As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    No plans at this stage other than figuring out what all the knobs are supposed to do and making sure they do that.

pimento on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    No plans at this stage other than figuring out what all the knobs are supposed to do and making sure they do that.

Good to know you have the next 20 years of your life mapped out.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    But for serious, that's an excellent choice.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think my only real thing on my bucket list is to get a '72 or '73 Karmann-Ghia and piss away a bunch of time making it immaculate.

But I would absolutely do the two-tone paint job, robin's egg blue top, white bottom, with a strip of chrome separating them. Whitewall tires, and probably look into more modern seating on the inside over authenticity.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I think my only real thing on my bucket list is to get a '72 or '73 Karmann-Ghia and piss away a bunch of time making it immaculate.

But I would absolutely do the two-tone paint job, robin's egg blue top, white bottom, with a strip of chrome separating them. Whitewall tires, and probably look into more modern seating on the inside over authenticity.

The downstairs neighbor in the duplex I lived in during college had a Karmann Ghia in Roulette Green with a creamy white convertible top (and interior). The car was gorgeous but the guy was wrenching on it every single weekend, I think I only saw it actually running once in the year I lived there!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    It’s just a beetle in a pretty shell, right? It should honestly be pretty easy to keep rolling, those engines are really simple.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    It’s just a beetle in a pretty shell, right? It should honestly be pretty easy to keep rolling, those engines are really simple.

Yes it is. And while that makes everything dead simple to work on, it's also made as cheap as possible which means you'll have a lot of issues to fix when the thing hasn't been maintained for decades. And even if it's in good running order, they may be the type that is always doing "one more thing" to their cars vs driving the thing. My 1970 Mustang is in great shape, but I still spend more total time wrenching on it than driving it, since I only tend to take it out for shows a couple times a year.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Soooo hot. Want to touch the hiney.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g493324220

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh my

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Land Rover have unveiled the 2022 Land Rover Defender V8. It sports a supercharged 5.0L V8 developing 518hp 461tq and sending it through an 8-speed auto to all four wheels if you desire.

From The Drive article linked in their tweet:
    The Drive wrote:
    Don't think LR engineers have swapped in a V8 and called it a day, though, because in order to cope with the increased performance, the hot-rod Defender receives its own, bespoke chassis settings, different gearbox tuning, its own spring and damper rates, thicker anti-roll bars, and a new Electronic Active Rear Differential with Yaw Controller. There's even a new, V8-exclusive Dynamic drive mode integrated into the existing terrain select system which sharpens the throttle response, firms up the Continuous Variable Dampers, and "enhances" the V8's sound, likely through speakers.

• Options
    Don’t get me wrong, cause I’m always a proponent of sticking V8s in things, but why? Isn’t the Defender supposed to be along the lines of the Wrangler/Bronco/FJ? Not sure why they’re trying to make it Range Rover Lite, they already have that.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    They just stuck a hemi in the Wrangler as well, so... I guess ICE going out with a bang?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got my oil leak fixed today. The guy said the O ring on the oil filter had failed. Just in case anyone was curious. I did my best "I know exactly what you're talking about" nod.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That does make sense and hopefully they didn’t charge you an arm and a leg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    They didn't charge me anything, I assume because it was a dodgy part they put in when they did the service.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    They didn't charge me anything, I assume because it was a dodgy part they put in when they did the service.

Very unlikely to be an actual bad part. The two vastly more likely ways the filter o-ring would fail is if they left dirt on the sealing surface or if they did not put any oil on the o-ring to lubricate it. That is, improper installation, which would be their fault.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Don’t get me wrong, cause I’m always a proponent of sticking V8s in things, but why? Isn’t the Defender supposed to be along the lines of the Wrangler/Bronco/FJ? Not sure why they’re trying to make it Range Rover Lite, they already have that.

There have been V8 versions on and off throughout the old model's lifecycle, though often low volume specials. I feel like this is in that sort of mould. For the enthusiast crowd V8 swaps have always been a thing, because of the parts commonalities and compatibilities with the range rover, rover, and jaguar engines and gearboxes. So, to a certain kind of brand fan, this model will appeal in a way that a range rover wouldn't.

South Africa got a 2.8 straight six model using a BMW engine during the period of their ownership, which always seemed to me a far more sensible powerplant if you were determined not to have a diesel for whatever reason

japan on
  • Options

You could argue that in the US market shoving a supercharged V8 under the hood is a way to get more low-end torque, which is a thing that people driving a truck/off-roader might want. I don't know if you really need more than the turbo I6 already offers, but that's for the market to decide I guess.

Ideally they'd bring over one of the turbodiesel sixes over from Europe, but you know, Americans don't really buy diesels unless they're in a heavy duty pickup.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I guess I should say that it’s not the engine that’s confusing me so much as the suspension. The changes they listed say “performance handling package” to me, which seems really weird for an ostensibly hard core off roader. Like having a Jeep Wrangler track pack.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    I don't think the new Defender is an off roader in the same sense as the old one

Like, I don't see anyone buying it and using it as a commercial or farm vehicle, or using a forklift to put a europallet in the back like in the press photos

I think that niche has been largely seized by the commercial Dacia Duster over here, or by one of several 4x4 pickups

• Options
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/ctTi1wLXndg

Brian King brings his carbon fiber heavy, AWD swapped, supercharged 427 V8 powered '82 Cutlass to Hoonigan's drag strip. His launch in their first race is a sight to behold, just incredible grip and speed right out of the hole. The AWD system is pulled from a Chevy Trailblazer SS. Stick around to the end for some sick AWD burnouts/powerslides from the Cutlass.

jgeis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    anyone know of any reputable place to buy cars aside from carmaz and new car dealers in the MD/VA/DC area?

carmax is just slightly less than buying a brand new car.

my step daughter bought an ill advised 06 Accord that has in 1 year needed nearly 5k put in to it. I don't trust used car dealers because they're hot garbage so if we're going to look for used, they need to have at least a massive presence so they hopefully won't be as shady as 'slim's used car bag' or wherever.

edit: Enterprise used car sales is looking good

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I mean, a car is a car is a car. What you really want is a place that will allow you to get the car inspected by an independent mechanic. I’ve bought cars from eBay, Craigslist, buy here pay here lots, whatever. If they won’t let you get the car inspected then move on to the next place.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    anyone know of any reputable place to buy cars aside from carmaz and new car dealers in the MD/VA/DC area?

my step daughter bought an ill advised 06 Accord that has in 1 year needed nearly 5k put in to it. I don't trust used car dealers because they're hot garbage so if we're going to look for used, they need to have at least a massive presence so they hopefully won't be as shady as 'slim's used car bag' or wherever.

I've bought two cars from Carvana and it's been great.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I'll personally vouch for Brown's Honda City in Glen Burnie. When we bought our Fit from them the salesman helped us avoid spending extra money on options we didn't need.

I haven't used them myself but I see people rave about Carvana all the time.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh, and the main reason I came here. Is Android Auto just outright broken right now? My Pixel 5 can't even get recognized by the car much less launch the application on the head unit.

I've already gone through all the regular solutions like making sure I have a good cable, resetting the app's cache, uninstalling, etc. My car just refuses to admit there's a smart phone connected to it.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Isn't Enterprise's lot just their old rentals? If you're looking for a car that won't need repairs long term, I would strongly advise against ex-rental cars.

Edit: I need to note here that Enterprise does a bunch of stuff besides just rentals. They also do corporate leases... to places like my company. Where we promptly rip out the braking system, install our own, and beat on the cars mercilessly until it’s time to turn the lease back in, at which point we reinstall the factory brake system and toss them the keys.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Isn't Enterprise's lot just their old rentals? If you're looking for a car that won't need repairs long term, I would strongly advise against ex-rental cars.

really?

I'd figured they have to be super well taken care of to avoid bad press and lawsuits

• Options
    People beat on rentals, it’s just a thing that happens. Hence the adage “the fastest car in the world is a rental car.” The damage isn’t really a part suddenly failing, but increased wear over time. Maybe the engine starts burning oil at 100,000 miles when normally it would be fine. Maybe the ball joints are toast at 40,000 miles instead of 60,000. Maybe the differential gives up two years later because it spent the first 20,000 miles of its life doing burnouts at every red light. Who knows?

These are risks to every used car, but rentals and former leases see more of this abuse than cars that were purchased to own, IMO.

• Options
    Pertinent to the Defender V8 discussion:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/land-rover-110-v8-station-wagon-the-brave-pill/43840

That is the thick end of 13 grand (nearly US$18k) for a 1988 110 V8 that's technically a non-runner, and definitely in need of recommissioning and/or restoration

("Brave pill" is a column that picks out cars that are tempting but inadvisable purchases)

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So a couple weeks ago Harley-Davidson unveiled the specs on their Pan-America ADV-touring bike and,

somehow, against all odds,

it is way lighter, and a few hundred dollars cheaper, than the BMW GS or even the Ducati and KTM competition, while outputting 150 hp and 95 freedom units of torque

I'm still on the fence until actual reviews are out in a couple months but, if things go well with it in the first model year or two, damn I might actually buy a Harley???

• Options

One of the two privately owned Chrysler turbine-powered cars was up for sale via Hemmings. The listing has been taken down now, perhaps there was a buyer or perhaps there was too much interest and the seller decided to go another route.

Chrysler started testing turbine power plants for automotive applications in the 1930s, and by the 1960s they had put experimental gas turbines into a number of their cars for testing purposes. Then in 1963/64 they built 55 examples of these dedicated Turbine Cars to conduct a more wide ranging public test of the concept. Of those 55 cars, 46 were destroyed at the end of the test, 5 of the remaining cars went to museums, 2 are still held by Chrysler, and 2 are in private ownership (one of which is owned by Jay Leno).

The whole history of the Chrysler turbine power plant development program is pretty interesting. The turbines had some definite advantages over piston engines, and also some definite disadvantages that ultimately led to the project's end.

• Options
    Huh, I just watched the Leno's Garage episode on this car like yesterday, lol.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Jeep finally takes the wraps off the new Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. Both of them are three-row SUVs with either 7 or 8 seats depending on configuration. Seems like the differences between the two models largely come down to the engines, the amenities, some interior materials, and some styling differences.

I don't know if anyone in this thread is shopping for big honkin' family trucks but these seem like pretty strong contenders in terms of amenities/tech, towing capacity, and even soft-roader capability.

jgeis on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to be buying one of the new Broncos in a few months, I'm incredibly tired of having to cancel hiking, camping and snow related plans because my Mustang can't handle the roads. But man am I going have some serious buyers remorse if the rumors of the Electric Hybrid models for 2022 are true.

• Options
    I'd at least wait for the non sport Bronco, anyway.

• Options
    Matt and Zack from The Smoking Tire just yesterday put up a video of them taking the Bronco Sport Badlands trim out off-road. Seems really capable, especially considering that it’s on street tires.

https://youtu.be/jWZjztn9bsQ

• Options
    The new Bronco having the same grille as the Raptor that then got adopted by actual F-series trucks is really unsettling, for some reason.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im interested in the small truck based off the bronco chassis. The marauder? Gimme dem small trucks!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Im interested in the small truck based off the bronco chassis. The marauder? Gimme dem small trucks!

Might I interest you in a Toyota Hilux N80? Small truck size, medium truck power, big Toyota energy.