As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon World] Glamjin’s Tower of Glory

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "I agree we don't want to spread too thin. Perhaps if Pomme and Bran were to perform reconnaissance re: our rival party while Gisard and I pump Ali and the upper crust for information?"

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    "I think that's a solid plan for now. Let's get out of this church; I feel as comfortable here as Ali looks right at this moment."

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "Yesss, let's get out of here. If we are sssplitting up, I have a spell that should let usss stay in contact."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Gisard touches Pomme's furrier-than-usual shoulder and casts Telepathy.

"Think wordsss and I will hear them, and vice versa." Like this.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Cast a Spell (int)

I'll unprepare Telepathy for the 7 roll.

Cast a Spell (int):
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=1, 4]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    “I’m getting some mixed vibes here, so... I’m going to meet up with you after.”, Noah winks to Bran, “There might be others times for us to sneak about Bran. Good luck. Stay safe everyone.”

Noah the Wind gives you brief directions to the rear courtyard, then walks away and slaps Ali on the back. He says something in his ear. It must be the right thing because he doesn’t question Pomme and Bran walking the opposite way when you all leave.

Noah rounds a corner and is gone.

Holly & Gisard

Holly and Gisard, you sit by Ali on the way back to his place. Soon you are at his family mansion. It is impressive, with a garden to match. One of the windows is notibly boarded over, the glass shattered.

You are lead inside by a servant as Ali goes to freshen up and change into, in his words, his “hosting attire.” Jamila follows him, ever the dutiful bodyguard.

“This must all be very strange to you,” say the old lady Fatima, “Would you like some tea?”

Bran & Pomme

The rear courtyard of the temple is beautiful. There is no denying it, and owing to the desert beyond the city it feels miraculous that there is a canal running through it, and an array of fountains and statutes cascading water to such a degree the air itself is humid yet refreshing. There are neatly trimmed fruit bearing trees lined up along walls and flowers artfully grown around pathways and seating areas.

You can see priests and scholars milling about.

At the far end Lady Lateef and her out of place adventurers are consulting a very ragged looking man. Looks like he hasn’t eaten in some time. That must be her brother.

9gk2jagodm7f.jpeg

Bran, you’re leading this mission, so roll +Dex for you and Pomme to sneak up and eves drop on the party lead by Lady Lateef.
    On a 10+, choose two.
    On a 7-9, choose one.
    - You remain hidden and can hear them.
    - You secure your means of escape.
    - The next time you act stealthily you just do it, no roll required.
    On a 6-, you’re hidden, but too far away to hear anything.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "Tea would be lovely, thank you. Holly, pardon my curiosity, but have you felt any hunger or thirst sssince you woke up in that... condition?"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    "Apart from a burning hunger for vengeance?" Her ribcage clatters with a chortle. "But, in all seriousness, no. The habit remains, but it's... lack of effect is most distressing."

She accepts tea graciously, however, not looking to offend an elder woman.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ali returns in a highly patterned white and blue number. Jamila has removed much of her armour but is still armed. She cracks her knuckles and pours herself a strong spirit in a short glass.

“So! I am sure you have many questions!”, Ali exclaims with a smile. “I have a library too, err, can you read, do you think? I have never met people Amlah has made in such a way. But do not feel like outsiders, we are all made by Amlah one way or another.”

Servants are quickly working around you. Soon enough a heavy leather chair is brought in for Ali to sit, who proceeds to walk into another room.

“Come! Let us gather in the second drawing room and discuss your lives!”

The servant with the chair mouths a curse word.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Bran gives Noah a wave as he departs, accompanied with a clear look that says "I'll catch you later, bro". The resident dapper rogue then sidles over to Wolf-Pomme, and give them a shoulder hug.

"Let's go stalk some prey, eh?"

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for SNEAKING! (DEX, +1 Forward)
    [+1 Forward from This Post]

(Criminy, Geth. I'll choose "You remain hidden and can hear them", since that's what we're here to do. Ahem. *nervously adjusts collar*)

SNEAKING! (DEX, +1 Forward):
    2d6+3 7 [2d6=2, 2]

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNSJGPl8X4

You both work your way stealthily towards the far garden—at several points you are almost seen, only saved by a burst of fountains at the right time, or a priest turning at the right moment.

In panic Pomme threw a rock as a distraction but it hit a philosopher, who luckily saw it as a sign of some significance and began a rant from the bow of a pear tree.

Finally you find a nice vantage point on top of a wall that has tall trees on either side. The white knight’s black gaze burns into your position for entirely too long, but the bounty hunter grabs the knight’s arm wishing them to return to the conversation.

The knight backhands him, scolds them for daring to touch them, but does indeed turn their back on you.

They are all huddled around a thin priest sat on a rock...

OOC:
    To be continued! At work when I get a minute.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    “—and then a guard told me, actually told me, without saying please or your grace—”

“Yes, you’ve said already sister.”, this close her brother looks quite a bit like Lady Lateef, “As I was saying, the seat of power is Parliament, and they hold such power because they have the means to divine the weather. They do this using a heavily guarded machine granted to us by Amlah long ago. It’s the last thing they have that the church has yet to take.”

“Why’s tha so ‘portant?”, the bounty hunter asks.

“Without prior knowledge of the sandstorms and elemental walls, our gatherers and herders couldn’t bring us food, which would starve the city. Food and water is the currency of politics.”

“I care little for politics.”, grumbles the knight.

The priest is not a huge fan, “Well. You see, if you can see the weather, perhaps the machine can also see the land.”

The kid chimes in, “And if this app can see like Geeble Maps can, maybe it can see a door out of here!”

The group banter back and forth, with Paolo smoothing over several outbursts of “impending doom” and “a thousand crusades against you even into the afterlife” if the the priest crosses them from the ever charming white knight.

You learn the following:
    The white knight is named Sir Krig, they’re basically a paladin. He’s evil, you’re pretty sure.
    The smouldering green guy is Paolo, he seems decent enough and... you’re not sure what his profession is. He reminds you a little of a farmer, somehow.
    The kid is called Suzz, which is... not a name? Bran, you’ve told people hundreds of names in your time, you can tell she made it up on the fly. She’s scared of everyone but Paolo. You don’t know what she can do.
    Lastly the guy in red is a bounty hunter, which means they’ve got a skill set similar to your own Pomme. They’re called Van Lonestar.

They’re going to spend the rest of the evening at Lateef’s, then attempt to learn more about the weather reading machine locked away in Parliament first thing tomorrow morning.

Besides that they’ll be preparing, shopping (or taking) whatever they might need.

You think they’re more likely to storm the gate than sneak in and take it.

• Options
    "Of course I can read, I wasn't born yesterday!" She nudges Ali with an elbow companionably, failing to wink. "What I truly enjoy is the study of architecture. It can really tell you so much about a people's character, especially their government buildings- would you have any books on that?"

• Options
    “Haha... ha?”, Ali’s not sure he got that, “Yes, I have many such books! My father was a great architect as it happens!”

Ali puts his palm on a wall lovingly, “He even designed the very mansion you are standing in!”

The servant manages to shuffle the big leather chair into the room.

“Quickly! To the library!”

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Pomme & Bran

Pomme, a peacock attempts to land, but is spooked by your presence! It takes off with a shrill call.

The thin priest looks to your position, then speaks, “That’s all I know. Perhaps you would like a blessing? Inside the temple. But first, let me show you my favourite fountain,” he raises his voice, “over in the western garden. It is in the shape of a unicorn!”

He gets to his feet shakily and takes his sister’s arm.

“Hold.”, orders Sir Krig.

Bran, Pomme, what do you do? (Doing nothing is an option).

Gisard & Holly

The library is on the second floor. It is the quintessential library, and for the first time in too long you feel at ease Gisard. No slouch in learning, you too appreciate the room’s ambience Holly.

pvgeq978labr.jpeg

Holly, Gisard, both of you can use this move once per day whenever you’re at the mansion:
    When you consult the books of Ali’s library, roll +Int.
    On a 10+, I’ll tell you something interesting and useful about the subject you’re reading up on.
    On a 7–9, it’ll be roughly in the right ballpark—it’s on you to make it useful.
    On a 6-, you can’t find the right book. I’ll tell you something just for fun.

Gisard, you feel the amulet around your neck growing hot and cold, it glows beneath your robes.

Ali slowly spins before you, arms out stretched, “My mother and father were philanthropists, and believed that knowledge would uplift the people. Not just the poor, they felt we were all blind without proper education. They died before they could realise their idea of a public education system, but they managed to create a private school for noble children. I went to it!”, he picks up a random book with a smile, “I didn’t do very well, but I try to live how I think they’d want me to. Anyway...”

He just trails off and reads a little, still standing.

Hao-Gou

The stone guardian is in the front garden of Ali’s mansion stood very still with the metal ball under his left paw. A peacock has landed on his head.

He’s okay.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    To keep us on track, the temple is next to Parliament.

Ali lives in the Resident’s District.

9tbiilncv2jg.jpeg

You could sprint from one to the other in 30 minutes if you knew the best route, otherwise it’s about an hour to walk it normally.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    OOC: Whenever Hao-Gou isn't in the scene, everyone should be asking "where's Hao-Gou?" IMO

Gisard says "Ooh, a mossst impressssive library, my friend! I happen to be a ssscholar myself, you know! I can certainly appreciate the importance of a good education. I haven't seen this much writing in one place since I left the university on that damn expedition on my original world... *cough* or rather, I sssuppose that is the memory that Amlah has ssseen fit to plant in my newly-created mind. Ha, ha." Gisard starts walking among the stacks, browsing titles at random, and surreptitiously checks on the amulet. "Tell me, Ali, you seem like an upssstanding, devout sort of fellow, yet that high priessst seemed rather cold to you. Did something happen to earn their ire? Politicsss, maybe?"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Also he's sipping tea with his other hand. This is very important to the scene.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Pomme whispers to Bran -
    "I think we should retreat - White Owl Armor seems like the type of person to just attack openly and I don't think we need that sort of attention.

• Options
    Bran tenses for a moment, his hand outstretched back toward Pomme with his eyes still on the group. In a barely-audible whisper, easily confused with the passing wind, Bran says "Agreed. We'll pull out once they move. Hold until they go."

Bran is wound tighter than a clock spring, ready to run in a blink if noticed or slowly creep away if not.

Either way, we're done here, he thinks to himself.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Bran & Pomme

The priest takes the party to a separate walled off part of the garden, though the knight moves reluctantly, his head darting this way and that.

You patience has earned you success!

As you creep back down you are forced to sprint and drop to avoid a young priest. In the split second you choose opposite sides of two different trees.

Bran, roll +Dex to sneak away.
    Pomme, roll +Dex to sneak away, too.
    On a 10+, you’re out in the street and away from the temple.
    On a 7-9, you must take a hard bargain or an ugly choice if you want to sneak out.
    On 6-, you’re running out of there, and the other party will know someone was spying on them. Their plans will escalate.

Holly & Gisard

He slams the book shut and raises his eyebrow with a grin.

“Many things!”, he laughs, “But my faith is strong. I would never say the church is wrong, but ah, well... Who is to say what Amlah desires, or his shape? Why would he look like me? Why would he be a man at all?”

“I often get shouted at just for thinking these things! Ha!”

He puts the book down, “Also just last week I got drunk and threw a kebab at a guard. He was very rude though. Besides that I just have my own way of doing things. I have opinions on love and marriage, for instance.”

He waves the topic away and goes to grab another book.

You hear the distinctive clunk clunk clunk of a heavy leather chair being pulled up a flight of stairs.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Should you take out your amulet Gisard, writing will appear and change in a cycle:
    I CAN - COPY A BOOK - TO MY FOLIO

It would take days to do the whole library, but by placing the amulet onto a book it will scan it and add it to the red light tome it can project from its gem.

The amulet already contains a vast quantity of knowledge.

There’s no +1s or whatever for this, it is simply something the amulet can do.

• Options
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Sneaking (DEX)

Sneaking (DEX):
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=5, 6]

• Options
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Sneaky

Sneaky:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=5, 3]

• Options
    Bran high-fives Pomme as they saunter away from the temple and disappear into the throngs!

"You'd make a great mark-spotter, Pomme. Ever thought about running the alleys sometime?"

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Bran, you sneaked so sneakily you acquired 25 gold coins from three different sources on the way out.

Shopping trip?

Edit: You also retroactively have a scribbled map from Noah directing you to Ali’s place.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    dang you two are sneakmasters

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Bran high-fives Pomme as they saunter away from the temple and disappear into the throngs!

"You'd make a great mark-spotter, Pomme. Ever thought about running the alleys sometime?"

Pomme gives Bran a grin. "I hadn't. And I probably won't... but its nice to know its something I'd be good at. I guess staying still, hunting, in damp bug infested woods back home isn't that different from staying still, hunting in a dry peacock infested city."

Pomme's smile fades as they walk

"I'm not sure what to do about the other groups. If it was all people like that fellow in the white armour... but with people like that kid or the green one with her, I'm not sure what the rules of engagement are. They were thrown into this just like us, could be us for that matter. Anyway. Something I think we should discuss back at Ali's place. We haven't really stopped to discuss this whole thing yet. The tower. Glamwhosits."

• Options
    Bran nods in assent. "Yeah, yeah. I'm with you. Maybe we can open a dialogue? Clearly there's some on the other teams that could cut either way. Hard to know. Let's see what the others say."

• Options
    Pomme, roll +Wis, no reason.

• Options
    Do I get Fleur's bonuses on this? It would be another +2 if so

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for No Reason

2d6+2 10 [2d6=6, 2]

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Fleur alerts you with a peep, and you turn to see a tiny dot in the air a mile above you. It quickly flies away as soon as it is spotted, heading north-east. It doesn’t flap wings, so... levitation magic?

aolmfb7dh327.jpeg

OOC: Sure, not that you needed it!

Fleur is with you and in good condition, she actually likes the heat!

Also ignore the size chart on that, it’s actually a tiny drone! Who could possibly remotely control a green drone in this city?

Edit: Alternate post: I heard you liked spying so you were spied while you spied.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLtJkdG-_10

Previously on Glamjin’s Tower of Glory...

Strangers from four distant worlds were transported to a deadly vertical labyrinth by a powerful and enigmatic entity known as Glamjin.

They were tasked with reaching the summit before other, unknown parties, unsure of the ultimate prize that awaits them. But they soon discovered this is more than a mere maze; it is fact fragments of worlds stolen away by Glamjin for their own dark designs.

Now they’ve found themselves in a lone city in turmoil within a vast desert with no escape in sight! They’re not alone though... as other tasked souls have made their way here, and are working towards the same goal!

What is the dragon shaped amulet capable of?

Will they find a way out?

Who was watching Pomme and Bran from above?

Will they discover more about this so called tower?

Is there a group of unlikely allies yet to be discovered?

Find out all this and more on...

Glamjin’s Tower of Glory!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    OOC: I'm sure the amulet is totally just a boring sentient library and nothing more.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OOC: I'm sure the amulet is totally just a boring sentient library and nothing more.

You quickly dismiss it, but you almost hear Stop being so paranoid, bro on the wind. It’s just a tree tapping against the window.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    The tree moves on at speed having removed all potential prey from the area.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    As Bran and Pomme move through the crowd, he gives the wolf-mouse-person a quick tap on the shoulder.

"I'm going to go hit the markets, see if I can drum up some supplies. If what we learned is true, and the parliament controls a machine that can map the weather and the land, we need to get to it first. Can you go back to Ali's place, and let them know I think we should hit the parliament grounds tonight? We need to jump on this opportunity quick."

• Options
    Pomme hears a familiar lizard wizard's voice in their head: Pomme, how'sss it going over there? Did you get caught yet? Ali is showing us hisss library, it's very nice.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Pomme startles at Gissards voice inside their head. And for some reason it sounds even more sibilant. Pomme explains to Gisard the goings on and the plans with the parliament grounds that the other team has and that maybe we should go tonight as well. Also, to maybe watch out for strange not-birds or things watching them. Be on guard.

'Just explained it to them - Gisard cast some sort of communication spell on me. I think I should go with you... I don't think we should split up too much here. Something has been watching us.'

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Bran stopped short, almost startled. The concept of magical communication, or even eavesdropping, was still a bit unsettling to the common thief.

"Okay, yeah. Yeah. Good! Then let's hit the bazaars. It's better to have an extra pair of eyes in a new, possibly seedy, place anyway."

Bran looks about to take a step, then stops again.

"Can Gisard still hear you? If so, have him prod Ali for what the common dress at the parliament building is. He's a noble, and only nobles bother with government, so he must know."

Bran gets a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "I think it's time to go fashion shopping!"

[Bran's off-the-dome plan is starting to look like this:
    If we can get parliamentary dress, and can pull off looking reasonably inconspicuous, he'll shop for that and aim for the group to hit the parliament at the latest inconspicuous time of day.
    If he can't get the appropriate dress, he's getting dark cloaks and eyeblack, and will suggest we hit the place after nightfall.
    If cloaks and whatnot are out, he's looking to spend his jink on adventuring kit, with all the common tools you'd need for a B&E job: grapnels, ropes, a crowbar, etc. Then we do this in the dead of night.

Bran loves a good heist.]

Nips on
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Un44x3F68

Welcome to the Grand Bazaar!

dsuj0yukn5jk.jpeg
    ox5dpdtan4hm.jpeg
    adxk3yjyhkse.jpeg
    a8o22wmakiew.jpeg