As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should you compleatly quit junk food?

Redchip26Redchip26 Registered User regular
Should you permanently quit junk food, or just have it every now and again? How often should you eat something unhealthy like some chocolate or something?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Chocolate itself isn't unhealthy. It's the sugar added to it to make the final product sweet.

I would try to limit junk food to once a week

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Also it depends on your workout levels and schedules.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yes, yes you should.

Yes I should as well.

You can get away with eating sweets but that is getting away with it. Exceptions are during intense activiety where the energy can immediately be used

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No. Fuck it. Junk food is delicious. I have so few things in life that make me happy, how dare you tell me to eat less chocolate?!?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You should give it all to me

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    We could all probably live a long heathy life eating low carb, low meat, no alcohol, very low sugar, mostly plant based diet. And exercising every day.

But at some point, and I say this with complete seriousness, not as a pithy jokey thing, at some point in this routine, what are you living for?

I say eat what you want as much as you are able without affecting your health more than you are willing. Understand the health effects of what you eat and make a conscious choice.

For most people, that means targeting a lifespan of 80-90 years. Keeping their saturated fat intake low enough so they don’t die of heart disease in their 50s, keeping their sugar intake low enough that they don’t develop type II diabetes, drinking a small enough amount that liver function stays normal. Working out and staying active so they can do all the a the activities they’d like to do. Visiting the doctor regularly enough to monitor all these things.

And otherwise indulging in all the great things life has to offer, like chocolate and chips and candy and cake and beer.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    All things in moderation.

Except when you have a Pizza Party, then gorge as god intended.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You should give it all to me

You might think this is dangerous, but don't worry. I have it on good authority if I eat all the junk food myself I'll ascend into some kind of Chaos-god higher form. Like Slaanesh, with chips.

Anyway, life is short, shitty, and unfair. The only morality is net human happiness. Literally eat Arbys.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it's your life, your body

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Not all things are good in moderation. If you are addicted to something maintaining a level of exposure could just lead to it getting worse. It's nice to enjoy a snack every now and then but it tends to ruin other healthier snacks. Like peanut butter and apples are a pretty filling snack and it can be pretty sweet but it's not nearly as sweet as a KitKat.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There's nothing inherently wrong with "junk food" as a yummy means to just treat yourself now and then. How dangerous or addictive it can be depends on the individual as with many of humanities pleasure based vices. You can be in shape and perfectly healthy and still eat junk food on occasion.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I have this problem where if I eliminate all junk food from my diet I don't have any food left.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Unhealthy food tends to be cheaper iirc, which has societal impacts.

On a personal level yeah it's absolutely should but won't (completely), because I'm going to indulge.

Also chocolate.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    There’s nothing wrong with just a little bit of junk food, you should definitely never binge on it or have meals revolve around it.

It’s actually really hard to quit for some people as the salt and sugar are very addictive. Humans evolved to crave the sugars and carbs since they are calorie heavy and our ancestors didn’t have a guaranteed meal like we do.

If you find it hard to stop cold turkey, it’s okay to have small amounts, just avoid the binge. Don’t stress if you fall back.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    We could all probably live a long heathy life eating low carb, low meat, no alcohol, very low sugar, mostly plant based diet. And exercising every day.

But at some point, and I say this with complete seriousness, not as a pithy jokey thing, at some point in this routine, what are you living for?

I say eat what you want as much as you are able without affecting your health more than you are willing. Understand the health effects of what you eat and make a conscious choice.

For most people, that means targeting a lifespan of 80-90 years. Keeping their saturated fat intake low enough so they don’t die of heart disease in their 50s, keeping their sugar intake low enough that they don’t develop type II diabetes, drinking a small enough amount that liver function stays normal. Working out and staying active so they can do all the a the activities they’d like to do. Visiting the doctor regularly enough to monitor all these things.

And otherwise indulging in all the great things life has to offer, like chocolate and chips and candy and cake and beer.

I'm 41 and by the time I'm 67 I expect the retirement age to be pushed back to 75 or more, and by the time I'm 75 it will be 80. So my retirement plan is to have a heart attack in my mid 70's and I feel that both the junk food and stress at work are well on their way to making that happen.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My approach has been "Less but better quality junk". Low-fat and low-sugar and any of that bullshit in desserts and the like are just you fooling yourself. Get something you can really enjoy and just have less or have it less often.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with it if you can eat it in moderation, same with sugar. But for some people it's addictive to the point you're better off going cold turkey and retraining your taste buds not to crave it anymore. Everyone is different.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I'm 41 and by the time I'm 67 I expect the retirement age to be pushed back to 75 or more, and by the time I'm 75 it will be 80. So my retirement plan is to have a heart attack in my mid 70's and I feel that both the junk food and stress at work are well on their way to making that happen.

The problem with that plan is that heart attacks tend to be survivable these days due to advances in medicine, but they leave you weakened and needing to take it easy.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I have cut down junk food almost completely in the last year or so

ill go to town on a bag of pretzels now and then

but im down 30 pounds so hey

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I cut out a lot of sugar in my diet.

And replaced it with artificial sweeteners that are probably worse.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

My method, at least with snacks/cakes etc, was to stop buying them at the store, and to make them myself.

While not the main reason, it does allow me to more finely control the amounts of sugar/fats in them. Also tastes better to be honest.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I recently decided to make some changes. I'm already in pretty good shape, but maaaaaan have I got a sweet tooth.

I've cut way back on carbs, cut out sugar as much as humanly possible (steak sauce = yes / gummy bears = no), and sticking to a diet that's full of meat and veggies.

I feel a lot better than a couple months ago. It takes monstrous willpower to cut down on fast food, as it's convenient and delicious, but I've lost a few extra pounds without really trying which is nice.

I get a cheat day every week where I eat something less than healthy in moderate proportions. Usually pizza, because it's the best food on earth.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Based on this thread and your previous thread I recommend doing some research into, and talking to a medical professional about, eating disorders
    Behavioral symptoms of anorexia may include attempts to lose weight by:

-Severely restricting food intake through dieting or fasting
    -Exercising excessively
    -Bingeing and self-induced vomiting to get rid of food, which may include the use of laxatives, enemas, diet aids or herbal products

Emotional and behavioral signs and symptoms may include:

-Preoccupation with food, which sometimes includes cooking elaborate meals for others but not eating them
    -Frequently skipping meals or refusing to eat
    -Denial of hunger or making excuses for not eating
    -Eating only a few certain "safe" foods, usually those low in fat and calories
    -Adopting rigid meal or eating rituals, such as spitting food out after chewing
    -Not wanting to eat in public
    -Lying about how much food has been eaten
    -Fear of gaining weight that may include repeated weighing or measuring the body
    -Frequent checking in the mirror for perceived flaws
    -Complaining about being fat or having parts of the body that are fat
    -Covering up in layers of clothing
    -Flat mood (lack of emotion)
    -Social withdrawal
    -Irritability
    -Insomnia
    -Reduced interest in sex

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anorexia-nervosa/symptoms-causes/syc-20353591

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I've made it a habit of letting myself eat whatever crazy ass foods I want, but just moderating how much I consume of them. Like, I'm not going to eat sugar free, fat free ice cream, screw that, it's gross. I'll eat Haagen Dazs, but I'll have a small scoop and I'm not having that every day. If I want a burger, I'll eat a real burger, but mostly I'll eat lean meats and vegetables.

I find it easier to meet my cravings half way. I'm never jonesing for something unhealthy, because i'm never at a point where i'm like OMIGOD I HAVEN'T EATEN A FRENCH FRY IN SIX MONTHS, MUST EAT ALL THE FRIES EVER.

Like was said above, if the only way to live to 100 is to give up everything good, fuck it, I'll just live to 80 and die with a reasonably sized ice cream cone in my hand.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have depression. I treat it with therapy and medication; but some days it still kicks my ass to such a degree that I barely have energy to eat, let alone cook. On those days I often eat junk food because at that point, any calories are better than no calories. (I do mostly stick to "real" food, though, as opposed to processed. I'd rather eat a cheeseburger whose ingredients I can recognize than an inscrutable sandwich meat.)

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'd like to, but I don't have the money to buy good food or the time to prepare it.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I agree with what's been said so far. Moderation is the best approach. A reason I've not seen mentioned is that it has the highest rate of success if your goal is to lose weight and get healthy. Stopping cold turkey (mmmm, cold deli sliced turkey) is just setting yourself up for a backslide binge.

There is one thing for which there is a good argument to cut out entirely: soda. It's heavily processed, the most empty of calories, and is poison for your teeth. On top of being flavored sugar, many kinds have a straight up addictive drug added. I drastically reduced my soda intake a few years ago, and my weight gradually dropped about 10 pounds. Note this is a stable loss. It's not tremendously hard to lose weight, but it's nearly impossible to stabilize and maintain a lower weight longterm.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Cut it out entirely and break free of the addictive amounts of sugar/fat/salt in it.

Exercise in moderation and make sure to consult a credible nutritionist to help you build a good meal plan.

Eventually you'll wonder what the appeal was and find yourself avoiding it for being too sweet or too salty or just plain shitty.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you should completely quit junk food, as it has poor nutritional value and uninspired taste.

since giving up lettuce, broccoli and courgette in 2017 i have gained the ability to see through walls and

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    There are a great many things I should do.

I do very few of them, because I am spoiled and free to make mistakes.

Actually, most the things I do are mistakes anyway.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yes.

Stop going to fast food entirely.

Limit eating out (restaurants love to add tons of oil to things to get the taste).

Don't keep biscuits or sweets in your house.

Don't add sugar to coffee or tea.

Cut the sugar in recipes for things by about at least a third up to a half.

If you enjoy peanut butter, switch to a sugar-free/salt-free one and get through 2 weeks till you stop noticing the difference.

EDIT: You'll basically not notice any of these once you do them. Turns out (in my experience) our diet is so saturated with added sugars that eliminating some major sources makes anything with any amount of sweetness taste incredibly sweet (without drowning the flavor profile entirely).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure "quitting" is the right approach though. Just try to eat less junk food. Steering yourself in a preferred direction works better than denying yourself things you like.

Some years ago, I realized I was about to become a fat, middle aged gay man with aching joints, constant heartburn, nasty sleep apnea, and no prospects of romance. So I decided to start exercising a little and eat a little healthier food. I also wanted to reduce my meat consumption for environmental and animal welfare reasons, so I focused more on eating veggies, fish, and free-range poultry. I do love cooking, and I quickly discovered that you can easily make really delicious food that's both healthy and inexpensive. I still eat junk food occasionally, mostly when it happens to be the only convenient option at airports or wherever, but I find that my tastes have changed. These days, if I go to a fast food chain, what used to taste fantastic is now greasy and gross, so I find myself avoiding those places as much as possible. So it's been kind of a natural process.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

On a personal level yeah it's absolutely should but won't (completely), because I'm going to indulge.

Also chocolate.

https://efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/

Plenty of healthy foods that are cheaper than junk/fast food that require very few tools, time, or skill.

A days worth of calories in white rice is roughly $0.41.
    A days worth of calories in peanut butter is roughly $1.25.
    A days worth of calories in milk is roughly $1.37.

It's just a lot more fun to eat ramen, soda, mac & cheese, and take out.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Also chocolate.

Plenty of healthy foods that are cheaper than junk/fast food that require very few tools, time, or skill.

Homemade mac & cheese doesn't have to be bad for you.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Calica wrote: »

Also chocolate.

That's true! However, when I eat mac & cheese I'm going to revel in the indulgence of it. The cheap stuff from the box is my favorite; we were pretty poor when I was a child so we ate a lot of kraft and hotdogs and it definitely hits the nostalgia button pretty hard.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Also chocolate.

I dunno, I make that sometimes and it's mostly pasta and cheese - not health foods by any means. Less chemicals I guess.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    God help me I’m gonna try. I made it through 2017 without a single soda, then backslid in 2018.

For 2019 I’m doubling down with no soda and no sweets

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    The cheapness of healthy food is highly situational.

If you have access to a good grocery store, a well-equipped kitchen and adequate storage, it can be more frugal to eat healthy. But not everyone has that situation.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    we're here for a good time, not a long one. eat that fried clam basket. eat that king sized candy bar.

eat at arby's.

edit: you know what, i'm not even having a good time! all i have is just a time now. so i might as well get the free breadsticks with my pizza because at least that'll probably be good relative to literally the rest of everything in the world right now.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    The cheapness of healthy food is highly situational.

If you have access to a good grocery store, a well-equipped kitchen and adequate storage, it can be more frugal to eat healthy. But not everyone has that situation.

A lot of places where the dollar store is the closest thing to a grocery store

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg