Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

17980828485101

Posts

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Another ingredient that makes bread not vegan is honey.

    I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

    And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

    I guess by definition of vegan the latter is correct?

    You've stumbled on another blood feud argument between vegans. Congrats!

    I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

    Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

    Human blood is perfectly vegan.

    #themoreyouknow

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    3clipse
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Superiority Burger do vegetarian "burgers", though they don't try to taste like meat or have the same texture, they're just roughly the same size and shape. And, honestly, I can't think of a meat burger I've had that's obviously better than the "burger" I had there, it was amazing.

  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Another ingredient that makes bread not vegan is honey.

    I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

    And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

    I guess by definition of vegan the latter is correct?

    You've stumbled on another blood feud argument between vegans. Congrats!

    I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

    Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

    Human blood is perfectly vegan.

    #themoreyouknow

    Are cannibals vegan?

    steam_sig.png
    twitch.tv/kragaar
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Another ingredient that makes bread not vegan is honey.

    I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

    And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

    I guess by definition of vegan the latter is correct?

    You've stumbled on another blood feud argument between vegans. Congrats!

    I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

    Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

    Human blood is perfectly vegan.

    #themoreyouknow

    Are cannibals vegan?

    It all comes down to consent.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    This week, I made a slow-cooker beef chuck shoulder to shred and make roast beef sandwiches for lunch at work. It was pretty simple, just chuck and beef broth and crushed garlic and caramelized onions, pretty good sandwiches.

    Anyway, I was also having fried chicken for dinner this week, because fuck you corporeal form, I guess, and I decided to use the leftover liquid in the slow cooker to boil the potatoes for the mashed potatoes.

    These are easily the best potatoes I have ever had, anywhere. They may be the best food I've had, period. They are intensely savory and I think you could serve them as a main dish with sides. They are way more brown than mashed potatoes should be if you're serving them for other people, but I don't care, I love them.

    Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    chromdomXaquinKaplarApocalyptusknitdangodmodetynicFrylockHolmesNaphtalidjmitchellaHappy Little Machine
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I've had plenty of bad pizza, weird dough textures, bad sauce, poorly cooked, etc

    It's pretty easy to mess up cooking

    I still remember the place in college where the selling point was the pizzas came in sizes up to 48”.

    But they always overyeasted the dough and used crappy tomato sauce so it tasted like a 48” circle of garbage.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Monday I have off work so I'm thinking of cooking up a full packer brisket. I haven't made one since January and its time to get back into the habit. I try for 1 brisket a month.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This week, I made a slow-cooker beef chuck shoulder to shred and make roast beef sandwiches for lunch at work. It was pretty simple, just chuck and beef broth and crushed garlic and caramelized onions, pretty good sandwiches.

    Anyway, I was also having fried chicken for dinner this week, because fuck you corporeal form, I guess, and I decided to use the leftover liquid in the slow cooker to boil the potatoes for the mashed potatoes.

    These are easily the best potatoes I have ever had, anywhere. They may be the best food I've had, period. They are intensely savory and I think you could serve them as a main dish with sides. They are way more brown than mashed potatoes should be if you're serving them for other people, but I don't care, I love them.

    Sounds like you should try making your hand at gravy for poutine with your drippings next time.

    Jedoc
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ok the sausage cake sausage is marinating

    Soon we shall see if this belongs in this thread or the good food thread

    1te271a4d7d6.jpg

    NaphtaliMichaelLCSporkAndrewKaplarJedoc3clipseBahamutZEROQuantumTurkNightDragonjgeisV1mSlacker71ApocalyptusgodmodeKetarlonelyahavaHappy Little Machine
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Matcha

    Tastes weird but good

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    My hero. I also wanted to make the recipe but wasn't willing to potentially waste a pound of meat etc.

    XaquinJedoc
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The sausage is good!

    2umzd3jz02q1.jpg

    The first second you get a hit of coffee, followed by the cloves and allspice, and then it all kind of melds into deliciousness.

    I think it will really be best in sausage gravy though.

    Next time I will halve the amount of cloves and allspice and add some hot paprika

    BahamutZEROjgeisApocalyptusE.CoyoteJedocPeentynicchromdomdjmitchellaSporkAndrewSorcegodmodeHappy Little Machine
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    This is a joke but it still belongs here:

    [
    webguy20NightDragonTynnan#pipedjmitchellagodmodeMaximum
  • KaplarKaplar Registered User regular
    Her smile even says "kill me".

    Xaquin3clipseMichaelLCE.CoyoteLabel
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I’d eat it

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    SorceSlacker71
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Meanwhile...

    ma9b3zxs4jvj.jpeg

    3 hours to go. Think I’m gonna do up some sausages to tide me over

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    JansontynicchromdomXaquinBahamutZEROKaplardjmitchella3clipsejgeiswebguy20chrishallett83ApocalyptusSporkAndrewSorcebowenSlacker71godmodeCentipede DamascusHappy Little Machine
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Turns out 3 hours was wildly optimistic

    It was more like 4.5

    Pork was good though!

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    KaplarBahamutZEROSorceXaquinbowenJansonSlacker71godmodeTynnanHappy Little Machine
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    jgeis wrote: »
    This is a joke but it still belongs here:


    *Incoherent screaming*

    Zunde on
    Sorce
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Should go pretty well with some pineapple cubes too

    tylvh4k5gys0.gif
    V1mSlacker71MichaelLC
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

    q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
    Peasgrrmushawebguy20chromdomDouglasDangerNaphtaligodmodeAndy Joelonelyahava3clipseSlacker71KaplarHappy Little Machine
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Whoa that looks really good

    tylvh4k5gys0.gif
    Shortywebguy20chromdomDouglasDangerAndy JoeSlacker71
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The sausage is good!

    2umzd3jz02q1.jpg

    The first second you get a hit of coffee, followed by the cloves and allspice, and then it all kind of melds into deliciousness.

    I think it will really be best in sausage gravy though.

    Next time I will halve the amount of cloves and allspice and add some hot paprika

    The sausage gravy is really good. I won't lie, I do enjoy other sausages more, but I'm happy I tried this

    fcqc6xzgjp14.jpg

    PeasMichaelLCCommander Zoomchromdomsee317lonelyahavaSlacker71Happy Little Machine
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

    remember that scene in men in black when tommy lee jones is just demanding that the bug eat him

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    Rorshach Kringlechrishallett83godmodeSorceAndy JoeSlacker71KaplarCentipede Damascus
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

    q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

    I like this too but I need some capers or something to cut through all that richness

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

    remember that scene in men in black when tommy lee jones is just demanding that the bug eat him

    This one?



    Yes, yes I do.

  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

    q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

    I like this too but I need some capers or something to cut through all that richness

    If you ever get the chance, try it with deep fried capers and pickled onions. So good, especially with a decent shake of your finest hot sauce

    OS7cMrU.gifmCdVpud.gifrUjW0QU.gifpAvatar_8513.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Deep fried capers huh?

    That's a new one

    ShortychromdomApocalyptus
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Hey, guess who just forgot that there's a marathon going on two blocks away from my house, and turned what should have been a 1.3 mile delivery into a 15-mile goose chase for some poor delivery driver?

    It's me. I did that terrible thing.

    Whelp, time to see how high the tipping function goes on this app!

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

    q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

    I like this too but I need some capers or something to cut through all that richness

    Indeed! I did add some French Herb Blend (https://www.thespicehouse.com/fines-herbes-french-herb-blend) after the picture, but yeah capers would be good.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    watermelon gummy candies coated with sweet-sour powder and salt are dangerous

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I assume that's also vegan cheese, or is the pizza just meant to be a cruel anti-vegan joke

    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    doesn't look half bad as far as a vegan pizza usually looks

    Ladies.
    Kaplar
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I assume that's also vegan cheese, or is the pizza just meant to be a cruel anti-vegan joke

    They don't have vegan cheese near as I can tell

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    3clipse wrote: »
    I assume that's also vegan cheese, or is the pizza just meant to be a cruel anti-vegan joke

    They don't have vegan cheese near as I can tell

    They have vegan cheese at all locations.

    (also, their dough and both types of red sauces are 100% vegan)

    minor incident on
    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is pizza dough from restaurants not normally vegan? When I've made it at home it's never had dairy or animal product in it, although deep dish dough is definitely not vegan it's like 95% butter.

    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    as far as i'm aware most pizza dough (in the states anyway) is like, usually bread flower or cake flower, active cake yeast, and some salt. maybe olive oil but that depends.

    edit: and water, of course.

    Metzger Meister on
    Xaquin
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Is pizza dough from restaurants not normally vegan? When I've made it at home it's never had dairy or animal product in it, although deep dish dough is definitely not vegan it's like 95% butter.

    It usually is--especially at smaller pizza joints--but some chain restaurants use non-vegan ingredients (eggs, milk) in some of their doughs. I believe Pizza Hut and Domino's both do in their deep dish, and I think at one point all Papa John's dough was not vegan.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    I've heard that white flour isn't always vegan because the bleaching process sometimes uses animal bones and byproducts to achieve the white color. So you'd want something that's specifically vegan friendly there?

    bowen on
    Ladies.
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've heard that white flour isn't always vegan because the bleaching process sometimes uses animal bones and byproducts to achieve the white color. So you'd want something that's specifically vegan friendly there?

    Nah, that's not really done anymore. Animal bone char is only used to bleach sugar in certain regions in the US (although most sugar these days does not use it anymore, there's still a decent chunk that does). Flour is normally chemically bleached instead. And as far as the bone char bleaching of sugar goes, I know a couple of people who are sticklers about that, but honestly they're the minority. It's just one of those things most people accept as shitty but unavoidable.

    The issue with pizza dough is just down to some chains adding butter/dairy to them to "improve" flavor, etc.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
Sign In or Register to comment.