Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

1910121415100

Posts

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maybe Wolverine shouldn't be doing jack shit with the gems, they think of that?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Xaquin
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'd be down if it was grumpy headmaster Wolverine trying to teach adolescent cosmic beings.

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Kayne Red Robe
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Maybe Wolverine shouldn't be doing jack shit with the gems, they think of that?
    How do you feel about Wolverine, I am not sure

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    fencingsax genuine question

    does following this thread, or marvel news in general, spark joy

    StraightziGrey GhostJoolanderDouglasDangerLegacy
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    and im not trying to be shitty, its just, as someone whose tried to force himself to like things before, I know how frustrating it can be to keep following something that just constantly disappoints you

    and Ive been following this thread for like literally 3 years and I only ever see you upset or angry at marvel

    Legacy
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 29
    That is something I think about every so often.

    That was not supposed to be angry though. I am just amused that they are basically cramming every popular thing they have in one story

    Edit: I mean, all they are missing is a Wolverine: Herald of Galactus story. It's funny

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • RingoRingo Out of things to say Heartbreak HillRegistered User regular
    imo @Fencingsax has come a long way in the last few years in how they react to Marvel stuff in general on these boards. Seems a lot more calm and not as laser focused angry!

    I notice because I'm doing the same journey - trying to keep my mental health while still being interested to see if this company ever rights itself

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh dang, I just got to Runaways S02E10 and there's a surprising little nod to the Marvel movies
    Nico goes into a kind of fugue state with the Staff of One and she gets the stuff around her eyes like Kaecilius and his followers in Doctor Strange

    Dark Raven XSorceMvrck
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    imo @Fencingsax has come a long way in the last few years in how they react to Marvel stuff in general on these boards. Seems a lot more calm and not as laser focused angry!

    I notice because I'm doing the same journey - trying to keep my mental health while still being interested to see if this company ever rights itself

    I mean, I honestly try to just post less here, because I want people to enjoy Marvel comics, and if I don't, that's all right. The problem, of course, is that I have a record of being unpleasant, and my humor doesn't always bleed through the typed word.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Ringo
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread hates something about Marvel at this point, so no worries.

    Undead Scottsman on
    never dieZonugalElderlycrawfishShadowenWeedLordVegetajkylefultonBear_thescondMidniteBahamutZERO
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I still follow this thread largely because Marvel is a property that I care about and have immense nostalgia for, moreso than any other

    I restrict my posting, though, just because I realize an endless stream of negativity is rarely fun

    I hope that Marvel does something cool soon without immediately shitting their pants in public again

    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    ZonugalFencingsax
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    Yeah, over the last year or so, the books I follow has dropped significantly. At one point I was collecting:

    Ms. Marvel
    Generation X
    X-Men Gold
    X-Men Blue
    Iceman
    All New Wolverine
    Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
    US Avengers
    Spider-Gwen
    Iron-Man (Riri Williams)

    and the event books.

    Now I have:


    Ms Marvel
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man
    X-23

    And that's it. And that's mostly been the, in my opinion, weaker quality of the books I was collecting. Which has been good for indy creators cause I'm buying more of that stuff, but I am personally bummed cause I love me some X-Men but the story choices have just ground me down to the point where I don't want to read them anymore.

    The three I'm collecting I still believe are wonderful though.

    Edit: Granted, some of those books did get canceled, but I didn't pick up their follow-up books in many cases.

    never die on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty much just getting Ms. Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl now. They're fun and light and (usually) leave the rest of Marvel alone.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, Chincy isn't wrong in that I post a lot of stuff that is not positive about what is going on, and my negativity has been going on somewhat longer than others. I just tend to get fixated on what I don't like, to the point where it can overshadow everything else.

    Like, I can actually remember the panel that was my inflection point for X-Men stuff. That is super weird, and kind of unsettling.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Uhhhh

    Mostly just the combo thing

    Drax died

    Loki and Wolverine are guarding the Infinity Gems for....some reason

    And that's about it

    I thought the ending was Adam Warlock having all the gems and he gave them all souls and then they took off into parts unknown.

    Hey guys, I found it! The worst fucking idea anyone in the Marvel universe has ever had!

    Well seeing as apparently the Time Gem afterwards bonded with a crook to give him time-stop powers that let him escape prison, that might be a correct assessment of the situation.

    Other reading of that event, is the Time Gem bonded with a guy on death row who is probably innocent, but Texas, so ye know.

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I spent a long time getting very mad and aggressive about comics on the Internet and I am still unhappy about myself for doing that.

    Stopping reading comics was absolutely the right thing for me to do and I'm very glad I did. One day I will probably start again, but sometimes it's important to realise that something you basically thought about every day just doesn't make you happy any more and forcing it makes it much worse

    Is my opinion anyway

    SorceRingo
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    Like I'm convinced the reason why a lot of discourse on comics is bad is because a lot of people talking about them don't really like them any more but don't want to let go

    And that's a shame

    Solar on
    mxmarksgtrmpMidnitenever dieSorceDoctor DetroitDouglasDangerElderlycrawfishZonugalAndy JoeWeedLordVegetaDyvim TvarRingoShadowenCommander Zoom
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What you say makes a lot of sense.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    First time for everything, after all!

    FencingsaxCrippl3
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Like I'm convinced the reason why a lot of discourse on comics is bad is because a lot of people talking about them don't really like them any more but don't want to let go

    And that's a shame

    Could also be because they want them to be good again

    Still nothing to get super heated about though

  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    There are still comics I'm excited about whenever I see them coming out, but there are less and less these days it seems (I still post on GV here and there are many weeks that I just don't see any comics that interest me on the list). I had a bit written up for comics I got in 2018 which I liked, but didn't get around to posting it.

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Like I'm convinced the reason why a lot of discourse on comics is bad is because a lot of people talking about them don't really like them any more but don't want to let go

    And that's a shame

    Could also be because they want them to be good again

    Still nothing to get super heated about though

    I feel like there is such a thing as criticism from a place of love with a desire to improve things, and criticism that comes from a place of unwillingness to accept (for whatever reason) that it's no longer something that one finds engaging but they truly wish it did, and the latter is where I was and it is unhealthy IMO.

    XaquinStraightzi
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Like I'm convinced the reason why a lot of discourse on comics is bad is because a lot of people talking about them don't really like them any more but don't want to let go

    And that's a shame

    Wow, comics and wrestling really are the same thing

    Dyvim TvarCrippl3RingoShadowenKayne Red Robe
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Like I'm convinced the reason why a lot of discourse on comics is bad is because a lot of people talking about them don't really like them any more but don't want to let go

    And that's a shame

    Wow, comics and wrestling really are the same thing

    A lot of things that nerds love and have done for ages fall under this banner. Because they are very emotionally important, they're deeply ingrained in our personal culture, and therefore we struggle to let go when we really should

    Comic books. Wrestling. Star Wars. Certain movie genres. Music. The list goes on.

    Commander Zoom
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    ITT: Melancholy ruminations about growing up.

    XaquinFencingsaxCommander Zoom
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    it's a royal pain in the ass

    Nickle
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    It's not really melancholy tbh! I have never really been happier than I have been recently and as a person learning to let go, or learning to change what something means to you, is an important part of growth.

    If you are mad about comics because comics don't make you feel how you used to, arguing online will make it worse. That came to me the hard way. Letting it go is good and healthy, and you can always go back once you're ready!

    Solar on
    Mortal Sky
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I absolutely agree with you that recognizing that something you used to love no longer brings you joy - that it's even possible for something you used to love to no longer bring you joy - is a crucial part of growth, and I agree with you that letting go of those vestiges typically makes one feel happier and better.

    But, personally, the idea that something I love can eventually stop making me happy, even cause me pain as that love starts to curdle, makes me very melancholy. On the other hand, I can feel melancholy five times before I even have breakfast in the morning, it's one of my favorite emotions, so perhaps my outlook is somewhat colored by that.

    (The color is a misty grey, like on an overcast autumn day, with a splotches of water here and there, like raindrops clinging to a window pane.)

    DarkPrimustzeentchlingFencingsaxRingoShadowenCommander Zoom
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wonder if melancholy will ever stop bringing me joy. That's going to be an awkward and confusing day; I won't know how to feel about it.

    FencingsaxRingoShadowenCommander Zoom
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    In the last year or so Ive had to come to grips with the fact that mario and zelda, two of the most important game series to me and in some ways most formative experiences I had as a child, are just not for me anymore

    Its a sad feeling, but continuing to play them or hope theyll get good again doesnt do anything but hurt me, so moving on is the right choice

    it sucks but theres always new stuff to enjoy

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    In the last year or so Ive had to come to grips with the fact that mario and zelda, two of the most important game series to me and in some ways most formative experiences I had as a child, are just not for me anymore

    Its a sad feeling, but continuing to play them or hope theyll get good again doesnt do anything but hurt me, so moving on is the right choice

    it sucks but theres always new stuff to enjoy

    I think the difference here is that that's a matter of taste. The latest Mario and Zelda games are well constructed, just not for you. Marvel has made some truly significant missteps in the last couple of years, and doesm't seem interested in stopping.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    In the last year or so Ive had to come to grips with the fact that mario and zelda, two of the most important game series to me and in some ways most formative experiences I had as a child, are just not for me anymore

    Its a sad feeling, but continuing to play them or hope theyll get good again doesnt do anything but hurt me, so moving on is the right choice

    it sucks but theres always new stuff to enjoy

    I think the difference here is that that's a matter of taste. The latest Mario and Zelda games are well constructed, just not for you. Marvel has made some truly significant missteps in the last couple of years, and doesm't seem interested in stopping.

    ssssure, but noone here is defending or excited about all the bad editorial shit marvel is doing

    I'm referring to you being continually and exclusively upset by Marvel's narrative choices for like, literally 5 years, including a lot of things that most people did like

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time with marvel too

    Immortal Iron Fist and Aaron's Ghost Rider are two of my favorite books ever, and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man? is amazing too, but Marvel has made some really stupid choices with firing Wendig and promoting Beluski, among other things, and I will not support them until things change

    I'll watch the movies, but I won't buy any more comics

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Honestly my problems were less that they made bad creative decisions but more that I was just losing the comics I had read and loved for years without appreciating the ones that would replace them.

    Like I read every Thor issue since JMS brought him back, then Aaron made him unworthy, and I lost my shit. Because I wanted my Thor back! He's important to me! He made me feel happy when reading those comics and now he's gone!

    That's not a reasonable reaction. It's not a desire to read a good story over a bad one and it wasn't so much of a creative decision as an emotive one: I disagreed with it because I wanted to feel like I once had, and the new Thor could be the best written comic ever (it wasn't, but whatever) and it wouldn't have mattered.

    When it's about bad creative decisions, or bad company actions, that's a reasonable place to criticise from. When it's because you're clinging to something you know over something you don't because you feel like you need what you know, you actually need to step back and evaluate your priorities and maybe distance yourself from what makes you feel bad for your own good. Comics and I were really happy together and then we both changed and I couldn't accept that, so it went bad until I realised we needed to break up a long time ago.

    Anyway zen shit over and done with, how's Spider-Man these days

  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i don't follow Comics as a whole any more but i do follow the careers of individual writers i'm interested in

    it's better

    although i feel like we're losing writers rapidly, like what happened to grant morrison? is he just not working any more? did he sell out so hard that it killed him? did the katmandu aliens take him? where'd he go?

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    i don't follow Comics as a whole any more but i do follow the careers of individual writers i'm interested in

    it's better

    although i feel like we're losing writers rapidly, like what happened to grant morrison? is he just not working any more? did he sell out so hard that it killed him? did the katmandu aliens take him? where'd he go?
    He is writing Green Lantern right now and has multiple indie books out per year usually?

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    DouglasDangerFencingsaxCentipede Damascusnever dieMidniteWeedLordVegeta
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    i don't follow Comics as a whole any more but i do follow the careers of individual writers i'm interested in

    it's better

    although i feel like we're losing writers rapidly, like what happened to grant morrison? is he just not working any more? did he sell out so hard that it killed him? did the katmandu aliens take him? where'd he go?
    He is writing Green Lantern right now and has multiple indie books out per year usually?

    Also he’s been training an apprentice in Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Gerard Way's comics have been great

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gerard is pretty good.

    Morrison also has an annual Santa Claus book, doesn't he?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    never die
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    He is also Editor in Chief of Heavy Metal magazine, unless he stepped down

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
This discussion has been closed.