As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Carpy wrote: »
    Bodyguards pilot is so good, I don't think I've ever been hooked harder by a pilot than that.

You guys mean Bodyguard? It's a mini-series, so episode 1 isn't a pilot. Only six episodes.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'd like Robb Stark to read me bedtime stories

• Options
    He is really good in the Bodyguard too.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd like Robb Stark to read me bedtime stories

How about Tom Hardy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUayOnHldv0

Chris Evans and James McAvoy do some as well.

• Options
    I always forget Jame Mcavoy is Scottish he is very good at covering up his accent

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Travelers:
    I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the paradox thing of "he's always been the FBI agent!" I like the less deterministic direction they went in and that it all falls in line with the rules they had set up for themselves.

So uh...no 9/11 in the new timeline, much to 3468's surprise.

That seems like a thing.

Over all it's a pretty good show that it a little too self serious sometimes but I am always on board for more hard sci-fi in the world.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Travelers:
    I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the paradox thing of "he's always been the FBI agent!" I like the less deterministic direction they went in and that it all falls in line with the rules they had set up for themselves.

That seems like a thing.

Over all it's a pretty good show that it a little too self serious sometimes but I am always on board for more hard sci-fi in the world.

Hmm thats not what I got
    I thought he was going to wait and die in 9/11 to close the loop

• Options
    Travelers:

That seems like a thing.

Hmm thats not what I got
    I thought him checking his watch with surprise indicated it didn't happen. Didn't he go meet his not wife after that?

I like to ART
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Travelers:

That seems like a thing.

Hmm thats not what I got
    I thought him checking his watch with surprise indicated it didn't happen. Didn't he go meet his not wife after that?

No.
    He used the knowledge of meeting Kat for the first time for his TELL so that happened first. I think it was meant to be ambiguous however whether he was going to die in 9/11 or not - though there's not really a great reason for him to survive it and closing the loop should have been the priority. Note that the show hasn't been officially renewed so it looks like the end was designed to be a potential series finale also.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Right, duh.

I thought they got renewed for Season 4?

I like to ART
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Travelers:

That seems like a thing.

Hmm thats not what I got
    There was a lot of discussion about this on /r/travelerstv. You see the time on the wall clock, the first plane didn't hit for another 15 minutes. I imagine he was like, oh man I need to stop symbolically looking out the window and get out of here. But the symbolism still works since he knows he's walking towards falling down an elevator shaft.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed my time watching Travelers (mostly because Travis was the best) but it did get a bit frustrating how much they liked to keep the viewer in the dark at times via using fancy traveler lingo.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Titans is surprisingly good. It also infuriates me that DC Universe is a thing and that that's where I have to watch it.

How many streaming services are we going to have to have before the pile collapses into one or two because everyone is losing market share due to user base fragmentation? A dozen? Two dozen?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have just now learned we're getting a The Boys tv show and I'm tentatively excited.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Travelers:

That seems like a thing.

Hmm thats not what I got

Travelers Season 3 Finale
    I got the impression he was checking his watch to see if his plan worked. Traveler 001 was due right at that time more or less. The lack of horrific pain as his brain is re-written being a decent sign that he at least completed his mission. Its the only thing that is time sensitive that I can think of.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I have just now learned we're getting a The Boys tv show and I'm tentatively excited.

I saw the trailer for it. Consider me interested. I like that guy... You know, the one with the hair... *googles* Daniel Bruhl.

Edit - Oh wait, he's not even it it... wtf. I coulda sworn I saw him in the trailer. My bad. Interest lowered.

*googles*

Simon Pegg is in it though! Interest raised.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    We watched the documentary about Cat shows last night

the Persian cat in it is a complete cartoon

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Started Killing Eve on Hulu two nights ago with Mrs. DoctorArch. Only have two episodes left.

Damn that is a fine show. Equal parts hilarious and tense.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The new Netflix movie Polar is trying way, way too hard.

If you're expecting John Wick meets Red like the trailer suggested, temper expectations, it's more like a little bit of Red and way too much Smoking Aces and wayyyyyy too much early '00s edge (and that Best of the Worst movie The Item). Real waste of the cast, too.

edit: like seriously yo in the first five minutes it completely makes the song September be not classy, which is incredibly hard to do.

Huh, sounds like fun.

Nah, TexiKen is right, it just tries too hard. It has a few amusing moments, but it isn't really worth your time.

Not worth much time but it was over quick enough. I like silly trashy movies, like Starship Troopers sequels or the Smokin Aces 2. Its definitely felt like as if the FBI stuff was taken out of that sequel and was then turned into a bizarre assasin's kill each other thing. Which is kinda par for the course, I have not found many Assassin vs Assassin movies that's weren't weird on some level, this one just decides to completely forego trying to take itself seriously at all. I can recommend watching Polar if you like the schlocky side of movies like Smokin Aces 2, like a made for tv movie that made the most of their budget, so actually, thanks for saying the movie was terrible, that actually makes these kinds of trashy things easier to watch going in, there is a certain bit of cartoony charm to be found in it then if I have no expectations of it being as well put together as say John Wick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Started Killing Eve on Hulu two nights ago with Mrs. DoctorArch. Only have two episodes left.

This show pairs humor and drama more effectively than any show I have seen. The two leads are both amazing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Polar was so bad my fiancée and I gave up on it about 30 minutes in. It was just so mean spirited with no style of its own. It felt like it was just taking parts from other movies. If it came out 10 years ago it would probably be watchable then. We’ve sat through a bunch of schlocky movies before, and my fiancée loves crappy slasher horror films, but we just couldn’t stand this.

We instead watched two more episodes of Trigger Warning which was a much better use of our time. That show has been fantastic so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Twitch is about to start marathon airing the entire first season of the Inspector Gadget animated series from 1983.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I've been on a food show kick lately, so wife and I started watching Ugly Delicious. I usually just play it in the background while I'm on my phone or playing Switch, but the Taco episode, especially the talk about the cultural importance of food (tacos, in this case, but can be applied to basically any culture ever), plus the stories of the mexican immigrants they interviewed and how they've been affected by the current political regime... man... right in the feels. I'm not even American and I was tearing up with impotent rage!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That show is rull good! Don't use it for background!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    That show is rull good! Don't use it for background!

Not after that episode I won't!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I didn't find it that interesting after watching the pizza episode but that's more to do with what the show is about vs what I was looking for. It wasn't really about cooking, it was a discussion about how people view food in their culture and such.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ugly Delicious didn't do it for me, personally. Will have to give it another try. I did dig Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat quite a bit, though.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to tell Netflix “Never ever ever show me this again, I will never be interested, and fuck you for thinking I would be”

I’m getting real sick of seeing Ted goddamn Bundy at the top of the screen every time I open the app

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Incredibles 2 and Ant-Man 2 are up on Netflix as is Swiss Army Man.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell Netflix “Never ever ever show me this again, I will never be interested, and fuck you for thinking I would be”

I’m getting real sick of seeing Ted goddamn Bundy at the top of the screen every time I open the app

Oh hey Amazon, an unskippable ad for Jeremy Clarkson when I open your app? FUCK YOU. FUUUUUUCK YOU.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

This show pairs humor and drama more effectively than any show I have seen. The two leads are both amazing.

Finished Killing Eve. What Jeffe says here cannot be understated: Killing Eve is a master class in television creation. There are good shows, there are great shows, and then there's shows on a whole higher level like Killing Eve.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Oh hey Amazon, an unskippable ad for Jeremy Clarkson when I open your app? FUCK YOU. FUUUUUUCK YOU.

Or just unskippable ads in general for the Amazon app. Extra bonus "fuck you Amazon" when it's an ad for something completely 1000% outside of my interests.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you.

What does this mean for you?
    Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
    You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
    You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
    After the shutdown date
    Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
    You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    What should you do now?
    As soon as possible, login at myuv.com and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
    Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
    Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.

Some details may be updated, so visit myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at customercare@uvvu.com if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

The UltraViolet Team

God bless our digital future :razz:

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    "Cam" is fucking terrifying!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’ve bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 BluRay/DVD/Digital combos and the digital was always Ultraviolet. I never once used one of those codes.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Santa Clarita Diet is really good. I thought I wouldn't like it based on the description but it's actually hilarious. Everyone is good, but Timothy Olyphant's performance pushes it over the top to brilliant surreal comedy.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Question about bandersnatch. Did we lose ?
    we got to the software decision and accepted. The guy said wrong choice and it looped back to the beginning to that choice

I think it's just part of it and part of me wishes we had made the same choice as the first time but I was weird and.my gf was adamant about the other choice lol.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    we got to the software decision and accepted. The guy said wrong choice and it looped back to the beginning to that choice

I think it's just part of it and part of me wishes we had made the same choice as the first time but I was weird and.my gf was adamant about the other choice lol.

Just keep playing. It won't lie to you; the game overs are part of the experience.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Just keep playing. It won't lie to you; the game overs are part of the experience.

So there are game overs and that was one?

It's kind of confusing. If so think we hit another one but I stand by my choices. Nit sure where this current road is going down, now happy with my gf''s choice on something.
    She chose to kill dad. I'm trying to keep the kid sane lol!
    She's fron the DC universe obviously lol

Fun little experience so far. Curious how it'll be a second time

• Options
    OK we chose
    Netflix
    This shit is hillarious!

This discussion has been closed.