As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros: THE ULTIMATE THREAD — BIG TOURNAMENT SEPTEMBER 21ST! BE THERE!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I did end up bonking a few of them to make my own recovery safer, which confused them to no end but is also instant death if you've already used your double jump

Incineroar's aerials are pretty good. I do like its aerial game.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I think Roar's ftilt has strong knockback scaling. It might be unsafe early but it's basically an uncharged fsmash at ~100%, iirc

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    2 different thoughts from playing online today.

* Wolf is an extremely opporessive opponent for K. Rool, if he gets in and starts doing big claw combos and hopping all over.
    * It's still very hilarious when people fall for the cannon suck like 5 times in a row. It feels like people get impatient and sloppy when they want to make you just stop shooting.

I win basically all matches I win against Wolf, both as K. Rool and Simon, by being a goddamn pest until people get sloppy. If they actually stay focused and use that horrendous hopping game he has I get mauled, but people get impatient.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Incineroar is now in Elite Smash, which I guess is a good enough point to get with a character I'm just playing around with

I really like it! Revenge is probably my favorite Counter if only because it's so different from all the others. It's silly and fun and it makes people relate to you very differently when you have it activated, whether you tanked a big hit for it or just ate a couple of lasers. And getting a 70% Clothesline feels great, even if it doesn't kill as low as you'd think it would

Now I'ma work on Ridley a little bit and get him back up to Elite, because why not? It's good to learn a character whose ass you want to beat, right?

I think a few players (namely ZeRo) underrate Ridley, still. The way he can create entire no-go zones around him is really strong, and his off-stage chase game is oppressive in the extreme

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I've currently got snake, plant, yoshi, kirby, wolf, ridley, and mario in elite

• Options
    That's an impressive collection! I just have Ganondorf, Ness, and Incineroar right now. Ridley, Samus, and Link have kind of fallen out over time. Never have gotten Isabelle up there. Maybe I should really focus on her next.

I tend to default to Battlefield in Quick play; what does everyone else do? I wonder if Isabelle might appreciate FD more

My favorite Smash thing I did this week was getting Revenge to activate in a reversed Warlock Punch and then watching the Ganon panic before eating six trillion damage off one clothesline

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I always so bf, because snake likes them platforms and also Im just bored of fd

• Options
    It'd be cool if we could use our customized random stage lists in quick play. I would definitely give that a try for a while

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It'd be cool if we could use our customized random stage lists in quick play. I would definitely give that a try for a while

Yeah, I dunno how you'd do that though without having to fight a buncha dumb matches on elektroplankton

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

Yeah, I dunno how you'd do that though without having to fight a buncha dumb matches on elektroplankton

I figured it'd just be a fourth (fifth?) option

BF — FD — Random — Random (no hazards) — Random (Selection)

I can't remember if Random and No Hazards are two options or if it's just No Hazards!

Anyway I think you'd get the option to set up your list of selectable stages in random, which would work basically like it does in every other mode in the game! You'd never get Elektroplankton unless your opponent picked it, in which case your opponent is probably set to some flavor of Random already

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    You pick 10 stages, it matches you with someone else who has at least one of those stages picked on that stage. Rematches go to any other overlap you might have, else just that stage over again. Bam, done.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It appears that the datamine that hinted at Joker having a "Jane" alt (with a ponytail) was correct. Trailer for the new version of P5 - Persona5 The Royal:

https://youtu.be/ygyz3Mqjh0k

Edit: Apparently "Jane" is not a version of Joker, but a new character. (Still, probably what the Joker alt will be base on.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Quick question for all of you lovely folk:

How do you short hop? Like, for ZSS, edging well requires a short down B flip to kick and I have no idea how to have her just not jump high.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    last patch a couple months back added a shortcut for shorthop which by default is both jump buttons pressed simultaneously

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    last patch a couple months back added a shortcut for shorthop which by default is both jump buttons pressed simultaneously

The traditional method is releasing the jump button within 3 frames, but this is horseshit as far as I can tell and anyone who can do it reliably is on my lizardperson watch-list.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah the press-both-jump-buttons-for-a-short-hop or press-jump-and-A-for-a-short-hop-attack alternate ways they added are much more doable

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I get the XA combo stuff, but specifically ZSS's Flip Jump (Down B). I've done it on accident before but I've never been able to do a short hop version of it when actually trying. I know it's not a tilt (that's her leg sweep), and that looks like a really important part to get down when on the edge.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Ri99yFn.png
    Next Tournament: Saturday, April 13th @ 7pm EST

https://pasmash.challonge.com/tournaments/signup/z25A7VyV8Y

Hey everybody we're having a tournament tomorrow at the usual time! Sign up for it! It's a barrel of laughs!

We have a Discord where you can talk about it!

Lord, I need one of these, it's been a rough couple weeks and I could really go for some fights even if I'm not in my best condition

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular

The traditional method is releasing the jump button within 3 frames, but this is horseshit as far as I can tell and anyone who can do it reliably is on my lizardperson watch-list.

What if I play a lizard person and can usually short hop when I want

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

What if I play a lizard person and can usually short hop when I want

I think that just makes you a lizardperson cosplayer

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Actually you know what, we're gonna do the tournament next week! But you should still sign up, and have a fun time on that coming Saturday!

Tonight we'll just be having some friendlies, drop on by the Discord for coordination, everyone is invited and it's very low pressure, etc.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    My favorite feature that I end up never using.

I hope stages can be shared online.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    SEARCHED FOR A SMASH THREAD JUST SO I COULD SAY THE FUNKY KONG FIGHT ON THE SPIRIT BOARD IS PURE GARBAGE TRASH

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Spirit board sucks imho. A lot of those fights are fine in World of Light because by the time you reach them you've probably got a spirit that negates any bullshit, but just trying to do them the hard way as they randomly come up in the board is a whole different story. And then, even if you do win, you might still not get the reward if you fail the extra minigame you have to do afterward.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    oh i meant world of light

which i think i'm almost done with?? i have one last little subzone and then galeem but not even half the roster available in this mode???

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    hmmmMMMmmm that's very curious isn't it

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    oh i meant world of light

which i think i'm almost done with?? i have one last little subzone and then galeem but not even half the roster available in this mode???

You're... not almost done.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    You'll get the whole roster in that mode eventually, just keep at it. Remember if you get stuck on a fight, try looking around at other nearby fights as one of them might give you a spirit that negates the most frustrating part of the one you're stuck on. Think of it like a Metroidvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWV5w9-FAg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    i've beaten every fight so far, though i cheesed the fuck out of palutena and the boss

the worst fights by farrrrr are 1vMany and also there's a shit load of items also all the robots know where the items are as soon as they spawn also the items are bullshit

hence why funky kong can bite my friggin butt ass

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Ri99yFn.png
    Next Tournament: Saturday, April 13th @ 7pm EST

I'ma remind y'all that we have a tournament tomorrow at 7PM EST! It's gonna be a fun time!!!!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    HE COMES OUT TOMORROW HOLY SHIT

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I really hate my timezone sometimes. That's today! Oh wait no carry the one.

• Options
    Joker costumes are up: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/71.html
    6 colors of his Phantom Thief outfit, 2 for his school uniform (Red Phantom Thief looks SO GOOD)

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Me five seconds ago: Mementos stage is a lame choice...

"The [stage] changes based on the music!"

Also me: BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Was expecting them to hint at the next DLC character, but I'm content with spending some time learning how to play Joker.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    D4UapdQW0AAXn5f.jpg:large

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    D4UapdQW0AAXn5f.jpg:large

It's cool, but it's missing (XX) Judgement and (XXI) The World?
    In before someone links a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure "Za Warudo" clip

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png