As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it better to be subjectively good or objectively good

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's better to be subjectively good, even if it's objectively bad
    Uriel wrote: »
    Are jokes good

I like eggs, yeah.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    strong totp

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Is superman a cop?

I might be drunk. But these are important questions

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It's better to be objectively good, even if it's subjectively bad
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Better a criminal than a cop.

Laws are just codified subjective values.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I want to agree in principle but Trump is a criminal and Mueller is a cop and I'm definitely not rooting for the fucking tangerine in that equation.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Ironic, considering you chose the cop option...

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Stealing is only cool when you're stealing from the bourgeois

Stealing from poor people is never cool

• Options
    What about stealing from the cool people

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I feel like stealing from the rich to give to the poor is objectively a good thing even if subjectively stealing is a bad thing.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »

actually cops do shit they know is bad for "the greater objective good" all the time

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    inasmuch as I'm willing to entertain the notion I reject any collective agreement of what an objectively good world looks like

that's right I'm going full sovereign citizen / captain america terrorist crazy

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

actually cops do shit they know is bad for "the greater objective good" all the time

yes that's their reason but objectively they're being subjective.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My good is objective, your good is subjective.

• Options
    this thread has a whole lotta "my belief system is objective, and belief systems I find repulsive are subjective"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Are jokes good

No they’re great

Like Frosted Flakes?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    this thread has a whole lotta "my belief system is objective, and belief systems I find repulsive are subjective"

You started it friendo.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

my head hurts

• Options
    objectivity is a lot like art, when something is good enough it becomes objective and/or art

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

my head hurts

On a scale of on a scale of "not at all" to "a lot" to on a scale of 1 to 10 how objectively can you rate how much your head hurts?

Garthor on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

Cops think they're objectively good.

There is no way in hell I think of myself like that.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options

my head hurts

On a scale of on a scale of "not at all" to "a lot" to on a scale of 1 to 10 how objectively can you rate how much your head hurts?

daddy w h yyyyyyyyy

• Options

Cops believe that their subjective experience of "I was scared" is more important than the objective event of "The cop killed a person"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh hey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism
    Moral relativism may be any of several philosophical positions concerned with the differences in moral judgments across different people and cultures. Descriptive moral relativism holds only that some people do in fact disagree about what is moral; meta-ethical moral relativism holds that in such disagreements, nobody is objectively right or wrong; and normative moral relativism holds that because nobody is right or wrong, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when we disagree about the morality of it.

Not all descriptive relativists adopt meta-ethical relativism, and moreover, not all meta-ethical relativists adopt normative relativism. Richard Rorty, for example, argued that relativist philosophers believe "that the grounds for choosing between such opinions is less algorithmic than had been thought", but not that any belief is as valid as any other.[1]

Moral relativism has been debated for thousands of years, from ancient Greece and India to the present day, in diverse fields including art, philosophy, science, and religion.

Nothing is objectively good or bad, it's all subjective, because morals that determine what "good" or "bad" mean are subjective, often changing by culture. The concepts of "good" and "bad" are human ideas and are not innate objective facts.

That being said, IMO it's better to be objectively good. How do you determine if something is objectively "good" when everything is actually subjective? To me, it means trying to view a situation in as broad of a context as possible. Will this option cause the least amount of harm overall, regardless of my own personal feelings? Likely "objectively" the better/"good" option. Am I framing something within my own limited worldview, and will it cause me or things/people close to me, or people only within my culture to reap some benefit, while allowing a larger mass of "bad" to be released into the world? IMO, then that is subjectively good.

Again though, it's all moot, because it's all subjective. It has been suggested that true moral relativism isn't possible, as we are all creatures of the culture(s) in which we were raised and have lived, and we are the culmination of our own experiences, and cannot completely remove ourselves from all human culture and attempt to view things from a completely emotionless blank slate.

I have thought about this kinda thing a lot! Moral relativism is a really interesting topic to me.

NightDragon on
  • Options

Cops believe that their subjective experience of "I was scared" is more important than the objective event of "The cop killed a person"

Right you are.

Sorry. I was going by my own subjective definitions of objective and subjective rather than the objective definitions of those words.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

• Options
    Oh hey

Moral relativism may be any of several philosophical positions concerned with the differences in moral judgments across different people and cultures. Descriptive moral relativism holds only that some people do in fact disagree about what is moral; meta-ethical moral relativism holds that in such disagreements, nobody is objectively right or wrong; and normative moral relativism holds that because nobody is right or wrong, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when we disagree about the morality of it.

Not all descriptive relativists adopt meta-ethical relativism, and moreover, not all meta-ethical relativists adopt normative relativism. Richard Rorty, for example, argued that relativist philosophers believe "that the grounds for choosing between such opinions is less algorithmic than had been thought", but not that any belief is as valid as any other.[1]

Moral relativism has been debated for thousands of years, from ancient Greece and India to the present day, in diverse fields including art, philosophy, science, and religion.

Nothing is objectively good or bad, it's all subjective, because morals that determine what "good" or "bad" mean are subjective, often changing by culture. The concepts of "good" and "bad" are human ideas and are not innate objective facts.

That being said, IMO it's better to be objectively good. How do you determine if something is objectively "good" when everything is actually subjective? To me, it means trying to view a situation in as broad of a context as possible. Will this option cause the least amount of harm overall, regardless of my own personal feelings? Likely "objectively" the better/"good" option. Am I framing something within my own limited worldview, and will it cause me or things/people close to me, or people only within my culture to reap some benefit, while allowing a larger mass of "bad" to be released into the world? IMO, then that is subjectively good.

Again though, it's all moot, because it's all subjective. It has been suggested that true moral relativism isn't possible, as we are all creatures of the culture(s) in which we were raised and have lived, and we are the culmination of our own experiences, and cannot completely remove ourselves from all human culture and attempt to view things from a completely emotionless blank slate.

I have thought about this kinda thing a lot! Moral relativism is a really interesting topic to me.

nah forget all this nonsense! -Tal's cracked it, there's only one correct answer and all other answers are equivalent to being a murderous cop.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it's good that bart did that

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    it's good that bart did that

honestly it's cleared a lot of things I was worried about up.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If something is objectively good then it cannot be anything other than good, regardless of perspective or situation.

Now, if you were to ask me if there's anything that can be objectively good, well...reply hazy, ask again later.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

The "coption", if you will

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    If something is objectively good then it cannot be anything other than good, regardless of perspective or situation.

Now, if you were to ask me if there's anything that can be objectively good, well...reply hazy, ask again later.
    What if it were objectively good and objectively bad?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

What if it were objectively good and objectively bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSMshdQ0Pk

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I like red robin because of their onion straw thingies and campfire sauce

• Options
    I like red robin because of their bottomless noses.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I have got fucking opinions on this

so I'm going to be smart for once in my life and refrain from sharing them

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Oh hey

now how do you reach the conclusion that if the utilitarian equation has reached its maximum value that it becomes objective, while a submaximal value is subjective

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

do it coward

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Open those floodgates right up baby

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

do it coward

Yeah, whiskey river bbq burger or the tavern double?