As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    People just hate women

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    People just hate women

I certainly think a lot of it is this

but also I still have a shit load of college debt and her openly exclaiming she didn't care about getting an education because she was already sponsored by amazon after her parents cheated to get her in still sucks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    But that's got to be directed towards the entire post secondary education system rather than one woman who never wanted to go to university, right?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    But that's got to be directed towards the entire post secondary education system rather than one woman who never wanted to go to university, right?

Well she's a woman in the spotlight and the other is the status quo

so uh

no, no people will hate on the woman in the spotlight.

• Options

Some of it, sure

I mean I don't hate the lady, but I sure as hell didn't have the option to just make youtube videos because my parents were famous so amazon sponsored me

Its possible I'd have felt the same way in her place but it doesn't mean it still doesn't great when someone who's got so many options talks about how they don't even need them when I still owe somebody 30 grand because I fought to get just ONE of the choices she had

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

so uh

Hey you can talk to me instead of past me if you'd like

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

so uh

My post was in no way directed at you.

• Options

so uh

Sorry, you were responding to psykoma responding to me

So it definitely felt that way

• Options

so uh

Sorry, you were responding to psykoma responding to me

So it definitely felt that way

Ah, I thought psykoma's post was more of a general statement about people reacting to her and tending not to examine the problems of the secondary education system that enabled this whole situation. My bad!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Some of it, sure

I mean I don't hate the lady, but I sure as hell didn't have the option to just make youtube videos because my parents were famous so amazon sponsored me

Its possible I'd have felt the same way in her place but it doesn't mean it still doesn't great when someone who's got so many options talks about how they don't even need them when I still owe somebody 30 grand because I fought to get just ONE of the choices she had

I'm not going to express myself clearly, and I'm sorry about that, so this is going to be rambly and not fully formed thoughts.

I'm trying to see what the major difference is between this here and like someone who found success working in trades and going around telling people they don't think university is worth it, and that they're happy they didn't go through that system.

Like a difference is that she was born into her success mostly because of who her parents are, but I'm sure the kids of trades parents likely have an "in" to that world which most people don't have as well?
    That almost everyone has multiple paths towards financial security, only one of which is through university, and every one of those paths are advantaged by being born into a family already in that field so I can't bring myself to condemn her for this.

And I don't know the exact steps my brain takes gets to this point, but I don't think it's right to blame how difficult your path in life has been on one person you've never met who's never had control over the trials and tribulations you've experienced, or dislike that one person because of that.

Like if she were the person setting tuition rates bragging about not paying for or about dropping out and not caring, go ahead and full on hate her. But she's not, she's had zero power over your life or really anyone else's.

• Options

Some of it, sure

I'm not going to express myself clearly, and I'm sorry about that, so this is going to be rambly and not fully formed thoughts.

I'm trying to see what the major difference is between this here and like someone who found success working in trades and going around telling people they don't think university is worth it, and that they're happy they didn't go through that system.

Like a difference is that she was born into her success mostly because of who her parents are, but I'm sure the kids of trades parents likely have an "in" to that world which most people don't have as well?
    That almost everyone has multiple paths towards financial security, only one of which is through university, and every one of those paths are advantaged by being born into a family already in that field so I can't bring myself to condemn her for this.

And I don't know the exact steps my brain takes gets to this point, but I don't think it's right to blame how difficult your path in life has been on one person you've never met who's never had control over the trials and tribulations you've experienced, or dislike that one person because of that.

Like if she were the person setting tuition rates bragging about not paying for or about dropping out and not caring, go ahead and full on hate her. But she's not, she's had zero power over your life or really anyone else's.

To be clear, I'm not blaming here for anything whatsoever, she is absolutely not responsible, as a person, for any hardships I've experienced because of the system

I also don't hate her or wish any ill will towards her

But I still feel resentment when someone who's been gifted something I fought for, not JUST because of who her parents are, but because of an illegal exchange of cash, turns that down and says she doesn't even need it

That's hurtful

I don't have control over that emotion of pain and I think that even though she certainly did not make that comment explicitly to spit on people who need an education to succeed, it still hurts, and the degree to which she was given something she didn't earn and rejected it stings, and yeah I definitely don't look fondly on someone in that situation

But thats not the same as blame or hate

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think it's kind of just a shitty thing to say on her part. Like, obviously it's not her FAULT, but it's just... I dunno, I don't expect her to be aware of the common people's struggles, I'd probably be more surprised if she was, but.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    She seems like an irritating drain that I would go out of my way to avoid, but she isn't a criminal, and as Tube was getting at, I gotta respect her hustle as someone with none.

Focusing ire on her seems wasteful and stupid when there are actual crimes and evil afoot in the world, and even in the dumb situation she's in, she's a victim of this idiocy and not a perpetrator.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Also there's a giant difference between "I dont think college is worth it because I've learned a trade and will do that and sustain myself." and "I don't think college is worth it because I literally will never, ever, need to work a day in my life - but I'd like to go for the parties I guess."

I think, and this is insanely off topic, but my anger towards the situation is much more about the wealth gap - the fact that to most college is the only way to get any sort of decent job, and to others it's just so you can go to some parties. And it being treated so flippantly really gets under the skin of those who will be in debt, maybe forever, because of it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of it comes down to two things:

1) Rich kids who has everything handed to them shouldn't be the target of our spite -- the system that allows that to happen should be. She has done nothing/very little wrong, other than being a product of her environment and not expanding beyond that.

2) Rich kids who don't eventually take the initiative to expand their horizons will invariably become the rich parents who create and perpetuate this system of inequality because they are unable, on a core level, to understand or empathize with the struggles of common people, and this is when their harmless ineptitude turns into actual harm.

Class inequality is a real shitty hole that just keeps getting dug deeper.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Also there's a giant difference between "I dont think college is worth it because I've learned a trade and will do that and sustain myself." and "I don't think college is worth it because I literally will never, ever, need to work a day in my life - but I'd like to go for the parties I guess."

I think, and this is insanely off topic, but my anger towards the situation is much more about the wealth gap - the fact that to most college is the only way to get any sort of decent job, and to others it's just so you can go to some parties. And it being treated so flippantly really gets under the skin of those who will be in debt, maybe forever, because of it.

I guess this is really the part that gets to me the most? That she didn't just say nah I don't wanna go, she said she'd mostly work on her youtube stuff but stay there because parties were fun

That just fuckin stings

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My issue with the young woman is one of class not one of gender. She's in the incredibly privileged position of being from a family with money, which is what has enabled her to have a successful business and what lets her be frivolous about post-secondary education. She is allowed a life of ease and success that will likely never be available to me simply due to the circumstance of her birth. There's nothing to respect in that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

80 cents for the first month of DC Universe

Well worth it for Doom Patrol

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I never went to a single party in college.

Partly because I was working to pay for it all the time and because it was very time intensive, but also because I am very introverted.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The specific style of most college parties were not the kind of thing I enjoy but I do recall one Saturday night Freshman year when a party somehow formed in my dorm room as a bunch of people gathered to drink white Russians and attempt to beat Super Mario Bros 2 on the NES

To this day I have no idea how or why that happened but it was a good time

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I did the vast majority of my partying in high school, and in the misbegotten period between my navy days and college

I had some good times but I do not miss that kind of thing

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I hate huge parties, which meant I generally avoided huge house parties in college where they'd be over a hundred people in attendance.

Instead I frequented philosophy or theater department parties which had max 25 people drinking like it was going out of style.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The parties I went to were mostly groups of 15-25 nerds getting absolutely shitfaced and having unbelievably geeky conversations and/or playing video games. It was pretty good.

I did go to one of the nerdiest schools in the country, though.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Even 15-25 people is a bit much for me.

5-10 is my sweet spot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    the only large parties (50+ people) i ever attended were ones i threw and it was solely so i could play guess the stripper -- it doesn't really work any other way.

but for the most part i don't care about the size of the party, just the number of people i know at one so when i get drunk and wander -- and i will wander -- it won't take me too long to bump into some people i know

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am not a party guy

My ideal night is hanging out with like 3-4 other people, probably playing a board game

• Options
    the only large parties (50+ people) i ever attended were ones i threw and it was solely so i could play guess the stripper -- it doesn't really work any other way.

but for the most part i don't care about the size of the party, just the number of people i know at one so when i get drunk and wander -- and i will wander -- it won't take me too long to bump into some people i know

how does that game work and why does party size play a factor?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    you invite a stripper to your party. you have them just hang out and chill. end of night, everyone plops down ten bucks and guesses who the stripper was. winner gets the pot. losers get nothing. and you, the host, sit back while everyone starts judging each other and reveals their prejudices.

no one has ever won, but i have thrown some pretty great parties for pretty cheap.

the need for a large size comes in making sure not everyone knows everyone else

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    you invite a stripper to your party. you have them just hang out and chill. end of night, everyone plops down ten bucks and guesses who the stripper was. winner gets the pot. losers get nothing. and you, the host, sit back while everyone starts judging each other and reveals their prejudices.

no one has ever won, but i have thrown some pretty great parties for pretty cheap.

I've always wondered about this.

Do you have to brief the stripper on an appropriate cover story?

I'm just imagining people would start asking benign questions trying to catch the stripper like some drunken murder mystery.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

So... don't you (as the host) win this game by just... not actually having a stripper there at all?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »

I've always wondered about this.

Do you have to brief the stripper on an appropriate cover story?

I'm just imagining people would start asking benign questions trying to catch the stripper like some drunken murder mystery.

the first time i played, we came up with a cover story, but it didn't last long enough really. there was too much to track among too many people, especially when alcohol was involved. what we agreed upon was really stupid anyway, as it tied into another story of my life and i was essentially creating fanfiction about myself as a decoy.

plus i realized i know so many different pockets of people, it really didn't make sense to put too much into it and it's actually more relaxed for them to answer questions honestly. it's really easy to dodge job questions in the early-going, because no one really cares about anyone's job.

in the end, there were absolutely some drunkass columbos every time, but they were always completely wrong and their accusation moments were hilarious. especially in the year after i'd hired a male stripper, because there is nothing funnier than what a cishet dude thinks makes a dude appealing to women.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    What a strange game. The only way to win is not to play.

• Options

So... don't you (as the host) win this game by just... not actually having a stripper there at all?

i get to have a party and hire a friend to hang out and party and watch people make drunken idiots of themselves and pay me to do so

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

i get to have a party and hire a friend to hang out and party and watch people make drunken idiots of themselves and pay me to do so

it's an outrageously good scam.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    THEIR NAME WAS RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

There are a lot of people who will be with you when you talk about how the people in power are evil and then pause when you start talking about the police or the military.

Its weird.

Wait til you point out that they are socialist organizations.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

it's an outrageously good scam.

It's like a death note chapter.

Rorshach just eating his chips with a little tv inside

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I loved college parties and might have gotten more useful future knowledge out of them than I did out of my major.

The social aspect of college is really important, in my book, and it's one of the reasons I would recommend college as an institution.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    i have to note -- this game only works if you don't have real shitty friends because it could get ugly fast. it never really has for me (other than the somebody gets way too drunk that happens at any party,) and i moreso love seeing the completely asinine leaps in logic people make from point a to point b to prove something that is so benign. there is a very real reason it's a stripper. and i like to think, in the end, since no one has ever won, maybe a few people walk away with some stigmas shaken out of their heads.

my ultimate goal now, since i have networked with so many sex workers, is to see if i could stump them.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Impossible. They have eagle vision.

Sex worker eagle vision

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    i have to note -- this game only works if you don't have real shitty friends because it could get ugly fast. it never really has, and i moreso love seeing the completely asinine leaps in logic people make from point a to point b to prove something that is so benign. there is a very real reason it's a stripper. and i like to think, in the end, since no one has ever won, maybe a few people walk away with some stigmas shaken out of their heads.

I would love to see my roommate play this game.

This discussion has been closed.