As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Bluh, wrecked my Scion tC yesterday, thanks to standing ice on the highway, and an SUV stopped dead in the fast lane in a surprisingly blind spot. Brakes did fuck all, but the car let me get out safely even at like 55mph impact

No idea what I'm doing for a new car if anything, but the rental company gave me a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to play with since it was the first thing they had dug out of the snow yesterday

My brother has a spare 2013 Civic, that might be the move for the future

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Fuuuck that sucks

Glad you were able to walk away though

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Bluh, wrecked my Scion tC yesterday, thanks to standing ice on the highway, and an SUV stopped dead in the fast lane in a surprisingly blind spot. Brakes did fuck all, but the car let me get out safely even at like 55mph impact

No idea what I'm doing for a new car if anything, but the rental company gave me a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to play with since it was the first thing they had dug out of the snow yesterday

My brother has a spare 2013 Civic, that might be the move for the future

I don't want to give the wrong impression by awesoming this post, but it's awesome you're safe.

Good luck to you on getting a replacement car.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    saw a supra in person for the first time today... wow, what a car...

too bad no convertible option though

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Can already imagine police chases "it's a white, now silver, now blue BMW".

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    For anyone paying better attention, the dude in the press conference said it was e-ink, right? Doesn't that limit them to black/white? I mean it's still hella cool but I wanted it to be actual color changes when I saw the headlines, I want the future to be cooler!

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    For anyone paying better attention, the dude in the press conference said it was e-ink, right? Doesn't that limit them to black/white? I mean it's still hella cool but I wanted it to be actual color changes when I saw the headlines, I want the future to be cooler!

Yes it is e-ink based so greyscale only at this point. Buy hey that is ~60% of car sales...

The more depressing thought is that all new cars come with e-ink ads along the side that you have to pay a monthly fee to disable.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

Yes it is e-ink based so greyscale only at this point. Buy hey that is ~60% of car sales...

The more depressing thought is that all new cars come with e-ink ads along the side that you have to pay a monthly fee to disable.

Would you get that if it meant you got paid $100 a month? What about $500?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Ethea wrote: »

Would you get that if it meant you got paid $100 a month? What about $500?

For $500 sure. I can go get the car wrapped and make some steady income :biggrin:

• Options
    The mechanic came back with two options: one with a new OEM block, and one with boring the old block and all new aftermarket internals. I need to call him tomorrow and ask about reliability of the second option, and about replacing the clutch.

Any suggestions on what else I should ask about?

OPTION 1:
    teardown, inspection, build and install all back together and clean oil pump
    OEM subaru short block
    complete engine gasket set
    clean and pressure test,complete head work
    Oil filter 1
    Brake in oil 5qrs
    Thermostat
    coolant
    Oil cooler
    Front cover/oil pump
    Spark plugs

$5,700

OPTION 2:
    teardown, inspection, build and install all back together and clean oil pump
    Crank shaft
    Manley 15+ Subaru FA20 WRX 86.25mm +.25mm Over Size Bore 10:1 Dish Piston Set with Rings
    Manley Subaru FA20 2.0L H Tuff Connecting Rod Set
    King connecting rods bearings set
    ACL main bearing set
    complete engine gasket set
    bore and hone block
    balance crank and all internal part
    clean and pressure test, complete head work
    disassemble motor and reassemble, gaping piston rings, plastic gage rods bearings and main bearings, check for clearance
    Oil filter
    Brake in oil 5qrs
    Thermostat
    coolant
    Oil cooler
    Front cover/oil pump
    spark plugs

$6,500

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    If rebuilding the current block is more expensive AND potentially less reliable, seems like the new short block would be the obvious choice

• Options
    Yeah like, I'm confused why anyone would choose option 2. Is the assumption that the aftermarket rods and pistons are going to be more reliable than the stock ones? I'm not totally sure what the logic is here.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with the Subaru aftermarket so I don't know if those Manley parts are high quality, but it seems like option 2 only makes sense if you're going to build out the engine for more power. And in that case you'd probably not stop with that parts list, you'd probably spend extra to just go whole-hog, maybe throw in a turbo and the associated parts.

If you've got no interest in that, there's really no point in spending the extra cash.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'd also be asking about warranty periods on both options. The aftermarket parts might be stronger and potentially not have whatever weakness caused the issue in the first place (worth asking about), but if there's no warranty then no sale.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Do modern LED headlights have like zero cutoff in the z axis? Is their throw angles 3° like halogens/xenons are? I swear every single one whose lights are higher than say, a civic, are blinding me constantly in my normal human sedan.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    People are just bad at actually using the correct vertical setting for their lights and every modern car is an SUV where the lights sit way high anyway?

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the Subaru aftermarket so I don't know if those Manley parts are high quality, but it seems like option 2 only makes sense if you're going to build out the engine for more power. And in that case you'd probably not stop with that parts list, you'd probably spend extra to just go whole-hog, maybe throw in a turbo and the associated parts.

If you've got no interest in that, there's really no point in spending the extra cash.

I agree. I wonder if the mechainic is thinking you are running extra boost with the stock internals.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

The one thing ill say in favor is that its an EV. most people dont understand the risk of fucking around with high voltage systems. At least with a running engine its letting you know its dangerous. An EV system just sits there.

Of note the windshield wiper fluid port is on the exterior of the vehicle, so there really isnt a reason for most folks to go poking under the hood.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Low tire pressure light is on but it's too goddamn cold and my asthma is acting up to much to go run my compressor

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I remember the Audi A2 had a bonnet/hood that was a fixed body panel so it couldn't be opened. I think it required going in under the wings and unbolting those to get access to it.

It did have a nifty arrangement where all the fluid reservoirs were built into a dummy grille that flipped open, though, so it wasn't that it wasn't serviceable.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine a future where I can't fix little things on my own car without taking it to a dealer and I hate it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine a future where I can't fix little things on my own car without taking it to a dealer and I hate it.

it comes

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Most super high end cars have been like this for decades, and the folks who can afford them aren't shade tree mechanics anyways.

For regular cars there will probably still be access. My big fear in the coming years are subscriptions for installed features. $20 month for heated and cooled seats baby.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Most super high end cars have been like this for decades, and the folks who can afford them aren't shade tree mechanics anyways.

For regular cars there will probably still be access. My big fear in the coming years are subscriptions for installed features. $20 month for heated and cooled seats baby.

That's kinda what the current head of VW wants. One car for several price ranges, with different features unlocked.

• Options
    I cant wait to download a crack for my car to unlock my AC.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

They'll remote brick your car when they find out.

• Options

Gotta disable the cellular connection.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Gotta disable the cellular connection.
    Connection to Toyota unable to be established. Car is disabled. Please contact Toyota Technical Support at 1-800-EAT-A-DICK. Thank you for buying a license to operate a Toyota.

• Options
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It's possible this was a rolling shell that someone robbed the original engine to build into a 250 GTO replica, so might as well stuff something in there.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just remembered I only owe 23 more months on my car before I own it.

I hate loans.

• Options

Every day I wake up in Los Angeles and remember how thankful I am to not have to deal with winter weather anymore.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Are they driving on bald tires?

• Options
    Thats an ice slide right there.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Thats an ice slide right there.

Yep, had a bunch of that level of ice here last week for a bit. Nothing spookier.

• Options
    So my Jeep uses lug bolts with a chromed aluminum cap on them, so that they look pretty with alloy wheels, but the caps have a tendency to bust off the bolts either due to swelling from the weather/road salt (not huge problem here) or from them being beat on by a lazy mechanic with an air wrench (likely culprit).

Some of mine have apparently fallen victim to this condition, and now tire shops are like “Yo we don’t want to work on them and break them more, or damage the bolt.”

So now I have to order a set of cap-less replacement bolts and go to the dealer or a good mechanic to get the old ones out of the wheel hubs and get the new ones installed, at which point this should never be a problem again.

The new bolts aren’t even that expensive, like $40 for the whole car, but I’m sure the old ones will be a pain in the ass to remove and I’ll get dinged with labor charges.

• Options
    The off road tires on that F150 are awful on ice, but snow over ice is dangerous no matter what

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I had an eventful week.
    My mom had an old 2000 Ford Expedition, that we've been driving since my Eclipse bit it in 2017. It has been leaking oil forever and coolant for a while now. I had to replace an ignition coil and spark plug last year, and a couple weeks ago, it started doing the same thing as it did then. Chugging when giving it gas or going up a hill.

I took it to a place and they flashed the computer, and the #8 cylinder was misfiring. #8 is under the driver's side dash, and my left thumb has almost stopped working, so I was hoping it could be fixed relatively cheaply, and I took it to Pep Boys.

Before you say anything, I know of no local reputable mechanic who isn't hired by a major company like that, but they've seemed okay in the past and have done several things to the SUV in the last couple years.

Other than the leaks, this car has suspension work that needs doing, and the rear door won't open anymore. The latch turns but the lock doesn't disengage.

Pep Boys said they first tested the head gasket because of the leaking coolant, and I had a blown head gasket. They said they don't do that kind of work but it would probably run about $4-5000.

After being sick for the remainder of the day over the stress and thinking I was driving a ticking time bomb, my mom started prompting me to look at buying a new car. You know mom's can be. When they "prompt" you to do something. Just bringing it up randomly and not letting it go. Well, that started Monday. And that whole day screwed up my sleep schedule because I normally sleep during the day and work nights. By Thursday, I had and actual good night's sleep for the first time since 2016. Woke up at 10:30 am, and before mom got out of bed, went online and checked out the local Kia place and Carmax.

Carmax had a "See if you can get a loan" tool and it told me an amount I was pre-approved for, which I hadn't expected with my credit rating. It also had an Appraisal tool to tell you the trade-in value of your car. I filled it out, being as truthful as I could. It couldn't decide about our car, so it told me I needed to bring it in. I told my mom, and we got ready to be there a couple hours later.

Now, the loan tool said I would need a $2000 down payment, which I didn't have, and when we got to Carmax, I kept stressing that to the salesperson. She told us we could look around while were waiting for our appraisal.

I had seen a few cars online I was interested in, but I kept telling myself I couldn't afford them. I know they aren't the best, but I like Kia Souls and they had a few. There was one, a 2108, 59k miles on it, nice color, had the features I would like, but seemed out of my price range and it wasn't parked in a space. It was parked in from of several other cars. I thought maybe they had pulled it around for someone else.

Anyway, about the appraisal... last year, I looked up the Kelly Blue Book value on the SUV and it said about $350. So I really didn't expect them to offer anything for it, but they told me they would give us $700. I had not expected that much at all. And then the salesperson started saying she could use that instead of the $2000 down payment .

When I started the day, I was only trying to see what the possibilities were, not buy a new car. But now, because my mom helped pay the insurance, gave me her car to trade in, and with a whole lot of luck, I now own my own car again.
    s6yjw5ygmjl8.jpg

tl;dr: I have a new car again.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg