Options

Fix your interior!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Vivienne and I just Marie Kono'd our clothes.

I have filled up three large green bags for donations have majority filled up our 240L bin and have around four more smaller bin bags to go.

We have reclaimed a lot of storage space.

Do you recommend a book or an article for Marie Kondo?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yes.

I call it Netflix.

• Options
    I didn't realize she had a show, I will check it out

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I KonMari’d my clothes as well, although I didn’t really have a ton of clothes. It’s always nice to finally let go of a piece of clothing that you probably won’t wear again or is just plain old.

I might go through my kitchen stuff next. I don’t think my kitchen is an efficient as it could be.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    [edit] I guess this thread is more for cleaning/decorating, I'll put this in the House thread instead :P

[actual edit] WHOOPS that wasn't the Edit button, it was the New Post. I'm very smart

NightDragon on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Temperature control is pretty essential to a good interior, too!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I KonMari’d my clothes as well, although I didn’t really have a ton of clothes. It’s always nice to finally let go of a piece of clothing that you probably won’t wear again or is just plain old.

I might go through my kitchen stuff next. I don’t think my kitchen is an efficient as it could be.
    Neither is our kitchen... it’s not a bad size but between accessories and containers we have, like, one cupboard for food!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I dunno what a KonMari is, I guess it's a name for something Marie Kondo came up with? She's fucking EXPLODED all over my facebook feed in the last 36 hours or so, good on her for getting some success and recognition. I need to get rid of a bunch of unused stuff, but I'm gonna do it the old-fashioned way and just donate what I can and recycle/throw out what I can't.

• Options
    Okay I have a real post for this thread now, because I just caught this tiny, 1.5" Sneaky Friend who'd found a way into my apartment, right before I was planning on getting the vacuum out and going over the whole floor.

Sneaky Friend has been safely tossed into some bushes outside.

fcce29gywe0c.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2019
    Awwwwwwwwww

tynic on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Sneaky Friend is now Sneaky Enemy!

• Options
    I had plans today but I made the mistake a few days ago of mentioning that the outside of the house could use a good decobwebbing so guess what I spent the morning doing

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I had plans today but I made the mistake a few days ago of mentioning that the outside of the house could use a good decobwebbing so guess what I spent the morning doing

Laying in the sun drinking wine?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I will save you the trouble

Organize your stuff and toss the stuff you don't really use or want.

I've watched 4 episodes now and that's the entire thing

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Well, that isn't the point otherwise everyone would have done that already.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »

Well, that isn't the point otherwise everyone would have done that already.

unless the other episodes are different from the 4 I watched =p

oh, I guess you also have to thank your house before you start

Xaquin on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    get a lot of small boxes to put in everything (drawers, cupboards, anywhere a small box can fit)

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    That seems like a really unnecessary rude take, @Xaquin

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    As a person who is relatively tidy and organised by nature, I fail to see any appeal in anything I've heard about Marie Kondo and some of the more outlandish stuff sounds like it veers towards being counter helpful, but it seems you can just kind of skip past the parts that don't work for you and keep to the core message.

But this is all hearsay, as I never read or watched anything directly from her, only secondhand reactions to it.

What I will say is my wife is not a naturally tidy and organised person and she started on the decluttering fad and Marie Kondo was one of her early reads and... She was okay? She's read a few different 'declutterer' writers and found much more connection and useful habits with Dana White from aslobcomesclean.com .

I haven't read her either. But as a tidy person who has had to live with an untidy person for years and years I will say I at least appreciate the change over the last year in my house and lifestyle.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Marie Kondo's approach is super easy to mock, and I have, but if it works for you that's cool. I kinda wish there were more emphasis on changing buying habits so your space doesn't fill with crap again.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Marie Kondo's approach is super easy to mock, and I have, but if it works for you that's cool. I kinda wish there were more emphasis on changing buying habits so your space doesn't fill with crap again.

I work in manufacturing so I've always tried to use the 5S method to tidy my house. It works pretty well and is very similar, though it values usefulness over emotional value.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I have one more pass of shredding to do, but I'm finally through organizing all my file boxes. My dining room table is clear once more!

All the 'definitely get rid of' clothes and books are boxed up, but now comes the longest part -- going through all the rooms and evaluating all the stuff + figuring out how I want to organize what I'm keeping. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    I can appreciate the give thanks to your home and this object you're discarding or donating thing with Marie Kondo, even if I don't really agree with it

I watched an episode of her show and flipped through her book today, and I don't think it's for me, I've downsized my possessions just about as far I can without living out of my car or something

• Options
    I think it really shines in getting a person to really dig in and touch all of their stuff. I'm certainly guilty of shoving something into the very back of the closet and just forgetting about it. Her method of doing one type of item at a time really helps focus an examination of the items a person owns instead of just cleaning up a room in a general sense.

Just another tool in the toolbox of keeping clean and tidy. I also really like Unfuck Your Habitat.

I'm going to attempt cleaning an oven for the first time in my life tomorrow evening. Should be an exciting experience.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I've purged my closet a couple of times over the last few years, and it always seems like it never actually empties. I mean, I don't actually add to it much either. I think I've bought a couple of sweatshirts in that time, like literally two, but nothing else really. The problem is that I still have clothing from when I lived at my parents' house. You know, before I left for college; so that's literally 20+ years of clothing in there.

On the upside I've gotten to the point that everything in my closet fits, except for a handful of things, but those get kept because of an emotional attachment. I'll still probably do another purge at some point this year anyway though. At least now I can devote one side of the closet to "Florida weather" and the other side to "Not-Florida weather".

sig.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I bought a new television and TV stand today.

The first show I am going to watch on it is probably going to be Marie Kondo's.

The irony is not lost on me.

(Though, to be fair, I had not owned a TV for a couple of years at this point so I was kind of overdue.)

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    A sustainability group down here put out an 'urgent advisory' for people who watched that show. They have a point, but it's a bit weeby.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    A sustainability group down here put out an 'urgent advisory' for people who watched that show. They have a point, but it's a bit weeby.

I think recycle your shit is a point worth making.

Tying it into mottainai is a fun way to keep in relevant to the show. Though, personally I most often heard mottainai in Japan being yelled out in anger when someone struck out in baseball when the bases were loaded.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The point is definitely worth making, but from what I'm told mottainai is a word they have, not some sort of special concept. Setting it up that way smacks a little bit of 'oh man japan is so culturally superior in every way sugoi!!1', but hey I'm probably overreacting there.

• Options
    A lot of the decluttering people already fetishize Japan (minimalist living spaces, etc) so they're probably just tying it into that.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm also in the boat of only having skimmed Kondo's methodology and having found it perhaps not useful for me. But I've also changed from an absolute fucking mess in my uni days to a borderline neat-freak as an adult. I honestly just... walked into a friend's apartment like eight years ago or so, on our way by in her neighborhood so she could grab something she'd left at home, and it was clean and tidy and welcoming, and I was like "I want a place where someone can drop by any time and I won't be horrified to have them come further than the entryway."

Moving regularly also helps refine that ability to just bin stuff, I find.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    pimento wrote: »
    The point is definitely worth making, but from what I'm told mottainai is a word they have, not some sort of special concept. Setting it up that way smacks a little bit of 'oh man japan is so culturally superior in every way sugoi!!1', but hey I'm probably overreacting there.

Eh, as someone who had to deal with Japanese exceptionalism being shoved in my face on a near daily basis for two years that article doesn't really smack of it to me personally. It just notes that their desire to have you recycle is similar to the concept of mottainai in Japan. It doesn't call it some uniquely Japanese or uniquely special thing.

• Options
    I mean, do don't think that article really needs to be said though? It's like obviously you try and recycle where necessary, but we also threw out a lot of stuff because those second hand stores also don't need shitty clothes with holes in them.

• Options
    My problem with moving regularly vs item accumulation (and this is partly an issue with not having a car) is that disposing of stuff properly takes a lot of effort. I try to be responsible and recycle/donate as much as possible if it's at all useable, but it's extremely hard to do that - let alone at the same time as moving house/country - without access to a vehicle. So there's always stuff that I don't really need/want, but I also don't want to just throw out, which gets tossed in a box because I think "eh, I'll figure it out at the other end" (spoiler: I usually don't).

I also have my kettle and toaster from the UK because they're good appliances, Bronk, and I decided to keep them in some kind of petty protest at the pathetic voltage output in the US. Three years later it's become a point of principle.

That said, the current place is pretty ordered except for the very small back room which has been designated for "laundry and shit I don't have time for", which is vaguely chaotic. I could probably stand to Kondo that room.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean, do don't think that article really needs to be said though? It's like obviously you try and recycle where necessary, but we also threw out a lot of stuff because those second hand stores also don't need shitty clothes with holes in them.

Not said to you guys, probably, but there's a LOT of people around who will literally toss everything in the general waste bin without making any effort. Or just throw it on the street and hope someone else picks it up (which is probably a bit better, as long as it's not literal trash, since people often do take things off the curb).

If you're already doing that stuff then that's great, the article is clearly not aimed at you, and I wouldn't take it personally.

edit: I have an excess of guilt when it comes to waste disposal and I even agonise about putting threadbare moth eaten clothing in the rubbish, because I know there are textile recycling spots. Which I can't get to, so I keep it all in a bag and get frustrated.

tynic on
  • Options

I mean, it sounds like that person's job is to help sustainability, so reminding people to consider their recycling options when there is a popular declutter movement going on just seems reasonable to me.

• Options
    Oh yea, gotta recycle or donate as much as is feasible. We're lucky around here to even have salvage places for large home supplies and like building materials and stuff. It's super nice.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    @Janson, i know it's not the tidiest look, but this goes back to how i'm fairly out of sight, out of mind:
    maybe leaving the closet door open would streamline using that space daily?
    opposite the front door, we have a little closet with folding doors. the doors are permanently open, and attached to them are two specialized straps which hold my nicer purses and some hats.

in the closet, i have plastic shelving and drawers for boots and heels, purses, and scrunchable outerwear. (since my last job (and most of my history) was food service, i have a small drawer just for dewrags.) it's also storage for shopping bags and random things like Master Chief's helmet (which displays one of my cowboy hats and greets visitors.)

between the closet and the door, there's a shoe rack and 2-cubby vertical shelf. the top cubby is just space for sunglasses, small umbrella, pad of paper & pen (the top surface has coin bowls and a tray for wallets and keys), and the bottom cubby has a basket of gloves, cowls, and knit hats.

i need to cull out much of the random detritus, and honestly, bags & heels, but it's nice having all the accessories in one spot. i don't wear shoes in the house, so grouping all the outside things by the door makes the most sense for me.

tynic wrote: »
    edit: I have an excess of guilt when it comes to waste disposal and I even agonise about putting threadbare moth eaten clothing in the rubbish, because I know there are textile recycling spots. Which I can't get to, so I keep it all in a bag and get frustrated.
    everything you said, but oh man, this. i have a plastic bag filled with threadbare socks and other holey textiles, all in excess of what i've saved for cleaning rags. i know there's a spot to recover them here, i just keep neglecting to take them wherever it is.

re:cycling
    it never hurts to inform people about recycling.
    recycling on a personal level is gaining saturation, while still not addressing systemic issues. like, Germans and Dutch i've known do it by default at this point and are horrified to discover it isn't universal in the States. their cities have made it fairly seamless (if fiddly) to do so, and it's become a cultural expectation, but even there, problems still exist.

for the unaware, it's not mandated here, and unsurprisingly, there is zero standardization for where it is adopted.
    the local government makes deals with vendors, which determine whether a given thing is recyclable, ie whether they can profit from selling it. (US vendors --and to varying degrees, this is also true of those in the EU and Australia and i'm sure elsewhere-- tend to minimally process goods and ship them off to other countries to actually get recycled. meaning sometimes they just stockpile the stuff for a better margin and stall the process because Fucking Capitalism, of course. and we have far too much supply. which is part of why China wants to get in on this economic opportunity and recycle their own goods, and so is recently much more stringent in buying other countrys' junk; good for them, but it means those other countries especially need to get their shit together. i digress.)

i'm lucky enough to live somewhere with recycling service. my city periodically sends out postcards specifying what can be recycled and how/where, partly because some people would rather just trash items they are unsure about. and then there are the ones who are carelessly throwing trash in with the recycling, and contaminating literal tons. i have had neighbors regularly throw trash into my recycling bin, which is part of why i hated them and occasionally put bags of dirty kitty litter in their trash -- a petty but harmless revenge.

some people have no clue or regard for what happens to stuff once they're done with it; at least there's a chance of teaching the former.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    SPCA is the place near me that takes clothes with holes in them that are too threadbare for passing on. Stressed dogs apparently go through a lot of bedding.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.