Options

Fix your interior!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I couldn't find the house thread but I guess this replaces it these days?

Anyway, my toilet flush seal is leaking into the bowl. Now, I'm on a water meter and it doesn't make a big difference, but it needs fixing anyway and so I thought I'd see if I could do it myself like with the siphon and water intake.

It looks relatively simple (unscrew from wall and wingnuts, take off top, take out flusher, put in new flusher, replace seal, put back on) and it seems like parts are mostly standard issue in size, but has anyone done a flush replacement before and know if there are hidden complexities?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Last time I did that I struggled to find an actual seal and had to buy a new flushing assembly, but the only difficult thing about it was that it was ridiculously tight and difficult to get off.

• Options
    I'm replacing the whole flushing assembly since they don't cost a lot and I suspect that it could be the flushing assembly that's dodgy anyway, so I'll be getting both.

I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work I'll just get someone in but looks relatively easy.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Anyone have good home office lighting tips? I find my eyes getting real tired, and I don't know how much of it is lighting related but it's a place I can start. Should the lighting be warm? Cool? Bright? Lit by the fires of hades?

Thanks, Tired Of Eyestrain.

Also, you may want to look at something like f.lux to adjust your monitors, I find it helps a ton, especially for extended PC session.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Anyone have good home office lighting tips? I find my eyes getting real tired, and I don't know how much of it is lighting related but it's a place I can start. Should the lighting be warm? Cool? Bright? Lit by the fires of hades?

Also, you may want to look at something like f.lux to adjust your monitors, I find it helps a ton, especially for extended PC session.

This is all daytime stuff in my office when I'm working from home, but I do use the built in night time mode in Win10 for that. It is good, for sure.

• Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

This is all daytime stuff in my office when I'm working from home, but I do use the built in night time mode in Win10 for that. It is good, for sure.

You still might want to try it (it's super lightweight) as it adjusts the color scheme/etc to reduce eyestrain. I use it both at home and work.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    I'm going to give replacing it a go

Get the old man around for a second pair of hands

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My goals for today:

- transform the understairs storage closet into a cat paradise ahead of our cats’ anticipated return.
    - clean/organize the garage

I already changed the heater filter (it was pretty yucky!) and I should look into getting new lightbulbs for the upstairs hall.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Back in November I bought some fabric to make curtains for my kitchen and I finally got it made into curtains (by which I mean I gave the fabric to my mom and she gave it to her step-mom).

ZdOyL85.jpg
    1LsL73T.jpg

• Options
    That’s such a cute kitchen! Great choice of fabric, with that pop of red. :)

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I like your matching kitchen colors!

• Options
    I’m at the stage of reorganizing where I’ve mostly just made a really big mess.

Sigh.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm replacing the whole flushing assembly since they don't cost a lot and I suspect that it could be the flushing assembly that's dodgy anyway, so I'll be getting both.

I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work I'll just get someone in but looks relatively easy.

It seemed pretty straightforward when I had to do it a year or two ago.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I need a painting or something to go on that wall next to the Instant Pot. I was in Homesense once and saw a giant painting of a cow's face close up and foolishly didn't buy it. It would look great in my kitchen. Or I can paint something myself. Like a giant picture of ramen or a plate of donuts.

• Options
    Phew, I did a fair deal today... emptied several boxes, cleaned, organized (it may not look pretty but I do know where everything is!).

Understairs closet, before and after:
    2019-02-03%2021.29.22.jpg

I ordered a cat door, band saw and also a giant litter mat for putting underneath the litter boxes (the one in here is just temporary). The cats even have their own artwork! I’ll throw in a cat bed, then they should be pretty cozy. The dark, confined space should be soothing for getting acquainted with this house.

Garage:
    2019-02-03%2022.28.29.jpg

It’s a little more cluttered than I’d like but we could still get a car in if need be. I moved a lot of stuff into plastic boxes and swept the floor probably 20 times. And I do know where everything is!

2019-02-03%2022.28.43.jpg

On the right is a laaaarge pile of cardboard boxes (sans tape, so it can be recycled) for Mori to take to the recycling sometime, plus glass.

• Options
    I got the cat door installed!

2019-02-07%2021.27.49.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That is an adorable cat door.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You're supposed to install it on the bottom of the door, not the side...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's okay, cats don't obey gravity.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    zysomPt_d.jpg

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I need a painting or something to go on that wall next to the Instant Pot. I was in Homesense once and saw a giant painting of a cow's face close up and foolishly didn't buy it. It would look great in my kitchen. Or I can paint something myself. Like a giant picture of ramen or a plate of donuts.

one cool thing if you've got wholesale growers markets around is to buy a box of apples or oranges or eggplants or whatever and cut off the cheesey fruit illustrations to frame in re-purposed old picture frames from a thrift shop

...plus you get to eat an excessive amount of one thing

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Placement and combination of lights with natural daylight is important.

Genrally your workplace should be perpendicular to any windows, so the daylight coms from the side. adjustable louvres/blinds are very helpful to reduce direct light. Lighting fixturs should also come from the side, not the back or front. Your workplace should use mostly lightly coloured, but matte surfaces to reduce glare. Some light should go upt to the ceiling, too.

Over here guideline for computer workplace is about 500lx, Ra over 80, and light temperature of 4000k, if I remember correctly from the top of my head.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I got the cat door installed!

2019-02-07%2021.27.49.jpg

That cat ran into that door really really fast.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/-h1F93EJIds
    (fyi, there is no known official name for that sting beyond the 'Seven Note Vaudeville Fanfare 1.')

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've got these really non standard windows in my office/den that are really hard to find curtains for. I would just get normal curtains but there's a wall mounted furnace on one of them since this was an expansion on my house.

It is really annoying because I'd like some heavy curtains to block the cold and bring sunlight but all I've been able to do is get those blinds that you can cut to size and it doesn't work so great at what I want it to do.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The new interior is coming together, but the most impressive decoration is the large volume of broken down cardboard boxes in the middle of the apartment. That's a project for later today, but more importantly I got my Star Wars Lego out and ran the cat5 cable from the router in to my room.

Baby steps!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I've got these really non standard windows in my office/den that are really hard to find curtains for. I would just get normal curtains but there's a wall mounted furnace on one of them since this was an expansion on my house.

It is really annoying because I'd like some heavy curtains to block the cold and bring sunlight but all I've been able to do is get those blinds that you can cut to size and it doesn't work so great at what I want it to do.

A wall-mounted furnace?!

We have some awkward windows, including two sets of corner windows. I definitely hope to get curtains up by next winter; these blinds are useless in winter!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Janson wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

A wall-mounted furnace?!

We have some awkward windows, including two sets of corner windows. I definitely hope to get curtains up by next winter; these blinds are useless in winter!

Yeah it's kind of weird:

similar to this:

s-l225.jpg

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Welll I've been on holiday and ended up dropping an embarrassing-to-disclose amount of money on a tattoo deposit and membership to the American Dragons (one of the local expat outrigger canoe/dragonboating clubs). So getting my art framed has not happened this month and PROBABLY won't happen until March at the earliest, in all probability.

Instead, I bought two MORE things to hang on the wall! Good job, me!

yFOxdSz.jpg

Cheap copy of an old protest poster that I picked up in Saigon, which will prooobably go in the entryway by my snakes-and-flowers painting

ghrT7jp.jpg

Wooden toast buddy for the kitchen

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That is an amazing poster/print

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am into that nervous toast.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I am into that nervous toast.

You have a wife, save some of the honeys for everyone else, Mori.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    BACK OFF MY NERVOUS TOAST

But seriously it's from https://www.etsy.com/shop/tripperdungan

I bought one of his tapes for a friend for Christmas and it was adorable and I've been coveting his toast people since then

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I finally got all of the cardboard out of the apartment and hung some art last weekend! I wasn't being lazy on the cardboard thing, I swear! Due to all the snow we had pickup was delayed like crazy and all the bins had been full until recently.

There is still a bunch of stuff to unpack but it's starting to come together, slowly but surely.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    House guts thread, what are some good things to hang on my walls? I am a divorced dude living in a nice little house with many bare walls, and I would like to find things to hang upon them that make me seem classy. Mostly the people visiting me will be librarians over for dinner parties. So far my list of wall decorations consists of old maps and a whole string of question marks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    House guts thread, what are some good things to hang on my walls? I am a divorced dude living in a nice little house with many bare walls, and I would like to find things to hang upon them that make me seem classy. Mostly the people visiting me will be librarians over for dinner parties. So far my list of wall decorations consists of old maps and a whole string of question marks.

Find one of the old World Book sets that let you spell out Weird Cock, cut off their spines, and string them together as wall art.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I got rid of all of my old student art, which was very satisfying, so I kind of have the same problem. The exception is that I know what I want, but prints are either sold out or prohibitively spendy (right now).

My advice is to find stuff that is interesting to you that you want to be able to look at and think "yeah that's rad as hell" and not concern yourself with the opinions of others. They don't live there, you do. If someone looks at what you have hanging on your walls and decides they have to leave the party, they can fuck off.

• Options
    I agree with @Tonkka and I’ve actually received a fair few compliments over some of my wall art (namely the comic prints and a few original bird paintings). I do save the geekiest/fanart for my bedroom, though.

If you’re wanting something cheapish/easy to find, why not posters of your favourite cool/vintage book covers?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    go to the Paseo and browse!

alternately, go to the Paseo Art Fest and browse!

(or the downtown Festival of the Arts)
    ((or both))

alt-post i know some people what do art in the area, pm if you want deets!

lfchwLd.jpg