Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Marvel] James Gunn's Wild Round Trip

1192022242564

Posts

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Like, I understand where you guys are coming from

    But fucking EVERYONE wants to be wolverine

    Every single kid has put three knives between their fingers and pretended to be wolverine

    maybe one of the characters that literally everyone wants to be shouldn't be exibiting an easily emulatable habit that kills you

    My boyfriend can attest I do this with french fries to this day.
    Bagel.

    Please.

    This is important.

    Do not try to retract the fries back into your hand.

    How do you eat french fries then?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Also I just realized that I'm pretty sure that I have a french fry-coated skeleton by this point, but it ain't because of a powerful mutation.

    It is because of heavy experimentation that has a total disregard for the safety and sanctity of my body, though, I'll tell you that.

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Like, I understand where you guys are coming from

    But fucking EVERYONE wants to be wolverine

    Every single kid has put three knives between their fingers and pretended to be wolverine

    maybe one of the characters that literally everyone wants to be shouldn't be exibiting an easily emulatable habit that kills you

    My boyfriend can attest I do this with french fries to this day.
    Bagel.

    Please.

    This is important.

    Do not try to retract the fries back into your hand.

    How do you eat french fries then?
    Syringe in the vein.

  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro Jack is back Time to let 'er ripRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I remember some sort of article to the effect that while smoking advertising is basically dead the occurrence of diegetic smoking in media is way up and man as someone who flirts with stopping smoking there is a lot of fuckin delicious sensual smoking getting done in media, like I was watching True Detective and Mahershala Ali lit a smoke and cupped it just so and had a toke and leaned back in his chair real slow like he was gettin sucked off it was wild god I want a cigarette

    I am fairly certain your avatar wasn't smoking until this post

    yegXk2N.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    BahamutZERORingo
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    No...no!

  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also, regarding "Being Wolverine would suck." Being Spider-Man would also suck ass. Partially responsible for the death of a loved one, relentlessly driven to self sacrifice, to the point of having incredible potential but barely making ends meet day to day, while also having an abbrasive loudmouth slander (or libel) you 24/7 while you work for him.

    Also there's an entire city full of supervillians who want nothing more than to beat your ass stupid.

    Kids still want to be Spider-Man.

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Like, I understand where you guys are coming from

    But fucking EVERYONE wants to be wolverine

    Every single kid has put three knives between their fingers and pretended to be wolverine

    maybe one of the characters that literally everyone wants to be shouldn't be exibiting an easily emulatable habit that kills you

    My boyfriend can attest I do this with french fries to this day.
    Bagel.

    Please.

    This is important.

    Do not try to retract the fries back into your hand.

    ...now you tell me

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean, the short answer is because the character doesn't want to do heroin.

    And you can also go into how it's a lot of effort for something that will have basically no effect on him.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, regarding "Being Wolverine would suck." Being Spider-Man would also suck ass. Partially responsible for the death of a loved one, relentlessly driven to self sacrifice, to the point of having incredible potential but barely making ends meet day to day, while also having an abbrasive loudmouth slander (or libel) you 24/7 while you work for him.

    Also there's an entire city full of supervillians who want nothing more than to beat your ass stupid.

    Kids still want to be Spider-Man.

    No, being Spider-Man is awesome.

    Being Peter Parker sucks ass.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    BobbleDouglasDangerCommander ZoomDarkPrimusNarbusTransportershoeboxjeddydarunia106chromdomtzeentchlingStiltsDevlin_DragonusJoolanderMvrck
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is there some sort of superpowered R. Crumbish ultradegenerate in the Marvel pantheon, unkillably injecting heroin into their eyeballs and vaping meth with a mouthful of LSD while, I dunno, foiling crime at the dog race track or something

  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is there some sort of superpowered R. Crumbish ultradegenerate in the Marvel pantheon, unkillably injecting heroin into their eyeballs and vaping meth with a mouthful of LSD while, I dunno, foiling crime at the dog race track or something

    Howard the Duck

  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    There was that time where Red Skull was selling some kind of super heroin and Steve blew up a lab, but the heroin somehow bonded to the super soldier serum, so we got superasshole Steve until the Avengers convinced him to let them take out all his blood and try to clean it, leaving Steve underpowered for awhile.

    It kind of got overshadowed by Kingpin and Red Skull having a duel in their underwear over Red Skull's drug trade. (Kingpin won by literally falling on Red Skull, pinning him to the ground until he capitulated)

    Oddly, there's a bit where Steve goes "I can be Captain America WITHOUT the serum!" so after the Avengers clean his blood, he doesn't want it back. Eventually the serum in the rest of his body turns his new blood super as well and he goes back to being a super soldier.

    However, I'm not sure what the Avengers did with his super blood.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    There was that time where Red Skull was selling some kind of super heroin and Steve blew up a lab, but the heroin somehow bonded to the super soldier serum, so we got superasshole Steve until the Avengers convinced him to let them take out all his blood and try to clean it, leaving Steve underpowered for awhile.

    It kind of got overshadowed by Kingpin and Red Skull having a duel in their underwear over Red Skull's drug trade. (Kingpin won by literally falling on Red Skull, pinning him to the ground until he capitulated)

    Oddly, there's a bit where Steve goes "I can be Captain America WITHOUT the serum!" so after the Avengers clean his blood, he doesn't want it back. Eventually the serum in the rest of his body turns his new blood super as well and he goes back to being a super soldier.

    However, I'm not sure what the Avengers did with his super blood.

    Sold it on the black market as a hyperdrug

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
    Andy JoeshoeboxjeddyRingo
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    It seems kind of weird to me that it's cool to show Wolverine fucking disemboweling a guy, like he'll die now or minutes later in screaming agony I guess

    But we can't show him having a crafty fag around the back of the Xavier Institute Bike Sheds between lessons?

    On the other hand, is this a hill to die on? Not really. I'm just saying. Like Marvel heroes are supposed to be pseudo-realistic and people do have a smoke every now and again.

    DC Heroes should all be banned from smoking though

    Solar on
    ZonugalJoolander
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, UK slang. Got my blood up for a second there when I scrolled

    OmnipotentBagelsee317
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yyyyyeah I know its slang from a different country but combined with 'crafty' I was like holy fuck

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    DelduwathStilts
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I think Logan quitting smoking because he realized it was a bad influence on the kids is a pretty great display of his character arc TBH.

    ChincymcchillaStraightziBobblenever dieSolarDouglasDangernightmarennyShadowenTheodore FlooseveltBucketmanAndy JoeshoeboxjeddytzeentchlingLadaiRingoJoolanderMvrckCaedwyr
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is there some sort of superpowered R. Crumbish ultradegenerate in the Marvel pantheon, unkillably injecting heroin into their eyeballs and vaping meth with a mouthful of LSD while, I dunno, foiling crime at the dog race track or something

    Howard the Duck

    Oh right, gross

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It seems kind of weird to me that it's cool to show Wolverine fucking disemboweling a guy, like he'll die now or minutes later in screaming agony I guess

    But we can't show him having a crafty fag around the back of the Xavier Institute Bike Sheds between lessons?

    On the other hand, is this a hill to die on? Not really. I'm just saying. Like Marvel heroes are supposed to be pseudo-realistic and people do have a smoke every now and again.

    DC Heroes should all be banned from smoking though

    Disembowling someone is not something that is easily emulated or particularly normalized by seeing portrayed in media. Most people don't, actually, have a smoke every now and again, and the idea of that being a thing is one our media is actively trying to dis-promote, after smoking propaganda being basically the backbone of our entertainment industry for nearly the entire existence of the industry created a massive tobacco issue.

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
    ChincymcchillaLadai
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think Logan quitting smoking because he realized it was a bad influence on the kids is a pretty great display of his character arc TBH.

    Yeah, I'd missed that part of it, and that's a much better way to handle it than a straight editorial mandate.

    SolarZonugalBucketmanCrippl3MidniteDarkPrimusdarunia106Stilts
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It seems kind of weird to me that it's cool to show Wolverine fucking disemboweling a guy, like he'll die now or minutes later in screaming agony I guess

    But we can't show him having a crafty fag around the back of the Xavier Institute Bike Sheds between lessons?

    On the other hand, is this a hill to die on? Not really. I'm just saying. Like Marvel heroes are supposed to be pseudo-realistic and people do have a smoke every now and again.

    DC Heroes should all be banned from smoking though

    Disembowling someone is not something that is easily emulated or particularly normalized by seeing portrayed in media. Most people don't, actually, have a smoke every now and again, and the idea of that being a thing is one our media is actively trying to dis-promote, after smoking propaganda being basically the backbone of our entertainment industry for nearly the entire existence of the industry created a massive tobacco issue.

    Yeah like I said I wouldn't die on the hill, like

    It just seems weird to me

    I guess the question is whether one sees these characters as supposed to be representative of regular humans, with all the flaws thereof, or heroic characters who in some way should be displaying emulateable behaviour

    Would you suggest that smoking would be something banned in other forms of media? Not a trick question just curious

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, UK slang. Got my blood up for a second there when I scrolled

    Oh yeah sorry

    It's literally just the word used for it by everyone like, "cigarette" is almost weirdly formal to me!

  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Oh yeah, UK slang. Got my blood up for a second there when I scrolled

    Oh yeah sorry

    It's literally just the word used for it by everyone like, "cigarette" is almost weirdly formal to me!

    Nah you're good. It's just a word my eyes automatically scan for when reading something online. I just saw it before the context

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    On the subject of whether or not it would suck to be Wolverine: One of my favorite depictions of an immortal, ever, is Hob Gadling in Gaiman's "The Sandman". Most of the immortals I've seen up until then were glum and mopey, all "Who Wants To Live Forever", and it's understandable for all the reasons we've already discussed. Then here's Hob, who isn't particularly special or distinctive in any way, and is granted immortality on a whim by two bored Endless. He lives several centuries, and when he and Morpheus meet again after Hob's had a particularly rough time (his family dying, the neighbors going after him on accusations of witchcraft, etc.), Morpheus asks him if he's ready to die, now. Hob thinks a bit and goes "Nah, there's still so much to live for".

    I think that's the most unique depiction of a familiar archetype I've ever seen. Yeah, life's rough, and multiple lives back-to-back are even rougher, and the pain and misery build up - but there's so much to live for. That really resonated with me.

    FencingsaxCentipede DamascusDarkPrimusRingoMvrck
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As a smoker, smokers should be sealed inside large opaque plastic bags before smoking in public

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    I think Logan quitting smoking because he realized it was a bad influence on the kids is a pretty great display of his character arc TBH.


    I agree, but again, I do not remember this happening

    If it did and I am just not aware then fair enough

    But the way I remember it going down is Joe Q issued his ban and they literally had to edit some already drawn comics to remove cigarettes and cigars and then the closest we got was Aunt May telling him not to smoke in front of her

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    Fencingsax
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    As a dirty smoker, I have been conditioned to stand as far away from other humans as possible while lighting up, so Wolverine should be able to smoke in the comics, just way off panel.

  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 11
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think Logan quitting smoking because he realized it was a bad influence on the kids is a pretty great display of his character arc TBH.


    I agree, but again, I do not remember this happening

    If it did and I am just not aware then fair enough

    But the way I remember it going down is Joe Q issued his ban and they literally had to edit some already drawn comics to remove cigarettes and cigars and then the closest we got was Aunt May telling him not to smoke in front of her

    I mean, that'd probably work on most people.

    Kayne Red Robe on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Delduwath wrote: »
    On the subject of whether or not it would suck to be Wolverine: One of my favorite depictions of an immortal, ever, is Hob Gadling in Gaiman's "The Sandman". Most of the immortals I've seen up until then were glum and mopey, all "Who Wants To Live Forever", and it's understandable for all the reasons we've already discussed. Then here's Hob, who isn't particularly special or distinctive in any way, and is granted immortality on a whim by two bored Endless. He lives several centuries, and when he and Morpheus meet again after Hob's had a particularly rough time (his family dying, the neighbors going after him on accusations of witchcraft, etc.), Morpheus asks him if he's ready to die, now. Hob thinks a bit and goes "Nah, there's still so much to live for".

    I think that's the most unique depiction of a familiar archetype I've ever seen. Yeah, life's rough, and multiple lives back-to-back are even rougher, and the pain and misery build up - but there's so much to live for. That really resonated with me.

    Everyone likes to shit on immortality like boohoo I'll be bored boohoo everyone I know will die, it's like I'm bored and everyone I know is dying and I'm mortal let's try out immortal why not

    Hobnail on
    DelduwathGustavBobbleDouglasDangerForever ZefiroShadowenBucketmanAndy JoeCrippl3shoeboxjeddySorceStiltsXaquinDevlin_DragonusJoolanderKwoaru
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know that's a good point why doesn't Wolverine just fuckin shoot bad brown heroin all the time, an invincible man not shooting heroin is kind of an insult in a way

    Because then he'd swing around a dead cat in an alley, duh

    BlankzillaRingo
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know that's a good point why doesn't Wolverine just fuckin shoot bad brown heroin all the time, an invincible man not shooting heroin is kind of an insult in a way

    Because then he'd swing around a dead cat in an alley, duh

    I'm missing something here

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I obviously don’t have the comic in front of me, but it’s something I am positive I have seen before, where Wolverine opens up about how he has cut back on his vices because he is a teacher and a role model.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know that's a good point why doesn't Wolverine just fuckin shoot bad brown heroin all the time, an invincible man not shooting heroin is kind of an insult in a way

    Because then he'd swing around a dead cat in an alley, duh

    I'm missing something here

    This roughly covers it: http://comicsalliance.com/rise-of-arsenal-justice-league-worst/

  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro Jack is back Time to let 'er ripRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    On the subject of whether or not it would suck to be Wolverine: One of my favorite depictions of an immortal, ever, is Hob Gadling in Gaiman's "The Sandman". Most of the immortals I've seen up until then were glum and mopey, all "Who Wants To Live Forever", and it's understandable for all the reasons we've already discussed. Then here's Hob, who isn't particularly special or distinctive in any way, and is granted immortality on a whim by two bored Endless. He lives several centuries, and when he and Morpheus meet again after Hob's had a particularly rough time (his family dying, the neighbors going after him on accusations of witchcraft, etc.), Morpheus asks him if he's ready to die, now. Hob thinks a bit and goes "Nah, there's still so much to live for".

    I think that's the most unique depiction of a familiar archetype I've ever seen. Yeah, life's rough, and multiple lives back-to-back are even rougher, and the pain and misery build up - but there's so much to live for. That really resonated with me.

    Everyone likes to shit on immortality like boohoo I'll be bored boohoo everyone I know will die, it's like I'm bored and everyone I know is dying and I'm mortal let's try out immortal why not

    All the time you need to procrastinate? Fuckin sign me up

    yegXk2N.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    ShadowenAndy Joe
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know that's a good point why doesn't Wolverine just fuckin shoot bad brown heroin all the time, an invincible man not shooting heroin is kind of an insult in a way

    Because then he'd swing around a dead cat in an alley, duh

    I'm missing something here

    This roughly covers it: http://comicsalliance.com/rise-of-arsenal-justice-league-worst/

    oh boy...

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
    KetarXaquinMrGrimoire
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like being immortal would have been harder on one's mental well-being centuries ago. There's like a billion different hobbies and past-times, now, with a dozen new hobbies (and entire fan communities) being invented every second. You'd need a lot more discipline back then not to go a little wobbly; now you can just be like "I guess I'll try some macrame this week".

    FencingsaxAndy JoeDevlin_DragonusMvrck
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    I guess that's a bad example because macrame is hundreds of years old.

    "I guess I'll try to 3D-print and hand-wire a mechanical keyboard this week"

    Delduwath on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    On the subject of whether or not it would suck to be Wolverine: One of my favorite depictions of an immortal, ever, is Hob Gadling in Gaiman's "The Sandman". Most of the immortals I've seen up until then were glum and mopey, all "Who Wants To Live Forever", and it's understandable for all the reasons we've already discussed. Then here's Hob, who isn't particularly special or distinctive in any way, and is granted immortality on a whim by two bored Endless. He lives several centuries, and when he and Morpheus meet again after Hob's had a particularly rough time (his family dying, the neighbors going after him on accusations of witchcraft, etc.), Morpheus asks him if he's ready to die, now. Hob thinks a bit and goes "Nah, there's still so much to live for".

    I think that's the most unique depiction of a familiar archetype I've ever seen. Yeah, life's rough, and multiple lives back-to-back are even rougher, and the pain and misery build up - but there's so much to live for. That really resonated with me.

    Everyone likes to shit on immortality like boohoo I'll be bored boohoo everyone I know will die, it's like I'm bored and everyone I know is dying and I'm mortal let's try out immortal why not

    All the time you need to procrastinate? Fuckin sign me up

    eh, maybe later

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    FencingsaxShadowenForever ZefiroRingoTamerBillJoolander
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I feel like being immortal would have been harder on one's mental well-being centuries ago. There's like a billion different hobbies and past-times, now, with a dozen new hobbies (and entire fan communities) being invented every second. You'd need a lot more discipline back then not to go a little wobbly; now you can just be like "I guess I'll try some macrame this week".

    Eh, I know enough people who struggle with depression (and have enough struggles with it myself) to consider immortality anything but a curse.

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It’s a little like some of the less-powerful versions of vandal savage; he’s not really that super or smart or whatever, but compound interest is a motherfucker

    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
    FencingsaxShadowenSorceDevlin_DragonusJoolanderMvrck
Sign In or Register to comment.