As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think you can still do a strength-focused Rogue in fifth edition.

With the Swashbuckler subclass you'll likely be the biggest damage dealer in your group.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    For the hit point "damage vs. stamina" issue, what I'd like to see (and I'm sure some system has done it) is a soak system divided up into 3 categories, that grows with each new ability you take. Basically, damage is done as either physical, mental, or soul soak damage. Each ability you take has a soak value in the 3 categories. For instance, dual-wielding comes with a physical/mental soak cost, while divine magic has a slight mental soak and a large soul soak.

Anytime you take damage, you disable one or more of your abilities with a soak cost and category equal or greater to the damage. Example: You're hit with an attack that does 3 physical damage. You have to disable abilities that add up to at least 3 physical soak. If, at any point, you cannot soak the appropriate amount and category of damage, you are incapacitated entirely -- which may mean death, unconsciousness, or simply exhaustion depending on the circumstances and what the DM determines is accurate.

This way, all classes can be front-line fighters under the right circumstances. If you're facing something that does a lot of soul damage, your fighter's probably not your tank anymore, and it's the cleric's time to shine. Social situations become mental combat encounters, where the rogues and bards are trying to tank damage for the others. It also means that players at the equivalent of 1 HP aren't still operating at full steam, they're reduced down to a subset of their normal capabilities.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Fifth edition, much like everything else, doesn't have rules for the creation of deities within its system.

So this weekend my free-time will be spent designing a few for my own homebrew campaign setting.

As opposed to just giving them no stats & hand-waiving everything, I want them to be built akin to other characters (just absurdly powerful in relation) so that they can operate more akin to how Hercules: the Legendary Journeys & Xena: Warrior Princess treated their gods.

So my plan for them is:
    -- They're all 30th-level, which is the ceiling for any creature in the game.
    -- 30th-level multi-classed spellcasters will continue to gain spell-slots/spells known as it follows a consistent pattern.
    -- They can have as many blessings & epic boons as they want (but can't repeatedly pick them).
    -- They can have any magic item they want (but are still restricted to only being able to attune to three of them).
    -- They can use blessings, epic boons, and the manuals/tomes to increase their stats but they are still bound to the same restraints as other characters (and can't exceed a 30 in any attribute score as that's a hard system rule).

• ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think you can still do a strength-focused Rogue in fifth edition.

With the Swashbuckler subclass you'll likely be the biggest damage dealer in your group.

It's possible to be a Strength rogue, it's just weird. You have to use a finesse weapon, but you do not need to use your Dex to attack with it.

So you use a short sword (or similar weapon) and then just make an attack roll using your Str as the modifying stat. The problem with it isn't that it's impossible, it's that it's weirdly restricted and doesn't actually gain you anything so it's strictly worse than being a Dex rogue.

(I say that planning to be one relatively soon, my Str ranger is going to be MCing into rogue after 5th level. Combining the Deep Stalker alpha strike from Xanathar's with rogue alpha strike is going to be hilarious for the first round of combat.)

On weapon categories: They're not distinguished exactly the way they should be, but they're intended to be for balance reasons. Simple weapons are available to everyone, so they aren't as good. Martial weapons are specialized combat weapons, available to specialized combat characters, so they're better. Exotic weapons require even a specialized combat character to devote character-specific resources to wielding them, so they're even better.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    a strength rogue would work great with tortles, and any race that gets a medium armor proficiency

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    I'd much rather drop weapon proficiencies completely and either go with a Dungeon World style "if you're a paladin any weapon in your hands does X damage" or a Gamma World style matrix of basic weapon categories, and you just fit whatever esoteric thing you want to wield into one of those categories.

Also this is probably an appropriate time for that one poster to describe how they made a flamethrower in that one RPG that uses weapon tags or whatever, I can't remember what system it is.

That was me. It's the defunct Legend system by Rule of Cool. They did make a 1.0 pdf release though and its still downloadable. It's build off to OGL for 3.5.

Weapons do a base 1d6 then you add mods. So the flamethrower gets elemental fire, reach and scything (attack at -4 to adjacent enemies to target) bam flamethrower.

That's the one! I always thought it was a neat system. In a game like 5E it would be ripe for abuse, but it would be an interesting alternative. Like instead of Simple Weapon Proficiency, maybe you can only handle weapons with one or two tags, but Fighters or other classes that are supposed to be better with weapons can handle 3 or 4 tags, or whatever. Then you just build what you think a kunai with chain is supposed to be like and you're off to fight some blue eyes white dragons.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Let's say you are a Warlock, but your cover is that of like, a Spiritualist or Medium or whatever.

So you're a legit magic user, but don't often use your magic in your 'day job' except to like, knock on tables or make things appear during seances. Unless, of course, the client has a legitimately paranormal problem for you to fix, in which case you will break out the proverbial big guns.

background Scholar, or Charlatan? Acolyte?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    a strength rogue would work great with tortles, and any race that gets a medium armor proficiency

Dex still ties into the majority of rogue skills though, and is the more useful saving throw.

Also to go back to the earlier conversation booming blade with a whip is fun because unless the enemy also has reach they need to move to hit you and take damage, and you can theme the thunder damage from that as like a magical whip echo or whatever.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Okay, so i spent some of the afternoon doing some math on Blood Hunters, with a focus only on the Order of the Lycan because that's the one that original interested me. Maybe after work I'll do the Ghost Hunter for some Belmont style fun. As compared to a Ranger (Revised Ranger UA) with the Hunter subclass, both wood elves, dex for the attack stat
    Order of the Lycan, level 5, 18 dex, no feats, archery fighting style
    • 1d6+5+1d6 x 3, +7 to hit, 17 AC in studded leather
    • 60% chance to hit AC 16
    • 36 avg dpr (21.6 w/ miss chance)

Hunter Ranger, level 5, 18 dex, no feats, dueling fighting style
    • 1d8+6+1d6, 1d8+6+1d6+1d8, +7 to hit, AC 16 in studded leather
    • 60% chance to hit AC 16
    • 32.5 avg dpr (19.6 w/ miss chance)
    • 36.5 avg dpr w/ favored enemy (21.9 w/ miss chance)
    Order of the Lycan, level 8, 20 dex, no feats, archery fighting style
    • 1d6+6+1d6 x 3, +8 to hit, 18 AC in studded leather
    • 65% chance to hit AC 16
    • 39 avg dpr (25.4 w/ miss chance)

Hunter Ranger, level 8, 20 dex, no feats, dueling fighting style
    • 1d8+7+1d6, 1d8+7+1d6+1d8, +8 to hit, 17 AC in studded leather
    • 65% chance to hit AC 16
    • 34.5 avg dpr (22.4 w/ miss chance)
    • 42.5 avg dpr w/ greater favored enemy (27.6 w/ miss chance)

Level 9+ is where we get a little fuzzy, as Hunter's Mark should be replaced with Conjure Animals. This gets all kinds of complicated because the official ruling is that you give the DM the cr number and quantity and they're supposed to choose the animal, plus 8 new creatures is a lot of book keeping/scene hogging. So I've got it with Hunter's Mark, 8 raptors and 2 brown bears.
    Order of the Lycan, level 11, 20 dex, no feats, archery fighting style
    • 1d8+7+1d8 x 3, +11 to hit, 18 AC in studded leather
    • 80% chance to hit AC 16
    • 48 avg dpr (38.4 w/ miss chance)

Hunter Ranger, level 11, 20 dex, no feats, dueling fighting style
    • 1d8+7+1d6, 1d8+7+1d6+1d8, +11 to hit, 17 AC in studded leather
    • 34.5 avg dpr (27.6 w/ miss chance)
    • 42.5 avg dpr w/ greater favored enemy (34 w/ miss chance)

Hunter Ranger, level 11, 20 dex, no feats, dueling fighting style, 8 velociraptors
      • 1d8+7, 1d8+7+1d8, +11 to hit, AC 17 in studded leather
      • 1d6+2*8, 1d4+2*8, +4 to hit (+9 w/ pack tactics)
      • 70% chance to hit AC 16
      • 27.5 avg dpr (22 w/ miss chance)
      • 80 avg dpr (56 w/ miss chance)

Hunter Ranger, level 11, 20 dex, no feats, dueling fighting style, 2 brown bears
      • 1d8+7, 1d8+7+1d8, +11 to hit, AC 17 in studded leather
      • 1d8+4*2, 2d6+4*2, +5 to hit
      • 50% chance to hit AC 16
      • 27.5 avg dpr (22 w/ miss chance)
      • 39 avg dpr (19.5 w/ miss chance)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'd much rather drop weapon proficiencies completely and either go with a Dungeon World style "if you're a paladin any weapon in your hands does X damage" or a Gamma World style matrix of basic weapon categories, and you just fit whatever esoteric thing you want to wield into one of those categories.

Also this is probably an appropriate time for that one poster to describe how they made a flamethrower in that one RPG that uses weapon tags or whatever, I can't remember what system it is.

That was me. It's the defunct Legend system by Rule of Cool. They did make a 1.0 pdf release though and its still downloadable. It's build off to OGL for 3.5.

Weapons do a base 1d6 then you add mods. So the flamethrower gets elemental fire, reach and scything (attack at -4 to adjacent enemies to target) bam flamethrower.

That's the one! I always thought it was a neat system. In a game like 5E it would be ripe for abuse, but it would be an interesting alternative. Like instead of Simple Weapon Proficiency, maybe you can only handle weapons with one or two tags, but Fighters or other classes that are supposed to be better with weapons can handle 3 or 4 tags, or whatever. Then you just build what you think a kunai with chain is supposed to be like and you're off to fight some blue eyes white dragons.

Honesty since it's built off of 3.5 with an emphasis on unique but not over powered weapons I think it would mostly bolt right on. I'd just add a tag called "finesse" so rogues can create their sneak attack weapon and a spell focus tag for the casters. Maybe a two handed tag (that bumps it to a d8) for the fighters.

Heck i might try to bolt it on this weekenfd. I also might try to make a comprehensive homebrew module for 5e. Would anyone be interested in that?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Let's say you are a Warlock, but your cover is that of like, a Spiritualist or Medium or whatever.

So you're a legit magic user, but don't often use your magic in your 'day job' except to like, knock on tables or make things appear during seances. Unless, of course, the client has a legitimately paranormal problem for you to fix, in which case you will break out the proverbial big guns.

I think Charlatan is the best choice for such a character.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    We're going to rob a train

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    We're going to rob a train

Classic team building exercise

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

I think Charlatan is the best choice for such a character.

It's also one I rarely feel inclined to use, so I'd jump at the chance.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Hey, guess what, y'all?

Round 3 of the 2019 SE++ Class Clash is over!

Results can be found here:
    https://challonge.com/2019semartial
    https://challonge.com/2019seexpertise
    https://challonge.com/2019sespellcaster

The closest fight this time was definitely Sorcerer v Wizard, with Sorcerer just barely eking out a victory with a tally of 17-16. I figured it'd be a close one, but didn't think it'd be decided by one vote.

Eliminations this round include:
    Warden
    Swordsage
    Psychic Warrior
    Samurai
    Scout
    Spellthief
    Wu Jen
    Shaman
    Beguiler
    Bard

CLICK HERE TO VOTE IN ROUND 4

So, now that we're this far in, any guesses on who's gonna take the victory? I'm personally hoping for Sorcerer, but people sure do seem to love Rogue (though that's possibly because its competition isn't quite as fierce).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Typically one makes a Strength Rogue because they want to put Expertise into Athletics, then pick up Grappler so you can grab guys and get sneak attack grappled targets. Usually these builds will still get a high Dexterity rating, because you still want a good AC, Initiative, Dexterity Save, and Dexterity-related skills. Bugbears are popular for this, because they're the only race with static bonus abilities that gets both Strength and Dexterity. The other common reason is if you're playing a race with a Strength bonus but not a Dexterity bonus, or you're multiclassing from something Strength-based.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Typically one makes a Strength Rogue because they want to put Expertise into Athletics and pick up Grappler, and maybe Tavern Brawler. Usually these builds will still get a high Dexterity rating, because you still want a good AC, Initiative, Dexterity Save, and Dexterity-related skills. Bugbears are popular for this, because they're the only race with static bonus abilities that gets both Strength and Dexterity. The other common reason is if you're playing a race with a Strength bonus but not a Dexterity bonus, or you're multiclassing from something Strength-based.

Maybe I want to make a Minotaur Rogue who gets sneak attack damage on his Gore attack. Is that so wrong?!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I love the visual of a Minotaur grappling somebody to repeatedly headbutt them to submission.

VRXwDW7.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gunslinger < Monk.

The ability to fire a bullet is not as cool as the ability to catch a bullet.

DarkPrimus on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    catch a bullet and throw it back at them

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gunslinger < Monk.

Everyone has the ability to catch bullets pretty easily.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah but monks should

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gunslinger < Monk.

Everyone has the ability to catch bullets pretty easily.

Very few have the ability to slap that bullet with a "Return to sender" tag, and send it on it's way.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    As far as guesses, I would put my money on the Warlord

-Fairly unique class as far as D&D is concerned
    -Actually fun and interesting to play!
    -Last remaining standard bearer for 4th edition, which has its fans around here

I mean we're talking D&D, so there's always going to be a lean towards "iconic" classes. But thanks to 5e's neglect, Warlord is now Iconic in its own way

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think D&D would greatly benefit from each class getting X weapon proficiencies, which the player gets to choose

If you really want to you can restrict them, either banning certain classes of weapon outright or making the various levels of weapons cost more or whatever

But just saying like

"The ranger has six weapons that they are proficient in. While these greatly vary between rangers, the most common weapons chosen are the Longbow, the Shortbow, the One-handed Axe, the Hatchet, the Longsword and the Dagger."

If this is done then I think the weapons will need to be tiered as well, otherwise it just means that everyone will be using longbows rather say short bows since longbow proficiency is as an example where rangers are often better at range because they have access to the longbow. My worry with this is that it means that everyone will always have the six weapons with the largest dice to cause damage (with a few variations).

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Then maybe there don't need to be as many weapons as there are

If all that's distinguishing one sword from another is more damage, then there don't really need to be two swords

Or, alternately, make the weapons actually different in a cool way, as opposed to just changing the damage die

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think weapons should inherently include various combat maneuvers you can perform with them. Reposte with a rapier for example, or attacks that actually are specific to what kind of weapon you're using, like if you have a pole-arm with a hook maybe you get a move with that particular weapon that lets you pull a shield out of an enemy's hand or manipulate their position on the field

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the problem is that they intentionally made weapons this simple for 5e, yet also want to have certain ones represented in game

hence why we get some repeats, or stupid shit like the trident

Miss me? Find me on:

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah, 5e weapons aren't the best.

they should have included more keywords or maybe made weapon type matter?

like long sword and battle axe being basically the same is something only because of dwarf and elf flavour. what if instead of being versatile axes got the brutal keyword (reroll 1s on damage) or something like that.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    RoC's legend I think will always have the best weapon system

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I really like the idea of special combat maneuvers for different weapon types.
    I love the weapons in the Souls games because of the different animations they have
    and it would be neat to see that reflected in combat in 5e.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited January 2019
    I think weapon with multiple damage types wouldn't have been all that crazy

we need us a good poleaxe with blunt/slashing/piercing

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it always make a weird sense to me when weapon skills are base one type and axes are put in the same category as clubs and hammers.

like at first i'm like "but axes aren't blunt, they are sharp and hurty" and then looking of what axe drills there are, yeah, they're basically the same as hammers.

in closing, axes are cool.

I got enough xp to turn into a wolf and so help me I don’t see how that helps me rob a train

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I got enough xp to turn into a wolf and so help me I don’t see how that helps me rob a train

well, you'll have the element of surprise. what's more surprising than going to the dining car and seeing a wolf?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Does it have to be a wolf? Or can you look like a more domesticated canid?
    Cause nobody's gonna kick a sweet little corgi off the train.

Just saying, we all know that 90% of a heist movie is getting the team into the place you're heisting.
    The other 90% being killing everything that moves, then grabbing anything shiny that isn't nailed down.
    The remaining 15% (in my experience) generally involves tracking down a prybar for anything that is nailed down.

Granted, my groups may be a little more murder-hobo than some. And not particularly skilled at mathings.

see317 on
    I’m theoretically the assault part of the robbery, the infiltration type stuff is someone else. It might be useful for a getaway?

We’re diverting the train into a deserted train yard before my team of criminal ne’er dowells goes in all guns blazing

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If you're diverting to a deserted yard you could pre-position yourself for the assault by posing as a stray

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Also a guard would probably shit himself if a wolf leaps out of the dark to attack him. More than a random dude anyway. Could give you an advantage in combat.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Knock on the door, when they open it, there's a wolf there.

They're like "what the hell did this dog knock on the door" and then they get attacked from behind.

And then you attack THEM from behind after they turn around.