A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never driven a V8

Are v8s cool

I drove a V6 Impala a couple times. The extra acceleration was awesome.

For most car people, a deep v8 rumble just can't be replicated, even with the age of the v8 coming to an end. I'll certainly miss it in our electric future, though v8s will be around for quite a while still yet.

Man, a few weeks ago a Hellcat stopped next to me at an intersection, driven by some 60-something who I couldn't convince to rev it up. I pondered, in my weary silent sadness, why a person would buy a Hellcat and just drive it like a fucking Avalon.

Hahaha. A couple years ago a blacked out Challenger was sitting at a stop light. It was before the Hellcats but it was definitely a top end one that might have been modded. The v8 had a nice lope to it. A shitty Acura Integra with a chopped exhaust pulls up next do it and starts revving, its exhaust popping like its going to throw a piston. Anyways the light turns green and the challenger is just gone. It barely got up above a purr before it was through the intersection and rapidly pulling away. Not even like burning out speeding or anything, It just accelerated. The sad little Integra is sitting there winding out the engine and barely moving. All sound, no fury. You can make an Integra go fast. these people had declined to do so.

I used to do this to get dipshits to floor it and cause a scene while I accelerated like a normal non-asshole.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    As much as I love my v8 mustang now

If I can get an electric one that does anything approaching this

https://youtu.be/uyd6ONBV5V4

for a semi reasonable price I will never look back

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Just saw this pop up in my Twitter feed lol.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Did they build one of the cyberpunk cars? That’s fucking rad

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

now THIS is an electric car I will go out of my way to buy

sell this car. sell me this car. i will buy it.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    And/or have a catalogue of bits to retrofit to originals. I'd love it if Merc put together a catalogue of stuff I could bolt into my old W114 to make it an EV.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The last v8 I drove was a 2016 Camaro as factory rental and I accidentally went to fast and I'd love to drive the flat plane c8 or any c8 they finally made a Vette I wanna drive and not look at

But I also love the boxer engine andik going to will my self into a BRZ some how probably not but yolo

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Did Hyundai just build a K car?

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

The radio better be hardwired to retro synthwave.

I would consider buying one of these so hard too!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hyundai continues to have their shit together when it comes to aesthetics, that Pony they have is pretty fucking great too.

I still love how my 2021 Elantra Limited Hybrid looks.

But goddamn I want that Grandeur Heritage EV badly.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    My first car was a 1979 Firebird that had a V8 that guzzled gas and delivered little power. It's the only V8 I've ever had. I adore the sound they make, but I get 7L/100km when driving my current car on the highway, and there's no way a V8 that delivers 400hp is going to do that.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    My first car was a 1979 Firebird that had a V8 that guzzled gas and delivered little power. It's the only V8 I've ever had. I adore the sound they make, but I get 7L/100km when driving my current car on the highway, and there's no way a V8 that delivers 400hp is going to do that.

Yea the current Mustang GT is around 11.8L per 100km.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    ob4f60tvlhk1.jpeg

Per the EPA a Corvette should theoretically achieve similar highway MPG to the Infiniti/Nissan cars with the 3.0TT V6 (which is what Nova_C drives IIRC), but gets significantly worse mileage in the city. Real world is another thing, of course, although anecdotally I’ve heard from Corvette owners that they really do sip (relatively speaking) gas when cruising on the freeway. Sleek shape and an engine that barely has to turn to keep the car in motion would explain it.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've always been fascinated with the parallel Australian universe where performance pony cars had straight sixes, in a way we didn't really get in the States

If I had dumb money to import one and restomod it, why yes I'd love to find an old Holden and tune it up

• Options

What is that in freedom units? I average about 14 mpg around town and 22 on the highway. Granted I cruise at 80 with 3.73 gears, so 🤷🏻

And around town, well, that can get as low as 8 if I'm having fun. But, I didn't buy it to not have fun, and luckily I live 7 miles from work.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My car gets 40mpg highway but since I never take the highway anywhere I get like 28mpg.

Luckily I don't have a commute so I'm only spending hundreds of dollars a month on a car I use maybe twice a week to go to appointments or the store. At least I only need to drop 25 bucks in the tank every 6 weeks

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

What is that in freedom units? I average about 14 mpg around town and 22 on the highway. Granted I cruise at 80 with 3.73 gears, so 🤷🏻

And around town, well, that can get as low as 8 if I'm having fun. But, I didn't buy it to not have fun, and luckily I live 7 miles from work.

Its 24 freeway, and i think 17 in town. So with your gearing you are probably spot on. I think the standard GT is 3.31.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    ob4f60tvlhk1.jpeg

Per the EPA a Corvette should theoretically achieve similar highway MPG to the Infiniti/Nissan cars with the 3.0TT V6 (which is what Nova_C drives IIRC), but gets significantly worse mileage in the city. Real world is another thing, of course, although anecdotally I’ve heard from Corvette owners that they really do sip (relatively speaking) gas when cruising on the freeway. Sleek shape and an engine that barely has to turn to keep the car in motion would explain it.

Yeah the 2002 Z06 in my sig averaged 26 mpg with a mix of 40% City 60% highway. That’s not really apples to apples with a 4 door sedan though. My SS sedan averaged 22-23 on the same route, so not awful but not as good as the Infiniti.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Damn, that's only marginally worse than what my Scion tC gets (about 19-21 city and 28-33ish highway) on a fat 4-cylinder

• Options
    A big V8 can keep the revs down on the highway. If I stayed closer to 65 I'd probably be able to get 25 mpg consistently.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I have the coupe, the Q60, and driving it around town it gets abysmal gas mileage. My previous car was the 2.5L NA Impreza, though, which was decent (But not great for four cylinders).
    Considering I do drive it for road trips, highway mileage is more relevant to me (There's not much driving to be down in and around town in Yellowknife), and along a flat, straight stretch, 7L/100km is pretty normal. The Impreza did about 5.5L/100km in a similar 'best case' setting.

I pay $1.72/L for premium up here, so I'd hate to drive something that was really bad on gas.

Oh, and the Q60 has a 72L tank, which is convenient. To drive out of Yellowknife, I usually do my first day of about 11 hours to Peace River, in Alberta. I used to stop twice - I'd gas up at Ft Providence, about 4 hours outside of Yellowknife, and then again at High Level, another four hours later. In the Q60, I can get to High Level with almost a quarter tank left, which is great, because the station by Ft Prov is usually about 20 cents more per liter.

Edit: And just so you get a picture of the driving - Ft Prov is literally the first place you can gas up outside of Yellowknife. In between Ft Prov and High Level, there is only one community, Enterprise, but I've never stopped there. It's all wilderness driving, for hours and hours.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Supposedly folks with my LS400 have seen 29mpg pure highway. Best I saw was about 25 with a car full of people.

• Options
    I have the coupe, the Q60, and driving it around town it gets abysmal gas mileage. My previous car was the 2.5L NA Impreza, though, which was decent (But not great for four cylinders).
    Considering I do drive it for road trips, highway mileage is more relevant to me (There's not much driving to be down in and around town in Yellowknife), and along a flat, straight stretch, 7L/100km is pretty normal. The Impreza did about 5.5L/100km in a similar 'best case' setting.

I pay $1.72/L for premium up here, so I'd hate to drive something that was really bad on gas.

Oh, and the Q60 has a 72L tank, which is convenient. To drive out of Yellowknife, I usually do my first day of about 11 hours to Peace River, in Alberta. I used to stop twice - I'd gas up at Ft Providence, about 4 hours outside of Yellowknife, and then again at High Level, another four hours later. In the Q60, I can get to High Level with almost a quarter tank left, which is great, because the station by Ft Prov is usually about 20 cents more per liter.

Edit: And just so you get a picture of the driving - Ft Prov is literally the first place you can gas up outside of Yellowknife. In between Ft Prov and High Level, there is only one community, Enterprise, but I've never stopped there. It's all wilderness driving, for hours and hours.

The cheapest premium gasoline in my neighborhood (Inglewood, part of the Los Angeles metro) is up to $1.52/L. We're closing in! And it sucks!

• Options
    So I bought my Crown Vic in April 2014. I bought it for $1800. In the intervening years I've spent $15k in fuel and maybe 4k in repairs (the repairs are fine, its a 16 year old car). It makes my head hurt. In 2013, we bought my wife a brand new Hyundai Elantra GT. Between the cost of her car and it's fuel savings, we're at parity. I could have been driving around in a much nicer car this whole time. You really gotta think about the fuel cost over time and if you're getting what you want out of your vehicle.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn that's a pretty stark difference, how much was the Elantra GT to start?

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Damn that's a pretty stark difference, how much was the Elantra GT to start?

18k. between the gas sipping and lack of any significant repair bills, it really equalized the price.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm still super thankful I pulled the trigger on my Elantra Hybrid. It looks fantastic, it's fun to drive, and I drove 1000 miles a few weeks ago and got 45 mpg doing it.

I think my only regret years from now might be that I got a conventional hybrid rather than a plug-in but for now I'm really happy with what I got.

And my wife is continually looking at EV's to replace her 02 Subaru Outback with in a year or two, she's been all over the Solterra that was unveiled yesterday.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Yeah I'm still super thankful I pulled the trigger on my Elantra Hybrid. It looks fantastic, it's fun to drive, and I drove 1000 miles a few weeks ago and got 45 mpg doing it.

I think my only regret years from now might be that I got a conventional hybrid rather than a plug-in but for now I'm really happy with what I got.

And my wife is continually looking at EV's to replace her 02 Subaru Outback with in a year or two, she's been all over the Solterra that was unveiled yesterday.

In the Elantra GT tucked up behind a semi I've been able to get up to 38mpg on the interstate. The gas lasts forever!

I'm looking at trucks right now and even the big V6s get like 5mpg better than my crown vic, so anything I buy will cost me less in fuel while providing more power, comfort and utility.

webguy20 on
  • Options

This has to be money laundering, right? Shill bidding?

Right?

Right!?!?

• Options
    I'm really glad I upgraded when I did because it feels like it'd be near impossible to get a new car now without being hosed.

• Options
    edited November 2021

The average price of a gallon of regular gas (87 AKI) has hit $4.682 here, the highest average price ever seen in the state of California.

jgeis on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I paid $4.19 for 93 in central upstate NY. Regular gas was $3.79 I think.

To be honest I rarely if ever pay any attention to what gas costs. The only reason I actually noticed this time was because I happened to look at the sign on the pump out of boredom and noticed it was over $4. My last couple of cars have all needed premium so I just pay whatever it is.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I can't wait for electric cars to be so efficient that aerodynamics don't matter at all.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Oh god yes please.

• Options
    I do not care for the back end of that car.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I thought it was backend of a civic at first

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Dixon wrote: »
    I thought it was backend of a civic at first

They aren't identical but they are certainly similar.

5qgcsslz8grs.png

webguy20 on