As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched the full run yet, but I think most of the game is heavily RNG reliant so I would assume it was that. Elmagus, another runner of FF9 and various other RPG games, said that Luz's previous WR run had some godly encounter luck/RNG, so he must've gotten that once more.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    My favorite run ever so far is watching Carcinogen just absolutely beat the crap out of Resident Evil 7 from a few GDQs again. Just absolute mastery of game being displayed there.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda didn't realize how big a deal he was until this year; I'm not super deep into the speed running scene, so for me he was just "oh yeah, that good guy with a sharp sense of humor and a party host's instincts". This year, it clicked how much of him I see and how good at this he actually is.

Is there an easy way to find which one's he's run/hosted? I find him that engaging i'd actually like to watch more stuff that he's done! (Also the audience's confusion on MOOON, ORB, etc during Odyssey was great)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I did catch him on twitch doing a complete blind run of Dark Souls 1, if that sounds interesting to you. I don't know if he continued that.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have been binge watching the YouTube videos and my recommendation for absolutely everyone is the DKC tropical freeze race. The commentary is good, the humor is good, the race is very well executed, and as if he needed to be more awesome Spike Vegeta is one of th racers and manages to give commentary on the other players screens while playing. Just a great race all around.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda didn't realize how big a deal he was until this year; I'm not super deep into the speed running scene, so for me he was just "oh yeah, that good guy with a sharp sense of humor and a party host's instincts". This year, it clicked how much of him I see and how good at this he actually is.

Is there an easy way to find which one's he's run/hosted? I find him that engaging i'd actually like to watch more stuff that he's done! (Also the audience's confusion on MOOON, ORB, etc during Odyssey was great)
    In the reddit thread with links to the VODs (https://reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/ad3lp0/agdq_vod_thread_2019/), people say that he was on the couch for Sonic Mania Plus, Super Mario Odyssey, Dead Cells, and Rayman 2; I checked those and can confirm that he was on the couch for those. Don't know if he was on any others.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    What was the origin of the orb thing?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    VishNub wrote: »
    What was the origin of the orb thing?

Originially it's from the Super Mario World Ghost Ship. Crowd always yells orb when the runner gets it. And... it kind of got out of hand.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    orb

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    orb
    Moooooooon!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    CLOUD

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I mentioned Speedrunning Underground before (I dunno if it was this thread or the SE++ one) but tonight's race has a couple neat ideas tied to it that can be applied to future GDQ races. They're racing Super Mario 64, and the category is 70 stars + incentive.

Idea 1: The Incentive is that as more bits are cheered, that increases how many stars they have to gather. Now, while they're giving the winner the money the bits earn, for GDQ it would just go into the charity pot. But extending a race by increasing the stars needed while it's ongoing is a really neat thing I think, and the cutoff time would be like when someone is a couple stars away from finishing whatever the current amount is. Prevents sniping and such.

Idea 2: Apparently they're looping through the game multiple times, and spike & Hobz are referring to it as laps. Which gave me the idea that, for shorter games, maybe they should be raced in laps. It tests consistency of skill and eliminates a race merely being won over a single mistake / bad luck incident. This doesn't work for every game raced at GDQ but should be taken into consideration. Right now as this race has gone, the lead has changed a LOT and the gap has never been too far and each racer has had their turn to fall back and catch up again.

Edit - In other words instead of a single sprint style race, you can make it NASCAR Mario Kart.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Holy shit, the multi-lap idea was impromptu. It was 70 stars + 1 star per 500 bits cheered. They reached 120 so fast that the runners agreed to do a 2nd lap of the game. Which then filled to 120 again, so the third lap (that's about to start) was agreed to be capped at 16 stars. Godfucking damn.

Edit - They're about to hit 100k bits raised and spike just said the winner isn't just getting the money in this case, he's giving the other racer part of the money too. Goddamn!

Henroid on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Mario All-Stars "All Four" Warpless 4-man race going on.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Apparently some of the GDQ folks do a speedrunning podcast, and they did an episode about last GDQ and talk a lot about behind the scenes stuff, and what it's like going to an event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOQK6x5Sr4M

• Options
    Tonight, I think in about 6 hours, the first round of info / dates related to SGDQ will be posted on the GDQ website. The deadlines involved won't be for another few weeks, according to the Twitter account.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

RPG Limit Break's game list comes out in 9 days.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Speaking of RPGLB, their twitch channel is hosting RPGBlitz a marathon for "shorter" RPG runs (about the length of a feature film the intro host said):

https://horaro.org/rpgblitz/2019

There's the schedule, and they're starting now with Illusion of Gaia

EDIT:

Oh hey, side note: Big Jon is hosting his own marathon this weekend, Nothing But Sonic & Mario, which is raising money for Child's Play:

https://horaro.org/nothin/schedule

Goose! on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tonight, I think in about 6 hours, the first round of info / dates related to SGDQ will be posted on the GDQ website. The deadlines involved won't be for another few weeks, according to the Twitter account.

Upcoming SGDQ2019 Dates

All deadlines end at 11:59PM Pacific Time unless otherwise specified.

Game Submissions
    Feb 23 — March 6

On-site Volunteer Submissions
    Feb 23 — March 6
    Selections: March 27
    Schedule: April 30

Game List & Schedule Release
    List: March 27
    Schedule: April 14

Prize Submissions
    March 27 — June 9

Attendee Registration/Refund
    Attendance Guide goes live 2 hours before Wave 1.
    Wave 1 Registration: March 28 @ 6PM Pacific Time
    Wave 2 Registration: March 31 @ 11AM Pacific Time
    Registration/Refund Deadline: May 27

Panel Submissions
    April 21 — May 1

Off-site Volunteer Submissions
    May 19 — 29

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

March 28th, 6 PM pacific for the first wave of registrations.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Got one of two of the shirts I ordered, and damn it's nice. I was worried that it was going to be too tight but nope, just fine.

JdPKpDb.jpg

This will help me get over the giant burn hole I accidentally put in my SGDQ '18 shirt.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I reeeeeally wish I could order those shirts.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Andy vs. Thalane for the LTTPR fall tournament title.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Spoilers (gonna edit to add stuff) :
    10-man Final Fantasy X run got accepted hell yes. Each runner gets an hour.

EDIT: Bubbles got both Skyrim and Oblivion accepted, neat. Also SMRPG 100%!

Goose! on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the Vagrant Story run. Also, VS really needs to come to the Switch. Also #2 - no Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (from what I can see) makes me sad.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Some good stuff in there :)

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Darn! The RPG Limit Break schedule looks amazing this year, but I won't be off to watch most of it live.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm very intrigued by this item on the schedule:
    Game: Dungeons & Dragons 5e
    Estimated time: 05:00
    Player(s): Zephyyr & Friends
    Platform: Paper
    Category: TPK%

I guess it'll be 4 hours and 59 minutes of elaborate character and backstory creation, and then the DM says "Rock falls, everybody dies".

• Options
    They did that last year too, they try to make it through a whole module I think?

• Options
    @Delduwath They just started the D&D run 8 minutes ago if you are interested.

• Options
    @Goose! Thank you for the heads-up! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to watch it this evening. Is all that stuff gonna get archived as VODs somewhere, like for AGDQ?

• Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they have a YouTube channel

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    For those of you interested in speedruns with minimal glitches, the No Glitches Allowed marathon is starting today benefiting the Go Rescue Pet Adoption Center. It's a marathon for runs that are either glitchless or no major glitches.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
  • Options
    So SGDQ is coming up in a few months and they raise money for Doctors Without Borders (MSF). Today, MSF suspended operations in two ebola treatment centers in the Congo because they got attacked. No staff nor patients were injured, but still, the damage was done to force them to leave and it ceased any ability to provide further treatment anyway.

I dunno if the MSF representatives have ever talked about any particular ongoing event during GDQs, and I dunno if this will be brought up, but I mean... these people are brave as can be, trying to do really good work, and it's a miracle nobody got hurt this time.

• Options
    Keep a sharp eye out kiddos, the SGDQ 2019 games list is going up tonight (not to be confused with the schedule).