games Done Quick 2019: NEW RECORD

123578

Posts

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Luck manipulation for souls and final armor is hilarious.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Handheld-era Castlevanias have such great spritework.

    That gets animation cancelled 10 times a second in this run.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I love how TASbot got the Black Panther soul, which allows for extremely fast running, and never bothers to put it on, because it can do better.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    kimePolaritiecB557
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not feeling this TASbot thing so far. Whenever they do custom ROM hacks I'm just like... lost. Like okay it zips fast but how is that special?

    It's honestly not my favorite either, I like seeing humans run. But I'm glad a lot of people seem to really like it at least.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    I helped with the surge to get the donation incentive for Vivi and Quina's wedding in FF9! We got it with minutes or less to spare after raising 40k, with at least 21k of that in an hour or so? The runners and couch are going to voice act the cutscene, lol

    Rius on
    Wraith260Goose!kimecB557
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I liked the Mario + Portal TAS, though.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Wraith260
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I helped with the surge to get the donation incentive for Vivi and Quina's wedding in FF9! We got it with minutes or less to spare after raising 40k, with at least 21k of that in an hour or so? The runners and couch are going to voice act the cutscene, lol

    glad those got met. anything that gets the crowd hyped and feeling more generous is a good thing. and it looks like they've met every incentive so far which is awesome. still a few left to go but feeling confident they'll hit those too.

    also the total is currently sitting at just over $1,295,000, which is just $1M shy of last years total. seem to be pacing a bit quick than last year too and we're gearing up for the final 12 hours when things get really wild. was starting to think that $2.2M was gonna be the ceiling on what these events can raise* but starting to think there's still a bit of room for them to push even higher.

    *not a criticism, any money raised is great and the GDQ events have shown just how staggeringly generous folks can be.

  • StericaSterica Wow! That was shit.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, AGDQ 2019 is coming to a close. Don’t forget to get your donations in if you want the grand prize entry, and also to buy any AGDQ merch from Yetee or Fangamer since a lot of it is only on sale during the marathon. Also, start compiling recommendations for the OP.

    Enjoy the remaining runs!

    YL9WnCY.png
    cB557Wraith260RiusNightslyrIanatorZilla360
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I don't get the appeal of these punishing indie bullet hell platformers. They're boring to watch.

    Jump jump die restart.
    Jump die restart.
    Jump jump jump die restart.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    HenroidPolaritieLilnoobs
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Some people value precision.

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    cB557Kai_San
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Some people value precision.
    Precision is awesome and all but the rate of restarts after minutes of investment is ridiculous.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    NightslyrStormwatcher
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Some people value precision.
    Precision is awesome and all but the rate of restarts after minutes of investment is ridiculous.

    Not everything hits for everyone

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    IanatorcB557Kai_SanGONG-00TeeManForarKetBra
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    That's a terrible, terrible game for afternoon last day. really ground the momentum to a halt.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    NightslyrHenroidPolaritie
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    That run REALLY should have been in Awful Block, not one of the capstone runs for the entire event. What an embarrassment.

    EDIT: To clarify, when your speedrun of a game requires the use of hacked saves to complete anywhere close to your estimate, is it really a speedrun at that point?

    MechMantis on
    UA1OmVB.png
    NightslyrStormwatcher
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I can sort of get games like Celeste, Super Meat Boy, The End Is Nigh, etc. because there's generally some feeling of flow, and there's enough interesting elements and production value to make watching them pleasing, even if I'm 100% certain I'd never enjoy playing the game.

    But games like this are just overly tedious to watch. And, I don't equate precision with routinely dying and being 13 and a half minutes over estimate.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    Stormwatcher
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    They jumped to the next segment ASAP, barely had a break time.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Nightslyr
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    The biggest difference is how the games telegraph the danger. It's not about dying in one hit, it's that there's lots of frame-perfect execution that isn't a speed run skip, it's that the game will just throw a "HAHA FUCK YOU" hazard in your way without it being telegraphed at all; so you only know to dodge it after having been fucked over by it.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I was out grocery shopping, but the LTTP couch started making fun of the previous run within 30 seconds, so that really must have been a clusterfuck.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    kime
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The only reason they completed it, enlightenedbum, was due to them having hacked saves that allowed them to skip entire sections of the game.

    It was also revealed that they had an entire folder of these saves.

    And even with these they still finished thirteen minutes over estimate.

    UA1OmVB.png
    Nightslyr
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I feel like every marathon they have one of these "I Wanna Be the Whatever" masocore platformer runs and they never go well.

    Nightslyr
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I was out grocery shopping, but the LTTP couch started making fun of the previous run within 30 seconds, so that really must have been a clusterfuck.

    nah, was more a joke about going from a run where a high death count is expected to one where they want to avoid any deaths if they can.

    cB557
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The only reason they completed it, enlightenedbum, was due to them having hacked saves that allowed them to skip entire sections of the game.

    It was also revealed that they had an entire folder of these saves.

    And even with these they still finished thirteen minutes over estimate.

    Wow, I wasn't aware of that (had AGDQ in another tab, waiting for the pain to be over).

    That's just... wow.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    See, beating LTTP in 1h55m with one kit KO is exciting, dangerous. Not a bunch of haphazard spikes vomited on the screen.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    NightslyrSprout
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Watching people play this game with a sword from the start seems weird now.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    ZetxNightslyrHenroidWraith260MechMantisJavenVishNub
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The only reason they completed it, enlightenedbum, was due to them having hacked saves that allowed them to skip entire sections of the game.

    It was also revealed that they had an entire folder of these saves.

    And even with these they still finished thirteen minutes over estimate.

    Wow, I wasn't aware of that (had AGDQ in another tab, waiting for the pain to be over).

    That's just... wow.

    To make it even better, the runner complained, live, that he couldn't find the right hacked save from the folder to use. "why isn't this just at the top?"

    Embarrassment.

    UA1OmVB.png
    Nightslyr
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I feel like every marathon they have one of these "I Wanna Be the Whatever" masocore platformer runs and they never go well.

    The i wanna be the boshy run a few years back was fine.

    But sometimes they choose weirdly unsafe runs for marathons.

    StormwatcherReynolds
  • ZetxZetx Part-time Lurker, Fixer Registered User regular
    Watching people play this game with a sword from the start seems weird now.

    I've never seen this routing before.

    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Watching people play this game with a sword from the start seems weird now.
    I was trying to put my finger on why this LTTP run seemed so weird, and this is it. I've been watching WAY too much randomizer apparently.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Preacher
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Huh, even with torch glitch is master sword silverless without half magic or a bottle even possible?

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I liked playing IWBTG back in the day because it was, at the time, a unique thing to me. And I felt that the difficulty, while extreme, wasn’t bullshit; there was always a way to get through a challenge, even if on a first attempt it was obscured. I sort of feel like that game used unpredictable kills for comedy. The fruit suddenly falling up, or the last spike wall on the first screen behaving opposite to the other three sets the tone for the rest of the game. The first time I went into that one fan tunnel to hit a switch, only for Ryu to jump in out of nowhere with a Tatsumaki, I laughed out loud.

    That’s certainly not a design philosophy that works all the time. I appreciate games like Celeste for always showing you what you’re dealing with, and not changing the rules for a laugh.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    StormwatcherForarRius
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That was worse than Blind's puns in the rando.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I liked playing IWBTG back in the day because it was, at the time, a unique thing to me. And I felt that the difficulty, while extreme, wasn’t bullshit; there was always a way to get through a challenge, even if on a first attempt it was obscured. I sort of feel like that game used unpredictable kills for comedy. The fruit suddenly falling up, or the last spike wall on the first screen behaving opposite to the other three sets the tone for the rest of the game. The first time I went into that one fan tunnel to hit a switch, only for Ryu to jump in out of nowhere with a Tatsumaki, I laughed out loud.

    That’s certainly not a design philosophy that works all the time. I appreciate games like Celeste for always showing you what you’re dealing with, and not changing the rules for a laugh.

    IWBTG and Boshy are like Super Mario World or Celeste compared to the horrible fan game they played. It was a bunch of screens from other fan games clumped together.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The thing is, these games aren't for everyone but some people do appreciate them. It's one of those things you really shouldn't try to rationalize.

    I found the run exciting. Not knowing if he was even going to succeed made it more interesting. And he did come pretty damn close to actually getting the boss for real.

    I do agree though that is a rough thing to be doing for a speedrun though. It really... isn't a speedrun. The only speed aspect is that he can complete it at all in a reasonable time.

    That game in particular though... is kind of a challenge from the masters of IWBTG to each other. Not really made for normal consumption I guess.

    cB557
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It shouldn't be in this timeslot, though. Today is prime time.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    NightslyrPolaritieKai_San
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    Wow that LttP run was bonkers.

    Wraith260NightslyrJavenPolaritieSprout
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That was a crazy LttP run and worth watching. "Anything kills you" makes for a great showcase of someone showing off complete mastery.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Wraith260
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

    they made about $100K during the LttP run alone and things don't seem to be slowing down at this point.

  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

    they made about $100K during the LttP run alone and things don't seem to be slowing down at this point.

    They did like another 10k just during the interview.

    Wraith260
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

    they made about $100K during the LttP run alone and things don't seem to be slowing down at this point.

    They did like another 10k just during the interview.

    yeah the last 12 hours or so of these marathons is when donations get really crazy and we entered into that phase at the start of the LttP run. things had been pretty steady leading into that but we've seen a sharp and steady increase that will hopefully take us through till the end.

Sign In or Register to comment.