As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

podcast thread

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    do we know what team at ArcSys is making the Granblue game

one of their teams makes fighting games that peer directly into my brain and give me everything I want (the Persona Arena team made DBZF and it very much shows) and the other one makes Guilty Gear which just confuses me

what about the blazblue team where do they rank

how about the double dragon 4 team

ARC SYSTEM WORKS TIER LIST

S Tier
    - Persona/Dragon Ball team

Mid tier
    - Guilty Gear team
    - Blazblue team (are these not the same thing)

Unknown tier
    - Everyone else

6F32U1X.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    i am 100% certain it is to make it so that when they do crossover events they don't have to deal with the rights-holders overseas

Oooooooooh that makes sense.

I never bothered figuring out how the heck to get it on my phone so oh well.

If it's an Android, just go to the website in Chrome. It's playable entirely browser-based.

I’ve got an iPhone.

I know you need to make a Japanese iTunes account and stuff but I don’t really want to do that.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    anyway the game director of Granblue Fighting Game is a dude from Cygames anyway so it's a collaborative project in a way that muddies the waters of "who's working on it" even more than their previous licensed projects

the director of Guilty Gear is not currently publicly associated with the project at this time though

liEt3nH.png
    not only are guilty gear and blazblue not the same team guilty gear fans will throw down if you catch them on a bad day and insinuate that

liEt3nH.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I greatly enjoyed PFT calling Griffin Newman a cuck

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    i am 100% certain it is to make it so that when they do crossover events they don't have to deal with the rights-holders overseas

Oooooooooh that makes sense.

I never bothered figuring out how the heck to get it on my phone so oh well.

If it's an Android, just go to the website in Chrome. It's playable entirely browser-based.

I’ve got an iPhone.

I know you need to make a Japanese iTunes account and stuff but I don’t really want to do that.

Ah geez, yeah that complicates things a bit. It's also playable on Chrome on PC if that's an option for you. Might not be the ideal way to play but it would at least give you a chance to check it out, see how you feel about it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wish I could find someone to call me a cuck

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    but for reals arcsys is just a 133 person company so the "teams" are gonna be exceedingly fluid, what's more important are going to be the leads and directors shaping the design

liEt3nH.png
    not only are guilty gear and blazblue not the same team guilty gear fans will throw down if you catch them on a bad day and insinuate that

I always assumed Blazblue came about because there was some weird rights transition with Guilty Gear when Sega bought up Sammy and Blazblue was them trying to remake Guilty Gear without knowing if they could ever do another Guilty Gear, and now they're in some weird flux state where they have both

I can't really tell a difference between them, though I haven't exactly studied them

6F32U1X.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I started listening to the Book of Mudora, and it’s really making me want to play Link’s Awakening again and buy the 3DS version of Ocarina. I get the urge to play OoT every couple years, and it’d be nice to try the remake.

The 3DS version is probably the best version of that game. I don't like its color palette as much (the effect of the final battle is largely lost) but gyroscope aiming for the bow alone. Then you get the whole binaural audio thing, the nicer character models and improved static backgrounds... it's got a lot going for it.

I wish that MM3D was such a clean upgrade

dN0T6ur.png

And yet they're still pretty much the same game

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I always assumed Blazblue came about because there was some weird rights transition with Guilty Gear when Sega bought up Sammy and Blazblue was them trying to remake Guilty Gear without knowing if they could ever do another Guilty Gear, and now they're in some weird flux state where they have both

I can't really tell a difference between them, though I haven't exactly studied them

they actually in fact put out a Guilty Gear game in-between the Sammy buyout and Blazblue coming out!

liEt3nH.png

oh is this what we're gonna do today, we're gonna fight?

liEt3nH.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ten quatloos on Bagel

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

I think the ten minutes of combined experience I got qualifies me for this opinion

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I think the ten minutes of combined experience I got qualifies me for this opinion

you consider any game that has more than three attack buttons to basically be the same game

liEt3nH.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

you consider any game that has more than three attack buttons to basically be the same game

Honestly this sounds like a pretty compelling argument to me.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I wish I could find someone to call me a cuck

I'm your cuckleberry

edited February 2019
    We need a reaction button for "I hate this with every fiber of my being but god damn do I respect it".

I guess :so_raven:

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    We need a reaction button for "I hate this with every fiber of my being but god damn do I respect it".

Isn't that what the awesome button is?

Straightzi wrote: »

I can not in good conscience Awesome that

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I started listening to the Book of Mudora, and it’s really making me want to play Link’s Awakening again and buy the 3DS version of Ocarina. I get the urge to play OoT every couple years, and it’d be nice to try the remake.

The 3DS version is probably the best version of that game. I don't like its color palette as much (the effect of the final battle is largely lost) but gyroscope aiming for the bow alone. Then you get the whole binaural audio thing, the nicer character models and improved static backgrounds... it's got a lot going for it.

MM3D is probably still an overall improvement on the N64 game even if the changes it makes don't have a 100% hit rate

even just moving the bank to be right next to an owl statue is such a nice little QoL upgrade

Speed Racer on
    Straightzi wrote: »

I can not in good conscience Awesome that

My conscience has never been clean

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I hope Arcsys makes another Persona game.

I liked the first two a lot.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    David: "Tim Roth's origin story in this movie is, the Hulk punched me so hard he broke every bone in my body, and instead of never wanting to see the Hulk again, I want to get big like him so I can punch him back"

Ben: "Yeah well that's, you know, the nature of man"

oh hey checking the Blank Check Patreon some of their bonus episodes are going to be Tim Burton things

they're doing Corpse Bride in March and Frankenweenie in April

6F32U1X.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    David: "Tim Roth's origin story in this movie is, the Hulk punched me so hard he broke every bone in my body, and instead of never wanting to see the Hulk again, I want to get big like him so I can punch him back"

That kick is one of the all time great movie moments.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I love that Ed Norton Hulk movie.

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yeah that's just the fight side of fight or flight

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited February 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »

MM3D is probably still an overall improvement on the N64 game even if the changes it makes don't have a 100% hit rate

even just moving the bank to be right next to an owl statue is such a nice little QoL upgrade

It does a lot right! The bank change is nice, even if it still screwed me up in places, and the little changes to certain quests are good. The improved Bomber's Notebook, boy howdy! That's a big one!

But they fouled up Goht and made Twinmold into the worst 3D boss in the history of the series by such a long way, the swimming is weird, they fouled up the momentum on Deku Link, the color palette problem is even sharper than it was in Ocarina, and... I... think that being able to save without resetting the 3-day countdown actually hurts the flow of the game compared to the original

Like with OoT I'd be like "hell yeah play the 3DS version, that's the one to play"

With Majora I gotta stop and think for a while based on who I'm talking to

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    People keep saying they ruined Goht but I only played the 3DS version and Goht was still by far the coolest boss in that game.

(the swimming was real bad though, yeah)

In the original version of the game, the bosses didn't all have giant eyes inside of them that would pop out and act as weak points. Originally you could fight Goht solely as Goron Link, without needing to transform and shoot the eye. You never had to stop rolling, even, if you didn't want to

dN0T6ur.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

yeah that's how blazblue came to exist, sega-sammy held the IP rights for guilty gear and arcsys wanted to move to owning their own IPs. Eventually I guess they bought the rights back and started making the Xrd series, or maybe they just came to a deal and it's still owned by sega-sammy, I'm not really sure.

e: or at least I was pretty sure that was what happened, if that's wrong someone can correct me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I'm on the same page as everyone on Blank Check irt Mars Attacks! though it appears that I will be mad online about their Big Fish episode.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm on the same page as everyone on Blank Check irt Mars Attacks! though it appears that I will be mad online about their Big Fish episode.

In which direction, cause they seemed pretty middling on Big Fish

6F32U1X.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Big Fish is like as close a movie you'll find to explain the relationship I have with my dad. So I love it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

I feel like this is also the logic behind the recent Super Robot Wars games having an english option.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    do we know what team at ArcSys is making the Granblue game

one of their teams makes fighting games that peer directly into my brain and give me everything I want (the Persona Arena team made DBZF and it very much shows) and the other one makes Guilty Gear which just confuses me

what about the blazblue team where do they rank

how about the double dragon 4 team

ARC SYSTEM WORKS TIER LIST

X Tier
    - Sengoku Basara X team

S Tier
    - Persona/Dragon Ball team

Mid tier
    - Guilty Gear team
    - Blazblue team (are these not the same thing)

Unknown tier
    - Everyone else

uyvfOQy.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Big Fish is like as close a movie you'll find to explain the relationship I have with my dad. So I love it.
    My roommate showed me Big Fish a couple months after my dad died. He forgot what it was about, he just remembered he enjoyed it.

About 5 minutes in he went "Ooooooooh noooooo....."

(I loved it and cried A LOT)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.