As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    grrmusha wrote: »
    Believe it or not, we don't have"unsalted"butter here. Every butter at the grocery store is salted, but it's such a negligible amount of salt. You have to go to healthy food stores to try to find find unsalted ones.

It really does feel like a distinctly american thing. The butter cooler portion of Wegmans has some European and Irish butters and they're all salted too.

Not at all. Plugra comes in both salted and unsalted varieties, as do most of the other European butters at my local grocery stores.

When I did pastry school, the two things the French pastry chefs tried to impress on everyone first were: A) Measure by weight, not volume and B) Get used to using unsalted butter for everything, not salted butter like most Americans.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    grrmusha wrote: »
    Believe it or not, we don't have"unsalted"butter here. Every butter at the grocery store is salted, but it's such a negligible amount of salt. You have to go to healthy food stores to try to find find unsalted ones.

It really does feel like a distinctly american thing. The butter cooler portion of Wegmans has some European and Irish butters and they're all salted too.

Unsalted butter is definitely a thing in the UK and Australia, and most places in western europe that I've lived. The french get really anal about precise butter salting. But as a product it really does tend to only be used for baking.

Wonder why Wegmans doesn't carry it. Might just not sell well?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Butter note - irish butter is so damn good. I buy Kerrygold 100% now, there's a couple other brands I want to try tho.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm trying the dill pickle flavored Lays and I'm aggressively unsure how to feel.

edit: oh god the smell won't get off my hands

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of my favourites:

129019.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That looks like some fancy fucking butter.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    One of my favourites:

129019.jpg

I feel like any application I would attempt to use this butter in would be demeaning towards the butter and it would judge me

....how's it taste

• Options
    Like pretty good butter!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Like pretty good butter!

Excellent! Now to find some pretty good bread

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That looks like some fancy fucking butter.

Nah that kind of butter comes in a tube

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    To us here butter is butter, most don't care or ask if it's salted or not, if a recipe asks for butter you just go and get plain old butter, whichever you find. I checked some common brands and salt content is like 0,01 - 0,03 g on 100 g of product.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    We've got a butter store pretty close by. I've never been, but a friend told me that it's really good. Said friend, formerly a professional chef & baker, uses that Kerrygold Irish butter for eating (unless she's been to the butter store) and unsalted for cooking.
    So par for the course, it sounds like.

EDIT: NSFW Warning -- sculpted dong http://www.buttercraftpdx.com/uploads/5/0/6/3/50635355/20160504-143758-1_orig.jpg

chromdom on
  • Options
    Kerrygold has this garlic butter I use for garlic bread. It's pretty rad.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Cooking with butter is just a joy really, I love to saute whole garlic cloves in it until they turn brown and mushy and then sometimes I'll just use those to dress a protein I cook in the garlicky butter, or I'll smush em up and smear em on like a crostini or whatever you wanna call a little piece of broiled crunchy bread.

• Options

Shiiiit. How garlicky is it? This may help with my garlic bread craving

Well....
    "help"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    We've got a butter store pretty close by. I've never been, but a friend told me that it's really good. Said friend, formerly a professional chef & baker, uses that Kerrygold Irish butter for eating (unless she's been to the butter store) and unsalted for cooking.
    So par for the course, it sounds like.

EDIT: NSFW Warning -- sculpted dong http://www.buttercraftpdx.com/uploads/5/0/6/3/50635355/20160504-143758-1_orig.jpg

butter store?

talk about a great business idea

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I hear the regulars are all pretty slick customers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Shiiiit. How garlicky is it? This may help with my garlic bread craving

Well....
    "help"

Its really strong. I didnt use a lot but it still had a ton of flavor. I would reccomend melting it and using a brush though.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear the regulars are all pretty slick customers.

Seems like there wouldn't be a lot of repeat customers; it'd be a high-churn business.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The only places I've been where you couldn't find both salted and unsalted varieties of butter are... places here in Asia, but not Singapore.

Honestly I bake a lot, and I feel confident that I'm very good at it, and it's only for specific types of bakes that I bother to buy unsalted butter (partially because quality butter costs ~6 SGD+ a block here). It's much more important in my experience to pay attention to the fat content of the butter and whether it's pure butter at all. I've learned my lesson there because some of the European brands that are available in Singapore have much higher fat content and it makes a pie crust an oily mess if you use the same quantity as you would with American butter.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I've found very few recipes that are negatively impacted by the small amount of salt in salted butter. I'm sure they do exist, but at most I just adjust any additional salt accordingly.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Butter note - irish butter is so damn good. I buy Kerrygold 100% now, there's a couple other brands I want to try tho.

Kerrygold is the fuckin’ shit.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't like irish butter, it tastes too weird to me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    @FAQ better degrease yourself

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    bite your tongue, nic

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    only if my mouth is crammed with delicious butter

• Options
    you're in america now

by law it should be

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    you're in america now

by law it should be

You’re thinking of sugar.

Butter would be France.

• Options
    your butter is white, it's weird

• Options
    wow

rude much?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    your butter is white, it's weird

The white nationalism problem is way out of control these days, it’s true.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    our margarine used to be pink!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    our margarine used to be pink!

what

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Yeah! At least in some places. See back in the days everyone was like FUCK MARGARINE IT'S PLASTIC BASICALLY especially dairy farmers in the midwest so they tugged on the ears of some of their big-dollar buddies in state legislatures and whatnot and they passed a law that said "THIS ISN'T REAL BUTTER AND PRESENTING IT AS SUCH WITH ARTIFICIAL YELLOW COLORING IS MISLEADING MAKE IT FUCKIN PINK." some places got around this by having, no kidding, white margarine with knead-in coloring packets and shit, until everyone realized this was all really stupid.

so i heard anyway.

edit: i was probably remembering certain details from this nat geo article!
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2014/08/13/the-butter-wars-when-margarine-was-pink/

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    tx0fgq3hjwxl.png

Pizza-blasted ranch dressing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I initially read that as BLAZED!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    You'd have to be to eat it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well most people eating it will be, so.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well most people eating it will be, so.

https://youtu.be/loF8Q15b2-I

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    CURSE YOU HEDGEHOG

This discussion has been closed.