As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    This week my real-life group more-or-less wrapped up the D&D5e campaign my friend was running, so now I'm on the GM docket. I gave my friends a list of things I'd be down to run and they picked my Vampire: the Requiem in 80s Miami idea, so I'm finally going to get to do that one. We've been doing a series of short campaigns to try to sample a lot of different systems so it's not going to be the full experience I'd planned, but this gives me a chance to road-test my ideas to maybe try with one of my other groups later.

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    This week my real-life group more-or-less wrapped up the D&D5e campaign my friend was running, so now I'm on the GM docket. I gave my friends a list of things I'd be down to run and they picked my Vampire: the Requiem in 80s Miami idea, so I'm finally going to get to do that one. We've been doing a series of short campaigns to try to sample a lot of different systems so it's not going to be the full experience I'd planned, but this gives me a chance to road-test my ideas to maybe try with one of my other groups later.

Man, I wish I could get my friends to actually pick from game options.

I sent four options to my friends a week ago trying to get a bi-weekly game started back up, and so far I've gotten one response and it was "those all sound good I'm down for whatever". Which, while I appreciate the support, not super helpful.

I thought they were cool ideas, maybe I'm way off! Spoiler has all the options I presented in case anyone wants to read them.
    The four options I presented were (I gave them one-sentence descriptions as well as long ones):

Option 1: Beyond the Last War (An Eberron game where the world is ending)
    It has been twenty years since the Last War, and the world is ending.

The Scions of the Second Dawn, a secret order nestled within the Starpeaks of northeastern Aundair, has been studying the Draconic Prophecy for hundreds of years. On the very night where you were to be initiated into the secret knowledge it has gained, the monastary was ambushed. You emerged into a dawn red with the blood of your compatriots and fellows, the only survivors of a massacre. You are the only ones left who know the secret that the Scions of the Second Dawn discovered; that the Draconic Prophecy is not about the destruction of the world, but about its rebirth. Now, armed with a vague prophecy and a little bit of foreknowledge, you must gather the items and powers necessary to rebuild the world after its inevitable destruction. The world is falling apart around you. Will you build a new world out of the ashes of the old, or will you burn along with every other part of Eberron?

Option 2: Midnight in Middle-Earth (Play as new Istarii in the Fourth Age after Sauron won)
    It was meant to be that at the end of the Third Age, the Ring-Bearer would make his way to Mount Doom, and the Ring would be cast into the fires of Orodruin, the Mountain of Doom. And Sauron's power would be cast down and dispersed for ever, and though evil would not be defeated, the chief servant of the Enemy would never return.

But even in the Music of the Ainur, not all things that are meant to be come to pass. For the Enemy's reach is long, and ever does he befoul those things that he touches, and not always does Eru Iluvatar intercede. And so it came to be that in this time, the quest of the Ring-Bearer had failed, and the Master Ring sat once more on the finger of Sauron in his stronghold of Barad-Dur. And his darkness was cast over all the world, and the will of Men, Elves, and Dwarves to resist him was not enough to stand against his power. Of those sent to Middle-Earth to stand against him, only Mithrandir remained true, and in time his strength too failed and he returned to Valinor in defeat.

And in this way did years pass, well into the Fourth Age, the age of Midnight. But all hope was not lost, for though he sent his servants ever east, never were even the Black Numenoreans able to find Valinor. Though they searched the endless reaches of the sky, the black depths of the sea, and the fiery caverns of the earth, never were they able to find even one Silmaril. The world teeters on the brink of destruction as Sauron searches for the means to bring his master, the dark lord Morgoth, back to Middle-Earth to begin Dagor Dagorlath and destroy the light of the Trees forever.

It is in this time that the Valar have pooled their strength, and have empowered new servants to return to Middle-Earth to bring forth light and face the darkness all about. You are those servants. The second generation of Istarii, and hopefully more true than those who went before you. Can you restore light and hope to the peoples of Middle-Earth? Can you retrieve the Silmarils from sky, sea, and earth before the Dark Lord? Will you restore the light to the Trees; or will you see it extinguished forever?

Option 3: Whitmore is the Villain (Spoiler Alert) (Star Wars during the Rise of the Empire, between episodes 3 and 4, as random working dudes caught up in something they never expected)
    It's been ten years since the big galactic war ended. The stability is nice. They say the Republic was replaced with an Empire, and some people complain about it, but that never affected you too much. Sure, there was that rebellion out in the Outer Rim, but they're always doing that kind of thing. They changed the calendar, but the computers took care of all of that, and you never really trusted those Jedi anyway. Biggest excitement around here since then was when the Grand Moff's personal starship got stolen a few years ago and the terrorists took out some Imperial bases with it. You're glad you didn't have anything to do with that, the stories you've heard about what the Grand Moff and the Emperor's pet Lord Vader did are pretty terrifying. Transporting foodstuffs and supplies for the most famous cantina franchise in the Expansion Region and the Mid Rim (Whitmore's Pub and Grub), all that stuff doesn't really have much to do with you, and you like it that way.

Until the other day when Imperial troops pulled you out of hyperspace on a routine delivery, told you you were carrying contraband and seized everything aboard the ship. Now Old Man Whitmore says it was your fault and you need to pay to replace all of it, and you were carrying some pricey equipment (why did a cantina need all these shield generators and power converters, anyway?); at your wages, it'd take a hundred years to get the money for it. Hanging in space on your routine run between Mon Gazza and Bothawui, you are left with nothing but questions. Why would the Imperials have boarded you and seized your cargo? What will you do about your sudden enormous debt? Will you try to stay honest, or will you go rogue?

Option 4: Cyberpunk vs Fantasy (the party is a gang of no-good street punks who has fantasy creatures invading their territory)
    Life's tough out here on the streets, but not for you. You're a 'punk. People come to you when they have problems, and you fix them. For a fee, of course, you're not running a charity here. Sometimes people object to your solutions, and then you have a polite conversation with them. Then their 'doc has a polite conversation with them. After that, they usually don't bother you any more.

You've noticed recently that not as many people are coming for your help. You haven't seen a lot of your regulars around anymore, either. Seems like there's something going on. Something's moving in on your territory. Hard to get a straight answer out of people who are scared out of their minds, but whatever they are, they seem like they've got some serious cyber going on. Maybe using some hallucinogenics, too, unless they've invested a lot in bio-mods to go with their cyber. Eight-foot tall enforcers with thick pebbled grey skin who can heal from gunshot wounds and can't be killed, unless they're burned with fire? Sounds cheaper to just drug your victims and make 'em believe it. You're not intimidated, though. These are your streets and you're not going to let anyone push you out of them. It's time to take out the trash.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Been rolling around an idea for a Necromancer from a Druid community. Probably thinks they're providing a 'necessary balance' by studying death magic instead of life magic. But more importantly, realizes that if you're looking for a good tough combat minion, why even bother with humans? Zombify a grizzly bear or something. Imagine a fuckin skeletal moose - all the same berserk moose power, but oh shit, now it also feels zero pain. Surround your wizard tower with brambles inflicted with modified vampirism, scratching the shit out of intruders and growing strong from the taste of their blood. Hollow out a zombie elephant and fill it full of zombie beehives so the first dumbass who slashes open the hide with his sword gets a face full of stingers, but also you can harvest the DARK HONEY as a component for potions probably. Build a flesh golem out of gorillas, like a hundred gorillas but you're picking the best parts from each one, and also it has a rhino head, and extra arms so it can swing extra halberds. Just halberds going all over the place like porcupine quills. Also cover it in actual porcupine quills. Got to make some giant porcupines first with non-necromantic means, but that's all right, that's why you took all those general courses in Wizard School.

I've been thinking so much about playing a wizard cop who wants to stop this exact kind of irresponsible jackass wizard that now I desperately want to play this kind of irresponsible jackass wizard.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I finally built my damn Gloomhaven Organizer last night! It took like 3 hours. Now maybe I'll actually play the game.

Probably not! But maybe!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I have to be up to go to work in less than seven hours but I’ve finally cracked how to introduce the back stories of three of my players with a Vampire plot to kidnap a hereditary Vampire hunter before he comes of age - a sort of Terminator 2 plan but with prophecy instead of time travel

Elf spies! Old rivalries rekindled! Conspiracies! Undead! And a thousand elephants!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    what about zombies that explode into zombie bees?

edit: oh, i seem i am late here.

Well, okay then.

*packs up undead bees back into the brief case and heads out the door*

Melding on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I know Simpsons did it, but a pack of zombified dire wolves with zombie bee hives where their organs used to be...

• Options
    Zombie turducken

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    what about zombies that explode into zombie bees?

edit: oh, i seem i am late here.

Well, okay then.

*packs up undead bees back into the brief case and heads out the door*

Human zombie packed with other smaller primate zombies. So you smash it and a dozen zombie spider-monkeys burst out. Like one of those spiders that carries around their horrible young. Also the spider-monkey zombies all have poison knives.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    some zombies stuffed with hornets, other stuffed with spiders, and a giant stuffed with zombie wolves.

• Options
    Basically, every zombie is hauling around a whole torso or abdomen or gut sack or whatever that’s just waiting for a necromancer to scoop out like a jack o’ lantern and turn into a Trojan Horse compartment.

• Options
    Three zombie children on each other’s shoulders, wearing a zombie trench coat (made from zombie plant fibres)

• Options
    oh oh!

Animate the bones separately so you kill the zombie and BLAMMO there's angry wasps everywhere, and a Skeleton!

• Options
    Ooh, now there’s an exploitable angle. No synthetic fabrics. Everything everyone is wearing used to be alive. Even heavy armor guy has a bunch of layers of fabric and padding, and a whole lot of leather for straps and reinforcement. Your reanimated pants may not have a ton of power, but once you feel the sting on your skin and realize they’re trying to digest you, suddenly the barbarian in her chainmail bikini doesn’t look like as much of an idiot.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh i love kingdom death monster

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ooh, now there’s an exploitable angle. No synthetic fabrics. Everything everyone is wearing used to be alive. Even heavy armor guy has a bunch of layers of fabric and padding, and a whole lot of leather for straps and reinforcement. Your reanimated pants may not have a ton of power, but once you feel the sting on your skin and realize they’re trying to digest you, suddenly the barbarian in her chainmail bikini doesn’t look like as much of an idiot.

zcw6gjav5dia.jpg

• Options

what if i just invent polyester?

• Options

Then which of us is the REAL villain, HMM??

• Options

Then which of us is the REAL villain, HMM??

still you.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    So I'm running the new android expansion for Genesys, and part of that is generating a Network map for the runner when they hack into a system. This is the one I made tonight for my game tomorrow. It's the 2nd session so the hacking isn't too complex yet, and this is the first time he is going to run into an apposed OpSec person, who will appose his hacking.

I have a more advanced version that shows what the security measures are, and the player will learn about them as he interfaces with the system.

tfa5cuzlfcjg.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Because of a terrible insight roll my character went on an impromptu date with our contact (who I was now convinced was actually the gang leader we were looking for) while the rest of the group cleared out a sewer.

It was kind of amazing because they kept me in initiative order so every once in a while, they're getting covered in wurm acid, it would cut back to me making small talk.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Because of a terrible insight roll my character went on an impromptu date with our contact (who I was now convinced was actually the gang leader we were looking for) while the rest of the group cleared out a sewer.

It was kind of amazing because they kept me in initiative order so every once in a while, they're getting covered in wurm acid, it would cut back to me making small talk.

Reminds me of Peter's date scene in Ghostbusters 2 while the rest of the guys are investigating the river of slime.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm really starting to love this character.

High dex/cha rogue swashbuckler, -1 int / -2 wis so I'm basically playing him like a hotshot fighter pilot, a man of action. He pretty often runs away half cocked while the group is still gathering information.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I finally built my damn Gloomhaven Organizer last night! It took like 3 hours. Now maybe I'll actually play the game.

Probably not! But maybe!

Are you sure organizing chits doesn’t count as playing it

I thought that’s how ameritrashy games worked

• Options
    Gloomhaven is largely considered to be good, isn't it? I don't know if I'd classify it as Ameritrash, though maybe that comes off a bit more aggressively than it's intended.

Anyway, when I found the envelope that said "Open this when you feel like you've earned it" I honestly considered opening it right there.

• Options
    Gloomhaven is largely considered to be good, isn't it? I don't know if I'd classify it as Ameritrash, though maybe that comes off a bit more aggressively than it's intended.

Anyway, when I found the envelope that said "Open this when you feel like you've earned it" I honestly considered opening it right there.

Wow

Ameritrash is a badge of pride, I’ll have you know

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    My Bard using the Tiny Tim array has been just dominating fights. Apparently at level 1, the Sleep spell is pretty good. The GM has already said she is planning on advancing us up to level 3 pretty quick because things are more interesting and also as a bonus, Sleep becomes less of an autowin.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    desc wrote: »

Wow

I wasn’t sure! I have not played a board game in a while, and I mean, putting ‘trash’ in something usually implies a negative feeling.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    desc wrote: »

Wow

I wasn’t sure! I have not played a board game in a while, and I mean, putting ‘trash’ in something usually implies a negative feeling.

I think it’s one of those reclaimed pejorative thingies also I’m just funnin’

But also now the game is organized so you must play the game

It’s destiny

desc on
  • Options
    I fully intend to play it. My only hesitance now is do I play it with just me and @Janson or try and get a group of four total? If I played with Janson then we’d likely get more opportunities to play.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm really starting to love this character.

High dex/cha rogue swashbuckler, -1 int / -2 wis so I'm basically playing him like a hotshot fighter pilot, a man of action. He pretty often runs away half cocked while the group is still gathering information.

Sounds like my plan to someday create a swashbuckler based on the captain from the new She-ra series. Boldly yelling "Adventure!" while setting his own ship on fire for glory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I fully intend to play it. My only hesitance now is do I play it with just me and @Janson or try and get a group of four total? If I played with Janson then we’d likely get more opportunities to play.

I've heard of plenty of successful two player games, and I believe with the way the whole thing works, you can have people drop in/drop out for the larger games as well

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    My Bard using the Tiny Tim array has been just dominating fights. Apparently at level 1, the Sleep spell is pretty good. The GM has already said she is planning on advancing us up to level 3 pretty quick because things are more interesting and also as a bonus, Sleep becomes less of an autowin.

I would recommend switching out Sleep once you get past third or fourth level.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I've heard of plenty of successful two player games, and I believe with the way the whole thing works, you can have people drop in/drop out for the larger games as well

Oh okay, that's awesome. My main concern was us 'locking in' if we started playing it 2-player due to the whole legacy aspect of the game.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You may want to get official confirmation on that from someone who has actually played it.

But yeah, I get the issue - I've never started my game of Seafall because I want to play it with more than just one other person, and my other friends are much harder to wrangle. I've been idly looking at the legacy Betrayal At House on the Hill lately, partially because it sounds like its legacy mechanics are more forgiving of player flux.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Up casting sleep is still a boss way to end an encounter but it becomes less useful for starting encounters

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh okay, that's awesome. My main concern was us 'locking in' if we started playing it 2-player due to the whole legacy aspect of the game.

It doesn't lock in. 2 is generally harder than 3 or 4, but drop-in drop-out is a real option.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Up casting sleep is still a boss way to end an encounter but it becomes less useful for starting encounters

The party has a mage who seems to be going in on the aoe damage approach, so Sleep probably has a fairly good chance of ending things on a bunch of weakened enemies. The group seems to like going for non-lethal or limited lethal resolutions to the encounters, so I figure I'll continue to get good use out of it or similar non-lethal finishers throughout the campaign.

Our last session, we turned a injustly thrown in jail scenario into an event with major political implications that has our GM madly planning out the political system and major players of the poorly defined world. It was meant to be a fast premise to strip us of our gear and have a jailbreak, but we immediately started speculating on how this scheme was being carried out and what it meant in terms of official involvement.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

The party has a mage who seems to be going in on the aoe damage approach, so Sleep probably has a fairly good chance of ending things on a bunch of weakened enemies. The group seems to like going for non-lethal or limited lethal resolutions to the encounters, so I figure I'll continue to get good use out of it or similar non-lethal finishers throughout the campaign.

Our last session, we turned a injustly thrown in jail scenario into an event with major political implications that has our GM madly planning out the political system and major players of the poorly defined world. It was meant to be a fast premise to strip us of our gear and have a jailbreak, but we immediately started speculating on how this scheme was being carried out and what it meant in terms of official involvement.

Oh yeah following a strong aoe damage spell with a sleep is a solid power move.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Oh yeah following a strong aoe damage spell with a sleep is a solid power move.

Oh yeah, sleep works on current hp not max now doesn't it.

steam_sig.png