As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    My biggest gripe about the proposed Xena reboot was they were going to make her a lesbian.

Which is some heavy bi-erasure.

I think you misheard something. She definitely starts the reboot script in a relationship with Hercules.

I may have!

I just kept hearing/reading that news.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My wife has been watching Maniac, and I've been watching the second half

I don't get a lot of what's going on, but this show seems alright!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2019
    It's probably worth watching again from the beginning when you're done, there's a lot of easter eggs

tynic on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    It's probably worth watching again from the beginning when you're done, there's a lot of easter eggs

I'll have to do that! We just finished it and I really liked it!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    As an aside, I'm choosing to believe that Zonugal created those Xena episode lists completely from memory, without needing to look up episode numbers or summaries.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    While looking them up I did find a wonderful fan site that stopped being updated in like 2007. Although it had a brief note from 2018 advertising something else they'd done.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    As an aside, I'm choosing to believe that Zonugal created those Xena episode lists completely from memory, without needing to look up episode numbers or summaries.

Uhhh.... Yeah!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    do not be fooled by the copy/paste bandit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    do not be fooled by the copy/paste bandit

Don't you dare speak ill of Harry Lyme and Marv Murchins!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ares had better character development than all the characters in the recent Game of Thrones seasons.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I grew up watching HK wuxia movies, so watching Xena do frame-by-frame recreations of fight scenes I knew by heart was always a trip.

• Options
    I grew up watching HK wuxia movies, so watching Xena do frame-by-frame recreations of fight scenes I knew by heart was always a trip.

There is no story that can't be improved by the addition of a martial arts fight.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

There is no story that can't be improved by the addition of a martial arts fight.

I have spent ten minutes trying to find an exception to this and I've got nothing

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Watching the latest SNL, and having to come to terms with the fact that I might like James McAvoy

This is pretty difficult

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Netflix shows me a trailer for a new miniseries and it looks interesting. Also John Goodman is there. Black Earth Rising. Looks like mystery political thriller.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    so for want of more new discovery, we started watching the orville tonight

it's like the dumbest episodes of voyager got shot through with dick jokes

...i'll watch it

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Watching the latest SNL, and having to come to terms with the fact that I might like James McAvoy

This is pretty difficult

He's definitely helped turn this place around.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The most important RE show question is whether they will feature Wesker casually shooting bees.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    The most important RE show question is whether they will feature Wesker casually shooting bees.

A show that follows the guy that wrote the itchy. Tasty note.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve completely turned around on Brainy on Supergirl. He is great.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    So I'm watching You on the recommendation of my lady friend. She said I'd like it and that Joe is a lot like me.

I don't know what to think of what she thinks of me.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Macro9 wrote: »
    So I'm watching You on the recommendation of my lady friend. She said I'd like it and that Joe is a lot like me.

Do you have a book prison?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    we all know @zonugal is the pre-eminent avatar of you's joe goldberg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who watched Rent Live

it was HYSTERICALLY bad

• Options
    we all know @zonugal is the pre-eminent avatar of you's joe goldberg

It was startling how much I could accurately predict Joe's next move.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »

Do you have a book prison?

Only one?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

it was HYSTERICALLY bad

I'm going to need more details.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

it was HYSTERICALLY bad

I'm going to need more details.

It was a complete shit show. It wasn't actually live (except for the final scene) because one of the actors got injured during dress rehearsal and none of the main cast had understudies. What they aired was the recorded performance from the night before.

I don't know if the actors were saving some energy for what was to be the live TV performance

The sound mix was horrible. You couldn't hear vocals over the instruments or the crowd. The crowd was cheering and screaming the entire time like a concert, they were set up on parts of the stage or between stages like the VMA's or some shit.

I'm not a fan of Rent to begin with, but it got fucked by ill preparedness and bad luck.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man... I forgot to watch it!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Apparently they did an actual live performance that night while the broadcast was happening? Roger was in a wheelchair and it was basically a high energy table read with a full orchestra. But Fox didn't want to broadcast that one. I don't really like Rent, but if I did, I would probably enjoy watching that more than a dress rehearsal

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, there's no way the actors were giving their all for a dress rehearsal.

Kind of does them dirty to air that.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

it was HYSTERICALLY bad

It was based on the musical Rent, right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Fox isn't getting their deposit back on this one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    finished re-reading the Animorphs series.
    There is much more continuity than I remembered - the pieces hang together surprisingly well. With maybe four exceptions (The Mutation, The Familiar, The Journey, and The Unexpected), each installment is generally referenced by a later book, or in some way lays groundwork.

And, taking into account the intended demographic, the only one I felt failed to deliver was Megamorphs #3.

this is not to say that they're amazingly well-written or anything. There are passages in every book that are repeated nearly verbatim. There's very little sense of time passing. But the characters do seem to grow.

I will say that two things bug me a little:
    The sudden escalation at the end and the shift from being fully defensive to occasionally offensive are hindered by the formula.
    The given timeline (years) doesn't quite mesh with every book using 'months ago'.

Anyway. Carry on.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

it was HYSTERICALLY bad

It was a dress rehearsal.
    Apparently the lead hurt his foot and they had no understudy because that's a smart idea.

I was already mad theres no Bobs burgers this week but that they didnt even put out something that was of professional quality is just insulting to me as a viewer.

Thats putting aside that Rent is for people far older than me and has aged horribly

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Rent is fucking trash

its poverty tourism that romanticizes being so poor you fucking die

and also its treatment of lgbtq is horrific

its the whitest white people shit imaginable and I hate it so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    They rewrote some of the lgbtq stuff for this version to make it slightly better, I heard

• Options
    I've only seen the film version of Rent and only once.

But I remember hating every single character in the story except for Taye Diggs.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Apparently they did an actual live performance that night while the broadcast was happening? Roger was in a wheelchair and it was basically a high energy table read with a full orchestra. But Fox didn't want to broadcast that one. I don't really like Rent, but if I did, I would probably enjoy watching that more than a dress rehearsal

The clips people from that audience posted to Twitter were a thousand times better than what they aired. They did the last 15 minutes live and you could tell the cast saved their energy for the live performance

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I saw Rent (the movie) at the exact worst time in my life to see Rent. I was working minimum wage for 38 hours a week (another two hours and they'd have to give me benefits, you see), living in a rented room, eating once a day.

I was furious that none of those motherfuckers would just get a damn job. Livid that being broke was portrayed as noble or aspirational. Peeved beyond measure that one of the final messages is "White dude who observes and doesn't experience is the one who will profit from suffering." (That last one is true, but Rent is sympathetic to him, so, fuck it)

This discussion has been closed.