As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey do y'all like art?

123457»

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    L'AQUART wrote:
    Mahjong is seen as a reflection of our daily existence. The game is a mirror of a person's true character: once players sit down at the Mahjong table, their personalities become more apparent by the way they play. Chinese describe this as paai bun, or the ethics of Mahjong.

It was manufactured entirely by hand and took a period of more than 8 months to complete. The materials composing this art object were carefully chosen having as their main component solid blocks of Tanzanian ruby--a gemstone representing the expression of the fiery energy of the sun, nobility and royalty. Ruby is said to bring prosperity and protection, as well as keep one healthy and beautiful.

From a technical point of view, ruby is the second hardest gemstone known to man after diamond, hence, carving it represents a challenging endeavor in which only the gifted and strong of body and mind achieve success. The set consists of 144 extra-large tiles: 36 in the Bamboo suit, 36 in the Circle suit (or tongzi), 36 in the Character suit (or wan), 16 Wind tiles, 12 Dragon tiles and 8 bonus tiles (4 Flowers and 4 Seasons), 98 coins in different sizes and two dice, all handmade so each piece is unique.

The metal work protecting the ruby tiles was engraved and hand hammered in gold vermeil, the symbolic color of the five legendary emperors of ancient China and signifying neutrality and good luck. Adorning each tile on the face and reverse side, the artist used more than 1000 Burmese rubies and 300 top quality diamonds all of which provide an added feel of luxury.

One of the myths about the origins of Mahjong suggests that Confucius, the Chinese philosopher, developed the game in about 500 BC. The three dragon (cardinal) tiles also agree with the three cardinal virtues bequeathed by Confucius. Hóng Zhōng , Fā Cái and Bái Bǎn represent benevolence, sincerity, and filial piety, respectively.

Counters to play are represented by coins carved of black or white mother-of-pearl with gold vermeil borders. The dice were carved in ruby: one with large faceted Burma rubies to show the numbers and the other with pave-set diamonds, both also protected by corners in gold vermeil.

Dimensions: 35 x 18 1/4 x 7"

125276842_1557898024412164_483602281658589140_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=tiooGMjZBL8AX8aR6Ev&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=234958b2480a770dae62b835179fafa0&oe=5FDBFB25
    125498323_1557898007745499_4850930391261711877_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=ibi-83B6VIUAX-YdBRl&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=3904d43f13a4e1bfa0e03b7d75994df1&oe=5FDB2E0B
    125440037_1557898011078832_5073720115788018222_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=YpcNj1XFv1IAX9ehDze&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=2f78d04092d70a11f3d2348777082af1&oe=5FDE45EA
    125233578_1557898004412166_4656930758605927468_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=0vmp7vf1us8AX_IEz-q&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=e9e09569d8c13dd41fbdedf281d7e662&oe=5FDDA248
    125398771_1557898027745497_7791173212981027991_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=rUDLA-dHbOAAX_UlNec&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=d4d62ff750d9a9127154a6e8b9518554&oe=5FDD383F

https://www.katerinaperez.com/articles/laquart-embark-on-a-journey-into-the-infinite-world-of-gemstone-carving

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    "embark on a journey into the infinite world of gemstone carving"

Day 10. I must have traveled miles and still all I see are gemstones and carving tools all the way to the horizon. What I once thought was beautiful is now a hellish prison of gemstones. Carving gemstones is the only thing that sustains me as I've not eaten for days, but do not hunger so long as I keep carving. Whatever I imagined hell to be, it wasn't this.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    sometimes you come across some actual, official-ass art and you think to yourself,

"yeah, alright,

this looks like a shitpost on twitter"

NZrOq9l.jpeg

Oswaldo Guayasamin (Ecuadorian) Horse. 1960

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So that's where Draw A Horse came from

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    can't remember if I ever posted this, but one of my favorite paintings is by Pang Tseng-Ying (https://www.tinakenggallery.com/en/artists/35-pang-tseng-ying/biography/)

My grandmother met him and purchased three paintings from him a long time ago (one for each of my aunts and one for my mother)

It's watercolor on layered tissue paper, and the longer you look at it the more faces you can see

zchti9rkl53o.jpg

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man I really like Alexander Cabanel's Fallen Angel

xo3zefgqgy2z.jpg

Maybe it's because not very deep down, I'm still a cringy edgelord teen but the anger, resentment and pride he conveys in this hot, smoldering angel dude's eyes really speaks to me.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    dude looks like he's about to drop a Blue Eyes White Dragon

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A bunch of museums in Vienna kept getting strikes on social media for posting pictures of paintings and statues with boobs and butts and dicks in them, so they got together and made an OnlyFans page. This is very funny to me.

Source: CNN is a cable news network
    Text: Vienna museums launch OnlyFans account to display "explicit" artworks

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I like a variety of digital artists! Here's five off the top of my head, but I follow many more on Facebook

Iris Compiet
    compiet_faeries_art18.jpg

Loish
    9e0105c326da895b14a8ad5959e47cbe24d8fc3e.png

Qinni (RIP 😭)
    DG-fD35VYAE6yYr.jpg

Peter Mohrbacher
    peter-mohrbacher-06.jpg

Nekro
    nekro-ink-shaman.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I recently visited the Hirshhorn in Washington DC and they currently have an absolutely phenomenal Laurie Anderson installation; if you're in the area anytime in the next year I strongly recommend it.

If you're not familiar with her (I barely was, I only really knew her through her connection to Lou Reed), Laurie Anderson is a multimedia artist (and the installation reflects this) whose works include music, performance art, sculpture, video, poetry, photography, etc. I think nearly every piece/set of pieces that were on display had at least one thing that I was absolutely enamored with.

Anyways, I don't have a great way to convey a lot of her work digitally, but here's a small piece of it that I liked:

3ha3zizdqvfd.jpeg

The whole room was painted like that, countless messages on display, some of them funny, some of them sad, maybe a few profound, you get the idea, all criss crossing and running up against one another. As you may have already guessed, that particular shelf was rigged up to constantly be vibrating, all of those glasses knocking together.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    i liked peter mohrbacher's art a lot in my youth but then he went full nft evangelist

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i liked peter mohrbacher's art a lot in my youth but then he went full nft evangelist

Did he? That's disappointing, especially since I backed the Kickstarter for an art book of his years back

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I dunno if it counts as art but I guess they announced that on their tour Baroness is giving away a poster unique to each city signed by John Baizley to each attendee and now I really wanna go to the show in detroit but I don't think I can do a metal show right now.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I recently visited the Hirshhorn in Washington DC and they currently have an absolutely phenomenal Laurie Anderson installation; if you're in the area anytime in the next year I strongly recommend it.

If you're not familiar with her (I barely was, I only really knew her through her connection to Lou Reed), Laurie Anderson is a multimedia artist (and the installation reflects this) whose works include music, performance art, sculpture, video, poetry, photography, etc. I think nearly every piece/set of pieces that were on display had at least one thing that I was absolutely enamored with.

Anyways, I don't have a great way to convey a lot of her work digitally, but here's a small piece of it that I liked:

3ha3zizdqvfd.jpeg

The whole room was painted like that, countless messages on display, some of them funny, some of them sad, maybe a few profound, you get the idea, all criss crossing and running up against one another. As you may have already guessed, that particular shelf was rigged up to constantly be vibrating, all of those glasses knocking together.

I went that exhibit with my boyfriend two weeks ago! The flags piece werent working and that shelf wasnt moving when we went though.

It was a cool exhibit, a lot of the rooms were genuinely disorienting in a way I was not really prepared for

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    56213oke1bj4.jpg

Siamese Cat by South Korean artist Lee Sangsoo (@artsangsoo on IG)

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    my wife is an incredible artist and painted this portrait of Patti Smith

hc05oa7fexgq.jpg

it's the 11th of an ongoing portrait series of her favorite musical artists =)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I bought more birbs this weekend:

cardinal_ii_promo.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000

https://www.sirmitchell.com/product/cardinal-ii

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... and that's my wife's birthday present sorted. Thanks, @Doodmann !

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

The quoted tweet is basically like "we have learn art so we can embarrass people who say this is art to take back art from leftist degenerates. Because as long as they control art they control the culture." and man, just, this is absolutely the gold standard of Missing The Point™️.

It makes me so happy that 105 years later Duchamp is still giving people the opportunity to just completely own themselves.

God bless

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still kinda want one of these prints to put up next to my espresso machine

https://tenshundredsthousands.com/products/arabica-fine-art-print

I don't have enough stuff on my walls

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    That would be neat! I've been wanting to hang something green up over my kitchen sink so I have something soothing to zone out at while scouring pots. Botanical prints might be the way to go.

Although I'd really like a nice landscape painting featuring one of those old-timey beef cows with the short little legs:

ficaal0ebn8j.png

Hell yeah, slap a ribbon on that magnificent cube, best cow.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    that's me

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That would be neat! I've been wanting to hang something green up over my kitchen sink so I have something soothing to zone out at while scouring pots. Botanical prints might be the way to go.

Although I'd really like a nice landscape painting featuring one of those old-timey beef cows with the short little legs:

ficaal0ebn8j.png

Hell yeah, slap a ribbon on that magnificent cube, best cow.

finally, some actual art in here!

• Options
    Marcel Deneuve

"A Thousand Plateaus" / Jan. 2022.

290954204_3325497697775712_8736886115775070035_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=y81CTrzJoD8AX_AeBIQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv2-1.fna&oh=00_AT_hBTUImN2sWo9wEEsftdNHALCCEFRWSllLsQdW7huLIw&oe=62C20C29

"Over-engineering dismantles the void, stratifying the plan to infinity. Layer constructors heat the formations to the limit in the sliding deployment of networks of regions, intensely boiling with variable geometry." —Marcel Deneuve

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    if they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase you

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

The quoted tweet is basically like "we have learn art so we can embarrass people who say this is art to take back art from leftist degenerates. Because as long as they control art they control the culture." and man, just, this is absolutely the gold standard of Missing The Point™️.

It makes me so happy that 105 years later Duchamp is still giving people the opportunity to just completely own themselves.

God bless

Okay so, the thing people don't get about Dadaism because they don't really teach Dadaism even in artist focused art history classes.

Dadaism came out of World War 1. It came out of an entire global culture that very suddenly had to deal with death and dismemberment on a level not understood before.

Society said that in order to be a man, in order to be a citizen, in order to be a proper person in the world, you had to go to war.
    220px-%22Good_Bye%2C_Dad%2C_I%27m_Off_To_Fight_For_Old_Glory%2C_You_Buy_U.S._Gov%27t_Bonds%2C%22_World_War_I_poster_-_DPLA_-_343d05930d0bf0b711eeebd4d22e1767.jpg

What everyone saw, however, was that people were killed for no purpose, no great goal, and with no concept of the individual. Defeating a machine gun doesn't take courage or skill, it takes sheer and total luck. What people saw was thousands of people going off to war on the idea that it was completing the masculine ideal, and when they came back they were missing legs, organs, and even faces.

From that you get the work of Anna Coleman Ladd (I did not pick the most gruesome image, but still)
    8PSS645.jpg

But also from that you get Dada. Dada was built on the idea that the social contract is so violated that no one should be interested in following it. It's the rejection of sense in the face of the nonsensical nature of "sensible society". It's the rejection of meaning, the rejection of form, and the rejection of function. It's "We reject what just happened so much that we reject even the basic concepts upon which you build society". This isn't a hidden meaning, Dadaists wrote manifestos. The entire nature of Dada was explicitly political, and as it spread out new manifestos were written. See, Dada was one of the first world wide art movements. It's one of the first to reach across the world, in real time because each time a Dadaist manifesto dropped on a continent it inspired artists there to write their own manifesto. So, as it grew it remained explicitly political, explicitly a rejection of the mainstream, and always focused on the regimes in your backyard.

"The Fountain" is meaningless, and every Dadaist would tell you so. However, behind that intentional lack of meaning, is a public rejection. "If a society that glorifies Manet and Renoir could eventually send thousands of men into a meatgrinder for no reason, then why the hell would I want to be like Manet and Renoir?"

• Options
    edited July 2022