As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Like nic fits?

I kid, but full plate brawler is my go to Elder Scrolls character.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Melding wrote: »
    i want a fighter who fights in full plate and uses their fits as weapons.

The Fit is a very versatile car.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    i want a fighter who fights in full plate and uses their fits as weapons.

I mean that’s not far off where a lot of fighting in full plate went historically.

But that would be a fun character, though DnD doesn’t have much support for armor + unarmed combat typically.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Realized today that there's no reason I need to stat out EVERY item my players might pick up in the heist. Just put a bunch of flavorful, interesting items in there, let them take what they want, and then at the end of the chapter have them check in with a guy to identify their items. Anything I'm not sure about, "This one, I'm not too sure about...gimme a little bit, I gotta talk to my guy about this one." Takes off a lot of the stress I've been feeling about prep for this adventure.

Co-DM and I have also decided we're implementing a two-tier currency system to the game: Resources and Treasure. Resources are an abstraction of coins, jewels, precious metals, anything people would generally consider as money in a marketplace, represented as a number on their character sheet. This is what the players will use for buying basic equipment, healing potions, etc. It can also be drained on failed rolls with ranged weapons and such, as a representation of the fact that if you keep missing your shots, you're gonna use up more ammo.

"Treasure", on the other hand, is not tracked by number on the character's sheet like Resources. Instead, it's a tag that specific items can have. If an item is especially rare, powerful, or significant, it has a value that cannot be expressed solely in monetary terms. So while a simple broadsword might be tagged as "3 harm, slashing steel", an heirloom broadsword stolen from a noble family might be tagged as "3 harm, slashing steel treasure". Players will eventually be offered upgrades to their home base, some of which can only be purchased by trading a Treasure in addition to Resources. For example, a player might use resources to purchase potion-brewing equipment for their base, allowing them one free healing potion per chapter. Later, they might trade a treasure to upgrade that equipment with rare alchemical reagents and advanced brewing guides to get more/better/more varied potions per chapter. Also, while players may sell treasures to gain resources if they wish, it will be highly unusual for them to find an item for sale that has the treasure tag. Generally, treasures can only be acquired through adventure.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone been keeping an eye on the Pathfinder 2E playtest? I browsed through the playtest rulebook when it first came out but that's about it. Now I hear that during the playtest they decided to overhaul the Paladin class into the Champion class, making it an alignment-based class with Paladins being the Lawful Good version. The final book will include the Neutral Good and Chaotic Good versions as well.

More or less, yeah, except I think they're just calling it Paladin, but I'm not certain. Although personally I say that if your Paladin-style class "has" to have an alignment, then I think it should be "must be L or N" so hopefully we'll get LN and LE at some point. That'd be neat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Anyone been keeping an eye on the Pathfinder 2E playtest? I browsed through the playtest rulebook when it first came out but that's about it. Now I hear that during the playtest they decided to overhaul the Paladin class into the Champion class, making it an alignment-based class with Paladins being the Lawful Good version. The final book will include the Neutral Good and Chaotic Good versions as well.

More or less, yeah, except I think they're just calling it Paladin, but I'm not certain. Although personally I say that if your Paladin-style class "has" to have an alignment, then I think it should be "must be L or N" so hopefully we'll get LN and LE at some point. That'd be neat.

They've written up paladins for the whole 9 step alignment spectrum at least twice. The chaotic ones are just obsessed with personal freedoms and work out okay.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

They've written up paladins for the whole 9 step alignment spectrum at least twice. The chaotic ones are just obsessed with personal freedoms and work out okay.

Oh I know, I remember in 3.x Unearthed Arcana they had Paladins of LG, CG, LE, and CE.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    also i fell back into the dark eye hole i made for myself.

why do i do this to myself?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they have drops for that.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    yeah probably, but i would rather play the game instead.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    yeah probably, but i would rather play the game instead.

first, you need to find some Germans

• Options
    alright so how much sausage and beer should i get?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Build it and they will come

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Don't forget pretzels.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Don't forget pretzels.

right, of course.

and then do i set up a fan to waft the smell out and hope they float in like a cartoon character smelling pie?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    gave my players a fun magic hammer today
    g2vywu5ay9gg.png

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    One of my players is taking a break for a couple of months due to exam timetable pressure

From a session planning perspective, this is a good thing, as now all of her rise to power in the criminal underworld can be dealt with "off screen" rather than having to sprinkle it through the main plot

Now I can focus on forcing the spy into situations where she might have to reveal that she isn't a magic user after all

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Okay, so i got a bunch of americans in lederhosen.

how do i get rid of them?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    FREE BEER on a sign w/ an arrow pointing away from you.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    park a storage container nearby

put an 'Irish Pub' sign on it

tow it away once all the americans are in there

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    tell them they gotta go

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I got over a hundred years of foreign policy on record that says that wont work

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    oh uh, beat up the strongest one

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ya know I like the idea last page with the fighter and being good and having abilities with different weapons. Like maybe at level 1 they choose 2 proficiencys and a fighting style, so if they choose axe and sword and decide to be a shield fighter, they get bonus with an axe and a sword and then every few levels they get to pick more off the list and eventually they can get higher level bonuses for ones they already have.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Figured out a solution to a problem I was having with how to handle the heist during the actual session.
    The Problem: I want it to feel like they have a lot of options for what to take, more than they could possibly carry, which requires a lot of lists of things. Even if they don't all have mechanical effects attached to them, they have to be described to the players in some way. My original inclination was that, when a player entered a room, I would hand them a printed list of the items they spot around the room, with a brief paragraph of description of the room itself at the top, then move on to another player so they have a chance to think about what they're seeing without slowing the game down. Talked with my partner about this, who needs blind-accessible versions of all materials we play with, and she pointed out that even if I provided her a digital copy of the list, she wouldn't be able to listen to what's going on at the table AND listen to her laptop read her the list at the same time, so she wouldn't be as much of a participant as the other players. The other solution, actually pausing to read the full list aloud whenever a player enters a room, is gameplay poison, and giving the other players printed lists while reading them aloud to her would single her out and make it seem like she was the one slowing the game down, which isn't fair for her.

The Solution: A move.

Case The Joint
    Whenever you examine an element of the mansion (a room, the outer walls, the front gate, etc.) or your pre-mission intel (a list of guards, a stolen ledger of recent purchases, etc.), the DM will provide you a brief summary of interest points, from which you will choose one. This process will repeat, gradually narrowing in focus, until you have fully examined a specific detail. You may Case The Joint again on your next turn if you wish to get further detail about a different branch of the element. Example:

"You enter the hall. Lining it, each in its own alcove, are mannequins dressed as various types of adventurers. With a quick scan of the room, you are able to broadly group these mannequins into three categories: Warriors, Magic-Users, and Rogues. Which group would you like to examine?"
    > Warriors
    "So there's three of them. The center one is actually in a glass display case of its own, a tall armored figure atop a mannequin-style horse. Flanking it are two mannequins on foot: One is average-sized, with a sword and shield. The other is bare-chested, clenching an enormous battleaxe. Which one are you most interested in?"
    > Mounted one
    "The items on this mannequin that catch your eye as the most valuable: 1. The saddle is jewel-encrusted and gives off a faint, nearly-imperceptible glow. 2. The mannequin wields a lance. 3. He wears a shiny silver breastplate with a set of scales engraved upon it. While you take a second to think about that, we'll move back over to Dave, who's been checking out the potions equipment in the next room while watching for guards..."

----

This way, in addition to reducing the accessibility gap, I can...

1. Have an intuitive, unified mechanic for both pre-heist planning and mid-heist observation, so that it feels like a single adventure rather than two separate ones.
    2. Create the illusion of even more variety than I have, because the players can imagine as much content as they want behind the unexamined branches.
    3. Discourage choice paralysis, by reducing the number of items a player is actually trying to choose between at any one time.

I really prefer working with a system that is simple enough to mod like this, rather than something that supposedly has a rule for everything already like Pathfinder. It feels more freeing.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm going to add an Ananasi to my game and no one can stop me

• Options
    Ananasi are supposed to be non emotional and clinical to a fault which I am choosing to interpret as being incredibly chilled out and relaxed about everything.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    Ananasi are supposed to be non emotional and clinical to a fault which I am choosing to interpret as being incredibly chilled out and relaxed about everything.

The Dude as a vampire?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    my players are gonna be encountering an ancient construct that speaks roboty lines in a language none of them know, celestial. I wanted to speak these lines while RPing in a real world language that my players won't understand to complete the effect. I was thinking Latin, but maybe theres something more fitting?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    No one wants to play dungeon world with me again... :(

Sucks that d&d is on hiatus too

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The Dude as a vampire?

It's a race of werespiders that are a super obscure goofy part of WoD lore that no one ever uses.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

The Dude as a vampire?

It's a race of werespiders that are a super obscure goofy part of WoD lore that no one ever uses.

You still gonna describe their tits as floppy to the players?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

The Dude as a vampire?

I remember from the last time you mentioned them, I'm just saying, is that basically a reference point for how they'll be roleplayed?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    my players are gonna be encountering an ancient construct that speaks roboty lines in a language none of them know, celestial. I wanted to speak these lines while RPing in a real world language that my players won't understand to complete the effect. I was thinking Latin, but maybe theres something more fitting?

Latin seems like the obvious choice in some ways in a western centric point of view?

Go crazy and do it in something no one expects

Like punjabi? I think that'd be interesting.

• Options
    Five posts including my own until someone asked if the Ananasi would have floppy tits

It will not be specified I will let the players decide in their own minds.

• Options
    Five posts including my own until someone asked if the Ananasi would have floppy tits

I'm sorry, I had to take a phone call.

• Options
    Oh yeah

Big tiddy goth spider girl friends

• Options
    No it's fine, working hours and all that.

• Options

OK but scenario: A player rolls a spot check (or whatever WoD does I don't remember) to see how floppy dem titties are. They roll a critical success, they know everything vis-a-vis titflop. You're the DM, this is your world, your tapestry of imagination, you're on the spot and on the clock, what do you do?

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

OK but scenario: A player rolls a spot check (or whatever WoD does I don't remember) to see how floppy dem titties are. They roll a critical success, they know everything vis-a-vis titflop. You're the DM, this is your world, your tapestry of imagination, you're on the spot and on the clock, what do you do?

This is getting a little weird.