As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    when I worked at Gamestop I occasionally got kids trying to prank call me

the thing is though, kids are fuckin' stupid and have no chill, so their only joke was to call and ask for a game they were certain didn't exist, but which actually did:

"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can you tell me *stifled laughter* if uhhh you have Halo 4"

"no, that's not out until November."

"uhhhhhhhhh um how about uhhh Halo 5"

"no, they haven't announced it yet."

"uhhh...yeah. right. okay, bye."

My friends and I would often prank each other on slow days asking for Battletoads for the PS2. Or my buddy Shaun would always do "You got that grand theft?" which mocked a call we actually got where I had to try and figure out which Grand Theft auto game the customer was looking for

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Why does Comedy Central still show Chapelle's Show? They are stuck in the past.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

They dont have enough new shows to fill 10 hours. Thats always been their problem tbh

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

They dont have enough new shows to fill 10 hours. Thats always been their problem tbh

Can't they just do 10 hours of South Park daily? I'm pretty sure that's what Cartoon Network does with Teen Titans Go.

edited February 2019
    Show Upright Citizens Brigade.

They used to show lots of Monty Python.

Krathoon on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Can't they just do 10 hours of South Park daily? I'm pretty sure that's what Cartoon Network does with Teen Titans Go.

Yeah that will make it feel like they're less stuck in the past.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I remember that Jesus vs Santa Claus video that was passed around before South Park started.

They could show that Gary Busey show.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    They could show that Gary Busey show.

The government invented cell phones to kill your father

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I remember lots of stuff

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I remember lots of stuff

Oh yeah? Name one thing you remember

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
    The end of the Gary Busey show kind of ruins it.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

the thing is though, kids are fuckin' stupid and have no chill, so their only joke was to call and ask for a game they were certain didn't exist, but which actually did:

I loved getting prank calls at gamestop because literally no one in the world could out deadpan me at the time

Plus everyone at my store hated their jobs and there were rarely any customers in the store, so we would always match the vulgarity of the call and then one up it. It wasn't uncommon to hear something like "oh yeah? And how big exactly is your dick?" and just nod at the coworker on the phone

can anyone out deadpan you now?

You're right. I should play Captain Holt and Kevin's somehow son on B99

You can't play Cheddar!

Drug trip/fever dream/musical episode where Cheddar talks (and also looks like Garlic Bread wearing dog ears)

It's like you have no imagination

I play Cheddar the Human while every other character is played by a dog

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    I remember lots of stuff

Alf, coronation street, the war

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

I loved getting prank calls at gamestop because literally no one in the world could out deadpan me at the time

Plus everyone at my store hated their jobs and there were rarely any customers in the store, so we would always match the vulgarity of the call and then one up it. It wasn't uncommon to hear something like "oh yeah? And how big exactly is your dick?" and just nod at the coworker on the phone

You can't play Cheddar!

Drug trip/fever dream/musical episode where Cheddar talks (and also looks like Garlic Bread wearing dog ears)

So it's being told from Cheddar's perspective, like the Rashomon episode of King of the Hill

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

You can't play Cheddar!

What breed of dog is every character on Brooklyn 99?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Counterpart's Season 2 finale is Sunday.

...but apparently Starz has cancelled the series, so that may be the last episode if they can't get another network to pick it up.

I remember lots of stuff

Three things? Well la di da

PSN- AHermano
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Um actually the tension of the joke doesn't work because she is not eligible to be President *pushes up glasses*

I remember lots of stuff

No that's a single memory

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I remember lots of stuff

21st September
    doo doo do doooooo

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The friend who watched far too much Elementary for his own good recommended the US Dirk Gently series to me. I'd heard it wasn't actually bad*, but barely connected to the original material, so I asked him if he'd read the books. Turns out no.

Long story short, he's texting me increasingly frustrated questions about "is there actually a detective in this book?" and "what's with the horse???"

*only realising later that it's a Max Landis venture. I watched a bit, it's got the bones of something pretty decent overlaid with a lot of something very dumb.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I ended up really liking the Dirk Gently show

It is definitely something very dumb, but in a way that knows it.

Plus I could watch Elijah Wood make concerned faces all day

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The friend who watched far too much Elementary for his own good recommended the US Dirk Gently series to me. I'd heard it wasn't actually bad*, but barely connected to the original material, so I asked him if he'd read the books. Turns out no.

Long story short, he's texting me increasingly frustrated questions about "is there actually a detective in this book?" and "what's with the horse???"

*only realising later that it's a Max Landis venture. I watched a bit, it's got the bones of something pretty decent overlaid with a lot of something very dumb.

The first season of Dirk Gently was pretty good. The second season lost a lot of charm as it felt more interested in trying to set up a Dirk Gently universe for the series' long haul than telling a fun, contained story.

Dirk Gently is cancelled now.

Yeah I definitely don't hate it. The dialogue is seriously lacking, but there's a lot of really fun elements and most of the secondary cast is pretty great. Samuel Barnett is kind of grating, but I appreciate the undertone of barely-held-together terror he manages to inject.

The very rapid plot swerves work in its favour, distracting from the less polished elements.

I might as well collect the second season of Dirk.

I remember lots of stuff

No that's a single memory

I stand corrected and retract my la di da then!

PSN- AHermano

Aw damn did he say something shitty on Twitter?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin

Isn't it a Max Landis joint

edited February 2019

It was canceled ages ago. Screw BBC America.

Krathoon on
    I was going for a joke about the person being cancelled, as in the slang term for no longer paying attention to someone because they revealed themselves to be problematic. Ah well, misfire, I suppose.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Ahh I didnt know it was a Max Landis thing :(

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I was going for a joke about the person being cancelled, as in the slang term for no longer paying attention to someone because they revealed themselves to be problematic. Ah well, misfire, I suppose.

I chuckled

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Man I need to read the Dirk Gently books again, I love them so much.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

i was sceptical about better call saul and proved dead wrong

i remain sceptical about this also

edit: i wonder if this is also a way to provide some denouement to better call saul, even pre-emptively, or bridge that series into the future?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I remember enjoying the Steven Mangan Dirk Gently. It stuck a bit closer to the tone of the books

I tried to watch the one on Netflix but it seemed too whacky to me

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    The US one is basically Dr Who with a more american cast

the Steven Mangan one I guess tried to do an actual adaptation? but was kind of miscast and seemed a bit ... leaden. I think I only watched a bit of the first episode though.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I watched that without ever having heard about the book. When I read the book I was surprised to learn that the only thing in common in is a character named Dirk Gently and that it's weird.

This discussion has been closed.