As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That stuffed up, huh?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No my mouth was just bored

Neither of those things are spicy enough to affect my sinuses

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Everyone I know who works in a kitchen has played the condiment chicken game.

You basically come up with a random slurry of spices, sauces, condiments, juices, liquids, etc and dare someone to eat/drink it. If they manage to so it without puking, they get to prepare their own concoction for you.

It's a cutthroat game, but my go-to, never-fail vomit inducer was black pepper, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ... I'd at least try it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

You basically come up with a random slurry of spices, sauces, condiments, juices, liquids, etc and dare someone to eat/drink it. If they manage to so it without puking, they get to prepare their own concoction for you.

It's a cutthroat game, but my go-to, never-fail vomit inducer was black pepper, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.

I was like "yeah that seems fine" until I got to the vanilla.

That would make me puke all on its own, that shit is overwhelming.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    When my mouth is bored sometimes I will eat a jelly bean or two jelly beans.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

you have anosmia(?) right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Yes but I don't think it has any impact on my reaction to spicy food. Wasabi and mustard will still whoosh through my sinuses, and sufficiently hot chilies will make my eyes water and nose run.

Black pepper and tobasco just don't hit that kind of level.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

whoops how did these two jelly beans turn into fifty jelly beans, and now I'm out of jelly beans somehow??

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

I was like "yeah that seems fine" until I got to the vanilla.

That would make me puke all on its own, that shit is overwhelming.

One time someone had me take a shot that consisted of white vinegar, spicy brown mustard, mint extract, and 3 packets of sweet-n-low.

It was hard to even type that out without gagging at the memory.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Love Irish stew

With lamb or beef? Apparently it's supposed to be lamb but my mam would make it with beef. I loved it.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    you villains have tricked me into actually craving some hamburger helper stroganoff, I haven't had it since I was a teen

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Calm down, you madman.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    what should i get for my last meal before i gotta fast for surgery tonight

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Taco Bell.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I saw the taco bell sunflower seeds in a store today, was not curious enough to buy them.

• Options

McNuggets.

• Options

hamburger helper

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Taco Bell.

May as well. Already going to the hospital.

• Options
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    I saw the taco bell sunflower seeds in a store today, was not curious enough to buy them.

coward

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    I want goulash with gnocchi now. *wipes drool*

• Options

Pigs-in-blankets and champagne?

• Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Get you some Ortolan, AJ

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Get you some Ortolan, AJ

At Taco fucking Bell?

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Calm down, you madman.

Speaking of outlandish food ideas, the bag of potatoes I bought has a recipe on it. "Classic potatoes...with a twist!"

What they want you to do is take a pound of potatoes, and then mash them with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Innovative.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Straight cinnamon in pretty much any quantity will fuck you up quick.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

Straight cinnamon in pretty much any quantity will fuck you up quick.

Yeah, that was considered a straight up cheat. You couldn't use straight cinnamon that wasn't mixed with some kind of liquid.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Get you some Ortolan, AJ

At Taco fucking Bell?

yeah where else

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Get you some Ortolan, AJ

At Taco fucking Bell?

yeah where else

I don't think they have ortolan at Taco Bell because they don't have a room dark enough to hide you from God while you eat it.

• Options

Yes but I don't think it has any impact on my reaction to spicy food. Wasabi and mustard will still whoosh through my sinuses, and sufficiently hot chilies will make my eyes water and nose run.

I'm always interested how it works for the anosmiacs, it's like an alien world for me on the other end of the spectrum

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I'm always interested how it works for the anosmiacs, it's like an alien world for me on the other end of the spectrum

I don't think there's a blanket set of experiences, a lot depends on where and how you lost your sense of smell. I know people who find everything tastes like cardboard, but I actually have an exceptionally good sense of taste, and as a bonus I can't be fooled by the ol "hold your nose and eat this apple" trick.

There are a handful of spices and aromatics where virtually none of the receptors triggered have correlates in the nerve pathways from the mouth, and those I definitely do lose out on (truffles do nothing more for me flavour-wise than other strong mushrooms), but I lost my sense of smell at a young enough age that brain plasticity has compensated for pretty much everything else. My tolerance for spicy food has far more to do with eating a lot of korean and vietnamese and thai while growing up, I expect.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Love Irish stew

With lamb or beef? Apparently it's supposed to be lamb but my mam would make it with beef. I loved it.

Oh, I've only known the variety with beef so far! Didn't know that it was originally made with goat or mutton but that makes sense

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Get you some Ortolan, AJ

At Taco fucking Bell?

yeah where else

I don't think they have ortolan at Taco Bell because they don't have a room dark enough to hide you from God while you eat it.

That's the beauty of it. You think God ever looks at a Taco Bell?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Calm down, you madman.

Speaking of outlandish food ideas, the bag of potatoes I bought has a recipe on it. "Classic potatoes...with a twist!"

What they want you to do is take a pound of potatoes, and then mash them with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Innovative.

It's just crazy enough to work!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.

You must have a lot more free time and free space than I do.

• Options
    i went with lots of veal and pasta

this place makes veal sausage too

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I don't think there's a blanket set of experiences, a lot depends on where and how you lost your sense of smell. I know people who find everything tastes like cardboard, but I actually have an exceptionally good sense of taste, and as a bonus I can't be fooled by the ol "hold your nose and eat this apple" trick.

There are a handful of spices and aromatics where virtually none of the receptors triggered have correlates in the nerve pathways from the mouth, and those I definitely do lose out on (truffles do nothing more for me flavour-wise than other strong mushrooms), but I lost my sense of smell at a young enough age that brain plasticity has compensated for pretty much everything else. My tolerance for spicy food has far more to do with eating a lot of korean and vietnamese and thai while growing up, I expect.

The only taste I can't use the hold your nose trick on is bitter. It can't quite describe what is happening with my tongue and tasting because I don't have the words for it, but it's almost like I can "smell" it with my tongue... is that how taste kind of works for you?

• Options
    also spicy foods are awesome I need them all thanks

• Options
    No clue, don't know what smelling things is like. Is it like tasting with your nose?

This discussion has been closed.