As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think at this point if I presented fully evil orcs or goblins (with no exceptions) to them at this point, they would think I was fucking with them. Through various games I've run over the years in Pathfinder and DnD, I've had a lot of fun playing with ideas of orcs and goblins. Some have been openly violent and stereotypical, others have just wanted to live their lives, some groups have been very intelligent tinkerers and leaders, etc. Hell, the second to last Pathfinder campaign I ever ran lead to the orc nation becoming the most powerful force in the world, which caused another technical revolution (eventually leading to the cyberpunk campaign I ran).

The flip is most of my players, thankfully, are not openly bloodthirsty monsters. In the Tomb of Annihilation campaign I'm still running, even when they ran into a goblin tribe whose leader was a horrible person that lead to the death of a family of Chultans, they still let anyone who was a non-combatant goblin runaway with no threats. One of the survivors of the tribe, Grubteeth, they met weeks later in the jungle, saved him from dying, and adopted him to the party as a secondary guide and (recently) friend.

never die on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    One thing I'm really happy with in 40K recently is that for a long time the technology of the Imperium was pretty set out. You had your stand guns, your standard armour, standard equipment etc

But for a while now they've just thrown new equipment types in and it's awesome. A setting that's ten thousand years old on top of thousands of years of weird technological development should result in more gear variation than you can shake a stick at and they're going back to that. Adrathic Disintegrators! Phosphex launchers! Arae-Shrikes! Plasma Syphons! You can now be equipped with truly bizarre stuff and it adds so much to the setting as an RPG background.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    One thing I'm really happy with in 40K recently is that for a long time the technology of the Imperium was pretty set out. You had your stand guns, your standard armour, standard equipment etc

But for a while now they've just thrown new equipment types in and it's awesome. A setting that's ten thousand years old on top of thousands of years of weird technological development should result in more gear variation than you can shake a stick at and they're going back to that. Adrathic Disintegrators! Phosphex launchers! Arae-Shrikes! Plasma Syphons! You can now be equipped with truly bizarre stuff and it adds so much to the setting as an RPG background.

But like, wasn't the reason they didn't have super varied gear is because all that stuff was deemed heretical and shit?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    been thinking about Tyranny and how cool unarmed was in that game

and now I want a monk subclass that uses heavy armor

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

yeah this would be dope

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I played an unarmed fighter who specialized in touch range magic as my second character and it was a blast

Just like, constantly throwing down shocking grasps in between punches

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

yeah this would be dope

some steelclad m-effer wading into battle and tearing a mindflayer apart with their bare hands

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

yeah this would be dope

some steelclad m-effer wading into battle and tearing a mindflayer apart with their bare hands

just give me a dude clad in spiky armour who grabbles people to death

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to play a fighter who is just a pro wrestler.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Uriel wrote: »

a battlemaster with tavern brawler is the closest we can get right now (it's considered one of the primo candidates for grappling builds in 5e)

it's actually a lot of fun if your GM is generous with how much damage improvised weapons do

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

yeah this would be dope

just give me a dude clad in spiky armour who grabbles people to death

Thibbledorf Pwent says hello!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

But like, wasn't the reason they didn't have super varied gear is because all that stuff was deemed heretical and shit?

Yeah but I've long subscribed to the idea that 1) just tell them your Adrathic Disintegrator is a special plasma gun, who's going to know 2) the galaxy is massive and ancient, there's all manner of weird shit floating around, and 3) Inquisitors and Rogue Traders and such generally when questioned say "fuck off" so if someone does say "that Transuranic Arquebus is ancient and not yours, you can flash the credentials and ignore them

Also a lot of this stuff isn't tech heresy, it's just ancient and stupidly rare/lost. If you've got an Arae-Shrike you're in trouble but an Archeotech multi-tool is just an awesome, irreparable piece of gear, nothing really suspicious about it.

• Options

a battlemaster with tavern brawler is the closest we can get right now (it's considered one of the primo candidates for grappling builds in 5e)

it's actually a lot of fun if your GM is generous with how much damage improvised weapons do

I'm really looking forward to playing my Monk again in Pathfinder, since here usual MO was to get up in people's faces and throw them onto the ground repeatedly, or to grapple huge monsters and rip them apart

fun stuff

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    For fucking about with Pathfinder, the new Kingmaker PC game seems to be a pretty decent CRPG implementation of it. Character creation is lots of fun.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    For fucking about with Pathfinder, the new Kingmaker PC game seems to be a pretty decent CRPG implementation of it. Character creation is lots of fun.

yeah I had a lot of fun with it but it's extremely buggy and the kingdom building part of the game is kinda ass

I'm gonna wait til all the DLC is out and patched before I try it out again

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

The other approach is either a Barbarian with Tavern Brawler & a level dip into Rogue or a V/Human/Half-Elf/Half-Orc Barbarian with Tavern Brawler & Prodigy (athletics).

Getting expertise in athletics is a solid gain for grapplers.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

The other approach is either a Barbarian with Tavern Brawler & a level dip into Rogue or a V/Human/Half-Elf/Half-Orc Barbarian with Tavern Brawler & Prodigy (athletics).

Getting expertise in athletics is a solid gain for grapplers.

moon druids are also a good option

lots of animals are fucking great at grappling

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I played an unarmed fighter who specialized in touch range magic as my second character and it was a blast

Just like, constantly throwing down shocking grasps in between punches

Was my only MC but yeah, this leads to being real good at getting in other spellcasters' faces in Tyranny.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Party Paladin Best Paladin

It just struck me that Andrew WK, Paladin is a totally legitimate character concept

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

It just struck me that Andrew WK, Paladin is a totally legitimate character concept

And we know what his god would look like.

AnimatedSpanishIbex-mobile.jpg

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Fellows I want to play a paladin now

• Options
    edited January 2019
    While basing a paladin after Steve Rogers is a solid approach, the Battlemaster Fighter in my biweekly game is already modeled after him.

So if I was to introduce a Paladin I'd have him be a Triton who was boisterous and pumped for everything.

He'd be OUTRAGEOUS!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What if you played a hexblade who lies and says he's a paladin?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    finally

circumstances have made it so that my PnP group couldn't meet up for like, three weeks

but we're gonna play tomorrow

finally a little bit more of Amoral Assassin Robo-Belvedere

I got a SONIC GARROTE that I just cannot seem to use because fuck Combat Maneuver AC

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I like that it makes a stylized heart on her chest.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    bleh I wish sorcerers got a slightly bigger known spell list, it's so hard to pick out anything but broadly generically useful spells with those space constraints. The tradeoff of versatility they used to have with wizards doesn't feel worth it at all anymore now that wizards just cast like sorcerers that can change their spell lists on rests.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I should make a wild sorcerer, one day, and roll for my known spells

Live the wild magic life

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I our Starfinder game, I'm playing as Wilkes Krier, an Icon Soldier, with high strength and charisma. Diplomacy, Intimidation and my two fists are all I need to bring partying across the universe. I thought, "What would Andrew WK fight with?" and my heart told me he's a mosh guy so I have sonic gauntlets that I demolish motherfuckers with, if they will not join me in partying. I broadcast all our adventures to my band's webpage and hand out free show tickets wherever I go. My most recent item acquirements were a) a voice box implanted in my throat that let's me yell better; b) giant fuck-off black spikey armor that i spray-painted white with red on the helm; c) cyber legs what let me run faster and further (had to cut off my own for it WORTH IT); d) upgraded fists that are now also electric.

Wilkes Krier runs across battlefields, trailing lightning, blasting his own tunes and punches things to mist.

Wilkes Krier is the pilot of the ship and he yells debuffs onto enemy ships and shouts encouragement onto his beautiful crew.

In our last game, I uppercutted a space T-rex to death (almost, with a little help from our Envoy's sniper rifle) all by myself.

Andrew WK, Paladin, is a very fun concept and I totally recommend it.

• Options
    the sorcerer spell squeeze is so bad it makes me serious contemplate taking the ritual caster feat just so I can have some friggin utility spells

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I feel your pain. That being said I kinda like working under the restriction; when you're limited in that way you really need to make each spell count and be flexible and creative with them. I kinda wish all casters had limited spell lists like the Known-casters do. Maybe not 15 spells max restricted, but 20-24 tops seems fun.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I would be way way happier with 20-25

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    As a DM I would like it if all the spellcasters would use the same dang spellcasting system

Or, alternatively, go wildly different with each

I can't keep track of five different versions of Known / Slotted / Prepared

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    As a DM I would like it if all the spellcasters would use the same dang spellcasting system

That's the player's job, not the DM's job though.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Ideally, the DM is also familiar with how the players function so he can challenge the party in the most interesting ways.

Real basic example is denying short rests can be very interesting against a Warlock, while not so interesting with a Wizard.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i just recently remembered a character i had a while ago, and it is the rare character idea where they got a signature weapon instead of just having like a machinegun or some such. oi have no idea what is a good system for that kind of stuff.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

except for that damned wild magic sorcerer. every single class ability just says "when the DM says you can,". It's a fucking omnishambles of bad design. No direction or guidance for the DM and hands them a bunch of extra shit to keep track of. Also the wild magic random table is short and super lame compared to the exact same thing in previous editions.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I don't think it's that complicated, there's really only 2 ways of handling "which spells can I cast" in the base classes, the preparation casters (wizard/cleric/druid/paladin) and the non-preparation casters (sorcerer/bard/ranger/warlock/eldritch knight/arcane trickster).

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that complicated, there's really only 2 ways of handling "which spells can I cast" in the base classes, the preparation casters (wizard/cleric/druid/paladin) and the non-preparation casters (sorcerer/bard/ranger/warlock/eldritch knight/arcane trickster).

the prep ones have different rules about which spells they "know" and can prep from though.

My current group has 2 people totally new to tabletop RPGs and believe me this difference is not trivial and has required repeated explanation

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!