Options

Fix your interior!

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I just bought my first ever set of drill bits and I hung my new magnetic knife strip.

It's super handy.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just bought my first ever set of drill bits and I hung my new magnetic knife strip.

It's super handy.

Ooh I'd love to have a magnet knife rack. My best knives are loose in my cutlery drawer and that isn't a good way to care for knives.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Taya wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

It's super handy.

Ooh I'd love to have a magnet knife rack. My best knives are loose in my cutlery drawer and that isn't a good way to care for knives.

I've needed it for a while. I have two chefs knives that have been loose on my counter since I don't have the cupboard space since moving to a smaller space...

Uriel on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    No, I didn't stop organizing and cleaning thanks to watching GDQ and assembling my latest model, why do you ask?

*nervous collar-tug*

ahem... I vacuumed! Small deal, but kind of a big one too. I don't vacuum nearly enough as is, despite having a nice cleaner. I need to clean out the filters though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Hopefully soon I will have a new interior to fix up.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I don't know if I mentioned it but I just replaced the HEPA filter on our vacuum for the first time after having the vacuum for 5 years. Damn was that thing clogged. if you hold it up to the light it doesn't let any through, just black, versus the new one which glows faintly with a clean light.

Moral of the story is change your filters if you got things with filters.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Parents' Christmas gift to me was a cleaning service appointment. So now my apartment is dusted and dirt-free.

I mean sure, there's still junk all over the place, but it's in very well-stacked piles. That's the next thing on the list.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I change my vacuum filters every time I buy a new set of bags. There's about 6 bags to a set, which is about how often you should change. However, I've misplaced my filters several times and ended up buying an extra set I didn't need twice so I think I'm at the point now where I have more filters in the house than vacuum bags.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thankfully the filter in our Dyson is rinseable in the sink.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The bags for mine just come with filters, so easy peasy.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We have a magnetic knife strip and I love it, but it’s not big enough! It’s not actually that wide and only holds about 6 knives.

And @pooka I am going to give serious consideration to removing the door of the under-stair closet; I think that could possibly work to get people to use it!

• Options
    Thankfully the filter in our Dyson is rinseable in the sink.

Yea the intake filters are rinsable and good for around 6 months to a year. Our vacuum is a canister variety so no bags to change.

My wife was Vaccuming the other night and said her arm was sore afterwards due to the big increase in suction. The carpets certainly looked cleaner than they have been for a while.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Looking at a new interior tomorrow! It might be the one, and I am far too excited about it.

It's time to get rid of so much crap!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've been living in half-twilit halls for pretty much the entire winter because I've been too lazy/too embarrassed of my interior to call maintenance (they're those mini stage lights that I'm not sure I could replace myself even if I wanted to). Recently they sent out a note that the power company would be swinging by to replace all the bulbs with a newer kind, so I was like cool, I'll finally have light again. But they said they wouldn't get to my building until Monday.

That's the story of how I blinded myself today.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bah. The HEPA/post motor filter still feels wet, so I went looking for another one because I am really worried about mold now.

I went into a local vacuum shop.. and got an earful about how Shark doesn't sell their parts to retailers, and how everyone just wants disposable "as seen on TV" stuff and how he carries things made in the USA and such. I felt bad... wanted to support him, but... *sigh*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just saw someone post some fancy clothes folding techniques and some of them blew my mind. Now I'm going to take everything out of my dresser and refold it!

Also donate some of these old clothes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Ikea sells a magnetic knife strip that's pretty cheap and plenty long. We put one up and it's my favorite thing in the world, although I've seen magnetic knife blocks and I do love the way they look very much and will probably buy one at some point.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Ikea sells a magnetic knife strip that's pretty cheap and plenty long. We put one up and it's my favorite thing in the world, although I've seen magnetic knife blocks and I do love the way they look very much and will probably buy one at some point.

The problem with this kind (and any others that have metal that touches your knives) is that it'll cause the edges of your knives to get little micro chips. That's the main reason I sought out a magnetic wooden strip.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ideally I could find a magnetic knife strip strong enough to hold a knife from the tang, but I'll be damned if I'm going to find a single one that tells me what the magnets inside of it are rated for, weight wise.

• Options
    I'm going through more of my stuff, and man, my HS yearbooks are so unnecessarily heavy, good lord.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Ideally I could find a magnetic knife strip strong enough to hold a knife from the tang, but I'll be damned if I'm going to find a single one that tells me what the magnets inside of it are rated for, weight wise.

Sounds like something that could be a fun project to make yourself -find a friend with a router, source some neodymium magnets, construct a magnetic knife strip that can hold up a 9 inch cast iron skillet! Why do you want to hold the knives by the tang, though?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You'll also need to remember that magnet weight strength is at zero distance, so that wouldn't be terribly helpful data to just design off without adjustment.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    A lb rating would make them potentially liable for something dropping, and they don't want that or feel like adding all the definition of "proper use" to get close.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today I learned what a knife's tang was.

• Options
    I've cleaned like mad the last two weekends, and my apartment is finally returning to normalcy! Removed virtually all dog hair from a very furry guest, vacuumed everything laboriously, cleaned entire bathroom, put away old piles of clean clothes, did some more organizations stuff too. (I am in sore need of art-on-the-walls, I have a few things sitting in boxes that need framing, but framing is $$$ so that will be a long-term goal). I also cleaned all plant trays, turned all plants [that needed turning], and trimmed brown tips/yellowed foliage.

My typical way of using my dresser has been "throw all clothes-worn-once-but-can-be-reworn here" and that's...not looked great, also wrinkled the clothes, also it became a pile I just added to rather than sorted through regularly. I realized that I could hang those clothes up via some minimalist system instead, and they could all fit in that corner. I found a long coat hook on Amazon, and installed it this weekend. No more messy clothes pile! Yay!
    nmgn35bgp9n3.jpg

I enjoy playing with nail polish and I usually do my nails in front of the TV while I wait for things to dry, so I should keep my polish in the living room. I accepted the fact that "okayyy, yeah I have quite a few of these bottles now" and there was a better solution than hiding these all in a dark cabinet. I considered hanging this in my closet and not out in the open like this, but I also told myself this would be easiest and I can always move it if it looks too silly/child-rec-room.
    klsdnkts0pi6.jpg

• Options
    Your place is so stylish, as I would expect! That rug is fabulous; where did you find it?

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Your place is so stylish, as I would expect! That rug is fabulous; where did you find it?

haha thank you! This was the first time in my life that I felt like I could actually give my living space a "look" and style, and also the first time I could buy some long-term furniture; it's been very satisfying :biggrin:

I found the rug online, maybe Wayfair? It's available on multiple sites for sometimes-varying-amounts...it's not inexpensive, but compared to other rugs out there it's not awful. Comes in two other colors too!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

haha thank you! This was the first time in my life that I felt like I could actually give my living space a "look" and style, and also the first time I could buy some long-term furniture; it's been very satisfying :biggrin:

I found the rug online, maybe Wayfair? It's available on multiple sites for sometimes-varying-amounts...it's not inexpensive, but compared to other rugs out there it's not awful. Comes in two other colors too!

You should get some awesome nail art (yours or others) and hang it up around the bottles of polish.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My landlord is replacing my cabinet doors, so I spent last night and this morning panic cleaning. On one hand, my apartment hasn't looked so neat in months. On the other, it's mostly a lie - lots of things got stuffed into boxes and closets to be dealt with later. I did finally get my yarn stash organized and put away, though, and I shelved a lot of books and got rid of a lot of paper I didn't need; so at least that's something?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    @Janson I found a really cool rug you could get that would make Moriveth feel right at home.

• Options
    That is a pretty sweet rug!

• Options
    I don't know why you'd want a perfectly normal human themed rug, but you guys do you I guess

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Back from vacation and back into getting through the backlog of things to do around the house before having to return back to work. Today's job: the bedroom.
    New bed!

LnWDkAvh.jpg

Jen discovered some of her back pains went away when we were sleeping on a different mattress on holiday in August. A few different trials and pressure maps later, and she was ready to give our old mattress the toss - it probably had a couple more years in it, but who really wants to commit to a couple more years of back problems. Then we had both talked about it and decided we actually liked a Queen more than the King bed we were sleeping in. You sleep too far away from each other, so less snuggly, and it just takes up so much space in the room. With a new house move coming up, we thought we'd take the opportunity to save some space, save some money on future mattresses and linens by going back to a smaller bedframe size.

Also finally got up the dragon paintings we got in Japan 8 years ago. We saw them, loved them, commissioned a custom pair just for us, had them shipped and framed when we got back... then nothing. I offered to put them up wherever she wanted, but she always dithered and never followed through. Finally I spoke with her about it and she admitted she really wanted them up in the bedroom (we both did, as our bedroom is decorated in an Asian style) and wanted them over the bed, but she had this fear of them falling on our heads if there was an earthquake so has been leaving them beside the dresser for the better part of a decade while trying to reconcile her feelings about them. Apparently taking them out and looking at them again was enough to put her over the edge and allow me to put them up, if only until we move into the new house.

There's still a bunch of cardboard and plastic wrapping to throw out, and the new bed doesn't fit the underbed drawers in which we were keeping a number of items which will need to find new homes, and there's a king size mattress and bedframe that are being put up for online auction for the next week, but overall, it's been a fairly productive day.

Also the new bed is big and comfy and upholstered in a soft padded velvet that feels perfect for piling a bunch of pillows up on to laze and watch TV from, so that's my evening sorted, too.

Fishman on
  • Options
    It's a really old article, but Wirecutter has a section on picture frame hangers, and they recommend a type of safety hangar for high traffic areas or Earthquake prone areas. They are spring-loaded hooks. Maybe that would give your family piece of mind, @Fishman ?

• Options
    So what mattress did you get?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sorce wrote: »
    So what mattress did you get?

I have no idea. I'm not the one with the back problems, so I let her choose as I'm a back sleeper and it makes fuck all difference to me.

My job was disassembling the old bed, moving the mattresses, assembling the new bed, and putting everything in place.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Well, still hunting for the new interior to fix. So naturally, I have decided to drink tonight in order to prepare.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Anyone have good home office lighting tips? I find my eyes getting real tired, and I don't know how much of it is lighting related but it's a place I can start. Should the lighting be warm? Cool? Bright? Lit by the fires of hades?

Thanks, Tired Of Eyestrain.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I always do warm light when I can. Maybe you can look into uplighting? I find it diffuses the light more nicely than ceiling lights.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Bright lights are typically associated with being tiring.