As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    The daily line up since, I dunno, mid-2020 has been stellar.

From the site:

Every Monday @ 7PM EDT - "Community Spotlight" (Suggest Game)
    Every other Tuesday @ 7:30PM - "Random Number Generation" (Randomizer Showcase)
    Every other Tuesday @ 8PM - "Time Capsule" (History of Speedrunning)
    Every other Wednesday @ 7PM - "Hotfix Gauntlet" (Speedrunning Skill Tournament)
    Every other Wednesday @ 7PM - "Mercy Kill" (Speedrunning First Playthroughs)
    Every Thursday @ 7PM - "The First Step" (Getting into Speedrunning)
    First Friday @ 8 PM - "Retro Reboot" (Games and their remakes)
    Second Friday @ 7PM - "Testing Grounds" (Speedrunning New Releases)
    Third Friday @ 7PM - "Game Masters" (Speedrunning Adjacent Content)
    Second to last Saturday @ 1PM - "Tina's RPG Show, I Guess?" (RPG Speedrun Tutorial)

But there's also "Super Boss Bros" on Fridays and "That's Never Happened Before" on Saturdays (both once a month as well I think, but dunno)

Basically every day there's something going on around 7pm EST, it's good times.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been a big fan of Mercy Kill and The First Step.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't think SMB1 is a very entertaining speedrun, and I'm pretty sure SM35 was included because it's going away in a few months. A relay is pretty much the only way you do something like that, though.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of Mercy Kill and The First Step.

Both very good and I would put Super Boss Bros up there too. The games the contestants are randomly made to play are often brutal.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't think SMB1 is a very entertaining speedrun, and I'm pretty sure SM35 was included because it's going away in a few months. A relay is pretty much the only way you do something like that, though.

SMB1 is a solved game down to the hundreths of a second.

Yeah there's a reason that game doesn't get run anymore.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah; SMB35 will never return to GDQ because Nintendo is going to murder the game in March.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    because fuck us

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It got 2 new WRs in the past year.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Were they from new discoveries or just better execution?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tcheldor wrote: »

All of the Top 10 SMB1 speedruns are within the same .6 seconds.

nehz6ypctfak.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As "solved" as Super Mario Bros is as a speed run, you're kinda underestimating the execution aspect of this. They don't play it once and go "okay there's my run look how perfect it is." Those submissions usually happen with multiple attempts ahead of and behind them. Mistakes happen frequently, resets happen frequently.

That said, SMB is an extremely short speed run and would probably best fit being part of a relay race.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I know they've done a full relay of the NES games. I was thinking it would be neat to see a console spanning relay (SMB, SMW, 64, etc) but I have no idea what categories you'd use because just doing an any% setup results in those 3 all being very short, and then Sunshine actually takes time to clear.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I know they've done a full relay of the NES games. I was thinking it would be neat to see a console spanning relay (SMB, SMW, 64, etc) but I have no idea what categories you'd use because just doing an any% setup results in those 3 all being very short, and then Sunshine actually takes time to clear.

There was an NES + Mario World relay at some point yes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I forget which show it was on but recently they did a race of all 11 classic Mega Man games + Rockman and Forte.

It was awesome. I had been wanting to see something like that for years.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I watched a vid on SMB1 and while it is mostly solved, the execution needed for the times is freaking unreal.

I think they pretty much compare times to the absolute best possible TAS. People are actually approaching that.

It isn't going to blow people away with its "I never knew that" stuff since its been known now, but to see someone do live what is needed in it would be insane. Particularly 4-2.

Or you know, just make someone do it blindfolded.

• Options
    Speaking of Mario, Mitchflowerpower is doing his Mariothon thing this weekend, having just started a couple hours ago. If you guessed, he plays through a ton of Mario games. I'm not sure if this is a just-for-him sort of thing or if it benefits something. As of this post he's already done with SMB1 and is on SMB2 (Japanese) world 7. Next game up is SMB2 USA.

• Options
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I forget which show it was on but recently they did a race of all 11 classic Mega Man games + Rockman and Forte.

It was awesome. I had been wanting to see something like that for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrvhU4kK4VM

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh my god that Megaman video could kill me. I have to watch.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    7.5 hours? That's longer than the marathoning the star wars ot.

NES Megaman games were the first games I remember watching speed runs of. Definitely need to bookmark that video.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    As "solved" as Super Mario Bros is as a speed run, you're kinda underestimating the execution aspect of this. They don't play it once and go "okay there's my run look how perfect it is." Those submissions usually happen with multiple attempts ahead of and behind them. Mistakes happen frequently, resets happen frequently.

That said, SMB is an extremely short speed run and would probably best fit being part of a relay race.

Yeah, SMB is 100% a game that probably takes dozens upon dozens of hours to even land on the scoreboard now.

And while it's a precision and execution based run that takes unreal skill, it doesn't mean that makes it a good stand-alone speedrun for something like AGDQ, which is more exhibitionist and fun.

• Options

Yeah, SMB is 100% a game that probably takes dozens upon dozens of hours to even land on the scoreboard now.

And while it's a precision and execution based run that takes unreal skill, it doesn't mean that makes it a good stand-alone speedrun for something like AGDQ, which is more exhibitionist and fun.

See: Buster only OHKO Megaman. That was a good watch.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

See: Buster only OHKO Megaman. That was a good watch.

2 person blind-folded Mike Tysons Punchout.

• Options
    I noticed a good number of the AGDQ 2021 vods on Youtube seem to be private. I can only watch them on Twitch. Is there a story behind that?

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I noticed a good number of the AGDQ 2021 vods on Youtube seem to be private. I can only watch them on Twitch. Is there a story behind that?

Do you have a specific example? They all appear to be available still to me on youtube.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    IIRC they had to re-upload some of the videos. Perhaps the vod site is linking to the old videos?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Qanamil wrote: »
    forty wrote: »

Do you have a specific example? They all appear to be available still to me on youtube.
    Taz-mania, Startropics, Sonic 2006, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Diablo 3. That was just from clicking a few. I'm sure there are a lot more.
    Megafrost wrote: »
    IIRC they had to re-upload some of the videos. Perhaps the vod site is linking to the old videos?
    Ah, that's a bummer.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, must've been reupload or something--they work on the youtube channel (well I only checked Taz and Startropics)

the direct playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87Un2H1OomVmBvIofckFPNdy

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Very important tweet from GDQ:

It's an image embed with a lot of text but the short of it is, they're donating a lot of money related to countering the recent influx of violence toward Asian Americans.

• Options
  • Options
    Paper Mario Stop n Swop %.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Quite a few games on there I'm interested in.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I didn't realize how competitive the submissions process was. SGDQ has 163 hours of runs planned, with 5 hours of bonus runs and 55 hours of backup runs accepted. They rejected 3026 hours worth of submissions :eek:

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I didn't realize how competitive the submissions process was. SGDQ has 163 hours of runs planned, with 5 hours of bonus runs and 55 hours of backup runs accepted. They rejected 3026 hours worth of submissions :eek:

Since the 'cost' is lowered substantially for runners when the events are online compared to a live event, especially for runners outside the US, it wouldn't surprise me if total submissions are up as a result; not to mention the fact that Games Done Quick as an organization has never really peaked, and keeps growing.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah when it's an in person event I bet they get way less submissions

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Do you like JRPGs? Do you like speedruns? Do you like races? Do you like speedrun relay races of long JRPGs? Well you're in luck! RPG Limit Break's 6th annual Final Fantasy Series Relay is live! 3 teams compete across 18 games of the FF series. Event details: http://bombch.us/DQeE

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    FYI they're on the last game, FF9, and there's less than a minute between first and second, while 3rd is only 8 minutes behind

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    FYI they're on the last game, FF9, and there's less than a minute between first and second, while 3rd is only 8 minutes behind

Thats some serious catching up, third was like 50 minutes back at FFCC.

I love that this race hit the good spinoffs (after CC was WoFF)

• Options
    edited June 2021
    More! RPG! Speedruns!

https://horaro.org/qfg4/schedule

Questing for Glory 4 is a showcase of a variety of RPG speedruns starting today with Final Fantasy Tactics any% no math.

Goose! on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Some of these battles are really fun to watch :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics has long been a favorite of mine. So many delightful ways to break the game.

steam_sig.png