As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Where are my cool EV performance cars?

Give them to meee!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Well there's Porsche Taycan for one and whatever the yoke steering wheel Tesla is called.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    taycan, rs e-tron gt, model s plaid

If you want an EV hyper car phone your friend(s) at rimac and lotus and get yourself a nevera and evija

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I guess I should've started that with "fuck tesla" and then posed the question.

E-tron looks rad but too slow for the price.

The taycans with the big numbers are super car priced.

I'm looking for the normal sportscars/ performance cars. Cars 50k to 100k with a focus on performance in the EV market. I know we still need more time. But thats what I am talking about.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I'm looking for the normal sportscars/ performance cars. Cars 50k to 100k with a focus on performance in the EV market. I know we still need more time. But thats what I am talking about.

Yea theres nothing really that can stack up against Tesla for performance in the sub 100k market currently.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

BMW has the i4, reviews hit the internet this week. Apparently BMW was conservative both in terms of advertised range and acceleration performance, they say 0-60mph happens in 3.7 seconds but reviewers are getting reliable, verified times closer to 3.2 seconds. Handling is comparable to the gasoline M440i and the price is around $70k.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the AMG EQS looks rad but yeah that's a $160k car at sticker price

it ain't cheap to make a good electric drivetrain and also have top-end fit and finish, Harley just announced its mid-size Livewire is gonna be a hair under $18k for 100 miles city range and a sub-500 lb weight

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    There is also the Lucid Motors brand, I heard the car is amazing, but yeah the pricing is still a bit on the high end.

Spoilered for size:
    vlr8bvn3lzx3.png

Dixon on
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    There is also the Lucid Motors brand, I heard the car is amazing, but yeah the pricing is still a bit on the high end.

I was thinking the exact same thing but the high horsepower cars cost double the base car which is around 78k and only has 480HP. The 900+ ones are at least 140k and 1000+ ones are 170k.

I recall the Smoking Tire saying it's more of a luxury cruiser than a sports car too. Just a wildly fast luxury cruiser.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I heard the same, it's more of a luxury cruiser then sports car. It sounds like it does still handle amazingly though and the cabin experience is top shelf.

The top models are crazy but even entry level, 480hp isn't exactly low hahaha. I think the 0-60 is just under 4 seconds.

If I ever go back to contract work, I'll probably try to pick one of these up as a car. Being able to write off the majority of the payment is always a bonus.

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2022

:shrug: Car costs 20k over the RS7 and posts better 1/4 mile times, and is barely edges out an R8 coupe. For an Audi the price to performance seems exactly in line with the rest of the lineup.

Would I rather spend the money on an R8, absolutely. Could I get a faster straight line electric car without an Audi interior for 20k less? yes but I wouldn't make that trade.

We live in crazy times where a car that posts 1/4 times of 11sec at any price is considered 'slow'

Ethea on
  • Options
    Ethea wrote: »

:shrug: Car costs 20k over the RS7 and posts better 1/4 mile times, and is barely edges out an R8 coupe. For an Audi the price to performance seems exactly in line with the rest of the lineup.

Would I rather spend the money on an R8, absolutely. Could I get a faster straight line electric car without an Audi interior for 20k less? yes but I wouldn't make that trade.

We live in crazy times where a car that posts 1/4 times of 11sec at any price is considered 'slow'

Oh yea im not slamming the etron or anything.

But its again more of a luxury car than a sportscar. I'm looking for using the EV power focused on performance.

• Options

GM sending out one more gasoline-devouring monster before they’re no longer viable.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

11sec isn't objectively slow, though it is a bit relative. A modern 4 cylinder Honda Accord is just as fast on the 1/4 mile as a 60s/70s V8 muscle car for example.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    We are all waiting for 2025? at that point we will have more info on things like the porsche cayman ev, lotus emira ev, dodge charger/challenger ev, etc.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    The Escalade V has been in the works in one form or another since at least 2014, so of course they decide to release it when gas is $4.50/gallon.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Having a performance EV is really kind of against the point of an EV.
    So I wouldn't expect to get a lower class level of performance EV, like a Mustang GT or even a BRZ or Miata level. I wouldn't expect for us commoners to get a cheap entry level performance EV for many years. I don't think the market is ready, and there's still not enough adoption of EVs. In addition to the tech on the batteries, we won't be getting anything that costs less for a while.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    The Escalade V has been in the works in one form or another since at least 2014, so of course they decide to release it when gas is $4.50/gallon.

The cheapest gas in my neighborhood (outside of Costco, which requires a paid membership) dropped to $4.99 for about a week and a half, now it's back up to $5.19.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

11sec isn't objectively slow, though it is a bit relative. A modern 4 cylinder Honda Accord is just as fast on the 1/4 mile as a 60s/70s V8 muscle car for example.

I was thinking about this the other day. I grew up with a poster of the Countach on my wall.

Was never able to buy a Lamborghini, but I think the Countach had 450hp or something like that? I'm genuinely curious if my Q60 at 400hp is in the ballpark of 80s super cars and maybe I did achieve my dream after all.

I may be totally out of my mind, but technology has advanced quite a bit in the last 40 years.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Scant details but VW is preparing to launch an EV pickup and an EV SUV in the USA under the Scout brand with production scheduled to start in 2026. Yes, that's the same Scout branding that was used by International Harvester back from the '60s-'80s. I didn't realize that VW owned the rights to that brand, but apparently they acquired them last year when they bought Navistar.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I was thinking about this the other day. I grew up with a poster of the Countach on my wall.

Was never able to buy a Lamborghini, but I think the Countach had 450hp or something like that? I'm genuinely curious if my Q60 at 400hp is in the ballpark of 80s super cars and maybe I did achieve my dream after all.

I may be totally out of my mind, but technology has advanced quite a bit in the last 40 years.

You did. A Q60 does a 12.8s quarter. A 1983 LP500S could do the quarter in 13.5s and a 1986 5000QV would do it in 13.7s. And the Q60's 0-60 times are about a full second quicker than the Lambo as well.

• Options

You did. A Q60 does a 12.8s quarter. A 1983 LP500S could do the quarter in 13.5s and a 1986 5000QV would do it in 13.7s. And the Q60's 0-60 times are about a full second quicker than the Lambo as well.

If only I could have gotten it in manual.

Ah well, the paddles are still p fun.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    So I wouldn't expect to get a lower class level of performance EV, like a Mustang GT or even a BRZ or Miata level. I wouldn't expect for us commoners to get a cheap entry level performance EV for many years. I don't think the market is ready, and there's still not enough adoption of EVs. In addition to the tech on the batteries, we won't be getting anything that costs less for a while.

No it isn't. EVs are for transportation. Transportation is better when it's fun. The max torque at 0 rpm nature of electric motors makes it very easy for EVs to be fun.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

No it isn't. EVs are for transportation. Transportation is better when it's fun. The max torque at 0 rpm nature of electric motors makes it very easy for EVs to be fun.

EVs are for transportation, sure. But I don't believe much of the market, based on the models out there, are for people who want anything more than a comfortable appliance which will get them from point A to B. There happen to be benefits to having immediate torque compared to an ICE, sure. And that is a draw for people who like lots of torque. But the other 99% of the people it's just a quick quirky toaster that makes them comfortable as they travel around.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

and shoot, a lot of modern sport sedans and hot hatchbacks are better track cars than the average supercar prior to surprisingly recent points in time

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

EVs are for transportation, sure. But I don't believe much of the market, based on the models out there, are for people who want anything more than a comfortable appliance which will get them from point A to B. There happen to be benefits to having immediate torque compared to an ICE, sure. And that is a draw for people who like lots of torque. But the other 99% of the people it's just a quick quirky toaster that makes them comfortable as they travel around.

Yes, but the car people that others ask "what should I buy?" like the performance stuff, and a lot of that trickles down to regular models.

• Options

For the people who just an electric car for basic transportation and nearly all of the sub 50k stuff maybe. But everything high end and expensive is all about huge power numbers and speed. There is absolutely a market for people who want a fast sports car like EV. They all just cost well into the 6 figure range.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t a point to a fast EV. Cost aside, now you can have a very very fast car that isn't a gas guzzler and is bad for the environment. How is that not awesome?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    We are just in the first mainstream wave of EVs. We have a bunch of commuter cars (Bolt, EV6, Niro EV, etc), some mid tier sporty stuff (Mach E, Model 3), some high end stuff (Model S plaid, Lucid), and some exotics. I feel like that already parallels the current split between economy and performance cars in the ICE world, and we already know more performance EVs are coming (Corvette for example)

• Options
    We are just in the first mainstream wave of EVs. We have a bunch of commuter cars (Bolt, EV6, Niro EV, etc), some mid tier sporty stuff (Mach E, Model 3), some high end stuff (Model S plaid, Lucid), and some exotics. I feel like that already parallels the current split between economy and performance cars in the ICE world, and we already know more performance EVs are coming (Corvette for example)

This has been my question - like, EVs have occupied this space of weird looking cars for a while until Tesla went mainstream. I always wondered why car makers didn't just....use existing models, but create EV versions. Now that's starting to happen more and more.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    In many fields, the early adopters are often enthusiasts. I think sporty EV's for regular consumers will come.

• Options
    Yea one of the main reasons Tesla’s were popular was upscale performance.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

This has been my question - like, EVs have occupied this space of weird looking cars for a while until Tesla went mainstream. I always wondered why car makers didn't just....use existing models, but create EV versions. Now that's starting to happen more and more.

Fitting an EV drivetrain in to an ICE floorpan requires a lot of compromise. Automakers really needed the time to create dedicated platforms to make EVs that actually work well enough.

The other issue with cheap performance EVs (something like a BRZ/MX-5 or a Supra/Nizzan Z) is that the EV would handle worse, and be heavier (or slower, or both) and more expensive than the ICE model. So who wants that when they're after performance? I really do hope Mazda are looking at doing an EV MX-5 with a rotary range extender to mitigate smaller batteries and thus be lighter when they do the next model, but it's a heck of a niche market.

pimento on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    New Z info finally out!

And its looking pretty good.

For someone cross shopping it vs the Supra im definitely leaning harder towards the Z.

Each one offers a few small advantages over the other. At the end of the day they are both quite good cars and its really going to come down to aesthetics and some little preferences.

Since everything else is so close the aesthetics of the Z(exterior and interior) are whats making the decision for me.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    have to run my NA miata regularly just to make sure the battery doesn't drain... idled it in my garage for about 10 minutes today and it started emitting a light amount of smoke and a distinct burning smell

belts look fine, no oil on the ground, exhaust is clean (by 1990 standards), water temp gauge normal, no unusual vibrations or noise apart from a veeeery slight mechanical hiss once it reached temperature

with the hood open it couldn't even produce enough smoke to be visible, but the burning smell came back

car is very rarely driven, had an oil change about 2 months ago with a grand total of 15 miles on that oil

maybe its always done this and i never noticed? maybe some leftover oil from the change burning somewhere? maybe dont idle a high mileage 25 year old engine in 80 degree ambient for 10 minutes?

Could have a small leak on the valve cover gasket and its dripping onto the exhaust manifold. My crown vic does this.

so, update on this... yes i know its been a while, i dont drive the car!!! its currently blocked in my garage behind a ton of furniture

i went to go disconnect the battery today because it is, in fact, hopelessly blocked in my garage, but i gave it another run to reassess the smoke.

definitely a pretty healthy amount of smoke when its run for even a minute or two, and I am pretty certain at this point its coming from the exterior of exhaust manifold

can see dark spots just below the seam of the valve cover where i guess oil leaked out of it....

its a noticeable amount of smoke, enough where if you were sitting at a red light you would think "this is definitely not ok"... but despite the possibility of a leak I don't see any fluid at all, nothing has made it to the ground. perhaps only leaks when throttle is applied?

so... I guess I should take it in?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNZ30cLKMno

Looks like it needs better meats.

• Options
    Yea the tires are the issue. Which is... the least issue of issues. As thats something thats always going to get replaced.

Plus the 4-5k less asking price covers that and then some.

But in reality for me I'd be getting some kinda all seasons on both the Supra or the Z so they'd end up on the same rubber and thus be matched in performance that direction.

And I do not know why my phone loves to correct aesthetics to anesthetics so much..

• Options
    If I was going to get a Z it would be the baseline manual Sport. I think that's where the sweet spot for that car is. I also think it looks better without the lip spoiler, and with the fatter tires and smaller wheels.

• Options
    have to run my NA miata regularly just to make sure the battery doesn't drain... idled it in my garage for about 10 minutes today and it started emitting a light amount of smoke and a distinct burning smell

belts look fine, no oil on the ground, exhaust is clean (by 1990 standards), water temp gauge normal, no unusual vibrations or noise apart from a veeeery slight mechanical hiss once it reached temperature

with the hood open it couldn't even produce enough smoke to be visible, but the burning smell came back

car is very rarely driven, had an oil change about 2 months ago with a grand total of 15 miles on that oil

maybe its always done this and i never noticed? maybe some leftover oil from the change burning somewhere? maybe dont idle a high mileage 25 year old engine in 80 degree ambient for 10 minutes?

Could have a small leak on the valve cover gasket and its dripping onto the exhaust manifold. My crown vic does this.

so, update on this... yes i know its been a while, i dont drive the car!!! its currently blocked in my garage behind a ton of furniture

i went to go disconnect the battery today because it is, in fact, hopelessly blocked in my garage, but i gave it another run to reassess the smoke.

definitely a pretty healthy amount of smoke when its run for even a minute or two, and I am pretty certain at this point its coming from the exterior of exhaust manifold

can see dark spots just below the seam of the valve cover where i guess oil leaked out of it....

its a noticeable amount of smoke, enough where if you were sitting at a red light you would think "this is definitely not ok"... but despite the possibility of a leak I don't see any fluid at all, nothing has made it to the ground. perhaps only leaks when throttle is applied?

so... I guess I should take it in?

Even a small drip of oil can produce a decent amount of smoke on an exhaust manifold. But by your description, sounds like you'll just need a new valve cover gasket to fix it.

• Options
    If I was going to get a Z it would be the baseline manual Sport. I think that's where the sweet spot for that car is. I also think it looks better without the lip spoiler, and with the fatter tires and smaller wheels.

I can see that.

I dont like all the wheel gap with the smaller wheels personally.

Plus no LSD.

And the biggest point for me would be no awesome blue interior. Thats such a big thing that if I didn't get that I'd be disappointed thinking about it every time I got in haha.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular